eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I followed the instructions here although I understand they're 2 years old. All of the steps made sense and were easy to complete. I do have the DIY eGPU setup 1.3.

I'm in Windows 10 now with the drivers installed. It recognizes the GTX960 but says Windows has stopped this device because it reported an error. In events it says:

> Device PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_32011462&REV_A1\4&16c2da34&0&00E2 requires further installation.

Driver version is 10.18.13.5900.

I'm unable to start Nvidia Control Panel. Any ideas?

The usual fix for this is to downgrade your link from Gen2 to Gen1 using Setup 1.30's PCIe Ports->Gen1 menu.

If still unreliable then look at testing individual components in your eGPU hardware chain: eGPU adapter, video card, PSU.

Have heard other less common reasons for this fault: one user saying the fridge turning on caused a power spike. Another plugging in their mouse caused some power/chipset spike.

I downgraded the link successfully but same issue is occurring. I disconnected all of the peripherals just in case.

I'm not sure how to test the components individually. They're all new and the setup reflects the instructions I linked to. Power switch is working both on PSU and on the board. SW1=1 SW2=2-3.

Couple other things I noticed:

- Have to disconnect the PCIe card before booting up--otherwise it stops at the initial "Thinkpad" load up.

I have this as my startup:

call iport dGPU off

call vidwait 60 10de:1401

call vidinit -d 10de:1401

call pci

:end

call chainload mbr

I have checked that 10de:1401 is the correct device id but I'm unsure of the other lines. The instructions said to use this:

call speedup lbcache

call iport dGPU off

call vidwait 60 10de:1004 (your Hardware IDs may differ)

call vidinit -d 10de:1004 (your Hardware IDs may differ)

call

call pci

call grub4dos mbr

but I understand the first line isn't necessary and I wasn't 100% sure that the last line wasn't out of date (I had tried it once before while on Gen2 and it didn't work).

Is there any more information I can provide that would help dig further into the issue?

I downgraded the link successfully but same issue is occurring. I disconnected all of the peripherals just in case.

Ensure you are using Setup 1.30 to downgrade the link rather than any BIOS settings or any earlier versions of that software. Check it's downgraded within Windows using GPU-Z while placing the eGPU under load. It should report x1 1.1 rather than x1 2.0.

If that's the case then the Setup 1.30 configuration is all OK and the issue is elsewhere: eGPU adapter, video card, PSU. You can still downclock the card and set lower power limits using MSI Afterburner before swapping/replacing hardware.

Ensure you are using Setup 1.30 to downgrade the link rather than any BIOS settings or any earlier versions of that software. Check it's downgraded within Windows using GPU-Z while placing the eGPU under load. It should report x1 1.1 rather than x1 2.0.

I think I need to do some playing around with it. I do see x1 1.1 but all of the stats are either unknown or 0 MHz. I'll post back after I've tried a few things.

First off, I noticed plenty of people having trouble patching Elitebooks. I've attached my fixes for the 8570w and if enough are curious I'll describe how.

So I noticed plenty still get error 12 post patching. I went through the laundry list...

• F8 at boot
  • Manual plug in at my boot screen
  • egpu setup - failed to compact/disable, looking into this now - BIOS shenanigans
  • Hot plug
  • Complete PCI reset via windows

I don't need someone to hold my hand. I appreciate hints even more I want to learn. I'm just at day two with this process and there's a lot I don't know.

DSDTHPE8570W_ZJOB.zip

First off, I noticed plenty of people having trouble patching Elitebooks. I've attached my fixes for the 8570w and if enough are curious I'll describe how.

So I noticed plenty still get error 12 post patching. I went through the laundry list...

• F8 at boot
  • Manual plug in at my boot screen
  • egpu setup - failed to compact/disable, looking into this now - BIOS shenanigans
  • Hot plug
  • Complete PCI reset via windows

I don't need someone to hold my hand. I appreciate hints even more I want to learn. I'm just at day two with this process and there's a lot I don't know.

Please acquire Setup 1.30 and re-do PCI compaction http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html

I sent an email.. But probably best to ask here. Can I get assurance this failure is not system related and that it is a matter of just using the new setup?

Edit)

Ran completely stock bios down

Attempted modifications of devcon and other settings to coupe, no dice. I'll purchase.

Is this still relevant about error code 43?

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#error43_faq1

Some of the instructions are so old it's tough to know whether the more recent drivers have come to fix these issues.

Had no luck. The parts are fine, it's something in my config.

Following this thread the settings don't seem to stick. Process is:

1. Reboot into DIY eGPU 1.3 Setup

2. Set settings

3. Reboot

4. Boot into windows

5. Install graphics drivers

6. Reboot and use setup.bat from DIY eGPU 1.3 menu.

7. It then shows menu "Windows 10" or "DIY eGPU 1.3" and selected Windows 10.

Parameters are holding: dGPU is definitely disabled.

