eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hello. I'm using a Lenovo laptop. I've been successful in implementing my egpu setup using the express card and pe4c. Now my question is this : are there any optimizations and increasing the band with? Could I use the x2 port and route that to the mpcie for extra bandwidth?

Which Lenovo model do you have?

Hi my name is Damian from Argentina, and I´m new in the forum, and I have very little experience(almost nothing) in this.

This are my spects:

Dell Latitude E6430

Windows 7 64 bits

Nvidia NVS 5200M

8 Gb RAM

I´ve recently buy a GTX 960 Strix 4 gb, and i´m getting the error 12

My question is, Is the only way to fix it, buy the setup 1.x? Because I´ve already spent to much money, and right now, havent that money.

I´ve already (I think is okay) do the DSDT Override but, i dont know what else to do.

Thank you and regards from Argentina

Hi my name is Damian from Argentina, and I´m new in the forum, and I have very little experience(almost nothing) in this.

This are my spects:

Dell Latitude E6430

Windows 7 64 bits

Nvidia NVS 5200M

8 Gb RAM

I´ve recently buy a GTX 960 Strix 4 gb, and i´m getting the error 12

My question is, Is the only way to fix it, buy the setup 1.x? Because I´ve already spent to much money, and right now, havent that money.

I´ve already (I think is okay) do the DSDT Override but, i dont know what else to do.

Thank you and regards from Argentina

T510. Thanks for your response

Yes, it's possible, but it's necessary that your two ports (expresscard and mPCIE) are odd numbered. Open up a software tool such as AIDA64 and look which port numbers those two have.Anyway, in the first page of this thread you may find more information. There's also a chart, in which you can search if there are other T510 implementations.

Yes, it's possible, but it's necessary that your two ports (expresscard and mPCIE) are odd numbered. Open up a software tool such as AIDA64 and look which port numbers those two have.Anyway, in the first page of this thread you may find more information. There's also a chart, in which you can search if there are other T510 implementations.

I tried to search but I couldn't find anything on my brand of laptop. I also looked at the first page but it's a little overwhelming and I'm not sure if I overlooked it or not. is it just a simple as connecting the mpcie adapter to the laptop as well as the expresscard? And into pe4cs x1+x2 ports respectively?

I tried to search but I couldn't find anything on my brand of laptop. I also looked at the first page but it's a little overwhelming and I'm not sure if I overlooked it or not. is it just a simple as connecting the mpcie adapter to the laptop as well as the expresscard? And into pe4cs x1+x2 ports respectively?

noric probably meant this thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html

It's not the first page of this thread here though.

If you search for T510 with ctrl+f you'll find one occurrence in the list of implementations which points to a EC x1.1 2 Gbps implementation and the second occurrence shows a text which states that your notebook is actually capable of using both EC + mPCIe to achieve x2.1 4 Gbps connection.

noric probably meant this thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html

It's not the first page of this thread here though.

If you search for T510 with ctrl+f you'll find one occurrence in the list of implementations which points to a EC x1.1 2 Gbps implementation and the second occurrence shows a text which states that your notebook is actually capable of using both EC + mPCIe to achieve x2.1 4 Gbps connection.

i tried to use to both connections yesterday. The mpcie is actually underneath the keyboard which is a little annoying. For whatever reason, the atx power supply and graphics card power up and stay on regardless of whether there laptop is on, or off. And when I boot with both connected ( mpcie and EC), nothing happens but a black screen. Not sure if this is the place but have you any clue? The same thing happens with just the mpcie connected. The egpu setup Powers regardless as to whether the computer the computer is on or off. I also have a tiny computer which has a mpcie connection as well in the same exact thing happens as long as there's power going to the computer

The same thing happens with just the mpcie connected.

Just wait for Nando4 to be sure (he's THE man :D), but I'm quite sure you are facing the well-known whitelist problem of Lenovo bioses. If that's the case, I think there are two solutions: either hotplugging the mPCIe connector after the bios post (not advised really), or flashing a modded bios with no whitelist (advised).

But again, wait for Nando.

Just wait for Nando4 to be sure (he's THE man :D), but I'm quite sure you are facing the well-known whitelist problem of Lenovo bioses. If that's the case, I think there are two solutions: either hotplugging the mPCIe connector after the bios post (not advised really), or flashing a modded bios with no whitelist (advised).

But again, wait for Nando.

I've been trying to get help but to no avail . I also have a modified bios which bypasses the whitelist problems on both laptops . With that laptop egpu runs ok, but just as good as express card. It seems there are problems with the mpcie connections under keyboards and stuff. I seem to not have any problems with the connectors near the ram underneath the laptop but the laptop I'm tryna get working only has expresscard and mpcie underneath keyboard

I've been trying to get help but to no avail . I also have a modified bios which bypasses the whitelist problems on my other laptop . With that laptop egpu runs ok, but just as good as express card.

Just be patient and wait some time. He's probably busy, but in the end he always comes back to answer.

Yes, mPCIe and expresscard are the same, performance-wise. They both rely on the PCIe 1.0 bus (=2,5Gb/s).

I guess you'd need to search for a modded bios with whitelist removal. It should be easy to find it for your T510.

