Netgear R6300v2 - Region Selection in Wireless Settings is inactive

mihneabs

I have a Netgear R6300v2 bought from US, but I'm using it in Europe and I can't change the Region from North America to Europe.

I did all the firmware updates, I have a ticket to Netgear Support, but all they tell me is to reset or reflash the same firmware with no luck.

Do you think Netgear limits region selection through firmware (because this router isn't easily available in Europe)?

• 3 months later...

The region setting is primarily for the operating channels with the 2.4 GHz range. In the US, the FCC only allows channels 1 through 11 to be used. In Europe and Japan, you have the option to go up to channel 14. I suspect the chip in the US version may also be coded to lock out any attempt to flash it with the European only firmware to prevent any unauthorized attempts to use channels 12 through 14 in the US. Or Netgear could have used RF chips in the US only routers which don't have the capability to use channels 12 through 14.