Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

6 minutes ago, Celestus said:

Did you try turning off/uninstaling integrated gpu ? That would leave vega as the main gpu/display device..... maybe ?(guesswork really) ^^

Yes, I did. I am under the impression that the Vega card is driving both of the monitors. If the external monitor is connected using an HDMI cable everything's fine and dandy, but as soon as I use a Displayport connection both of the screens are activated all of the time (even if I disable the internal one in device manager) and the external monitor refuses to go above the 1080p resolution of the internal one.

Hey guys -

I've figured out how to enable full Displayport support on my external monitor: I always assumed that I'd only have to disable the NVIDIA card, yet as I've now discovered the Intel graphics card needs to be disabled as well.

I now have a fully-fledged Displayport connection, with freesync. :-)

Edited by Bos Maior

On 8/16/2017 at 10:27 AM, Bivoca said:

Guys i have problem with my CPU(thermal throttling).When i start game for example WoW or Fifa 18 the turbo works for first 30 seconds after that automatically stop because of overheating 90C+ and run at 2.4ghz around 75-80C. Just for the record i re-paste with Liquid Metal (thermal grizzly conductonaut). Any suggestion how to fix it,or its just my CPU f..ked up and i have to change the whole laptop.

note:

Fifa 18 ultra settings 

GPU stay on 71C only undervolted

CPU 85C on 2.4 undervolted aswell

:/

12 hours ago, JeLoStIvIq said:

Guys i have problem with my CPU(thermal throttling).When i start game for example WoW or Fifa 18 the turbo works for first 30 seconds after that automatically stop because of overheating 90C+ and run at 2.4ghz around 75-80C. Just for the record i re-paste with Liquid Metal (thermal grizzly conductonaut). Any suggestion how to fix it,or its just my CPU f..ked up and i have to change the whole laptop.

note:

Fifa 18 ultra settings 

GPU stay on 71C only undervolted

CPU 85C on 2.4 undervolted aswell

:/

This is not really related to the topic of this thread, of course, but is the turbo supposed to run that long? In any case, I think you can disable the turbo it by changing the maximum processor state or maximum processor frequency in the 'advanced power settings' menu.

EDIT - here are a few screenshots taken in The Witcher 3, at 4K. The CPU oscillates between high and low frequencies, never staying at its max frequency for long:

https://imgur.com/a/7aIo2

Edited by Bos Maior

Yes the turbo is not designed to run all the time, you have to overclock with lets say throttle stop. However the temps ar a major problem and there is few solutions, heres another thing that will help with temps https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

Some people even take off the keyboard to increase airflow plenty of them in this forum and all around the web, just use google with phrase like "y510p cooling"

Back to the topic i got my adapter, sadly i have to wait till my next paycheck before i start all my purchases(unexpected expanses came up)

On th bright side i see more and more watercooling versions of vega in the market and even the terrible prices(costs as much as some 1080ti) start to drop in a battle for a client.

I tried to look at different manufacturers, but its all thesame cards really and same aio, so ill just go for wichever will be cheaper.(mind you im refering to polish market, may not apply whare you live)

Also i was very impressed with gerald's "service", sent money in the morning, in afthernoon had already an email with a package tracking number :D

10 days later the adapter arrived, for now i test fitted it and enjoy... looking at it ? ^^

Also revised my initial plans and gona go with:

LG 27UD88-W monitor (i blame Bos Maior for infecting me with 4k bug :P )

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W PSU ( SSR-750PX )

And the above mentioned vega ^^ (planning is all i got left till paychek :P )

6 hours ago, Celestus said:

Yes the turbo is not designed to run all the time, you have to overclock with lets say throttle stop. However the temps ar a major problem and there is few solutions, heres another thing that will help with temps https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

Some people even take off the keyboard to increase airflow plenty of them in this forum and all around the web, just use google with phrase like "y510p cooling"

[...]

Also revised my initial plans and gona go with:

LG 27UD88-W monitor (i blame Bos Maior for infecting me with 4k bug :P )

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W PSU ( SSR-750PX )

And the above mentioned vega ^^ (planning is all i got left till paychek :P )

I think the adapter itself helps with cooling, too - CPU and GPU temperatures mostly remain in the 50-70 degrees range when I play The Witcher 3 (sorry, the only 3D game I'm playing at the moment), likely thanks to the fact that one of the main heat sources in the computer - that is to say, the GPU - has been taken out of the case.

And that is some cool hardware you're looking at! If you're going to be using the PSU for the graphics card only, 450W should be enough, at least for the Vega 56.

