Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Hello everyone, I'm sorry for the sabbatical. What with COVID and my move, it's been a crazy time in my life.

The good news:

My eGPU open source project is not dead

Someone else has forked my project as of yesterday or today (what prompted me to make this post) so you may get it sooner than I can produce it from that person

I now have room to build up a proper electronics lab

The bad news:

I just investigated that forked project and it appears for the time being it is private. We will see if it comes public at a later time. I encourage someone else in the community to try their hand at a fork

I have some other intervening projects including actually setting up my new electronics lab that will take up a lot of time

I never managed to pursue the guy who I found that has reverse-engineered the Lenovo energy management app for different reasons. I got him on Discord but never actually chatted with him. I can't remember if I mentioned this but I did find a guy who disassembled the app and am hoping there will be a way to control the fan with no hardware mod in software.

I have a job that requires lots of travel abroad, which will slow me down further

My Y510p has been on loan for a little while (also has a weird power issue I need to diagnose, but that's not for this thread)

For the time being, feel free to keep an eye on my open source project as well as looking out for a fork, which may produce results before I can. My biggest problem is getting proper differential pair routing on the board using Altium's software. It's still new to me and for some reason auto-routing is failing in this regard. That's where I left off. After there is a working model for the pcb I will be exploring a nifty cabled design that I think will be popular. I will try to be more active on this forum which will inspire me to concentrate more fully on this project, lol

Edit: Forked project available here

Edited by astrosynthesist
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, astrosynthesist said:

Hello everyone, I'm sorry for the sabbatical. What with COVID and my move, it's been a crazy time in my life.

The good news:

My eGPU open source project is not dead

Someone else has forked my project as of yesterday or today (what prompted me to make this post) so you may get it sooner than I can produce it from that person

I now have room to build up a proper electronics lab

The bad news:

I just investigated that forked project and it appears for the time being it is private. We will see if it comes public at a later time. I encourage someone else in the community to try their hand at a fork

I have some other intervening projects including actually setting up my new electronics lab that will take up a lot of time

I never managed to pursue the guy who I found that has reverse-engineered the Lenovo energy management app for different reasons. I got him on Discord but never actually chatted with him. I can't remember if I mentioned this but I did find a guy who disassembled the app and am hoping there will be a way to control the fan with no hardware mod in software.

I have a job that requires lots of travel abroad, which will slow me down further

My Y510p has been on loan for a little while (also has a weird power issue I need to diagnose, but that's not for this thread)

For the time being, feel free to keep an eye on my open source project as well as looking out for a fork, which may produce results before I can. My biggest problem is getting proper differential pair routing on the board using Altium's software. It's still new to me and for some reason auto-routing is failing in this regard. That's where I left off. After there is a working model for the pcb I will be exploring a nifty cabled design that I think will be popular. I will try to be more active on this forum which will inspire me to concentrate more fully on this project, lol

Edit: Forked project available here

> I never managed to pursue the guy who I found that has reverse-engineered the Lenovo energy management app for different reasons.

Well, whats your question? 

> I did find a guy who disassembled the app and am hoping there will be a way to control the fan with no hardware mod in software.

If this is the question - no, you cannot control fan from the software. Its in EC firmware btw, so you will have to disassemble that, code in fan control support, and then you possibly could control it. While working with IdeaFan I disassembled everything there was, from app up to a kernel/driver level. What I did not - did not disassembled the EC firmware. Its way easier to install hardware fan control (like someone shows in forums) than going EC modification way. So IdeaFan is using 100% what's available currently through software.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:30 AM, Low Beholder said:

> I never managed to pursue the guy who I found that has reverse-engineered the Lenovo energy management app for different reasons.

Well, whats your question? 

> I did find a guy who disassembled the app and am hoping there will be a way to control the fan with no hardware mod in software.

If this is the question - no, you cannot control fan from the software. Its in EC firmware btw, so you will have to disassemble that, code in fan control support, and then you possibly could control it. While working with IdeaFan I disassembled everything there was, from app up to a kernel/driver level. What I did not - did not disassembled the EC firmware. Its way easier to install hardware fan control (like someone shows in forums) than going EC modification way. So IdeaFan is using 100% what's available currently through software.

Actually I don't think you were the guy I was referring to but even if you're someone else I appreciate that you have experience in this matter :). I specifically was hoping to tear down the dlls and find the call that the energy management app makes to the EC to make it do a dust cleaning. If that is the best we can do it is still preferable to me than using a screen scraper app to press the "dust cleaning" button. Any control granularity found that is better than that would be a bonus.

6 hours ago, YoFi said:

Hi, is the adapter still available?

i'd like to buy one

cuz now i've ordered adt link adapter x4, but want go for lua x8

please let me know if any info

Yeah. You can contact me at [email protected]

4 hours ago, astrosynthesist said:

Actually I don't think you were the guy I was referring to but even if you're someone else I appreciate that you have experience in this matter :). I specifically was hoping to tear down the dlls and find the call that the energy management app makes to the EC to make it do a dust cleaning. If that is the best we can do it is still preferable to me than using a screen scraper app to press the "dust cleaning" button. Any control granularity found that is better than that would be a bonus.

