Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

On 5/11/2017 at 8:43 PM, Heterodyne said:

If someone from Hungary need an adapter send me a PM.  Willing to sell mine, because I'm not using it.

Do u still got it it..? Can ship to Malaysia..? 

I would also be interested in an adapter.

In any case, amazing work Gerald!  I remember lots of discussions back when the y4/510p came out about whether this was possible, pretty cool to see that it is even if they aren't available anymore.

@Tesla I got an idea to cover up the rest of the area where the keyboard was before but leave the fan slot open for the laptop to breathe. I took an illustration board and traced the keyboard on it and cut out a small box on where the fan is at. At least now it won't get super dusty but the fan can still breathe properly. :D Here is a shot of what it looks like now.

1.thumb.jpg.e4df41f11b74e67db133e33028581d52.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

That is quite genius. funny thing I have many of these boards but the idea never crossed my mind.

It looks much cleaner, and you know what, I might just go crazy and CNC a custom cover in that case lol. :D 

I mean, technically you could just 3D print an entirely new cover and all. CNC would be expensive and the ease of just shorting the board would be kind of a waste. I just got a Y510P off eBay for 250 USD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VTRT said:

I mean, technically you could just 3D print an entirely new cover and all. CNC would be expensive and the ease of just shorting the board would be kind of a waste. I just got a Y510P off eBay for 250 USD.

I know a guy who has a big CNC so its cheaper for me and sometimes almost free D: and btw I usually use plastic acrylic sheets which does not only look good but also act as an insulator.

y510p for 250$ that is a bargain. I remember paying 1100$ for my y510P. Enjoy your y510p. if i were you i'd throw up another 250-300 for an i7 4930MX or a 4900MQ. I heard they are compatible.

I was going to aim for the 47,48, or 4900MQ. The 4900 is best of both worlds. But I'm currently just waiting for gerald to make some more adapters so I could modify power supplies into a portable 3D printed box. Acrylic is alright, but I heard ESD could be an issue.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, VTRT said:

I was going to aim for the 47,48, or 4900MQ. The 4900 is best of both worlds. But I'm currently just waiting for gerald to make some more adapters so I could modify power supplies into a portable 3D printed box. Acrylic is alright, but I heard ESD could be an issue.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

you are correct, ESD is something to be aware of but really I wouldn't be rubbing it to build a charge lol.

as for the CPU, if you're going to source one, just go for the 4900MQ, that single core boost to 3.8-4Ghz is totally worth it and very useful in games. I would also imagine overclocking all cores to the max it if the VRMs allow it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very well. I think this adapter is really a good life extension of this notebook and I am interested in one. 

I started a doodle so all interested people should sign it (so we can have a number of interested people for the dev. to decide if he want to make more of them). If Gerard is not interested in making a new pcb batch, i'd like to know if he could share/sell the PCB schematic so I could make my own without much trial and error.

Here is the link for the doodle below. Please put your username there.

http://doodle.com/poll/we7phzidv3vyqfkh#table

18 minutes ago, Bivoca said:

Very well. I think this adapter is really a good life extension of this notebook and I am interested in one. 

I started a doodle so all interested people should sign it (so we can have a number of interested people for the dev. to decide if he want to make more of them). If Gerard is not interested in making a new pcb batch, i'd like to know if he could share/sell the PCB schematic so I could make my own without much trial and error.

Here is the link for the doodle below. Please put your username there.

http://doodle.com/poll/we7phzidv3vyqfkh#table

Well, I was thinking of making this adapter myself (by destroying second GPU to extract/desolder the connector) and asked @gerald for sharing the design/pcb and how to make it. But he did not share. So I am hoping either he will share it when he is done making them and Ill make external GPU or Ill buy new PC in a meantime :o

I can understand his side.

In any case, the layout of the PCB is not overly complicated. It is just the hassle of designing it and figuring out what goes where that I'd like to avoid.

Truth be told, I would very much rather purchase the adaptor/schematic from gerard rather than building it myself.

And you don't have to destroy your GPU to get the connector. You can either buy any ultrabay adaptor (for, say, a hard disk or a CD drive) from ebay and remove that connector instead. If you can find a supplier close to you (pretty sure in asia there should be a shitload of dealers with some stock), the part number of the connector is 2199015-1.

Cheers,

• Brian pinned this topic