Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Ok, so my Chinese friend purchased the adapter from Taobao, it's the same one as offered here.

I am however not able to use it for whatever reason. When try to turn on the laptop, everything shuts down about 5 seconds after boot. I used an old but working GeForce, something like 9000-series GeForce or something, a Radeon 1600 XT and a no-name PCI-E to Sata card. Same results. The power supply is also confirmed to be working.

What could it be caused by? The Ultrabay card is the one without capacitors, I wonder if they had to do something with it after all.

• 3 weeks later...

So is there any way to get the adapter to work with Y500?

I think there was a mention of a specific BIOS version required, and an image provided. Having the svl7 bios I am not sure if I flush anything else on top of it.

13 hours ago, Avatarass said:

So is there any way to get the adapter to work with Y500?

I think there was a mention of a specific BIOS version required, and an image provided. Having the svl7 bios I am not sure if I flush anything else on top of it.

You should just plug that into your laptop, install PSU and GPU to it, and it should just work.(The latest version has an hardware mod present on the adapter so the firmware patch is no longer needed.)

Edited by Swung Huang

On 1/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, Swung Huang said:

You should just plug that into your laptop, install PSU and GPU to it, and it should just work.(The latest version has an hardware mod present on the adapter so the firmware patch is no longer needed.)

That's not the case. Like I said, the laptop and the PSU both turn off about 5 seconds after powering on.

The 450W PSU is more than powerful to power the ancient video cards I used for testing, NVidia and ATI.

My only guess is the issue mentioned in early pages of this thread, where Y500 had some sort of difference with Y510p with regards to the SMBus, which caused it to reject any video card and shut off. Albeit the shut off happens in 40 seconds in that case, not 5. There was a bios fix provided for that, but I cannot verify whether it works since my BIOS isn't standard, so I need to find a way to first roll it back to the standard BIOS before flashing it with the svl7 BIOS with the hotfix.

Edited by Avatarass

12 hours ago, Avatarass said:

That's not the case. Like I said, the laptop and the PSU both turn off about 5 seconds after powering on.

The 450W PSU is more than powerful to power the ancient video cards I used for testing, NVidia and ATI.

My only guess is the issue mentioned in early pages of this thread, where Y500 had some sort of difference with Y510p with regards to the SMBus, which caused it to reject any video card and shut off. Albeit the shut off happens in 40 seconds in that case, not 5. There was a bios fix provided for that, but I cannot verify whether it works since my BIOS isn't standard, so I need to find a way to first roll it back to the standard BIOS before flashing it with the svl7 BIOS with the hotfix.

Yeah, I’ve encountered some cases where the mod fails to work. In which case you still need the bios patch to get that to work.(p.s. vanilla y400/500 will reject any GPU regardless of the vendor. Accepting AMD card by default only happens on y410p/510p

On 1/13/2022 at 8:30 AM, Swung Huang said:

Yeah, I’ve encountered some cases where the mod fails to work. In which case you still need the bios patch to get that to work.(p.s. vanilla y400/500 will reject any GPU regardless of the vendor. Accepting AMD card by default only happens on y410p/510p

Ok, so thankfully I was able to obtain my original BIOS dump and modded it with the utility provided in this thread. I flashed the BIOS and the card was more or less accepted. The laptop no longer turns off and I am able to install the drivers for the video card. After I install the drivers, and the Windows indicates that drivers for the video card so-and-so were successfully installed.

However: after I reboot the system, the windows fails to load. Windows 10 just goes to a black screen with the loading circle going non-stop. The mouse is active but it's just black screen. I wonder if there's another step I am missing.

EDIT: I tested it with NVidia 9500 GS, I wonder if I need to try AMD card (the X1600 XT I have is no good since Windows 10 doesn't support it).

Edited by Avatarass

On 1/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, rusTORK said:

I still have got my original adapter from Gerald. May sell it if someone need it. Sent me P.M.

Hi. I’m new to the forum. Can’t seem to find the dm option. I am interested in the adapter and I would like to know how to proceed. I have an Y510 but at this point, with it’s graphics, it’s kinda useless.

thank you.

• Bios Modder
22 hours ago, AlexE said:

Hi. I’m new to the forum. Can’t seem to find the dm option. I am interested in the adapter and I would like to know how to proceed. I have an Y510 but at this point, with it’s graphics, it’s kinda useless.

thank you.

Hi!

You can try to contact with Swung Huang at [email protected]

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for making this thread so informative and inspiring people to undertake customisation work confidently. I apologise if my query is slightly off-topic, but this thread is the closest I have gotten to. I've had a y510p since 2013 which I had been daily-driving as a student until recently. My unit came with an optical drive which I soon started using for extra storage by replacing it with a caddy to hold the original HDD. Recently, I chanced to get my hands on the ultrabay and now that it is my secondary computer, I wanted to brave a laptop-to-pc conversion. For this purpose, I wanted to get an extender cable which would allow me to connect the ultrabay card to its port on the motherboard and place it in my designed case elsewhere for better ventilation. I have already employed a slimline to sata cable to continue using the secondary storage. Getting this ultrabay connector cable would enable me to use both the gt755m's in sli. I do know that there isn't much raw computational merit in using two aging underpowered gpus in SLI, but then again I already have a secondary pc and wish to undertake this project simply to cure my DIYing itch. I thank you all in advance for your inputs.

On 12/23/2021 at 3:37 PM, Avatarass said:

Ok, so my Chinese friend purchased the adapter from Taobao, it's the same one as offered here.

Out of curiosity, how expensive was it through Taobao? Any idea what the sales number on the product was? I have a feeling that it was more than likely a resellert, I'm not having luck finding anything on there, nor with Alibaba/express.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, xan326 said:

Out of curiosity, how expensive was it through Taobao? Any idea what the sales number on the product was? I have a feeling that it was more than likely a resellert, I'm not having luck finding anything on there, nor with Alibaba/express.

Hey, sorry for the late response I didn't get a notification. I think it was about 150 CAD overall, buying it from Taobao via Superbuy.

The charge basically included the item, delivery from the Chinese seller to Superbuy center, Superbuy fees and delivery from Superbuy's warehouse to Canada. The border sharks also made me pay for customs, because it was listed as a "computer part" but it's just a PCB with nothing on it.

Edited by Avatarass

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Can someone tell me if this works as SLI ? Meaning if a game doesnt support SLI the external GPU then is obsolete?

Or can the external have "higher priority" over the main GPU, thus profiting from external GPU ?

I am worried if the game doesnt support SLI the external GPU wont do a thing.

Thank you