EGPU setup in computer tower

1TrikPony

Hello Everyone,

First timer here and thank you for the amazing amounts of information you have all provided and gathered. Truly remarkable group of individuals.

So I haven't seen where someone has done this yet, but I'm trying to build a single "box" to encapsulate all of my components both for my 3 external monitors plus their respective DVI/HDMI cables, as well as my eGPU setup. Effectively, this means I'd like to build using an adapter that does NOT come with the entire enclosure/chassis prebuilt.

What I would like to do is have a single Computer Case/Tower to hold:

eGPU adapter

GPU with full length space in order to upgrade to the 10 Series when Pascal is compatible with Sierra.

Power Source

Surge protecter INSIDE the case to plug in all 3 external monitors and the power source

Ability to upgrade to thunderbolt 3 when applicable

At the end of the day I'm trying to build a single box with the only cords sticking out of it being a single Thunderbolt plug and a single power cable and maybe the capability to plug in a USB peripheral to the case as an added bonus.

I've got everything pretty much figured out with the case, plugs, surge protector and all except I can't seem to find an eGPU adapter without the chassis included to convert from Thunderbolt to PCIE.

I would really appreciate any insight or help for most importantly, if there is an adapter to suit what I want to do, and what would be the best eGPU with the least number of issues to use on the Mac side.

My current setup:

Early 2014 Macbook Air

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3 (beta)

Thunderbolt 1 port

1.7 i7

8GB Ram 1600 MHZ DDR3

Intel HD 5000

500GB SSD

VMware Fusion 8

3BenQ GL2460's

Matrox TripleHead2GO

Thanks in advance for your help and I'll be happy to share pics and tutorial on the project when I finish.

Unknown-2.jpeg