M17XR3 880M upgrade fun - blank screen during boot

bodo

Hey Folks,

I am currently having tons of (admitedly scary) fun with 880M upgrade in M17XR3 (old card AMD6990M). Apart from "usual" issues with audio,DSE,throttling,heat,heatsink mods I also encountered something I didn't read about in the forums...so thought I would share the details and check if anybody made this experience too and how normal/common it is:

Story:

after doing a really simple benchmark to see why 880m is throttling (yaaay "PWR"), shutdown the machine for the night.

btw. setup was: 372.xx drivers modded (laptopvideo2go), unigine+gpu-z+hwinfo running first, then just unigine+gpu-z

next morning powerup, backlight comes up, but no "alien logo"

10-20x more powerups, still no change.

bios resets, reseating of old 6990m card (no probs here), bios changes, cmos battery removing, fn-resets etc...nothing works for 880m and still see just a black screen with backlight on

somehow I busted my win10 install too, so another reinstall running...

in the meantime realized 880m works actually (judging by hdd/usb activity), only I see nothing...something like vbios damage? hmmm...

i got to the stage where new win10 was installed (using iGFX)

BIOS to defaults, audio OFF, switched again to PEG, iGFX off. 880m back in, boot and...still black/blank screen...windows booting...judging by hdd activity led.

*however*

after boot finished, knowing at which stage win10 was up, I just pressed briefly "alien/pwr" button to power the laptop down gracefully.

boom! since next powerup I see alien logo back again, everything works, like nothing happened. 12hrs of my life gone chasing ghosts.

So is this a known experience? anybody can share some more info to this? any other ways out of this trap? how to avoid it? I was not too far away from blind vbios flashing, which as seems might not have been the best idea...?

Any thoughts appreciated, thx!

Rgds,B.

Edited by bodo

hmmm...ok looks I am alone on this one, that's OK. I had some more of the same trouble after, but lack of response gave me also something to think about "connection where there should not be one" so I removed the card, gave it a proper cleaning once again, also reinserted battery for further tests and since then I have not seen the issue again.

The card is still giving stability issues when pushed, fighting with this currently, will keep the thread updated.

Edited by bodo