Hey @godlikemouse this is some cool stuff. I discovered Windows 9 (Modded 8.1) recently too and i may have to try Atlas if Win7 will not stick with the 1070. Now i am facing an unusual problem, I couldn't find any info on this one. Last night i checked in late with my bios and to my surprise the owner before me flashed A14 can i flash the unlocked A11?

Edited by MyApocalypse

Have a new problem. All was good i flashed A11 and then UA11. Set the bios up to recognize the new video card. Here is where i found myself at a standstill i don't quite understand yet. All was well until I went to install modified driver. I edited the nvdmi.inf for driver 472.12. I followed this guy's video below and i was able to get the new driver through the Device Manager. When it says installing then after a little bit i get "Windows encountered a problem installing driver software for your device" in there says The System cannot find the file specified. 

My Hardware ID 1BA1&SUBSYS_05501028

I was replying as to Bios and how to get the mod bios to work. I need to know more about what laptop you are using? If you are using m18x r2 it will not work with with 1070  unless you are projecting to and external monitor. To my knowledge the best the r2 can do is 1060 on the laptop monitor if I remember what Mr. Fox said earlier in this thread. Please detail for me what laptop please?  The 1070 works great on my m17x r4. 

Mine is an M18x R2 but i did not state that before my bad. There are some users that have the R2 running with 1070 not that many though due to the card price i would think. I did research this modification before buying one otherwise i wouldn't thrown money at it XD

I know that the earlier versions of the 1070 and 1080 would not work with the M18xr2 due to the type of screen that the r2 has which is an LVDS screen and that this was due to NVIDIA and Firmware programmed into the cards. It seems now that it might work if you can get a card with the right firmware. Please share your knowledge or sources on the this please ? I would be interested to see who would supply the cards or any additional info on this would be helpful. 

I use two sources for info mod on drivers.       https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-inf-driver-modding-guide.377158/

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

Maybe these can help you double check your mod driver , If you have not used these already. 

I watched part of the video that you posted on modding the driver and the guy moves very fast and talks very fast. Maybe the guides above will help you as they did me. It took me a while the first time and several attempts. Let me know how it goes. 

Just briefly looked into 1070 on the r2 and MattyB states 1070 will work in sg mode please update me and this thread on your progress,

Hi @MyApocalypse, I've run into the same problem in the past with trying to install modded drivers.  You may need to drop down into the UEFI BIOS and turn off driver signature verification.  Then run the patched installer again.  Either that, or see if you can extract the AltasOS nvidia driver installer from the github repo and run that.  Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, MyApocalypse said:

I'll keep my progress posted in here thanks for the guides! I also just got a m17x R4 in the mail with the 3D screen :D what's the latest compatible GPU with 3D support?

The 880M is the last card with 3D support. It's basically a 780m with more vRAM and it runs hot with a higher than usual failure rate. The 780M is a better card in my opinion. 

My knowledge is dated, but the 680 was the last that supported 3D. If I am remembering correctly. I am using a 1070 but it does not support 3D. The 1080 is used by some but it requires more power than the laptop can supply from the MXM slot and would require additional wiring to the card. It does not dupport 3D to my knowledge either. I am running two 980's sli in the m18x r2 and the 1070 bench's just a little better. The 1080 will yield the about the same with out additional wiring. Bench is based on 3dmark

I stand corrected

Just noticed what MattyB stated

The 17 R1 was released with the 700M and 800M cards and the Nvidia 3D display option. Support for this was removed from the 900M series. 

The two 980M's will usually bench well but as newer games don't support SLI then the single 1070 will tend to rise above the single 980M that gets utilised. The 1060 is only marginally better than a single 980M. The cost for two 980M's is also usually much more than finding a single 1070 and using a single card allows for the secondary MXM slot to be used with an MXM to NVMe adapter. I was running a 1070 in my R2 for about a year but decided to sell it and downgraded to a single 970M. 

There aren't many success stories of getting a 1080 to work properly so I'd advise against trying that. There are RTX cards that will work but they are the Quadro variants like the Quadro RTX 3000 (~RTX 2060)

Edited by MattyB

Agreed

How well does the 1070 work in sg mode and am I correct that it must be run in sg mode?

Any 3d mark bench scores?

I no longer game on my R2 but opted for a new pc build about a year ago. Still interesting to bench new cards though. 

Yes, the 1070 MUST run in SG mode on the M18x R2 and 18 as it has to piggyback off the Intel graphics due to the LVDS display. 

The M17x R4 and 17 has the 120hz 3D display option which is eDP so the 1070 works flawlessly on these. There is some performance loss with using Optimus (SG mode) on the LVDS systems. 

Can't find my Fire Strike score but it was in the 12,000's from memory. This site won't let me load the Time Spy image but it was 5142 with a Graphic score of 5621 and CPU of 3470. CPU is the 3920XM

Those scores are better than I thought they would be! I was told incorrecrtly that the sg mode would be limiting to card performance but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks you for taking the time to post this.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:56 AM, Siplast said:

Those scores are better than I thought they would be! I was told incorrecrtly that the sg mode would be limiting to card performance but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks you for taking the time to post this.

I believe that there can be a 5-10% impact using Optimus but I don't have a comparison available. You'd have to look at a score from an M17x R4 with the 120hz display to compare them properly. One of the main issues is that Optimus causes a weird power throttle issue and you have to put the system to sleep and wake it up to fully enable the 1070 or it will sit at really low speeds. It's not ideal but these systems were never designed to take cards like these. This isn't an issue with the 120hz panels. 

Let me know if I am wasting time trying to get this working with Windows 7 lol I was using this guide provided https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-inf-driver-modding-guide.377158/ at step #3  where I copy the string for me there is no section number instead its replaced with "windows10"...  what do now?

Found this one also. Should have sent this one as well sooner

Its obviously older but still good info. Might help to id how th os are categorized

Need driver number and are you using windows 7 64 bit ?

2 hours ago, MyApocalypse said:

Let me know if I am wasting time trying to get this working with Windows 7 lol I was using this guide provided https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-inf-driver-modding-guide.377158/ at step #3  where I copy the string for me there is no section number instead its replaced with "windows10"...  what do now?

Driver mods will work fine with Windows 7 but you'll need to use a Windows 7 driver, the recent ones won't work. I'm not sure what the last supported Windows 7 Nvidia driver is but it could be something like 425.31 or around there. 

If you give me your Hardware ID from Device Manager then I can make up the ID line and the String line that you need to insert in the nvdmi.inf

• Klem changed the title to [Bios Mod] M18xR2 - Legacy Support now Available