AW 14 mSATA or SSD?

Sorry if this is very noob but I'm getting conflicting answers to this:

I want to upgrade my AW 14 HD and want to go with SSD as the primary boot. What's the difference if I replace my HDD with an SSD vs. adding an mSATA? Is mSATA faster booting?

What I plan to do is leave the HDD as a storage only device and use either SSD or mSATA as the boot/OS. Which is better for that? And would there be any benefit to having both mSATA and SSD (other than capacity)? TIA

Edited by pando
addition

• 2 years later...

I know this is a long dead request but I figured I'd answer it for anyone who comes across this looking for the answer. An mSATA SSD and a SATA SSD are identical. The interfaces have identical speed and you can even use RAID 0 across them to give you about 1.6x the performance (around 1000MB/s on good SSDs like the Samsung 860 mSATA and SATA drives). If you are looking to use one as a boot SSD and you have a choice, I'd go with the mSATA for an SSD as it leaves a full size HDD bay for future expansion whereas mSATA is limited in what you can install in it. Hope this helps anyone with the same question.

• 9 months later...

just for futur reference (made a lot of research on this !)

the M14Xr1 has a "m.2" mini PCI-E Slot, but it does NOT Support M.2 (mSATA). even though it's the same physical connectors (Talking about the connector next to the WIFI Card on the back when you remove the back cover!)

now i'm not sure about the r2 Model (i think it does work on mSata?

now i have a cheap 'ol 120GB SSD. nothing else,

BUT you can replace your disk drive with a special adapter to add a SECOND HDD / SSD . but that would mean sacreficing your disk drive