Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

13 minutes ago, manolis said:

@Swung Huangalso will the adapter support both card vendors, nvidia and amd to play on laptop screen or will  i need external monitor? and finally modified bios will be needed?

For y400/500, external monitor is required.

for y410p/510p, if you use nvidia cards you can have your games rendered in the internal screen. For AMD cards I’d say that you’d better attach a external display.

A modified BIOS is required.

1 minute ago, Swung Huang said:

for y410p/510p, if you use nvidia cards you can have your games rendered in the internal screen. For AMD cards I’d say that you’d better attach a external display.

A modified BIOS is required.

ok so a modified bios is required for nvidia and amd?

On 6/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, Swung Huang said:

Hi everyone! Here’s a good news.

I adopted a 3D printer and made some new cases.

Here’s some pics.

8BB965E7-4607-46A7-BF17-412911321F7A.jpeg

Can we buy this version??

@Swung Huang Good job! I am happy to see you are going to manufacture adapters for everyone. I will not be able to do that, my adapter works but my motherboard died (not caused by adapter, just one of the mosfets for bios shorted). So even if I can manufacture them I have no way to test it so I decided to buy new PC and leave it all behind. I think I will post all of my desings if anyone is interested. 

28 minutes ago, Zakyn said:

@Swung Huang Good job! I am happy to see you are going to manufacture adapters for everyone. I will not be able to do that, my adapter works but my motherboard died (not caused by adapter, just one of the mosfets for bios shorted). So even if I can manufacture them I have no way to test it so I decided to buy new PC and leave it all behind. I think I will post all of my desings if anyone is interested. 

I would be interested in the design !

17 hours ago, Swung Huang said:

I using @gerald adapter and don't using external monitor. Picture on internal display. Just insert HDMI monitor emulator in eGPU HDMI port and system will see "virtual" display. Then i can move any window on that monitor.

Edited by rusTORK

33 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

I using @gerald adapter and don't using external monitor. Picture on internal display. Just insert HDMI monitor emulator in eGPU HDMI port and system will see "virtual" display. Then i can move any window on that monitor.

But how to let the internal display driven by the eGPU? As far as I know, in this case, the internal screen is still driven by internal GPU.

3 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

As far as I know, in this case, the internal screen is still driven by internal GPU.

Yes, dGPU must be active. Signal go like this: eGPU => dGPU => Internal Display.

I tested when dGPU was disabled, but got lower results in benchmarks.

5 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

But how to let the internal display driven by the eGPU?

On Y500 it's impossible. But current situation allow to see picture and don't spent money on external monitor.

11 minutes ago, rusTORK said:

Yes, dGPU must be active. Signal go like this: eGPU => dGPU => Internal Display.

I tested when dGPU was disabled, but got lower results in benchmarks.

On Y500 it's impossible. But current situation allow to see picture and don't spent money on external monitor.

So you mean you just move a windowed game from the dummy display to the internal one? But that’s not a universal solution to every game?

11 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

So you mean you just move a windowed game from the dummy display to the internal one?

Yes, but sometime game start on internal (without switching primary display via settings) and working with eGPU. Maybe windows was optimized - i don't know. I got this situation with Rage 2. I installed special software and added fast keys to switch active window between monitors (Ctrl + left arrow and Ctrl + right arrow). It's working for most applications.

11 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

But that’s not a universal solution to every game?

Sure it's not. It's depends how application was optimized for multimonitor configuration. Also, some applications don't work in Full screen mode, only in windowed + borderless.

Edited by rusTORK

9 hours ago, Zakyn said:

Good job! I am happy to see you are going to manufacture adapters for everyone. I will not be able to do that, my adapter works but my motherboard died (not caused by adapter, just one of the mosfets for bios shorted). So even if I can manufacture them I have no way to test it so I decided to buy new PC and leave it all behind. I think I will post all of my desings if anyone is interested. 

It would be nice if you share them.  Thanks

12 hours ago, Zakyn said:

I would be grateful for your pcb layout, can you please send me a link via pm?

Edited by gpu7990

On 6/21/2019 at 11:04 PM, jxfong2 said:

@Swung Huang, I am a linux user, mainly using ubuntu based system, can you help me to test under ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with nvidia driver 410 and CUDA 10 installed, can the eGPU still works?

This does not entirely answer your question, yet on my Ubuntu system (Kubuntu 19.04, Vega 56 graphics card, external monitor, Mesa video drivers) Gerald's card (the revised version which allows AMD GPUs to be used without replacing the BIOS) works perfectly. I had less luck with Manjaro, which caused the system to slow down if only the external monitor was used.

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, Swung Huang said:

AMD cards can run on y410p/510p with stock BIOS 

Let me get this straight: you can use AMD cards with stock BIOS but you need an external monitor? and you can use the internal monitor with an nVidia eGPU but then you have to mod the BIOS?

BTW got prices for the 3D printed version? I rather have space for a 3.5 drive since those are faster, bigger and since I need a PSU for the graphics card I can power a 3.5 HDD too.

Could be a slot on the other side of the GPU instead of under it.

54 minutes ago, Drozof said:

Let me get this straight: you can use AMD cards with stock BIOS but you need an external monitor? and you can use the internal monitor with an nVidia eGPU but then you have to mod the BIOS?

BTW got prices for the 3D printed version? I rather have space for a 3.5 drive since those are faster, bigger and since I need a PSU for the graphics card I can power a 3.5 HDD too.

|  Custom BIOS Needed?   |.           Internal monitor support.     |      

Y400/500      | AMD    |                  Y                         |.                    N.                                    |

|Nvidia. |                  Y                         |.                    N.                                    |

Y410p/510p  |AMD   |                 N                         | Should work, not tested(XConnect)|

| Nvidia|                 Y                          |.                     Y,(Optimus).                  |

54 minutes ago, Drozof said:

3D printed version is 40$

2 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Custom color? =).

Just tell me the color you need in email. I have 4 white ones and 1 teal one. If you want them,I will ship them sooner.

Every color other than white will cost $5 more.

Edited by Swung Huang

22 minutes ago, Swung Huang said:

Just tell me the color you need in email. I have 4 white ones and 1 teal one. If you want them,I will ship them sooner.

Every color other than white will cost $5 more.

I don't want to order, since i have plans to sell my Y500 (but maybe i will get Y510p just for testing). I just thought it will be nice to offer people wide options in color.

My personal opinion that black will fit best laptop color. But who knows, maybe someone want it to fit GPU color. :)

Anyone got information about Power brick compatibility between Y500 (i got 170W model) and Y510p (130W model)?

I want to buy Y510p, but it’s have got 130W model.

P.S. I know that SLI versions of laptop have got better power brick, but is it really matter with Ultrabay adapter and ePSU and eGPU?

Edited by rusTORK