Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

16 minutes ago, kotas said:

Can someone tell me if this works as SLI ?

No. You need two same GPUs.

18 minutes ago, kotas said:

Or can the external have "higher priority" over the main GPU

You have to connect eGPU to you monitor/TV. This way games use eGPU. If you just add eGPU to system - games will run on dGPU and picture will be on laptop display.

I used fake HDMI adapter (so, system think it is real display) switch main display to fake and move game window on it. BUT, signal go on dGPU anyway (performance drop). I didn’t want to also buy new monitor.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kotas said:

Anyone still selling this adaptor ?

Main problem with adapter is it's connector which is EOL now (end of life). It's more and more difficult to make this adapters.

I still have original gerald adapter, but i can't sent it to US\EU regions simply because of PayPal\Postal restrictions and that i closed all my VISA\Mastercard cards after they left country (can't accept payments).

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2022 at 2:42 PM, intruder said:

I have one and i am looking to sell it. Please let me know if you are interested. 

Hello,

Is this offer still valid? Are you still selling the adaptor?

Thank you

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Drozof said:

So does anyone still have an adapter and is not using it/willing to sell it?

BTW would an RX580 get bottleneck'd by the 4700MQ? what about a 1660 super?

Hi. I had this setup when I had the adapter...

Yes, in spite of being a very decent processor, the 4700MQ will bottleneck the rx580. I think having a better GPU would not improved much the fps, being bottlenecked by the processor and adapter itself.

I played warzone (all minimum) and were around 70 fps, very decent for a very outdated setup

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, JABKILL said:

Hi. I had this setup when I had the adapter...

Yes, in spite of being a very decent processor, the 4700MQ will bottleneck the rx580. I think having a better GPU would not improved much the fps, being bottlenecked by the processor and adapter itself.

I played warzone (all minimum) and were around 70 fps, very decent for a very outdated setup

Yeah thing is, and I know benchmarks aren't everything, but the 4700MQ still scores higher even when compared to modern, albeit low-end, desktop CPUs 

So which GPU would you recommend instead? BTW have you tried cyberpunk? how did it go?

4 hours ago, Drozof said:

Yeah thing is, and I know benchmarks aren't everything, but the 4700MQ still scores higher even when compared to modern, albeit low-end, desktop CPUs 

So which GPU would you recommend instead? BTW have you tried cyberpunk? how did it go?

No. I haven't tried cyberpunk (I think that this setup will not ever be enough to run it).

I have tried warzone (70 fps low settings)… halo infinite (50 fps low) and diablo II (more than 60 fps).

My advice is to get a graphic card with a good aging (rx580 is good but is too old to run new games). I changed my entire setup but now I can run everything.

15 hours ago, JABKILL said:

No. I haven't tried cyberpunk (I think that this setup will not ever be enough to run it).

I have tried warzone (70 fps low settings)… halo infinite (50 fps low) and diablo II (more than 60 fps).

My advice is to get a graphic card with a good aging (rx580 is good but is too old to run new games). I changed my entire setup but now I can run everything.

So maybe a GF1630? or a RX6400 ?

I wonder how it would run with a 4910MQ, too bad that CPU its so overpriced given how old it is.

2 hours ago, Drozof said:

So maybe a GF1630? or a RX6400 ?

I wonder how it would run with a 4910MQ, too bad that CPU its so overpriced given how old it is.

Maybe.

The problem is that there is not much you can still do with this setup. Is you are Wondering to maybe purchase a new GPU in order to get an upgrade later, I think that is correct.

I finally gave up and purchased a desktop computer, but thanks to Lenovo's masterpiece y510p and Gerald's adapter, i was able to play 2020's games with such an old laptop

Hi there. I am quite interested in this particular adapter due to a build I am working on for a friend but am unsure where to go about finding it these days. Would the people here be perhaps willing to offer some guidance for how I could get my hands on one? Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...

Anyone of you dared to turn up the processor core ratios to max on the y510p with the i7-4700MQ or overclock the it in anyway after getting the adapter and an external GPU? I was wondering wouldn't it be able to be cool it enough now as it doesn't ever even come close to as hot as it was back when you were trying to play games with the orginal factory GPU(s).

PS. Anyone got ideaFan v2.0 and wanna share it? or know of a valid download link that works?

PS. PS. Sorry if you already talked about this.  

