• FlexiAccess (mobile CCC App)

• New Tcon (HW g-sync)

• ESSTM SABRE HiFi DAC (headphone)

• SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB5

• Additional USB 3.1 port

• Wlan 802.11ad

• Touchpad Integrated Fingerprint Sensor

booth_front.jpg

Will try to update this post with more information as good as I can!

I am currently traveling, on a VERY unstable connection and have a damaged Notebook battery as well, so please bare with me! 

Shoutout @EVOC who is currently on location!

THX to him & mobile01 for providing the shots!

Nice! I wish I could be there. That sure looks a whole lot more interesting than the trash from Micro$lop.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, testing new CPU and GPU hardware is always interesting. It would be nice to have a very high quality 120Hz (or higher) 1080 or 1440p screen for the P870DM-G.

I'm really not interested in VR either. It just doesn't excite me for some reason. Maybe it is the dorky extra peripheral crap that goes along with it that turns me off. Or, maybe it is the high cost of the equipment that I view as superfluous and non-essential for a quality computing experience. At any rate, I think my interest will remain curbed while we wait for the 'holodeck' version. 

While far from scientific, it is interesting to note the results from the latest poll at Eurocom.com on this subject. Looks like more than half of those that have responded are not planning to use VR.

vr_meh.JPG

Edited by Guest

120Hz you say.

I saw that 120Hz was supposedly making a comeback from ASUS first, but who cares about ASUS. Glad to see it's hitting the actual gaming machines.

Now I only hope that the panels have decent enough response times and then I'd be golden! Honestly, this is a HUGE load off my shoulders for if I want to upgrade to a new laptop. Officially, it will no longer automagically be a downgrade just to get a new machine.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Prema said:

It's 120Hz AND g-sync this time... ;)

Wonder if that will be a bolt-in upgrade possibility for existing P870DM-G owners or if the connection on the mobo will be a point of blockage?

1 hour ago, Prema said:

Mmm I don't know how Gsync would work for me. But yes, that's good =D.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Wonder if that will be a bolt-in upgrade possibility for existing P870DM-G owners or if the connection on the mobo will be a point of blockage?

It likely will simply be a bolt-in --> BIOS upgrade. If they change the LCD cover, then that means the model will need a revamp. They're going to use eDP anyway, so it likely won't matter too much about the connection.

Unless they make a new P870DM for Kaby Lake & Pascal to go alongside the 120Hz panels. 

• Founder
2 hours ago, Prema said:

What if you drop in a Polaris gpu later on, will the display give any troubles? And is there going to be a freesync model?

Clevo doesn't specifically advertise any AMD GPUs for the new/refresh models...at this point they are all still prototypes, so we will have to see...

But their BIOS usually at least has support for them and they offer drop-in cards as an alternative (That being for the upgradeable DM models).

EDIT: OP updated with new M940MX model N550RN

The refreshes are very similar except for an additional USB 3.1 (USB 2.0 is gone), updated audio licenses (ESSTM SABRE HiFi DAC (headphone) / SOUND BLASTER® X-FI® MB5), official Kaby support etc...

Biggest change is that NVIDIA stopped giving ODMs MXM Reference designs.

The last two MXM supporter MSI and Clevo have to design/create their own solutions or join the BGA club (everyone else), which they don't do just yet...but vote with your wallets for upgrade-ability or it won't last much longer.

Thanks for posting pics, Prema) My guess is that 120hz panels are same cherry picked LG ones that ship now with the same 72% NTSC colour gammut.

I had my hopes they update new laptops not just in internals, but refresh exterior a little bit, facelift if you wish) The real letdown of Clevo laptops is the keyboard. P6xx kb is such a pain. Ok, now it has 3 section color lighting, but it's not enough. Sager should release P775DM2 for sure, though) At least DM series is future proof for new cpus and gpus.

Do you, Prema, think this is all Clevo's got under the sleeve this year?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

The 120Hz screens are entirely new models as the old (thick) format can not fit the new LIDs.

Clevo has more stuff coming, which they didn't wanna show , yet.

