Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

19 hours ago, rusTORK said:

It's probably PSU secure mode. Since you useing it for GPU only - it's detecting high power on +12V rail and shut down.

On desktop you probably connectiong all components (like fans, cpu, gpu, memory, hdd, ssd, e.t.c.) and PSU working normally since all rails are loaded (+3.3V and +5V).

Search you PSU in Google (Corsair VS450 shut down). There a lot same situations.

THANK YOU!

I was not aware of this kind of protection. I researched about it and looks like it's due to "Under Voltage Protection". 

So i begin testing while the PSU was still attached to my friends desktop (all connectors connected to hdd, cd drive, fans etc.). Only the 20 pin atx & 8 pin pcie was attached to my ultrabay & graphics card resp. When i ran the benchmark everything ran great. There was no shutdown of the PSU. 

Then i disconnected the peripherals one by one and discovered that i needed only 1 hdd connected to the sata power cable to keep the system running. I didn't even connect the data cable. 

Tl;dr, i only need to connect a hdd to sata power cable from PSU to prevent it from shutting down! 

So my final setup is like this:

From psu:

20 pin atx connector to ultrabay

8 pin power connector to graphics card

15 pin sata connector to HDD

From laptop:

Sata data cable (from slimsata port) to HDD

BTW I've also made an ultrabay caddy with a slimsata adapter so that i can use both ultrabay as well as the slimsata port at the same time. I'll post some pictures as soon as i get time. Cheers!

Hi, is the Adaptor still up for sale, link please if possible.

And, With Windows 10, do i need to make changes in BIOS?

I want to run nVidia GTX 1080

Can i use a cable to extend and put eGPU and Adaptor somewhere else too?

Thanks

Edited by Pushendu

33 minutes ago, Pushendu said:

And, With Windows 10, do i need to make changes in BIOS?

First, tell us which model of Lenovo laptop you have got.

34 minutes ago, Pushendu said:

Can i use a cable to extend and put eGPU and Adaptor somewhere else too?

It is possible, but due to design of adapter it's sticks out for about 7 cm anyway (at least it's so on Y500 model).

2 hours ago, Pushendu said:

Hi,
y510p, since the main Subject of discussion is having it done for y510p i didn't mentioned it.

A lot changed since that time. ANYWAY, you need to contact with gerald (his e-mail was in this thread somewhere) and ask about adapter. Sometime he have got some for sale, but sometime he running out of them and you have to wait for new batch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Received my adapter Friday. I haven't had much of a chance to set things up until yesterday night and still am working on it. The issue I'm having right now is that I can get windows to recognize the card (1070 ti) and have corrected for the error 43 most Nvidia 10 series cards get but I cannot get this to display on my internal screen. Regardless if I disable all other cards it seems to still use the integrated graphics over the external one.

The power supply is brand new EVGA 650 BQ that I really would have doubts on it being the issue. I have tried both 1070 and 1070 Ti MSI Cards with identical results which leads me to believe it isn't my card. When I connect an external display to the GPU it does seem to run that but I cannot get it working with the internal display. My GPU Z results even show the card and its supplying data from the sensors to GPU Z as well. Any ideas on what my issue could be?

1 hour ago, Jeklund said:

Regardless if I disable all other cards it seems to still use the integrated graphics over the external one.

Is this on a y500 or y510p? On a y510p you should keep Intel graphics enabled for the Optimus to work. On y500 internal screen acceleration isn't really possible at all... 

23 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

Is this on a y500 or y510p? On a y510p you should keep Intel graphics enabled for the Optimus to work. On y500 internal screen acceleration isn't really possible at all... 

Y510p, I will try with that on and report back.

28 minutes ago, High_Voltage said:

Just enabled the Intel graphics, Still not able to get things to run off the egpu. I do believe this to be a step in the right direction as prior to enabling it I was unable to open Nvidia control panel. Now I have access to the control panel and settings inside for the 1070 that's plugged in.

2 hours ago, High_Voltage said:

Does it offer any optimus-related options? Also, when right-clicking any game shortcut, do you now get an option whether to run it with intel or high performance nvidia gpu? Also, do you have intel drivers installed? 

