Best PSU for AMD R9-290X

RKelley

Greetings all,

After reading tons of threads on this site (awesome info!), I ordered an Akitio Thunder2 box with a 2M thunderbolt cable.  I have a spare R9-290X card which requires 1x 6Pin and 1x 8Pin connectors to use as a test.  From what I have read, the 6-pin pulls 75W and the 8-pin pulls 150W.  Thus, I need a 235W PSU (225 for video card and 10W for Akitio unit).  Is this correct?  If so, is there an external "brick" I can use to power this setup? While I do have an normal PC PSU, I would much prefer to use one of the brick units (Dell DA-2, etc) to keep everything looking good.  

Once everything is running well, my son is going to CAD a custom box and make it in his fab lab.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2016 at 10:05 PM, RKelley said:

From what I have read, the 6-pin pulls 75W and the 8-pin pulls 150W

Irrelevant.

Just because a connector is rated for a certain power doesn't mean it will utilise it.

Go find the actual TDP of the specific card itself.

On 10/28/2016 at 10:05 PM, RKelley said:

If so, is there an external "brick" I can use to power this setup?

You might be able to get away with using a single Dell DA-2 if you're willing to undervolt/underclock the card to lower its power requirements.

Otherwise, you'll have to strap two DA-2's together - At which point it might just be easier to use a regular ATX PSU.

I managed to power a 244W GTX580 using a 216W 12V rail after undervolting it.