Y510p Ultrabay Graphics card

gerald

Hello everyone!

I am very happy, that someone with right head used Ultrabay for eGPU. Damn x8 instead of x1 it's a really BIG step forward. And no all that mPCI-E, NGFF, Thunderbold...

So, close to the bussiness. I have got:

Lenovo Y500 (so called Gen.1) with:

Intel Core i7-3630QM

8GB RAM

2048Mb NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M SLI

Windows 10 Pro x64

I have got Modded BIOS made by svl7, but don't flashed it yet. Keeping it just in case.

So, i would like to:

1. Buy Ultrabay Adapter;

2. Test it on my system.

I have got access to ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 for testings and maybe i will buy Radeon for proper function.

Update: Yeah, if compare prices on GTX 1060 6G  - Radeon RX 460 look's pretty afforable. In fact i may upgrade my system for about... $300.

So, main question is what eBay link is working? =)

Update: I see the link, i will sent money in a day or two. Keep one adapter for me!

Edited by rusTORK

@rusTORK Your ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 won't work with the adapter at all. It has to be an AMD card. With Nvidia cards, you won't be able to boot into Windows 10.

Also, make sure the modded bios you have are version 2.07 or earlier. Anything after 2.07 won't work. You can back flash if needed.

Edited by ManyStrongWords

5 hours ago, ManyStrongWords said:

Your ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 won't work with the adapter at all. It has to be an AMD card. With Nvidia cards, you won't be able to boot into Windows 10.

I know it's don't work now. Saying "i have got access to..." i mean IF there will be progress with compatibility of NVIDIA cards - i have got one for test and confirm it. Now it's dead end, but why don't be prepare? =)

5 hours ago, ManyStrongWords said:

Also, make sure the modded bios you have are version 2.07 or earlier. Anything after 2.07 won't work. You can back flash if needed.

Modded BIOS for Lenovo Y500 by svl7 is v2.04. My official by Lenovo, which i am currently useing, also v2.04. There is no anything more new. So, i think i am good at this point.

15 hours ago, hadi-dvb said:

I live in Iran and due to financial sanctions against Iran I can't either make orders on ebay or pay through Paypal. :logik:

Try to look for so called "Mail Forward Service" in Europe, USA and maybe in UK. Your may pay this company, they will sent money to gerald on ebay, he will ship adapter to them and they will re-ship it to your.

Chain is long, but it's better then nothing.

Edited by rusTORK
Typo #2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pardon my ignorance, I know nothing about BIOS modding or SLI.

If part of the problem of getting external NVIDIA cards working is

-an SLI bridge soldered into the hardware (as David Washington suggests)  and

-a conflict between different NVIDIA GPU models that prevents booting (as dsigned suggests)

would it be possible to blacklist the dGPUs (e.g. 650M, 750M, 755M) to avoid the SLI conflict? Or does the SLI hardware have some master/slave configuration that prevents this from working (i.e. booting with only the slave)?

Edited by intuxacated

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2016 at 3:54 AM, Tesla said:

#Requirements:
1-AMD graphics card(NVIDIA cards are not working due to bios white-list).
2.External monitor.
3.External/Desktop power supply that has enough juice for your graphics card.
4-Stock bios version 2.07 or 2.04.(slv7 wlan whitelist mod based on 2.04/2.07 will work just fine).
5-Windows 10.

#Installation(step by step):
1-Uninstall Nvidia Drivers (Optional), disable your 750m/755m from the Device mgr. and shutdown.
2-Connect your Ultrabay adapter, eGPU, and PSU.
3-Connect your display to the laptop's HDMI/VGA (to install drivers).
4-Power up the laptop.
5-Windows should recognize the connected GPU and will display it as Basic Video Adapter in the Device mgr.
6-Download and install latest drivers for your graphics card (AMD or NVIDIA).
7-Unplug the monitor from the laptop's HDMI/VGA and connect it to the external amd card.
8-Reboot!
That is all.

