Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

On 28/07/2017 at 0:22 AM, maawali said:

I would like to buy one, Do I need to modify my bios to make it work?

If you have one of the newer bioses then, yes. You need Bios version 2.07 and must use Windows 10 for this to work. Browse through the thread for more information (important information e.g. on page 4).

On 27/07/2017 at 10:27 AM, gerald said:

Can anyone confirm this? I have only a Y510p but I guess it is also running on an Y500.

The posts on these pages indicate that it doesn't:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9686-y510p-ultrabay-graphics-card/&page=9
https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9686-y510p-ultrabay-graphics-card/&page=11
https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9686-y510p-ultrabay-graphics-card/&page=12

I haven't seen every page of this thread, but the reason appears to be unknown.

Hello Everyone, haven't been to this topic for a long time, glad to see that @gerald is still manufacturing this adapter.

Someone who bought this adapter with me together modded this adapter, and found that after a little modding, this adapter can work with ALL version BIOS on Y410p/Y510p with an AMD card.

He tells me that , as the following pic shows, replace the 102 Chip Resistor with a 1002 Chip Resistor, that means changing the 1 to 10KΩ(He mentioned that 10KΩ~100KΩ is OK for it).

And then, ALL version BIOS on Y410p/Y510p works fine, No more BlackScreen Hanging, No more Unauthorized 2nd GPU balabala……

59808b5e28c24_TIM20170801220131.thumb.png.54fcf7833244bab9c57eb4832d8cf9e9.png

What's more, after this modding, a Y410p/Y510p can also enter the system with an nvidia card, but it shutdown immediately after 40 seconds, just like my Y500.(I mentioned the 40s shutdown issue on my Y500 in this topic long time ago). So after this modding, it seems that both Y410p/Y510P and Y400/Y500 has the same symptom with an Nvidia Card, 40s shutdown.

So, since it shutdowns itself , it seems that it is not a BIOS issue, but a EC issue.

After flashing the Y430p'EC together a Y410P's BIOS, his motherboard died. And he has to replace a new EC chip to bring his motherboard back to life.

He said this is the EC chip on motherboard.

59808b6887d9c_TIM20170801220153.thumb.jpg.3338fc256eb0d2871279dfedb48187f1.jpg59808b731abf1_TIM20170801220202.thumb.jpg.f69e5e11fd07a47cdc6b93ed39e76803.jpg

So, still got nothing to deal with the 40s shutdowns issue on Y410p/Y510p with Nvidia Cards.(Nvidia & AMD Cards on Y400/Y500)

As The following pic shows, now it shows a Microsoft basic graphics card with an yellow exclamation on Y410p with an Geforce 620 on a modded adapter.

59808b7dd405d_TIM20170801220220.thumb.jpg.cc0e936646c6dcdb669a4f40744709e1.jpg

And he tells me that whether mod it or not, Windows 10 is not necessary for the adapter. He said that Windows 7 8 8.1 also works with it.

And as for PSU, I think ensure its 6/8pins 12V power is enough for the graphics card is enough. You don't need a 600W+ PSU. I only know one person who got PSU issue for this adapter, and he bought a PSU at 50 RMB(7.5USD) including shipment fee.

@gerald Any idea with these Chip Resistors?

Edited by David 'SOAP' Washington
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Hello Everyone, haven't been to this topic for a long time, glad to see that @gerald is still manufacturing this adapter.

Someone who bought this adapter with me together modded this adapter, and found that after a little modding, this adapter can work with ALL version BIOS on Y410p/Y510p with an AMD card.

He tells me that , as the following pic shows, replace the 102 Chip Resistor with a 1002 Chip Resistor, that means changing the 1 to 10KΩ(He mentioned that 10KΩ~100KΩ is OK for it).

And then, ALL version BIOS on Y410p/Y510p works fine, No more BlackScreen Hanging, No more Unauthorized 2nd GPU balabala……

@gerald Any idea with these Chip Resistors?

Very cool! Thank you for sharing! I'd love being able to go back to a more recent version of the BIOS.

Edited by Bos Maior
Quote too long.

2 hours ago, Ron said:

Hi everyone, i was thinking... could i use an AMD vega 56 on this adapter?i know that it s overkill for 1080p but i'd mount it on a new pc in the future

I don't see why not, as long as the PSU provides enough power. After all, the entire purpose of the adapter is to make the Y510p compatable with (AMD) desktop video cards.

In any case, it's probably best to wait for confirmation from Gerald.

Edited by Bos Maior

Hi all, 

I've appeared at various times in this thread, never really having much luck with the adapter but holding out a lot of hope for my Y510p. So first I bought an Nvidia gpu. Then an R9 290, which I got working but it crashed under load - and after posting here, I determined that the card was likely faulty.

I've bought an MSI Rx580 in an attempt to finally get up and running.. Have invested a huge amount of time into this! 