The fan control program you might be interested in.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlQ9tIhcRFrHm34uRQkJavL3vPC0?e=B3CBS5

Edited by Swung Huang

6 hours ago, astrosynthesist said:

This is exactly what IdeaFan does. Find it at forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ideafan-for-y510p-y500-g500-y580-y410p.796490/ or allstone.lt/ideafan/

• 3 weeks later...

Finally!

Guys from farnell.com sent me mine backordered connectors to chosen UK mail-forward address. Despite "same day dispatch", shipment was made in 2 weeks, as I've placed my order on September 29th and delivery was fulfilled on October 12th.
And I've already forwarded them to my place. (Still in transition.)

Expenses are 66.99 USD for connectors themselves plus delivery to UK address (free delivery over UK, VAT included, however) and 7.50 USD for mail-forward services.

74.49 USD for 7 connectors

or

10.65 USD per unit.

1 hour ago, Karasiel said:

Finally!

Guys from farnell.com sent me mine backordered connectors to chosen UK mail-forward address. Despite "same day dispatch", shipment was made in 2 weeks, as I've placed my order on September 29th and delivery was fulfilled on October 12th.
And I've already forwarded them to my place. (Still in transition.)

Expenses are 66.99 USD for connectors themselves plus delivery to UK address (free delivery over UK, VAT included, however) and 7.50 USD for mail-forward services.

74.49 USD for 7 connectors

or

10.65 USD per unit.

@Karasiel I was curious if you have plans for all 7 connectors or if you would be willing to sell me 2 or 3? I haven’t pulled the trigger at farnell due to the minimum order quantity. I don’t really need 7 connectors but would be open to help you recoup some of your expenses if you don’t plan on using all of the 7 connectors.

On 10/3/2020 at 1:36 AM, Low Beholder said:

This is exactly what IdeaFan does. Find it at forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ideafan-for-y510p-y500-g500-y580-y410p.796490/ or allstone.lt/ideafan/

I can't believe I have never heard of it. I'll have to give it a try, thanks!

@LeapingLamb I managed to get Newark to reduce their minimum order quantity to my requested 20 connectors by phoning. Honestly anyone on here if you try phoning Newark/Farnell (same company) they are likely to help you out. Also according to the representative I spoke to they aren't actually obsoleted for them; they could in theory order more if they ran out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hy guys,

I am looking for ultrabay to pci-e adapter and i cant find any seller or used adapter card on the internet. Is there any one here selling it? Or is it possible to get any link where i can buy it?

I am going to start on a project, turning my Y510p in to frankenstein desktop PC, because of broken keyboard connector on mobo, it is useless as laptop. I am thinking about changing stock heat pipe cooling with some coustom desktop cpu cooler and bind it with a GTX 1070ti and put  everything in a custom plexiglass enclosure. I think i should get pretty solid performance.

I know there are m.2 to PCI-e adapters, but i dont want to sacrifice wifi an BT.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, @matic!

You should contact @Swung Huang and ask him if he's got any left. His email is somewhere above in this thread. The only other way for you to get an adapter right now is either if someone here decides to sell theirs, or if someone succeeds making one (we've got a couple of people working on it right now!)

On a completely unrelated note, I've also had the keyboard connector break in my Y510p. In my case it was the black locking part that fell off and I could never fit it in place again. What I ended up doing was making a wedge just the right size to fit between the PCB and the keyboard, applying necessary pressure to the cable. I've cut it out of a piece of proto-pcb (just the right thickness!) and wrapped it in couple layers of duct tape. Then I first insert the flex cable as normal, and fit this wedge on top of it into the connector, then just install the keyboard. Never had any problems with this setup so far.

Edited by High_Voltage
  • Thumbs Up 1

So it appears that my fear came true and SOMEBODY bought out the remaining stock on Newark (or some other distributor using the same supplier) underneath my order while I was waiting to get the funds to make the purchase. I don't know who has the funds to buy 294/500 connectors but I hope to god they don't show up on ebay at insane prices for each. Boo. I'm treading water at this point. Sorry everyone. I can only do little things with the board design but no practical testing for me until I can find a new source for the connector.

As of writing this, the Newark site is showing 294 in stock but they are reserved for a sale pending a stock update according to the phone representative.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 8:47 PM, matic said:

Hy guys,

I am looking for ultrabay to pci-e adapter and i cant find any seller or used adapter card on the internet. Is there any one here selling it? Or is it possible to get any link where i can buy it?

I am going to start on a project, turning my Y510p in to frankenstein desktop PC, because of broken keyboard connector on mobo, it is useless as laptop. I am thinking about changing stock heat pipe cooling with some coustom desktop cpu cooler and bind it with a GTX 1070ti and put  everything in a custom plexiglass enclosure. I think i should get pretty solid performance.

I know there are m.2 to PCI-e adapters, but i dont want to sacrifice wifi an BT.

Thanks for any advice.

Is that You at elvikom.pl forums?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spent some more time working through the forum.  Up to page 42.

Anyone currently using this in a y400?  What steps did you take to get it working?

With a i7-3630QM, what graphics cards would you recommend for gaming without bottlenecking the GPU?

I haven't shopped for a graphics card forever.  I know the market is crazy right now, so I don't really want to spend money on anything that will be bottlenecked by the CPU.

I'm torn between how fun this project could be and just picking up the Ultrabay GT650M for $100 to run with SLI until it dies.