Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

On 10/22/2018 at 1:41 PM, Zakyn said:

Hi, I had the same idea, but Gerald wanted to keep his plans (which I totally understand), so I found Lenovo schema and tried to design adapter by myself. I have already soldered PCB, it was not that hard it just take some time. It is not working yet, but I believe I just overlooked or misunderstood some Lenovo tags from schema. When I will make it work I will definitely release whole project for everyone.

@ZakynHello, so did you finished the project? because i have ordered ub and will try to make it myself

Hi Guys,

i have y510p i5 4200M, Dual GT750M , version

I recently ordered GDC V 8 Beast mpcie , but i know the GT/s is not good. 

Just want to know whether cpu bottlenecks with 1060 or due to low GT/s of mpcie it doesn't affect ?

Any update on new production or updated version of ultrabay adapter? 

I've seen some guys making their own, may i know where to get the parts ?

Thanks in advance

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:58 PM, manolis said:

@ZakynHello, so did you finished the project? because i have ordered ub and will try to make it myself

Hi, I didnt have much time recently. I want to work on that during Xmas. I already updated my schematics and now I need to redraw a board. When I finish I plan to do some tutorial for everyone (if I will be successful :) ).

On 11/29/2018 at 8:53 AM, blackranger said:

Hi Guys,

i have y510p i5 4200M, Dual GT750M , version

I recently ordered GDC V 8 Beast mpcie , but i know the GT/s is not good. 

Just want to know whether cpu bottlenecks with 1060 or due to low GT/s of mpcie it doesn't affect ?

Any update on new production or updated version of ultrabay adapter? 

I've seen some guys making their own, may i know where to get the parts ?

Thanks in advance

I got my ultrabay conenctor from: https://www.verical.com/pd/te-connectivity-power-connector-2199015-1-4586152

• Thumbs Up 1

@Zakyn If you have plans to fabricate a few more to sell, i think we can nego on the price later. 

Good luck on your project too.

Edit: Or maybe you can share a full tutorial on how to fabricate the adaptor ourselves, given that we get the ultrabay connector from the link above.

Edited by jxfong2

21 hours ago, MADNESSS said:

@Zakyn On the website you mentioned above, it says that minimum order is 7 pcs. Did you order 7 pcs, or there was possibility to order just one?

Wish you good luck in your project.

Yes, I have 7pcs. But I wanted more than one so its not problem. I already have one soldered in my first not working version :) So I hope 7 will be enough :D. 
This site was first where I was able to get less than hundred pcs.  

Edited by Zakyn
  • Thumbs Up 5

@Zakyn Which transistor did you used and it did not worked? maybe it was not the proper because the model BC847C have several, some are 90mV and some other 600mV, also they differ on Hz here

Also if i understood the board is functioning on 25V so the resistors should be the appropreate and with how much tolerance? 

I am looking the geralt's schematics v.2

On 10/22/2018 at 9:05 PM, High_Voltage said:

Hi, @Zakyn, I had a look at your schematic. Not really going to check your routing to the PCI-E pinout, let's hope it is correct. Also, I hope that you are aware that the high-speed PCI-E lanes have to be routed in differential pairs with length matching (KiCad has a special feature for that) (also make sure to match the length among all the pairs).

Now, speaking of the necessary pull-up resistors on the Lenovo side, as it has already been shown by @gerald while I was writing this response, here's the situation with the additional resistors and circuits:

• 1k pull-up to +3V at pin 70 of the Ultrabay (pin SUSP# in Lenovo motherboard schematic), this is R4 in Gerald's schematic. (note that Gerald's schematic uses different pin numeration for some reason)
  • R1, R5 and R6 are not installed on Gerald's adapter board, so you can just ignore them. These pins although labelled sensibly, don't appear to make any difference to ultrabay functionality
  • R2 used to be installed in V2 of the adapter, but in order for it to work properly, this pin must be open. Do not install!
  • 1k pull-down to ground from Ultrabay pin 94 (SLAVE_PRESENT#), this is R3 in Gerald's schematic
  • Wire Ultrabay pin 98 (PLT_RST#) to PCI-E Reset pin, additionally pulling the signal up to +3V3 (that comes from your power supply)

To summarise, out of all of the resistors, you only need two (R4 and R3), plus the Reset circuit.

Also, you don't have to route SMB bus to the PCI-E slot as it is redundant. Better make solder pads for it so it can be used with my hardware mod.

I just did last check before making PCB and I see reset circuit (98 PLT_RST#) on gerald's schema is actually connected to S_DGPU_RST (pin 92). I am little bit confused which is the righ pin. Can you give me a hint please?