Even the ones that are on display are still quiet a bit head of their launch...

There will also be 3K screens with 120Hz.

There will be 4K 120Hz down the road (late Q4)..., I am not aware of other resolutions.

Just wish they would bring 3D back along with them.

• Founder
8 hours ago, Prema said:

The refreshes are very similar except for an additional USB 3.1 (USB 2.0 is gone), updated audio licenses (ESSTM SABRE HiFi DAC (headphone) / SOUND BLASTER® X-FI® MB5), official Kaby support etc...

Biggest change is that NVIDIA stopped giving ODMs MXM Reference designs.

The last two MXM supporter MSI and Clevo have to design/create their own solutions or join the BGA club (everyone else), which they don't do just yet...but vote with your wallets for upgrade-ability or it won't last much longer.

Has nvidia given a reason for not making mxm reference boards anymore? I'm guessing the cost vs volume wasn't worth it for them and that's why. However, I bet MSI and Clevo could threaten to go all Polaris and that would convince nvidia to make the reference board.

11 minutes ago, fejerm said:

Any chance for current P775DM1-G owners to upgrade to that new 120hz screen ? 

Or the connector + design is so different which will not make it backward compatyble?

The 120Hz FHD should work just fine (given the DM2 cable can fit)  in current DM models (minus g-sync)...the higher res will exceed the current DM model eDP bandwidth...  

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

Has nvidia given a reason for not making mxm reference boards anymore? I'm guessing the cost vs volume wasn't worth it for them and that's why. However, I bet MSI and Clevo could threaten to go all Polaris and that would convince nvidia to make the reference board.

They would like to see people Better Get Another one each year than upgrade their current model...

• Founder
37 minutes ago, Prema said:

The 120Hz FHD should work just fine (given the DM2 cable can fit)  in current DM models (minus g-sync)...the higher res will exceed the current DM model eDP bandwidth...  

They would like to see people Better Get Another one each year than upgrade their current model...

That doesn't make sense though because they still make money off an MXM board sale vs BGA. In fact they could probably get away with charging more for the MXM version. I suspect it might have been due to push back from companies like Dell and Asus wanting consumers to throw away their laptops and do full upgrades vs putting in an MXM GPU. So it comes back to BGA but not necessarily because NVIDIA wanted it that way. Plus as I said before, I suspect with the dwindling MXM market, NVIDIA probably wasn't making money on reference designs or were breaking even and decided not to make them. That's why they're charging their $100 tax on desktop reference cards now because they said it was costing them money in the long run to maintain the reference design. 

If people just plug a new card into an old board they only earn selling a chip. (MXM cards are all made in the same ODM factory, not NVIDIA).

Each time a new Notebook is made they get a license per Notebook and per GPU mpdel for driver, G-sync, SLI, Optimus, 3D etc on top of the chips they sell.

They don't have to invest in an upgraded MXM standard to support cards that need more space/watt which only two ODMs are interested in anyway...

(The enthusiast gaming market is rather small. Big cash is mainstream/mass of the shelf cheap stuff and Pro market)

Plus it's a great sell to ODMs that can cut costs/jobs in the service/upgrade sector as people need a new board if something breaks and are forced to buy a new system if they wanna upgrade.

2 hours ago, Prema said:

It would be awesome if I can just buy an 120Hz FHD and plug it in on my P870DM. I don't care if the G-SYNC ends up disabled, since I disable it myself already. I don't need that feature for anything. I'd much rather have a 120Hz FHD screen than G-STINK.

Voting with the wallet is definitely the way to go. The OEMs will have no motivation to sell turdbooks with Intel and NVIDIA BGA filth if enough people wise up and refuse to spend money on feces. The only way we're going to fix stupid is by killing it (making it unprofitable).  I know they make less money when people can upgrade, but let's face it... making less money selling machines that are upgradable is a whole lot better than not being able to sell anything when it's not. The smart businesses, like Eurocom and HIDevolution, know this and cater to upgraders by making the parts they need readily available and advertising their support for upgraders.