PS. PS. PS. I'm using Swung Huang's adapter with a Asus TUF-RTX2060 if anyone wonders, probably a slight overkill but it was on sale when I bought it.

Hi everyone,

Tl;dr: (very bottom) I'm thinking I have found a way to finally control fan speed from the OS, will be giving it a try tonight. (rest of post) I want to add Thunderbolt 3 to the ultrabay, if Swung Huang, or High Voltage, or Gerald, or any of the other major contributors are interested to help please contact me, otherwise if someone here has experience designing Thunderbolt 3 devices please PM me. Otherwise I will do it myself, slowly. :)

I'm back, and I'm reengaged with this project. It's been a long hiatus but I have renewed vigour. I still have about 15 of the ultrabay connectors and it looks like there's still one supplier out there with more, but sold in bulk.

So, to me the solutions so far have been relatively inelegant (no offence intended, they are outstanding achievements!) and I have a crazy idea. I'm starting to work towards a Thunderbolt implementation for the ultrabay. If anyone has experience working with the 6000 or 7000 series controllers, I found I can get them, and I also found the datasheets for them (under codenames Alpine Ridge (6000 series) and Titan Ridge (7000 series) ). If anyone here has Thunderbolt design experience I could use your help. My goal is to make a reference design which can be updated for other laptops with expansion ports exposing PCIe. I plan to utilize the 20V B+ voltage for USB-PD as well, since the ultrabay port was designed to feed a hungry GPU it can stand to hold a modern USB charge port, and maybe, just maybe, there's a slim possibility of charging the laptop through it too. Schematically it's possible as the battery is charged off of B+ but I don't know how the EC/PMIC will react when there is no current being sensed from the DC jack nor the Battery current sense resistors due to power backflowing from the ultrabay.

Some notes to support my ideas:
1. The expansion bay has an AC_DETECT pin, so the PD controller will know whether it can act as a source or sink
2. 3V, 5V, and 20V are all exposed to the port with high current delivery capabilities so it can sink quite a bit of power
3. Mouser is stocking 6000 and 7000 series Thunderbolt controllers
4. I plan to work with the following PD chip: TI TPS65983B
5. Important discovery to simplify SMBUS spoofing: No arduino is actually required to spoof the SMBUS temperature sensor as there are many SMBUS/I2C sensors that already exist with the correct address space, however I might consider adding a fan to my design and actually using the temperature sensing capability on the port without spoofing, to help regulate the PD circuit temperatures. Importantly, the schematic says that the address for the SLI temp sensor is "0x9C". This is a bit of a misnomer. SMBUS/I2C addresses are 7 bit, with the last bit denoting read or write. This means that any temperature sensor that can be addressed to the right-shifted address "0x4E" or "0b1001110x" will work, basically, and there are a lot out there. The simplest part I could find to allow you to spoof a fixed temperature would be the MIC281-6YM6-TR, however I cannot find it available for low purchase quantities. However, there are tons of other parts which can be custom-addressed to 0x4E, just most of them with built-in temperature sensors and not remote sensing capability (I like remote sensing because it is defeatable, devices with local sensing will give a real temperature value to the EC which may not be desirable, but would likely be fine for the passive pass-through adapter most of you have). An example device would be: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tmp1075.pdf

6. TB3 can pass up to 4 lanes of PCIe per port (and also 20 Gbps USB!). I plan to add 2 TB3 controllers, only one will support USB fast charging but both will get 4 lanes of PCIe. The bottleneck on even a 1080Ti on PCIex4 3rd gen is negligible to me, and this is an acceptable compromise in my opinion to keep this laptop chooching well into the 2030s. Well, unless we all need a TPM2.0 by then. But I digress.

I hope someone reaches out to help with the implementation! Currently, my ultrabay connectors are not for sale so please don't message me asking for them. Once this project concludes I'll either be selling them attached to cards, or I'll be selling them to give up once and for all, haha!

Oh, by the way, I don't think there's much point in exposing the built-in sata port. I was toying with the idea of putting an eSATApd port on the adapter but there are a bunch of reasons why I think it's not really worth it:
1. It's impossible to source eSATApd USB3.0 connectors
2. It's nearly impossible to source normal eSATAp connectors (with or without 12V support)
3. The SATA port in question isn't even a good one - it's SATA Gen 1
4. A Thunderbolt controller will exceed all performance metrics of a SATA Gen 1 port for data throughput as well as having better power delivery options.