Could it be an issue that I'm installing the GTX960 drivers when my computer has Optimus? Are there different drivers I should be installing?

Is this still relevant about error code 43?

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#error43_faq1

Some of the instructions are so old it's tough to know whether the more recent drivers have come to fix these issues.

Had no luck. The parts are fine, it's something in my config.

Following this thread the settings don't seem to stick. Process is:

1. Reboot into DIY eGPU 1.3 Setup

2. Set settings

3. Reboot

4. Boot into windows

5. Install graphics drivers

6. Reboot and use setup.bat from DIY eGPU 1.3 menu.

7. It then shows menu "Windows 10" or "DIY eGPU 1.3" and selected Windows 10.

Parameters are holding: dGPU is definitely disabled.

Could it be an issue that I'm installing the GTX960 drivers when my computer has Optimus? Are there different drivers I should be installing?

Error 43 can be due to eGPU initialization issues or drivers. If you have a NVidia dGPU then clear all driver remnants out and use "DDU" to clear registry.

If done that and still error 43 then double-check ALL your power to the video card. If hotplugging after boot use the delay sliders on your eGPU adapter instead.

If using a mPCIe eGPU then also refer to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/11393-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps.html

There is an existing W540 eGPU implementation using a PE4L 2.1b so the expresscard can be made to function. That was with a AMD and NVidia card: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/7388-15-lenovo-w540-r9_290x-gtx780ti%4010gbps-4gbps-sonnet-ee-se2-pe4l-2-1b-%5Bgothic860%5D.html#post101232

Hi nando. I tried everything there. I even posted on that thread but I had no response. Any other resources i can revert to? I don't know if my pe4l is faulty. The gpu is spinning, i see 1 yellow and 1 green light but nothing shows in device manager.

Back again! So I managed to get Windows 7 on my SL400 and managed to fix devices unrelated to this. However, since downgrading from Windows 10, my eGPU no longer autodetects in the express slot. I tried all the combinations you can try in the troubleshooting, but no avail. Any thoughts?

Laptop: SL400

IGPU: GM45

RAM: 4GB

EGPU: PNY GT 640 DDR3

EXP GDC BEAST

PSU: 90W Laptop Charger 12v

Edit: Also, just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone :D

Edit 2: Tested out the USB port of the EXP GDC, and the thumb drive does detect. Resource issue?

Edit 3: Tried it with Windows 8.1. No change. I'm kind of at a loss. Would DIY Setup 1.3 detect it?

Hi all!for those who still have core2duo and could not upgrade here is a Batllefield3 multiplayer gameplay done with my old Fujitsu-SIEMENS AmiloPI 3540 NOTEBOOK using a GTX650 1GB as egpu setup x1.1:

32 players server

64 player server

Spec:Processor core2duo T9900 3,06ghz

EGPU X1.1 GTX 650 1GB expresscard link

Ram 2x2gb ddr2 800mhz

Hdd Seagate 500gb 5400rpm

Windows 10 x64

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm using a MSI R9 270x Hawk on a vostro 3450 with igpu hd3000 and dgpu 6630m, the problem is after completing the setup diy (disable dgpu, allocate space) I couldn't boot into windows once I unplugged the egpu. Since I unplugged the Welcome screen immediately came up. Anyone got the same problems?

egpu tested with 750Ti with no problems but I wanna try r9 270x for better performance.

Hi Beer

Suggest to buy(donate )setup x1.3 from Tech Inferno Fan.saves me from the worse scenarios,especilay with windows 7,since the 8.1 and 10 act diferently with the grafics even alow to disable primary adapter,leaving their space for the egpu.think you have resource problem.anyway try dsdt override first.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Beer

Suggest to buy(donate )setup x1.3 from Tech Inferno Fan.saves me from the worse scenarios,especilay with windows 7,since the 8.1 and 10 act diferently with the grafics even alow to disable primary adapter,leaving their space for the egpu.think you have resource problem.anyway try dsdt override first.

Thanks for the response, Dan! That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure that I did some troubleshooting before shelling out more cash. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Edit: Stupid question: would a DSDT override even work even if the device manager doesn't even detect it at all? I get all the lights, fans, and usb ports going, my TOLUD is 3GB, is it still relevant?

Just to double-check:

eq4k4ZB.png

Possible problem children?

pnaHB0v.png

Edit 2: ^Forgot to mention that Port 3 is where I put my egpu in (expresscard). I guess I need an override after all?