@Zakyn I'm not sure. Guessing that @gerald has experimentally determined that out of the two possible reset pins this one is the right one.

Actually, I'm also currently designing an Ultrabay adapter. In my design I decided to go for @gerald's choice of Reset pin, but pull it up to the standby +3V (pin 64 on Lenovo schematic). There is already a pull-up on the motherboard for this pin, I've added this one just in case. Probably going to try with this pull-up unpopulated first...

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks and good luck to all ultrabay-pcie adaptor makers. Meanwhile waiting for new batch of adaptors or tutorial of how to do so, I just ordered a SilverStone 500W SFX-L PSU and a Cougar QBX m-itx case to be my eGPU enclosure as I dont have the skills to make myself one. Ryzen 3000 chips are coming next month along with AMD new Navi GPUs, guess it is a good time to buy an AMD GPU with same performance as RTX cards at half of the prices as our egpu, if the leaks are real.

13 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

@Zakyn I'm not sure. Guessing that @gerald has experimentally determined that out of the two possible reset pins this one is the right one.

Actually, I'm also currently designing an Ultrabay adapter. In my design I decided to go for @gerald's choice of Reset pin, but pull it up to the standby +3V (pin 64 on Lenovo schematic). There is already a pull-up on the motherboard for this pin, I've added this one just in case. Probably going to try with this pull-up unpopulated first...

Ok, I will make some pads for 0R resistors to choose between pins. thanks for response

I'd also like to thank the heroes out there developing Ultrabay adapters for all of us still rocking these Lenovo laptops in 2018. Whenever these reach a sale-ready state, you can definitely count me in. I'm trying to freshen up my old Y510P to give to a buddy as a budget VR-capable gaming rig after he gets through basic training and tech school. I already have it running better than ever with a thermal paste reapplication, an SSD replacing the original cache drive, and a Firecuda replacing the original hdd, but the 755m's are seriously holding this back. Good luck to you guys in your endeavors!!

Since the adapter is delaying ,i am planning to go with mini pcie & gtx1060 6gb

i would like to know how the performance will affect when played in internal monitor with mpcie ?

also have anybody tried to Make y510p own LCD display as a External display by using additional 12v LCD Controller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-VGA-DVI-Audio-LCD-controller-board-for-15-6-B156HW01-1920-1080-lcd-panel/636142425.html

Planned upgrade - 6 gb ram to 12 gb

need some suggestions on the below 
How ssd helps in gaming performance, is it worth getting?
Does upgrading from i5 4200m to i7 4900MQ for 160$ is worth?

Current Specs:
i5 4200M 2.5ghz
gt750m x2 sli
1tb sshd
6gb ram

Thanks in advance

Edited by blackranger

* I am not sure how easy it is to drive the internal monitor using an egpu solution like the one you describe. You can do so using Geralt's adapter in Linux, and there is speculation about using High_Voltage's modded BIOS to more generally enable support for the internal monitor in this thread:

I have not tried this modded BIOS myself, though, and haven't used Windows in a while.

* Using an SSD will likely improve loading times, yet it should not improve your FPS in any way.

* The i7 CPU holds up well in my machine, but I have no experience using an i5.

* If you have the budget, get two RAM modules of the exact same size and type as this may help with performance.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Bos Maior said:

* I am not sure how easy it is to drive the internal monitor using an egpu solution like the one you describe. You can do so using Geralt's adapter in Linux, and there is speculation about using High_Voltage's modded BIOS to more generally enable support for the internal monitor in this thread:

I have not tried this modded BIOS myself, though, and haven't used Windows in a while.

* Using an SSD will likely improve loading times, yet it should not improve your FPS in any way.

* The i7 CPU holds up well in my machine, but I have no experience using an i5.

* If you have the budget, get two RAM modules of the exact same size and type as this may help with performance.

Thank you for your reply.

*Monitor solution i have described is converting internal monitor as external monitor using lcd controller (by this way hdmi can be connected directly from eGPU to monitor) below link for your ref.

https://hackernoon.com/https-medium-com-akshaykore-diy-monitor-410ac3bbb6b9

*Sure i will consider your point regarding ram and first i will try with i5 then. 

i will do this next week and post the results.

Hello Guys,

i'm a newbi but i'm glad, that i found a topic, where the Y510P can live up to new competitors.

I 've been working on my Y510P the last few years, but still making progression and experiences.

I'm running my Y510P with a Beast Adapter over MPCI-Express and a GTX1080.

