• 7 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, xapachewolfx said:

i just got a alienware m18x r2 and i was trying to find out if i could put two gtx 1060 in it without sli and if it would make a difference if im running 2 of the same 

The 10 series cards need the system to be run in SG mode. I'm not sure if you can run SG mode with two dedicated cards. What would be the reason to run two cards not in SLI?

Hi @xapachewolfx, SLI is pretty much dead, especially with the m18x R2.  You'd be better off just running the 1060 in single graphics mode as suggested above.  It's super unfortunate that SLI was killed in this manner.  If I'd known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have spent the money to buy 2 1080s and would have instead just got a new laptop.  Best of luck with your mods and do keep in mind that the m18x R2 has a power limitation of 300v.

Edited by godlikemouse

On 2/22/2022 at 1:05 AM, xapachewolfx said:

Just get the most out of this laptop BTW what is sg mode also the main thing about not using sli is that it's dead or dieing

SG mode is Switchable Graphics (otherwise known as Optimus for Nvidia). The M18x does not have this option available unless you have the unlocked BIOS and it's a requirement for the 10 series or RTX cards. Yes, RTX cards are available and do work in the R2 

The unlocked BIOS is available here, on the first page of this thread.

Matty B.

Thank you so much. Also a question about SG mode, isn't that what the FN+F7 function is? To switch to the Intel GPU? Or what is the difference? Once again thank you so much.

Edited by M18X2012

9 hours ago, godlikemouse said:

Hi @xapachewolfx, SLI is pretty much dead, especially with the m18x R2.  You'd be better off just running the 1060 in single graphics mode as suggested above.  It's super unfortunate that SLI was killed in this manner.  If I'd known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have spent the money to buy 2 1080s and would have instead just got a new laptop.  Best of luck with your mods and do keep in mind that the m18x R2 has a power limitation of 300v.

thanks  ill keep this in mind  

The swick bios works well, as that is what I have on my R2 running 980's in sli. Single 1060 is not worth the hastle and no gain on performance over 980 according to Mr. fox. Mr Fox comments are in this discussion toward the beginning I believe.

Looks like it cost 6.00 now from swick and svl7. The instructions in this post are all you need and the bios download. I can say it works perfectly. I dont have any experience with 1060 mxm to offer.

On 3/2/2022 at 3:13 PM, M18X2012 said:

Matty B.

Thank you so much. Also a question about SG mode, isn't that what the FN+F7 function is? To switch to the Intel GPU? Or what is the difference? Once again thank you so much.

Yes that is what the function keys are for but that isn't SG graphics. The SG mode is swapping 'on-the-fly'. The function key swap uses the Alienware OSD driver and is a BIOS swap which is why the system has to restart after doing the change. SG mode isn't a default setting in the M18x or 18 so the unlocked BIOS is required if you have a GPU that needs SG mode to run. 

You need to flash the BIOS. Did you get the BIOS from here? It should have the BIOS file plus a few other files for the flash. Instructions in the link below.

6 hours ago, xapachewolfx said:

i donate the 6 bucks but the download link doesnt work 

Same here, I was PM'd the bios but then the conversation was deleted. I haven't  gotten time to do this mod yet. I'm working OT and got little free time.

Are you trying to download from the downloads section? You should have enough posts now to get the downloads from free. Once someone activates your account then you can just go to the downloads section and grab the files you need. 

7 hours ago, xapachewolfx said:

I got the file. Don't mind the donation either. I appreciate the work. What gets me excited is that there is still people out there modding their m18x. I really like this laptop, but it shows its age, it beautiful red shifting aluminum color, the sound quality, full keyboard with macros,and screen make it worth the upgrade.

Proud owner of a nebula red R2.

• Klem changed the title to [Bios Mod] M18xR2 - Legacy Support now Available