Thanks for the response, Dan! That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure that I did some troubleshooting before shelling out more cash. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Edit: Stupid question: would a DSDT override even work even if the device manager doesn't even detect it at all? I get all the lights, fans, and usb ports going, my TOLUD is 3GB, is it still relevant?

Just to double-check:

eq4k4ZB.png

Possible problem children?

pnaHB0v.png

Edit 2: ^Forgot to mention that Port 3 is where I put my egpu in (expresscard). I guess I need an override after all?

dsdt override create a 36 bits space in the memory map wich is needed in some cases when the tolud is high to open the posibility for setup 1.3 to make succesful compactation in that space too if all intents in the 32bit failed and the posibility to use more ram in some system with high tolud.dsdt override may not be enough to detect your egpu without a succesfull compactation .

Back again! So I managed to get Windows 7 on my SL400 and managed to fix devices unrelated to this. However, since downgrading from Windows 10, my eGPU no longer autodetects in the express slot. I tried all the combinations you can try in the troubleshooting, but no avail. Any thoughts?

Laptop: SL400

IGPU: GM45

RAM: 4GB

EGPU: PNY GT 640 DDR3

EXP GDC BEAST

PSU: 90W Laptop Charger 12v

Edit: Also, just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone :D

Edit 2: Tested out the USB port of the EXP GDC, and the thumb drive does detect. Resource issue?

Edit 3: Tried it with Windows 8.1. No change. I'm kind of at a loss. Would DIY Setup 1.3 detect it?

Perhaps the OS downgrade is a coincidence and the eGPU hardware has failed? You could confirm by re-loading Win10 and seeing if the eGPU is still detected then.

The eGPU uses PCIe lines, the USB port is of course USB. Completely separate wiring so if the USB works it doesn't have much relevance as to the PCIe lines. PCIe runs at a much higher clock rate.

Perhaps the OS downgrade is a coincidence and the eGPU hardware has failed? You could confirm by re-loading Win10 and seeing if the eGPU is still detected then.

The eGPU uses PCIe lines, the USB port is of course USB. Completely separate wiring so if the USB works it doesn't have much relevance as to the PCIe lines. PCIe runs at a much higher clock rate.

Gotcha. I thought considering it was all in one board, it would work. I'll try again on Win10 around Tuesday or Wednesday and see where it goes. If it is the hardware, I'm still eligible for a replacement.

Edit: I think you're right about the egpu board being borked. Even Setup 1.3 couldn't detect it. Nothing is ever easy with me lol

i had similar problem. while using egpu on 510p. i have been using for 1 week and i reconnect egpu cable while pc is turned off. so now my device manager dont find external card. i ll try to fix this with remove whitelist :ambivalence:

Hi guys! i have %40 performance loss on my egpu system(with external monitor).Is it normal?(i heard about max %10 performance loss) If isn't, are there any ideas to increase my performance? Can i buy egpu software ?

My system

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 8GB RAM

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit

igpu: Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Egpu: Asus GeForce GTX 770

And my results : gpu score 6094 graphics score:6976 pyhsics score :7518 . It's normal score on 3dmark 11200

Gotcha. I thought considering it was all in one board, it would work. I'll try again on Win10 around Tuesday or Wednesday and see where it goes. If it is the hardware, I'm still eligible for a replacement.

Edit: I think you're right about the egpu board being borked. Even Setup 1.3 couldn't detect it. Nothing is ever easy with me lol

This can happen if you've been twisting the expresscard end of the eGPU adapter cable. Then the connecting wiring becomes frayed or disconnected and of course no signal goes through. Without signalling the eGPU adapter will never get detected.

Your EXP GDC V6 eGPU adapter which is OK for Gen1 purposes used on your SL400. However, if your contemplating ever using it on a Gen2 capable machine like a Lenovo L430/T430/T540p then you may consider getting a BPlus PE4C V3.0 instead. It's soldered cable giving more reliable operation and (imho) has better build quality.

This can happen if you've been twisting the expresscard end of the eGPU adapter cable. Then the connecting wiring becomes frayed or disconnected and of course no signal goes through. Without signalling the eGPU adapter will never get detected.

Your EXP GDC V6 eGPU adapter which is OK for Gen1 purposes used on your SL400. However, if your contemplating ever using it on a Gen2 capable machine like a Lenovo L430/T430/T540p then you may consider getting a BPlus PE4C V3.0 instead. It's soldered cable giving more reliable operation and (imho) has better build quality.

Yeah my cable does feel a bit dinged up. Aside from the expresscard tip, I barely touched the base of it, which makes it weirder.

But yeah, I'm going to be stuck on Gen1 for a while unless I get a good deal. My SL400 is mostly for showing off to see what old hardware can do. I'll use it until nothing runs on it anymore haha

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.