It aktually does work BUT it has a huge Performance-loss via the internal Display (i'm able to play Witcher 3 with 40fps on ultra,

even though the card could perform better in a normal PC-Rig).

I've also upgraded my Y510P from an i5 4200m to an i7 4900MQ and i really noticed the better and more stable performance (in Witcher 3 for example).

I know, that it is worth to upgrade your Laptop.

Current Specs:
Y510P
i7 4700MQ 2.4ghz
gt755m x2 sli
Egpu 1080 OC  Windforce
2x 500GB SSD (Samsung  and 512GB ZTC Rüstung 42mm m2 NGFF)
16gb ram (Crucial CT2K102464BF186D, DDR3L, 1866 MT/s)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Loisl said:

Hello Guys,

i'm a newbi but i'm glad, that i found a topic, where the Y510P can live up to new competitors.

I 've been working on my Y510P the last few years, but still making progression and experiences.

I'm running my Y510P with a Beast Adapter over MPCI-Express and a GTX1080.

It aktually does work BUT it has a huge Performance-loss via the internal Display (i'm able to play Witcher 3 with 40fps on ultra,

even though the card could perform better in a normal PC-Rig).

I've also upgraded my Y510P from an i5 4200m to an i7 4900MQ and i really noticed the better and more stable performance (in Witcher 3 for example).

I know, that it is worth to upgrade your Laptop.

Current Specs:
Y510P
i7 4700MQ 2.4ghz
gt755m x2 sli
Egpu 1080 OC  Windforce
2x 500GB SSD (Samsung  and 512GB ZTC Rüstung 42mm m2 NGFF)
16gb ram (Crucial CT2K102464BF186D, DDR3L, 1866 MT/s)

Thank you for your post. This is what i was looking for :)

In the meantime, i contacted one PCB manufacturer he said he needs a Gerber files to make PCB for Ultrabay Adapter and as a minimum 5 pcs, If anyone has gerber files for Ultrabay v2  of geralds' adapter please PM.

once i make pcb , i can buy connectors from this https://www.verical.com/pd/te-connectivity-power-connector-2199015-1-4586152

11 hours ago, Loisl said:

(i'm able to play Witcher 3 with 40fps on ultra,even though the card could perform better in a normal PC-Rig).

You ar using maybe 40% of the power the gpu has...  sadly the Mpcie adapter is crap in comparison with the one from gerald.

Im using vega 64lc that is pretty much equal to your gtx1080, i went ahead and reinstalled witcher just to give you some numbers you could expect:

Wither 3 Max setting(hairworks off)

1920x1080 -  avarage 115fps

2560x1440 - avarage 85fps

3840x2160(4k) -  avarage 48fps

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Celestus said:

You ar using maybe 40% of the power the gpu has...  sadly the Mpcie adapter is crap in comparison with the one from gerald.

Im using vega 64lc that is pretty much equal to your gtx1080, i went ahead and reinstalled witcher just to give you some numbers you could expect:

Wither 3 Max setting(hairworks off)

1920x1080 -  avarage 115fps

2560x1440 - avarage 85fps

3840x2160(4k) -  avarage 48fps

I appreciate your post.

At present no option to get PCI 3.0 x8  Ultrabay Graphics Adapter, we are out options and only to go for mPCie version. :)

The only option now is wait for those who are working on their own trial adaptor to successfully fabricate one, then mass pro for sale. Too many uncertainty, hopefully someone succeed in manufacturing, cant wait to buy one to upgrade my 5 year old laptop.

• Thumbs Up 1

My version of adapter (PCB only) is at manufacturer. I think at one week I will have it and then I will solder all parts. After that I will try to run some GPU on it :)

Also my mPCIe adpater just arrive, I will do some benchmarks for comparison.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Zakyn said:

My version of adapter (PCB only) is at manufacturer. I think at one week I will have it and then I will solder all parts. After that I will try to run some GPU on it :)

Also my mPCIe adpater just arrive, I will do some benchmarks for comparison.

Kudos :)

Will be waiting for your benchmarks

@Celestus

Well, those FPS look more attractive to my eyes.

Is there any chance to build an adapter for the ultrabay with an HDMI - Female port, so we can connect the GDC Beast V8.0 and use the PCI-Slot and the bandwith of the ultrabay?

Will this work? ImO this would be the best solution, because you can use nvidea-Cards and play via the internal display with a better transfer-Rate than the MPCI-E.

In the appendix you will see my system and the EGPU in an extra case. It still is portable and compact.

It runs with a DELL-powerunit (220Watt, on the right). Just for thought.

20190104_163538.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2