#Performance:
The adapter provides PCIe 3.0 x8 bandwidth(x16 Slot) to the external graphics card. The overall performance will come down to your eGPU and CPU horse power.

I've been playing games using the MSI RX 470 4G and the performance is phenomenal. Witcher 3 on high/ultra settings w/
hairworks off gives me high 50s to 60s fps. GTA 5 60fps capped with vsync. CoD BO3 90-120fps on high settings.

So yeah the experience is pretty good. No crashes or anything of that sort.

#Benchmarks(Core i7 4700MQ @3.00 Ghz | MSI RX 470 Gaming X 4G):
#3D Mark Fire Strike(CPU: 3.00 Ghz | GPU Stock clocks 1242Mhz/1650Mhz)
Score            9466
Graphics score    11907
Physics Score    8155
Combined Score    4123

#3D Mark Time Spy 1.0 (CPU: 3.00 Ghz | GPU MSI_FactoryOC 1254Mhz/1675Mhz)
Score            3545
Graphics score    3620
CPU Score        3177

#Notes:
1-Use a quality PSU. I am using 600W Antec PSU. Yes it is an overkill for the rx 470 but better be safe than sorry I guess.

2-I was able to enable the laptop's internal display by simply re-enabling GT755M from the device mgr. however you can't run games
on it. but you may use it for running other softwares. I'd recommend to keep it disabled.

3-You may disable the Intel igpu (Intel HD4600) but I recommend to keep it enabled, You can simply plug a monitor to the laptop's hdmi or vga port without having to take out the eGPU or the adapter. This might come in handy if you wish to reinstall drivers or access windows safe mode, or even for installing another OS (Linux for example).

4-You won't be able to see BIOS/Windows loading screen on your external GPU.

#Links:

Photo Gallary - Y510P stock BIOS version 2.07 - ManyStrongWords YouTube video - Gerald's Setup

I'd love to thank Gerald for his awesome adapter. It brought life back to my Y510P. so THANK YOU <3. and great job man.

imo this is the best laptop upgrade ever.

Hey nice gallery! Could you also include a picture how the adapter looks upside down? Because it is only from the green board side now. And I wonder how much stress does that introduces on the ultrabay connector and how long will it hold.

@lil kim Thank you. More pictures have been added as requested.

The adapter will hold strong. it has three unthreaded standoffs that serve as legs. you can swap them for something else(like some rubber feet) if you don't like it. but for me it does the job. As for the stress on the Ultrabay connector, i don't think there is any. As a safety measure I put a piece of foam inside the bay.

14 hours ago, Tesla said:

@lil kim Thank you. More pictures have been added as requested.

The adapter will hold strong. it has three unthreaded standoffs that serve as legs. you can swap them for something else(like some rubber feet) if you don't like it. but for me it does the job. As for the stress on the Ultrabay connector, i don't think there is any. As a safety measure I put a piece of foam inside the bay.

On 12/09/2016 at 9:03 PM, gerald said:

Sorry but I can't offer an other source. But there are some companies from usa which can do the order.

O I see those under the screws were the stand-offs, cleverly done ;). Yeah, it should hold!

I see that not everyone will get the adapter because the auction is ended and gerald would probably not hold it forever. So now for the sake if someone finds this thread in 5 years and would like to renew their PC, it should be interesting to see the schematics on this board. Not sure if someone will make very good pictures of the board were values of the components can be seen, or the author @gerald itself would share it now or later. But I am sure after this PC is old enough, ultrabay can be taken out, the connector could be desoldered, and then following the design of this adaptor anyone could make similar setup.

Well, i am ordered one from gerald on eBay. Now i am waiting when he comlete work with PCB and shipping.

5 years is a huge period... I don't think someone have a strong reason to do it. After 5 years each part of  any LENOVO laptop will be too old for any upgrade. Especially for games.

Soldering and desoldering components in general hard work. Your really need skills to do it right. Especially when we talk about something with high voltage.

I think main thing what need to focus are:

1. Find way to disable white lists or at least find way to edit it. Need to find way to use NVIDIA cards. It's a big limit of adapter.

