[Help]MSI GT70 MS-17621 motherboard will not boot, has signs of life.

Bizeek

Disclaimer: Apologies for long post.

Hello everyone(active),

I have a possible huge problem with my GT70 MS-17621 ver 1.0 motherboard as I believe the GTX 680M videocard has fried the onboard video circuit of the motherboard(mobo).

The mobo did work fine before after taking out thr videocard, but came with problem of the fan blowing 100% after few seconds starting up from power button press. 

After trying to get the videocard to work/post (without consulting any forums,at the time), I tried to make the card work again by installing back in 5 or more times in span of 1 hour. 

After fifth time install card back in, then take out the card, the system will not ever post anymore, the power LED will not change from white to orange anymore and nothing will post on screen display.

I have tried to do blind flash of unlocked bios method but spamming pressing keys Ctrl+Home, (Ctrl+FN+PageUp)(even Shift variation) to no avail in beeps or changes in status.

I believe now the issue has resided to hardware IC chip failure on the motherboard since it will not ever post anymore, with or without the videocard installed.

what I am afraid now is to install new(used) videocard MSI GTX770M 3GB card in, and the motherboard could also fry up the new videocard also.

I have dealt with a non-working GT70 laptop for this past month now and been reading all threads in this MSI category for solution but it seems no one has come across this problem, from dead videocard also make the mobo die along with it after a couple of more tests for any signs of electronic life.

If someone can chime in about which area on the motherboard can be the problem, I would like to try and diagnosis+troubleshoot why this is happening.

So, basically signs of life from MS-17621 motherboard are:

Pressing Turbo, Fan, Backlight, Monitor buttons on trim panel = lights up/or fades out

keyboard backlight lights up all white after pressing backlight button,

pressing second time and third time turns off backlight sections and off.

battery charging still works for good battery, battery light lights up when 180w ACadapter is plugged in.

After about 30-45 seconds without pressing turbofan button, the fan kicks into high RPM mode and when pressing Turbo button after, the fan will not change speed and stay on high.

Power button LED will remain white and never change to orange.

No error code beeps ever come out of speakers since problem happened, and will not beep for blindflash attempt.

I truly need the help, just knowing I bought this laptop back in December 2012 for $2,300 makes me feel this GT70 needs CPR rescue to come back to life, either by a certified gaming laptop technician or by MSI support, it has worked very well up till this past month.

Edited by Bizeek
Correct spelling in part of paragraph

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried taking out 1 stick of RAM and boot? This should reset the NVRAM to defaults. If that doesn't do the trick you should also do a CMOS reset by unplugging the little 2-wire battery cable for about 5-10 minutes/plug it back in again and boot. Keep the GPU in the MXM slot whilst trying these steps.

On 2016-04-04 at 0:58 AM, Bizeek said:

Disclaimer: Apologies for long post.

Hello everyone(active),

I have a possible huge problem with my GT70 MS-17621 ver 1.0 motherboard as I believe the GTX 680M videocard has fried the onboard video circuit of the motherboard(mobo).

The mobo did work fine before after taking out thr videocard, but came with problem of the fan blowing 100% after few seconds starting up from power button press

After trying to get the videocard to work/post (without consulting any forums,at the time), I tried to make the card work again by installing back in 5 or more times in span of 1 hour. 

After fifth time install card back in, then take out the card, the system will not ever post anymore, the power LED will not change from white to orange anymore and nothing will post on screen display.

I have tried to do blind flash of unlocked bios method but spamming pressing keys Ctrl+Home, (Ctrl+FN+PageUp)(even Shift variation) to no avail in beeps or changes in status.

I believe now the issue has resided to hardware IC chip failure on the motherboard since it will not ever post anymore, with or without the videocard installed.

what I am afraid now is to install new(used) videocard MSI GTX770M 3GB card in, and the motherboard could also fry up the new videocard also.

I have dealt with a non-working GT70 laptop for this past month now and been reading all threads in this MSI category for solution but it seems no one has come across this problem, from dead videocard also make the mobo die along with it after a couple of more tests for any signs of electronic life.

If someone can chime in about which area on the motherboard can be the problem, I would like to try and diagnosis+troubleshoot why this is happening.

So, basically signs of life from MS-17621 motherboard are:

Pressing Turbo, Fan, Backlight, Monitor buttons on trim panel = lights up/or fades out

keyboard backlight lights up all white after pressing backlight button,

pressing second time and third time turns off backlight sections and off.

battery charging still works for good battery, battery light lights up when 180w ACadapter is plugged in.

After about 30-45 seconds without pressing turbofan button, the fan kicks into high RPM mode and when pressing Turbo button after, the fan will not change speed and stay on high.

Power button LED will remain white and never change to orange.

No error code beeps ever come out of speakers since problem happened, and will not beep for blindflash attempt.

I truly need the help, just knowing I bought this laptop back in December 2012 for $2,300 makes me feel this GT70 needs CPR rescue to come back to life, either by a certified gaming laptop technician or by MSI support, it has worked very well up till this past month.

Edited by Suoah

Sometimes if You change to much in short Time the GT70 starts with black Screen.

Take Battery and Powersupply out and disconnect the Bios Battery nearly the Fan,push ca. 30 seconds the Powerbutton and take all back.

Normaly the GT70 starts after this.

(UPDATE) June 9,2016 - CPRS guys cannot fix it and are being sketchy wanting to send it back to me, they messaged me saying to cone pick it up.  These guys have the indian accent the last time i talked to them over the phone. I am trying to get them to ship it back to me asap.

I have sent the whole laptop to CPRS in Miami for repair, i sent it last week.  Hopefully they would have a good look at it and determine why the videocard fried the display part of the mainboard, causing the no display or boot up.

Edited by Bizeek
Update status of "repair"

• 3 months later...

Hi Bizeek, 

I have exactly the same problem you had, all the exact same symptoms. 

I tried all the resets as you did to no avail also. 

I have spent an enormous amount of time on this problem, and have tried everything, not LED backlight, etc, etc.

What was the final resolution to your problem?

I am simply dying to know........

i would also gladly welcome, with open arms, any thoughts that anyone might have on this subject.

I thank anyone who takes the time to post and help others. 

Untold suffering and anguish has been averted thanks to people helping strangers out.....

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi everyone,

Got the same problem here on MS-17621 whitebook (Fangbook).

Laptop starts, screen backlight turns on, but no image (on internal or external screen via HDMI or VGA out). Touchbar is responsive though (fan toggle, KB backlight toggle works...).

I also tried to flash an update system BIOS (via CH341A) but no joy.

Usually that method works, I have brought to life many laptops stuck on blank screen but nothing here.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears :)

• 2 months later...