Check out this site which shows the WiHD and mSata cards. No mention of the WiHD antenna cable though.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=151&subid=432&refine=circuit+board

The R2 had a different WiHD card than the R1 and I was told that they aren't cross-compatible. I have a the card, antenna and a receiver for an M18x R1 / M17x R3 but I've never set it up. It's still wrapped up from the day I bought them about 3-4 years ago. 

I'm having issues trying to upload some pictures here for some reason. I'm assuming you're talking about the small space just under the CMOS battery. There should be a small PCB installed here which you can plug in an mSata SSD.

The port that is next to the wifi card is for the WiHD card but you can also get other cards that can use this port. I recently bought a broken R1 and the past user had a USB card in there. It has an actual USB port connector attached to it. I'm assuming to put in a bluetooth adapter for a wireless keyboard or mouse. I'm not home right now but I can get a photo of it later.

`

Edited by MattyB
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, xapachewolfx said:

Ok so it would have been way cheaper to get a Msata and remove the ssds instead of buying a new laptop 

Is this because the SSD connector is broken? Is it the little latch on the connector that is broken or the ribbon cable? I do have spare connectors if it's just the latch but I could be one of the last people with these spare connectors. I'm sure there are more out there but finding them is the problem. The ribbon cables can break if you try to bend them and they can be expensive to replace. 

Also, yes, you can easily grab an mSata SSD and use it to run the system. It is usually very hard to find mSata's that are 1tb or larger. Most are 512gb or smaller but I haven't had a look for a while. My ribbon cable broke a while back and i ran my R2 off the mSata until I could get a replacement cable, that didn't cost me a kidney. 

On the R2 you can also use the secondary MXM slot with an NVMe adapter and run the system off that. That's what I currently have in my R2 as my boot drive

4 minutes ago, xapachewolfx said:

For the Msata do you know what that max capacity is that they take

I can find some 2tb ones on ebay and they are about $208AUD so maybe like $140USD

Here is my post on the Dell site for my NVMe adapter. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/M18x-R2-NVMe-Boot-Drive/td-p/7762416

Edited by MattyB

On 5/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, xapachewolfx said:

Yes for me it was just the latch but sometimes I noticed the my d driver will disappear so I'm going to use the Msata and nvme for a second SSD later on once I fix mine 

On 5/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, xapachewolfx said:

I did see some replacement ssd connecter on Aliexpress for the r2 but it wasn't the same 

2 minutes ago, xapachewolfx said:
On 5/17/2023 at 9:48 AM, xapachewolfx said:

Yes for me it was just the latch but sometimes I noticed the my d driver will disappear so I'm going to use the Msata and nvme for a second SSD later on once I fix mine 

if the latch isn't working properly or you jammed something in there then some of the pins may not be connecting so there's a good chance that you'll lose the drive when this happens. 

27 minutes ago, xapachewolfx said:

Yea I have to shutdown form time to time but for the nvme is it just plug and play

It's pretty much plug and play from what I remember, There could be something required to change in the BIOS but i would have to try and remember. The only issue is that the MXM slot provides constant power when the adapter is installed, even when power is removed so if you have the adapter installed then it will draw power. If you have the mains power turned off then the battery will drain. If you have the power on then the NVMe will log usage hours. You need to keep it unplugged and the battery removed when you're not using it. It's not much of an issue with the M18x as the battery is so easy to remove. It's a pain on the Alienware 18 though.

Finding the adapter can also be a challenge, I think Aliexpress could be the only place these days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Those ribbon cables used to be $80-100 which was insane. I grabbed another dead R2 and used the cable from that and used the other parts for another rebuild. 

The connectors are the hard parts to find. The small plastic securing latches can easily break if you pull them up too hard. The little legs are the most fragile things in the universe. Aliexpress have them. To replace the latch you need to remove it from the rest of the connector and not break these legs in the process. You have to cut them out carefully and then push them back in the old connector carefully. I've done it a few times.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32840833971.html

Or get someone cleaver to remove the old connector and solder on the full replacement. 

Edited by MattyB

I had tried to use the one on Aliexpress and it didn't fit

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256803328538306.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.6ebd4ecffuT109&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

6 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Can I use this to add memory 

Edited by xapachewolfx
Reposted

Not to add memory but you could add a little bit of extra storage, you'd just need to find a USB drive that will fit inside. 

I haven't tested the one I just got but I'm assuming it will work just like any other USB port.

It would be ideal for a wireless mouse or keyboard that uses a receiver. 

4 minutes ago, xapachewolfx said:

Ok thanks I'll keep that in mind when I'm rebuilding my current motherboard I also remember that I can replace the disc reader with a SSD adapter 

yeah that's always a good option since optical drives are mostly useless these days. You'll just need to keep the optical drive ribbon cable and the mounting bracket that goes around the current optical drive. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

i want to install a gtx 1060 on my m18x r2 but i have windows 11 installed, would i need to enable legacy boot mode for the gpu to work or can i use uefi boot, also is there a way to customize the splash screen so that it doesnt say 'swick' everytime i turn it on, i find it very annoying. thx

14 hours ago, GreenHouse said:

i want to install a gtx 1060 on my m18x r2 but i have windows 11 installed, would i need to enable legacy boot mode for the gpu to work or can i use uefi boot, also is there a way to customize the splash screen so that it doesnt say 'swick' everytime i turn it on, i find it very annoying. thx

How did you get windows 11 on your laptop because mines says it's not compatible also to install the 1060 you need to go to your boot menu and set it to switchable graphics (SG mode) 

• Klem changed the title to [Bios Mod] M18xR2 - Legacy Support now Available