2. Find way to forward picture from eGPU to Internal Display (iDisplay) instead of External Display (eDisplay)?

I know the trick for NVIDIA cards (need to add few lines in driver), but i don't know such things for Radeon driver.

Edited by rusTORK

1 hour ago, rusTORK said:

Well, i am ordered one from gerald on eBay. Now i am waiting when he comlete work with PCB and shipping.

5 years is a huge period... I don't think someone have a strong reason to do it. After 5 years each part of  any LENOVO laptop will be too old for any upgrade. Especially for games.

Soldering and desoldering components in general hard work. Your really need skills to do it right. Especially when we talk about something with high voltage.

I think main thing what need to focus are:

1. Find way to disable white lists or at least find way to edit it. Need to find way to use NVIDIA cards. It's a big limit of adapter.

2. Find way to forward picture from eGPU to Internal Display (iDisplay) instead of External Display (eDisplay)?

I know the trick for NVIDIA cards (need to add few lines in driver), but i don't know such things for Radeon driver.

You are right. The worst think - bios modder SLV7 seems to be retired on these forums. So we might be on our own for 1) on your list. But on the 2), if its only the driver "problem", then maybe same procedure could be carried on? What do you do on nvidia cards, modify the inf file? If so, what exactly do you do? Maybe you could attach an example and someone will figure out similar procedure on radeons.

Btw, this computer is old enough and with a VERY limited haswell CPU, making eGPU solution kind of has same value as in 5 years I believe. CPUs are not getting WAY better, but GPUs do. So attaching new one in 5 years could make newest games running I think. That is why I am afraid that in 5 years schematics will be lost forever, and those wanting to do it later on will not be able to do it so.

Hello everyone!

So I been working on the ultrabay whitelist removal, and I need some testers who can try it out. The bios flashes without a problem, but without an adapter I'm not able test that it works or not. So I need some volunteers who have an adaper and an NVIDA card.

Here is the 2.07 rom with ultrabay whitelist modified:  https://mega.nz/#!dp81HA7b!owk4YHjE5_VIlVZu4aWNTDn0xnAfVEs0EbRVXFjbNKs

This is for the Gt750m version.

This rom doesn't have the wlan whitelist removed, so you should unplug it if you have a non-factory wlan card.

If you are on 3.05 or higher do a rollback to 2.07 with the official updater and flash the rom.

Make a backup before flashing just in case.

If you willing to test, please post here the following:

1. Operation system

2. What GPU  you used

3. if you encounter something like reboot, black screen, etc.

Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2016/10/4 at 4:04 PM, Heterodyne said:

Hello everyone!

So I been working on the ultrabay whitelist removal, and I need some testers who can try it out. The bios flashes without a problem, but without an adapter I'm not able test that it works or not. So I need some volunteers who have an adaper and an NVIDA card.

Here is the 2.07 rom with ultrabay whitelist modified:  https://mega.nz/#!dp81HA7b!owk4YHjE5_VIlVZu4aWNTDn0xnAfVEs0EbRVXFjbNKs

This rom doesn't have the wlan whitelist removed, so you should unplug it if you have a non-factory wlan card.

If you are on 3.05 or higher do a rollback to 2.07 with the official updater and flash the rom.

1. Operation system

2. What GPU  you used

Thank you!

Bravo man, I have a Y500 with GT650m SLI and 2.04 BIOS, is there any possible to make a mod for this if your BIOS mod works with Y510p GT750m SLI and 2.07 BIOS?

And my laptop is a Chinese one, I do believe Chinese version and US/Worldwide have different Windows Activation Infomation in the BIOS/UEFI, cuz Chinese version laptop can only activate a special version of Windows for China Mainland. And it won't activate the worldwide version windows. Any idea to solve this?

And what's worse is that I'm not sure does a US version based BIOS/UEFI mod can works with a Chinese version laptop or not.

