Low FPS troubleshooting guide

enchained

I’d like to tell you all the steps I took to fix my low FPS issue in Y500 650 SLI. In the end, my issue was probably a rare one, but the steps can help figure things out in your case even with different laptop models.

So, you’re having a low FPS, you’ve measured it using Steam, Nvidia, in-game, or via Fraps, and it’s not what it was before, or it’s not up to benchmarks and reviews of similar configurations.

You need to check everything that could impact that.

Drivers

Update your drivers. But only after making sure that it won't affect your specific system, GPU, SLI config or desired game, and write down your current version in case the system won’t be able to roll back. There was a time when I updated drivers only to find out that it came out yesterday and my new-ish game can’t launch with it at all. Just google those things to be on the safe side.

Also, if you have Nvidia, install GeForce Experience if you don’t have it yet (I know, it sucks that registration is required, but we have to deal with it). You can update your drivers from there, and its game-specific optimization could have a positive impact on your FPS.

Settings

If you’ve already done the control panel settings before, remember: some things reset after each driver update, for example, I have to turn on SLI every time.

You need to check your GPU settings. In Nvidia case go to its control panel, and play with different performance settings in 3D menu. Don’t forget to apply settings. 

Then in SLI/Surround/PhysX menu make sure that something other than CPU is selected for PhysX  (also with SLI: SLI configuration should be on Maximize 3d performance). Then make sure that they are indeed being used in-game - for example, GPU-Z can show each GPU's load real-time graph.

Some laptop models have both integrated and discrete GPU available, and switch between them on the go without asking you. Check your card’s load graph to make sure that's not what happens.

By the way, not all games support SLI and will only use your first GPU, so make sure you test on a compatible game.

Overheating

I’m not sure how to deal with the GPU overheating issue, but I’m using a cooling pad with a fan when playing most demanding games.
You can see your GPU temperature in lots of software tools, I use GPU-Z for that too. As for safe temp, it can differ between generations so it’s better to google it for a specific model.

Power settings

Is your laptop plugged in or on battery? Do you have power saver options on? Usually laptops slow their system down when on battery, so it’s no way to test FPS like that. 

Even if you’re plugged in, check your power management settings. Choose High Performance plan in Windows power settings, you can also reset it to default settings in case it was modified. If you also have Lenovo Energy Management tool installed - make sure it’s also on performance mode.

Frequency

Compare your frequency in-game with the one from your GPU specs.

For example with 650M I googled the specs:
in Graphics Clock (MHz) it says Up to 900 MHz
Then I loaded GPU-Z and there it was nowhere near 900 - it capped to 135 MHz in-game.

In my case, my battery was never used (always on plugged in) and somehow it started tricking the GPU’s telling them that I’m on battery and lowered their frequency. I had to get rid of the faulty battery completely to fix it. Didn’t try with a new one yet.

Some details: I used Lenovo Energy Management tool - that one with bright colors and dust removal mode. I always had it on High Performance (and same for windows power settings) and used the laptop plugged in all the time. As for the battery, it always was in optimized battery health mode”, so it always was like 60ish % charged, and I didn’t notice when it changed, but when troubles started it was saying 100%. Another battery’s fault giveaway was that when I switched between battery health and battery life mode, frequency in GPU-Z jumped to desired 900 MHz for a split second and then back.

Software mentioned: 
Lenovo Energy Management tool: http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/be/en/

I’m sure I missed some important points, and would like to include any useful tips in the future.