My issue is still the same, extremely intermittent. The first time I plugged in the 580, fans spun upon pressing power, it detected the card, installed drivers, and gamed for an hour. After restarting, the card was no longer detected. No fans spinning upon pressing power. Have tried all connections, multiple psus (600w), and the only luck I sometimes have is after uninstalling the gt750 drivers. If I install gt750 drivers then uninstall and reboot - sometimes the 580 is detected. But since that initial run, I haven't got it working again. I've tried a fresh OS without success. 

I wonder about what causes the fans to spin upon pressing power, and if the psu isn't providing power to it consistently. Perhaps the pc needs a delay to detect the card, but don't know enough about this. Bios 2.07. Any suggestions at all, would be much appreciated. Have I got a faulty adapter?

Cheers 

34 minutes ago, Andrew54 said:

Hi all, 

I've appeared at various times in this thread, never really having much luck with the adapter but holding out a lot of hope for my Y510p. So first I bought an Nvidia gpu. Then an R9 290, which I got working but it crashed under load - and after posting here, I determined that the card was likely faulty.

I've bought an MSI Rx580 in an attempt to finally get up and running.. Have invested a huge amount of time into this! 

My issue is still the same, extremely intermittent. The first time I plugged in the 580, fans spun upon pressing power, it detected the card, installed drivers, and gamed for an hour. After restarting, the card was no longer detected. No fans spinning upon pressing power. Have tried all connections, multiple psus (600w), and the only luck I sometimes have is after uninstalling the gt750 drivers. If I install gt750 drivers then uninstall and reboot - sometimes the 580 is detected. But since that initial run, I haven't got it working again. I've tried a fresh OS without success. 

I wonder about what causes the fans to spin upon pressing power, and if the psu isn't providing power to it consistently. Perhaps the pc needs a delay to detect the card, but don't know enough about this. Bios 2.07. Any suggestions at all, would be much appreciated. Have I got a faulty adapter?

Cheers 

Hi Andrew 

I had the same problem as you described. 

The issue was the windows attempt to install the Nvidia drivers (stubborn windows), after recognized, windows messed up between AMD and Nvidia drivers. I don't remember which program I used to do the clean uninstall, but search on this forum (I don't remember the name, sorry) 

My solution was uninstall entirely Nvidia (drivers, software) and disable on the windows device manager. Once that the only video card able to work (beside the rx) is the windows drivers. I'm using the bios V2. 07 (the original one) 

Regards 

23 hours ago, JABKILL said:

Hi Andrew 

I had the same problem as you described. 

The issue was the windows attempt to install the Nvidia drivers (stubborn windows), after recognized, windows messed up between AMD and Nvidia drivers. I don't remember which program I used to do the clean uninstall, but search on this forum (I don't remember the name, sorry) 

My solution was uninstall entirely Nvidia (drivers, software) and disable on the windows device manager. Once that the only video card able to work (beside the rx) is the windows drivers. I'm using the bios V2. 07 (the original one) 

Regards 

Hi JK, all

Thank you for the suggestions and your experiences. For me, the situation seems a little more complex. Occasionally the card will be detected, and will give me enough hope to continue. I know it will be detected if the gpu fans start spinning upon boot. The DDU software I use a lot, and I can occasionally get the card detected by doing a DDU driver clean, installing Nvidia drivers (essential), disabling 750m, and uninstalling 750m driver from device manager. Once I get the Amd drivers installed, I need to reboot with the monitor connected to the gpu, and then it fails to detect.

I notice sometimes with gpu connected, I get error 10 on Microsoft driver for Intel hd audio device. 

Since I have eliminated so many factors (GPU, PSU, OS), I'm starting to even wonder about my monitor or hdmi cable. One other minor thing, I am booting from ngff ssd. Otherwise the laptop is standard.

Seriously, it's not even about gaming anymore - just want to figure this out!! Thanks to anyone that can help

Andrew. 

Did you put in legacy mode on bios? I think it the problem may be your bios setup. I suggest you to see Tesla video on this forum. Is clearly described all the steps. 

Edited by JABKILL
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JABKILL said:

Andrew. 

Did you put in legacy mode on bios? I think it the problem may be your bios setup. I suggest you to see Tesla video on this forum. Is clearly described all the steps. 

Yes is in legacy mode, and I think the rest of the settings are correct. Before 2.07, I did have the modded 2.07 bios. I wonder if it's possible that any corruption or previous settings remain 

Hi everyone,

I just ordered the components for 50 adapters :-) 

The production will last about 6-8 weeks. The cost for one adapter is €80,- and €20,- for int. shipping.

If you want to buy an adapter pls register at this doodle link.

https://doodle.com/poll/2i5difnygxcs4ibp

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, gerald said:

Hi everyone,

The production will last about 6-8 weeks. The cost for one adapter is €80,- and €20,- for int. shipping.

That's great news Gerald! Thanks!

21 hours ago, gerald said:

Hi everyone,

Registered there. I will take down my old doodle then (or do you want to keep it for your records?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Brian pinned this topic