Once my friend and I bought two same US version ThinkPad T430s, I updated BIOS/UEFI with an official tool downloaded on the US officail website, and it works well.
But my friend forgot his laptop is an US version one, and update it with an offical tool downloaded on the Chinese official website, and his laptop turned into a brick(that means unable to power up at all or unable to start up the BIOS/UEFI correctly and reboot automatically) after the update.
As for both ThinkPad and IdeaPad Y-serise are Lenovo's product, you know what I mean.

I noticed that your file updated is a ROM file. I think this kind of BIOS mod should be tested carefully and detailed by an experienced man who has a chip-programmer and be able to recorver the laptop from a brick status at first.

What I mean in brief is that an US/Worldwide ver.Bios and a Chinese one DO have differences in Avtivation part, and MAY have differences which can make the laptop turns into a brick when someone tries to flash a US ver. BIOS based BIOS Mod into a Chinese ver. laptop and vice versa.

Is there any possible to make a tool just like the SLV7's tool that can automatically mod the BIOS rom/bin file which the user just backuped from the Chip???
It's much safer in this way.

The adaptors for me and other chinese buyers should be arrived in a week or two, some of them have the same hardware version laptop you need, and it's a Chinese ver BIOS one.
I'll ask them whether they'er willing to test your ROM file after the adaptors arrived.

(BTW, why I just cannot login Tech|Inferno via my Steam account these days? I just find out it fixed up for me to login today, damn.)

5 minutes ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Bravo man, I have a Y500 with GT650m SLI and 2.04 BIOS, is there any possible to make a mod for this if your BIOS mod works with Y510p GT750m SLI and 2.07 BIOS?

And my laptop is a Chinese one, I do believe Chinese version and US/Worldwide have different Windows Activation Infomation in the BIOS/UEFI, cuz Chinese version laptop can only activate a special version of Windows for China Mainland. And it won't activate the worldwide version windows. Any idea to solve this?

And what's worse is that I'm not sure does a US version based BIOS/UEFI mod can works with a Chinese version laptop or not.

Once my friend and I bought two same US version ThinkPad T430s, I updated BIOS/UEFI with an official tool downloaded on the US officail website, and it works well.
But my friend forgot his laptop is an US version one, and update it with an offical tool downloaded on the Chinese official website, and his laptop turned into a brick(that means unable to power up at all or unable to start up the BIOS/UEFI correctly and reboot automatically) after the update.
As for both ThinkPad and IdeaPad Y-serise are Lenovo's product, you know what I mean.

I noticed that your file updated is a ROM file. I think this kind of BIOS mod should be tested carefully and detailed by an experienced man who has a chip-programmer and be able to recorver the laptop from a brick status at first.

What I mean in brief is that an US/Worldwide ver.Bios and a Chinese one DO have differences in Avtivation part, and MAY have differences which can make the laptop turns into a brick when someone tries to flash a US ver. BIOS based BIOS Mod into a Chinese ver. laptop and vice versa.

Is there any possible to make a tool just like the SLV7's tool that can automatically mod the BIOS rom/bin file which the user just backuped from the Chip???
It's much safer in this way.

The adaptors for me and other chinese buyers should be arrived in a week or two, some of them have the same hardware version laptop you need, and it's a Chinese ver BIOS one.
I'll ask them whether they'er willing to test your ROM file after the adaptors arrived.

(BTW, why I just cannot login Tech|Inferno via my Steam account these days? I just find out it fixed up for me to login today, damn.)

Well, I would test myself, but I dont have an adapter yet ( ordered form the second batch, delivery is probably still a month away), thats why I posted it so users can help me testing it the meantime.

Like I said I flashed it myself, so I didn't posted something that can brick the laptop. The y500 bios probably can be modifed too, but until I know how to make it work on the y510p I cant really promise anything.

I advise not to get your hopes up, while I try to do my best, it could still be impossible for me to make it work with an NV gpu.

Flasing a ROM is not without danger, there is always a possibility of bricking the system. The modified bios is just for testing, so you should only use it if you can recover in case of failure.