Hey guys,

I think we should start a graphics adapter users' thread to share information about how to configure the second and third version of the adapter, and our experiences using specific graphics cards with the Y510p. Right now a lot of information is buried somewhere amongst the many posts we've made, making it relatively difficult for newcomers to find the information they need.
 @gerald- would you be OK with this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for quick reply !

On second thought, i must think if its worth making this investment, as the adapter + new GPU + PSU would mean another 300+ EUR.

Whether to get a new one or go with this setup... sorry, i will reply as soon as i`ll make up my mind.

Thank you !

1 hour ago, LordVIPer said:

Thanks for quick reply !

On second thought, i must think if its worth making this investment, as the adapter + new GPU + PSU would mean another 300+ EUR.

Whether to get a new one or go with this setup... sorry, i will reply as soon as i`ll make up my mind.

Thank you !

Personally, I haven't regretted it a single moment. My laptop now fully supports 4K on the external monitor at more than 30hz (30 is the maximum the Y510p's own HDMI port can manage) and is a great gaming machine again - I don't expect I'll be buying a new PC for another few years.

Edited by Bos Maior

On 1.11.2017 at 9:54 PM, gerald said:

Hi all,

yes, I still sell these adapters.

Please pay €100,- (80,- + 20,- for int. shipping) to my PayPal account ([email protected]) with your shipping address.

I will send you the adapter within 2 working days.

Hi Geralt,

I just saw that you finished the adapters.

I will place my order soon, keep one for me =]

Cheers!

On 1.11.2017 at 10:36 PM, LordVIPer said:

Thanks for quick reply !

Thank you !

Well, there is a tradeoff.

The y510p has a very decent core processor, which is still very competitive despite the computer being 4 years old.

Its weak point is mainly the video processing unit. With this mod, you pay the price of mobility and ends up with a very good desktop gaming pc.

So if you need the mobility with better gpu, by all means buy a new laptop (it will cost about 4-10 times more than the 300 eur)

If gaming is made in the comfort of your home, i think this adapter is a very good compromise.

Hi,
I'm from Russia. My name is Vladimir.

I have still the adapter, but I have y500...

The adapter is in perfect condition.
Total: €80 (adapter + int. shipping).
PayPal account: weter_87@mail.ru
Send the complete address for sending the parcel.
Thank you!

Edited by Veter

Can anyone account for the following? According to GPU-z, my Vega 56 is using all 16 PCIe lanes. It was my understanding that the Ultrabay supported only 8 (the other 8 lanes being used for the internal NVIDIA GPU).

I ran the bus render test, but it still says 16 lanes.

I also saw something else that is of some interest today: Windows has re-enabled both the Intel and the NVIDIA graphics module - yet this is no longer causing any problems. No idea why. Better drivers? A change in how Windows 10 treats systems with multiple graphics modules?

GPUZ.jpg

Edited by Bos Maior

Got my Vega 64LC and its the same thing in gpuz, it shows 16lanes. And yes my windows also re-enabled inel/nvidia gpu's.

As for witcher 3 i mannaged to run it maxed (except nvdia hairworks) in around 42-48fps.

From other games i ran doom and mass effect:andromeda, also work maxed out, but i did not take an fps reading there.

15 minutes ago, Celestus said:

Got my Vega 64LC and its the same thing in gpuz, it shows 16lanes. And yes my windows also re-enabled inel/nvidia gpu's.

As for witcher 3 i mannaged to run it maxed (except nvdia hairworks) in around 42-48fps.

From other games i ran doom and mass effect:andromeda, also work maxed out, but i did not take an fps reading there.

Cool stuff!

I wonder if the fact that GPU-Z is reporting 16 lanes is down to Gerald's adapter having a PCIe x16 slot to plug the graphics card into, or whether the card really is using 16 lanes somehow.

On 04/11/2017 at 2:55 PM, Bos Maior said:

Cool stuff!

I wonder if the fact that GPU-Z is reporting 16 lanes is down to Gerald's adapter having a PCIe x16 slot to plug the graphics card into, or whether the card really is using 16 lanes somehow.

I used SiSoft Sandra to check what type of PCIe bus the external graphics card uses. It's PCIe 3.0 x8, attached to a x16 controller. The bandwidth is 15.63 GB/s - as one would expect.

@gerald- I noticed that there are other connectors inside the Ultrabay, too. In theory, could those be used to attach other devices?

Yes, there is sata 2.0 port next to ultrabay connector, you need an extension cable and than you can connect a second hdd with the adapter still in.

Another update for my vega would be some oc done. I cant touch the gpu clock as it crashes if i apply any changes to it, but it seems to manage with +50power limit on auto ranging from 1600-1710mhz depending on the game running. However the hbm2 memory is overclocking nicely, i got it from 945mhz to 1150mhz.

• Thumbs Up 1