It does not however right before you mentioned it I realized in my cleaning of drivers and reinstallations I did not reinstall the intel driver. After doing that it works fine now. Thank you

• Thumbs Up 1

I created topic on eGPU forum in Build Guides part of it. There is some benchmarks and tests, but more interesting is - Y500 with adapter now at 5th place.

Here is table

Maybe someone with Y510p create there topic too? Just for history.

P.S. Yeah, and links gone again... let's try old way.

Forum topic: https://e g p u . i o/forums/builds/2012-15-6-lenovo-y500-evga-gtx-1080-ti-sc2ultrabay-adapter-win10/

Table: https://e g p u . i o/build-guides/#perf

Edited by rusTORK
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/2/2018 at 5:07 PM, rusTORK said:

I created topic on eGPU forum in Build Guides part of it. There is some benchmarks and tests, but more interesting is - Y500 with adapter now at 5th place.

Here is table

Maybe someone with Y510p create there topic too? Just for history.

P.S. Yeah, and links gone again... let's try old way.

Forum topic: https://e g p u . i o/forums/builds/2012-15-6-lenovo-y500-evga-gtx-1080-ti-sc2ultrabay-adapter-win10/

Table: https://e g p u . i o/build-guides/#perf

Great! I can create the guide for y510p. I might copy your guide and modify it just because I'm a bit lazy lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, intruder said:

I might copy your guide and modify it just because I'm a bit lazy lol.

No problems mate. It's not sprint, i spend about two weeks to slowly collect information (install software, run benchmarks, take screenshots) and later post it. Cool thing that there is private mode for topic and you may start it, edit, add text and pics and later release to public. When moderators will check it - it will be approved and people will see it.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, rusTORK said:

No problems mate. It's not sprint, i spend about two weeks to slowly collect information (install software, run benchmarks, take screenshots) and later post it. Cool thing that there is private mode for topic and you may start it, edit, add text and pics and later release to public. When moderators will check it - it will be approved and people will see it.

Done. I've created a guide.

https://e g p u .i o /forums/builds/2013-15-6-lenovo-y510p-gt755m-sli-gtx107064gbps-uba-ultrabay-adapter-win10-intruder/

• Thumbs Up 1

I've also uploaded some pics of my adapter mod there. I'll post those pics here too. Doesn't look pretty but it works great! That part is going to be inside the laptop anyway.

YPq8kAz.jpg

Created an aluminium enclosure for the pcb and added a slimline sata extension cable to utilize the slimline sata port. It's very sturdy now. I don't have to aim for the ultrabcay connector anymore. Just slide it in and both ultrabay and slimline sata port fits perfectly.

oJ17Eo5.jpg

You can see the sata cable coming out from the back. That's connected to the slimline sata extender cable. I can plug it in & out on demand. Don't have pics of the other side right now.

This is the final setup.

p27T13f.jpg

Still working on the enclosure that's why you can see some white masking tape. After i'm done i'll paint it all black like the rest of the enclosure. Hard to paint the aluminium sheet without a primer.

Also created a backplate for the graphics card. 

Co2lENO.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Gerald I tried to email you last month but email does not seem to be allowed to be delivered to you from my email address. Could you please put an adapter up for sale somewhere so I can buy it.

Will you be making more?

I will buy 2

Edited by Jump
Need 2 as I have 2 of these y510p and now the bios issue for geforce is fixed I really need these.

Look's like there are still enought left in the world... at least for now.

https://octopart.com/detail/all_breaks?sid=9f7f54b17b7a40b8

Some even offer it in small qty (less then 10 items).

Also, it's work a try even to chat with seller and tell them that it's better to sell 10 EOL products then keep it in warehouse and waste space. Manager may actually agree.

Update: 

Also founded 3D Model.

ENG_CVM_CVM_2199015-1_A.3d_igs.zip

Edited by rusTORK

What do I need to do to be able to view the screenshots in the above posts?

I get a message that says the file cannot be viewed by my account.

I also can't download from the downloads section either.

Edited by Jump