On 2016/10/5 at 8:59 PM, Heterodyne said:

Well, I would test myself, but I dont have an adapter yet ( ordered form the second batch, delivery is probably still a month away), thats why I posted it so users can help me testing it the meantime.

Like I said I flashed it myself, so I didn't posted something that can brick the laptop. The y500 bios probably can be modifed too, but until I know how to make it work on the y510p I cant really promise anything.

I advise not to get your hopes up, while I try to do my best, it could still be impossible for me to make it work with an NV gpu.

Flasing a ROM is not without danger, there is always a possibility of bricking the system. The modified bios is just for testing, so you should only use it if you can recover in case of failure.

Yeap, I just wanna mention the differences, and make sure others who wanna test it don't make a mistake.

I also heard that there's even two version of Y410p/510p??? The elder version disabled integrated gpu just like Y400/Y500, and the newer version enabled it.

So, which version does your Mod based on? The official 2.07 US version of Y410p/Y510p with the igpu enabled?

3 hours ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

Yeap, I just wanna mention the differences, and make sure others who wanna test it don't make a mistake.

I also heard that there's even two version of Y410p/510p??? The elder version disabled integrated gpu just like Y400/Y500, and the newer version enabled it.

So, which version does your Mod based on? The official 2.07 US version of Y410p/Y510p with the igpu enabled?

All versions of the Y510p/Y410p had iGPU enabled if you removed the SLI GPU from the Ultrabay (since Optimus is incompatible with SLI). The Y500/Y400 had iGPU disabled no matter what.

11 hours ago, octiceps said:

All versions of the Y510p/Y410p had iGPU enabled if you removed the SLI GPU from the Ultrabay (since Optimus is incompatible with SLI). The Y500/Y400 had iGPU disabled no matter what.

What I heard is that all Y410p/Y510p sold in worldwide market had iGPU enabled, the iGPU disabled version only sold in china mainland.

I just want to know which version does this mod base on exactly, so I can ask other users I know who has the correct version of laptop whether he/she wants to have a try or not.

;

On 2016/10/4 at 4:04 PM, Heterodyne said:

Hello everyone!

1. Operation system

2. What GPU  you used

Thank you!

And, I just found that the ROM FILE is no longer available on MEGA, anything wrong with it?

12 minutes ago, David 'SOAP' Washington said:

What I heard is that all Y410p/Y510p sold in worldwide market had iGPU enabled, the iGPU disabled version only sold in china mainland.

I just want to know which version does this mod base on exactly, so I can ask other users I know who has the correct version of laptop whether he/she wants to have a try or not.

;

And, I just found that the ROM FILE is no longer available on MEGA, anything wrong with it?

I have the igpu enabled version.

Yes I deleted it, I got an email from gerald on the weekend, the adapter probably arrives this week, so I can test myself.

1 minute ago, Heterodyne said:

I have the igpu enabled version.

Yes I deleted it, I got an email from gerald on the weekend, the adapter probably arrives this week, so I can test myself.

Congratulations, and can help waiting for your triumphant news.

Mine is also on the way, but it doesn't update the Delivery status for days since it started to ship out. I think I may have to wait for weeks, Damn.

On 28.09.2016 at 3:09 PM, lil kim said:

You are right. The worst think - bios modder SLV7 seems to be retired on these forums. So we might be on our own...

I think we just need to look for another SLV7. :)

On 28.09.2016 at 3:09 PM, lil kim said:

What do you do on nvidia cards, modify the inf file? If so, what exactly do you do? Maybe you could attach an example and someone will figure out similar procedure on radeons.

Not actually i am personally, i am founded it in the web. My small work was only copy all information about it for later use. I will share it later (when we got positive results with NVIDIA).

12 hours ago, Heterodyne said:

I got an email from gerald on the weekend, the adapter probably arrives this week, so I can test myself.

I am also got e-mail, but not from him. I got an e-mail from eBay, but yeah... adapter is on the way to me too.

Edited by rusTORK

• Brian pinned this topic