My project will be open source when all is said and done, so if you want to add SATA support then you are welcome to add it yourself after the fact. I am someone who loves to utilize every single possible feature available to me, but once I noticed it was SATA Gen 1, it sealed the deal for me that it just wasn't worth the extra effort.

I don't know why I love this laptop so much but I still absolutely love my Y510p. I will be doing component-level repairs on it to fix my audio and charging issues as well. Thankfully, my battery is still at around 90% design capacity, though it doesn't really mean much for longevity when this thing is going full tilt, lol. If all of this goes well I'll probably try my hand at making a custom extended battery pack for the system later.

Finally, to address the long-hated inability to manually control fan speed on the Y510p, I discovered a utility today which I believe will solve our problems. I was looking for a way to override the SMBUS outputs of the built-in thermal sensors with a mean, non-compliant circuit, when I came across this relatively hard-to-find utility (at least it was totally new to me):
https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc
"Notebook Fan Control" interfaces with the ACPI on laptops and can write values to the EC to spoof temperatures or directly manipulate the registers holding fan speed. No need to try to electrically override the SMBUS (thank god!).

There is currently no config for the Y510p however I intend to make one tonight. I have full confidence that this should make manual fan control possible on our laptops once and for all. There have already been quite a few Lenovo laptops successfully configured for use with it, including a Yoga 2 which may share either the same or very similar EC chip that we have.

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 12:46 AM, Drozof said:

So does anyone still have an adapter and is not using it/willing to sell it?

BTW would an RX580 get bottleneck'd by the 4700MQ? what about a 1660 super?

Yes, I still have  Swung Huang's adapter(which supports an external graphics card + hard drive) . DM me if you or anyone else is interested to buy it.  I am currently using RX 580 and it works very well. I generally get 80-100 fps on Fortnite with medium settings. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2023 at 11:03 AM, DesPaIR said:

Yes, I still have  Swung Huang's adapter(which supports an external graphics card + hard drive) . DM me if you or anyone else is interested to buy it.  I am currently using RX 580 and it works very well. I generally get 80-100 fps on Fortnite with medium settings. 

Do you still have these adapters? It's not letting me DM you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 12:03 PM, DesPaIR said:

Please dm me if you or ANYONE has this adapter for sale.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 12:03 PM, DesPaIR said:

Do you still have it and are you willing to sell? If so can you DM me plz. Thanks a lot!!

If anyone still has this adapter and is willing to sell please DM me. :04:

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2016 at 4:37 PM, gerald said:

@Tesla: You are right. The adapter uses no supply from the laptop. Te whole power is taken from the external PSU. The crashes look like a power supply problem. Be careful with the power ratings of PSU. Sometimes PSUs can't support the rated power on all different voltages. The adapter needs only 3V3 and the GPU 12V.

Hey @gerald. I have your ultrabay adapter and have one very specific query related to it. 

I want to run an ethernet pcie card with ultrabay adapter. To my knowledge the card requires 3v from pcie slot and takes around 4-5w power.

Does your ultrabay adapter take any form of power (3v, 5v etc.) from pcie slot?

If i intend to run a 4-5W pcie lan card, will i need external power supply?

I am trying to get hands on a physical card only to test but seems not possible at the moment as they are non-returnable.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:43 AM, intruder said:

Hey @gerald. I have your ultrabay adapter and have one very specific query related to it. 

I want to run an ethernet pcie card with ultrabay adapter. To my knowledge the card requires 3v from pcie slot and takes around 4-5w power.

Does your ultrabay adapter take any form of power (3v, 5v etc.) from pcie slot?

If i intend to run a 4-5W pcie lan card, will i need external power supply?

I am trying to get hands on a physical card only to test but seems not possible at the moment as they are non-returnable.

Update on this. Looks like external power is still needed. The adapter doesn't seem to draw any power from laptop. Sad to say I have got no use of the adapter now.

So now I am looking to sell this adapter. It's a revision 2 of gerald's adapter. 

Message me if anyone's interested.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 11:08 PM, intruder said:

Update on this. Looks like external power is still needed. The adapter doesn't seem to draw any power from laptop. Sad to say I have got no use of the adapter now.

So now I am looking to sell this adapter. It's a revision 2 of gerald's adapter. 

Message me if anyone's interested.

Apparently I'm not able to DM you, but am interested!

[email protected]