Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Hi,

firstly thank you for all the great help (answers) you have given up here. The external GPU mounting from Gerald really ist great, have used it for one month now. Sadly I have to part from it because of work (have to get a workstation, a small AMD Firepro can't handle my latest project). Therefore I am selling my connector from Gerald for the same amount 70€+shipping costs. PM me if you are interested!
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/adapter-for-egpu-lenovo-y510p-410p/572924189-225-6306
Best regards,
Robert

• Thumbs Up 1

@skavi mine isn't very loose yet it is not that firm either. I add pieces of foam beneath it for some extra support and adjusted the screws in a way that suits my desk.

@David 'SOAP' Washington @rusTORK  I came across this topic and i think it worth giving it a try on y500. it is a step by step guide on PCI pass-through to a VM while running linux.

forum.level1techs.com/t/gta-v-on-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough/87440

Edited by Tesla
added link

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 12. 19. at 5:03 PM, robertkv said:

Hi,

firstly thank you for all the great help (answers) you have given up here. The external GPU mounting from Gerald really ist great, have used it for one month now. Sadly I have to part from it because of work (have to get a workstation, a small AMD Firepro can't handle my latest project). Therefore I am selling my connector from Gerald for the same amount 70€+shipping costs. PM me if you are interested!
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/adapter-for-egpu-lenovo-y510p-410p/572924189-225-6306
Best regards,
Robert

Dear Robert, i would like to buy it.  Do you Still have it and Can you ship it to hungary? 

• Founder
On 1/1/2017 at 8:23 PM, QDIR said:

Can this program fix the internal display problem? 

i dont have the adapter yet to try it but it can be a solution. Someone brave Enough? :hyper:

Your post was edited.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2016/12/20 at 2:06 AM, Tesla said:

@skavi mine isn't very loose yet it is not that firm either. I add pieces of foam beneath it for some extra support and adjusted the screws in a way that suits my desk.

@David 'SOAP' Washington @rusTORK  I came across this topic and i think it worth giving it a try on y500. it is a step by step guide on PCI pass-through to a VM while running linux.

forum.level1techs.com/t/gta-v-on-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough/87440

I didn't finish reading the guide, but at the first sight I saw the "PCI pass-through", I think it needs VT-d, and after a roughly reading of it, I proved my thought.

My i7-3630qm does support VT-d, so, you know, still a dead end.

And, as it shutdown even in BIOS menu. I don't think this VM things can solve it.

I think that a VT-d PCI pass-through tech also effects after the BIOS POST. It can't part the pci-e lane from the BIOS when POST.

I have a ExpressCard version EXP-GDC adaptor. It has a hardware switch on it which has the options "0s","7s","15s". I think it works as a start up delay timer.

On my T430s(QM77 chip), it works on the "0s" option, first time power on after I plugin the EXP-GDC, laptop will shut down immediately and then auto power on again in 2~3secs. And then everything works well.

On another older laptop(945 chip), it stays blackscreen on "0s", but it will work well when I switch it to "15s".

Any idea about this kind of things? How does this effect when BIOS starts up? May be we need a 40s delay on Y500?

I tried to power on the laptop without plug the PSU for e-GPU, and then set to sleep mode, then plug the PSU, then wake up the laptop.

In this case, My Y500 Will shut down right after I wake up it, and auto power on in 3s, and shutdown, and power on, stuck in this loop until I plugout PSU of the e-gpu.

What will it happen to your Y510P when you start up without plugin the PSU of e-gpu, and then sleep it and plugin the PSU and wake up? Have you tried this thing on a Nvidia card?

Black screen? Shutdown & Power on loop? Or system just unrecognized the nvidia card but woke up normally?

Edited by David 'SOAP' Washington

On 1/1/2017 at 9:17 PM, Brian said:

You can get that program from here:

I think that egpu only effect in something like "bootloader", which will affect the system start up args. And it effects right after the BIOS POST, and it can't affect the BIOS, am i right?

Any idea of the Y500's 40secs shutdown? It shuts down even in BIOS menu, I think at that time only BIOS has started(things in ROM chip), and nothing in the disk drive can affect this.

Will something like EXP-GDC's "0s""7s""15s" delay options affect on this issue?

7 hours ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

I didn't finish reading the guide, but at the first sight I saw the "PCI pass-through", I think it needs VT-d, and after a roughly reading of it, I proved my thought.

My i7-3630qm does support VT-d, so, you know, still a dead end.

And, as it shutdown even in BIOS menu. I don't think this VM things can solve it.

I think that a VT-d PCI pass-through tech also effects after the BIOS POST. It can't part the pci-e lane from the BIOS when POST.

I have a ExpressCard version EXP-GDC adaptor. It has a hardware switch on it which has the options "0s","7s","15s". I think it works as a start up delay timer.

On my T430s(QM77 chip), it works on the "0s" option, first time power on after I plugin the EXP-GDC, laptop will shut down immediately and then auto power on again in 2~3secs. And then everything works well.

On another older laptop(945 chip), it stays blackscreen on "0s", but it will work well when I switch it to "15s".

Any idea about this kind of things? How does this effect when BIOS starts up? May be we need a 40s delay on Y500?

I tried to power on the laptop without plug the PSU for e-GPU, and then set to sleep mode, then plug the PSU, then wake up the laptop.

In this case, My Y500 Will shut down right after I wake up it, and auto power on in 3s, and shutdown, and power on, stuck in this loop until I plugout PSU of the e-gpu.

What will it happen to your Y510P when you start up without plugin the PSU of e-gpu, and then sleep it and plugin the PSU and wake up? Have you tried this thing on a Nvidia card?

Black screen? Shutdown & Power on loop? Or system just unrecognized the nvidia card but woke up normally?

on bios 2.07 it'll boot with psu off and card connected. however it will use the nvidia dgpu as its main gpu. and it will not detect eGPU after wakeup.

now if i connect an nvidia gpu, it will stuck in a boot loop, doing the same procedure with nvidia card; windows will wake up but wont even recognize the eGPU.(nvidia is a dead end right now, it is definitely a bios whitelist)

on 3.05 it will refuse to boot and ask you to disconnect the adapter(even will the psu disconnected).

On 1/15/2017 at 7:39 PM, angel_grin said:

hey skavi. can you do a review once you have it up and running?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

It works. I got it, but decided to return my GPU and get a different one (Red Devil to Strix) pretty quickly, so I didn't have much time for testing.

@Tesla posted some benchmarks here.

Edited by skavi

It works. I got it, but decided to return my GPU and get a different one (Red Devil to Strix) pretty quickly, so I didn't have much time for testing.

@Tesla posted some benchmarks here.

thanks, does it work with the internal screen? or do we need to hook it up to an external display?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

On 2017/1/1 at 3:54 AM, rusTORK said:

@QDIR, If Robert didn't respond to you - i may sell adapter too. ;) 

Hello! Is your y500 already brush into the cracked version BIOS? That you in the test "UltraaBay Pcie" have shut down this option in the BIOS .

QQ图片20170119105016.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has been in the same situation - I still haven't got my y510p adapter working correctly.

Am running an Asus R9 290 (with 600w PSU), and get the dreaded 'radeon display driver has stopped responding error', that a lot of users online seem to complain about.  I only get this error while gaming, and usually after 20-30 seconds of load.

I have tried a fresh install of Windows 10, and tried adding the tdr delay - neither had any effect.  Despite having this adapter some months now, I am really looking forward to using it - and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how I could debug or resolve this issue? I don't think the GPU is faulty, but I'm still not sure if the issue is related to the adapter or not. 

Kind regards,

Andrew

• Brian pinned this topic