- - - Updated - - -

I seem to not have any problems with the connectors near the ram underneath the laptop but the laptop I'm tryna get working only has expresscard and mpcie underneath keyboard

And remember, if I'm not mistaken, that not every mPCIe port can be used for a x2 1.0 setup. It needs to be an odd numbered port and it must be contiguous to the expresscard port number: e.g. 1-3, 3-5, 5-7. Or something like that.

Just be patient and wait some time. He's probably busy, but in the end he always comes back to answer.

Yes, mPCIe and expresscard are the same, performance-wise. They both rely on the PCIe 1.0 bus (=2,5Gb/s).

I guess you'd need to search for a modded bios with whitelist removal. It should be easy to find it for your T510.

I already have have modded bios for t510. I just wonder why when it comes to mpcie connections under neath the keyboards in some laptops, the egpu automatically powers on and stays on without me actually turning on the computer unless I unplug it. Same thing happens with my mini desktop computer it also has a mpcie connection on board. Again, I do not have this problem on my other laptop which has the mpcie connection underneath the laptop where you install ram at. If it helps I also have egpu setup but never needed to use it

I already have have modded bios for t510. I just wonder why when it comes to mpcie connections under neath the keyboards in some laptops, the egpu automatically powers on and stays on without me actually turning on the computer unless I unplug it. Same thing happens with my mini desktop computer it also has a mpcie connection on board. Again, I do not have this problem on my other laptop which has the mpcie connection underneath the laptop where you install ram at. If it helps I also have egpu setup but never needed to use it

Your black screen problem when powering on is probably because the BIOS gets stuck not knowing what to do with the eGPU upon detecting it. The solution there is to delay the eGPU assertion until after BIOS has done it's thing by either hotplugging it after boot OR using delay switches on the eGPU adapter. On some Lenovo systems, disconnecting the external eGPU display has also allowed the system to boot with eGPU attached.

Your black screen problem when powering on is probably because the BIOS gets stuck not knowing what to do with the eGPU upon detecting it. The solution there is to delay the eGPU assertion until after BIOS has done it's thing by either hotplugging it after boot OR using delay switches on the eGPU adapter. On some Lenovo systems, disconnecting the external eGPU display has also allowed the system to boot with eGPU attached.

I'll give it a go. Have you any idea of the power problem?

I'll give it a go. Have you any idea of the power problem?

PE4C has power management. It's supposed to turn on the PSU only after detecting 3.3V coming in from the notebook's mPCIe/EC slot.

However, I too found that the power management stopped working on my PE4C 2.1 after several hotplugging attempts.

Seems that part of the circuit gets damaged during that process. Something I've advised BPlus about.

I'd suggest take the issue up with BPlus to perhaps get a replacement adapter for your faulty one.

PE4C V3.0 has been released. Recommended for Gen2 capable machines however it's not capable of a x2 connection.

PE4C has power management. It's supposed to turn on the PSU only after detecting 3.3V coming in from the notebook's mPCIe/EC slot.

However, I too found that the power management stopped working on my PE4C 2.1 after several hotplugging attempts.

Seems that part of the circuit gets damaged during that process. Something I've advised BPlus about.

I'd suggest take the issue up with BPlus to perhaps get a replacement adapter for your faulty one.

PE4C V3.0 has been released. Recommended for Gen2 capable machines however it's not capable of a x2 connection.

would The power management issue still be a problem if the express card powers on properly when computer powers on? The mpcie connection underneath my laptop where the wifi card was works as normal, it only happens in my mini desktop as well as my other laptop where the mpcie is on the motherboard and underneath the keyboard respectively

If you need to do the sleep/resume trick after booting with wifi card, then you have a whitelisting issue.

Thanks for your reply.I finally managed to get the eGPU detected in Setup 1.3 and in the desktop thanks to hotplugging - however I still have the error 12. I've tried all your solutions listed here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#error12_faq1 , but the only one that works for me is to limit my RAM to under 4gb.

I was hoping that now I got my eGPU recognized in Setup 1.3, that I can now try PCI compaction to solve my issue. But the only compaction scenario that works is the last one (I want to say END 64bit? I forget the exact name :P), however at the very end where the program is refreshing the status window I always get an "error from reading from Drive C" error, with the options to Abort, Ignore, Retry, or Fail - but no matter what I pick I just get the same error over and over again. I've tried limiting the scope, but that doesn't help. Any thoughts and a way to fix this, or another way to fix the error 12 that's not listed on the link above? I've even tried a DSDT fix and everything worked smoothly (I see the large memory allocation in Device Manager), but in Setup 1.3 I see "DSDT: no" and the GPU never never seems to get allocated into the large memory space when I hot-plug it. Thanks!

I was hoping that now I got my eGPU recognized in Setup 1.3, that I can now try PCI compaction to solve my issue. But the only compaction scenario that works is the last one (I want to say END 64bit? I forget the exact name :P), however at the very end where the program is refreshing the status window I always get an "error from reading from Drive C" error, with the options to Abort, Ignore, Retry, or Fail - but no matter what I pick I just get the same error over and over again. I've tried limiting the scope, but that doesn't help. Any thoughts and a way to fix this, or another way to fix the error 12 that's not listed on the link above? I've even tried a DSDT fix and everything worked smoothly (I see the large memory allocation in Device Manager), but in Setup 1.3 I see "DSDT: no" and the GPU never never seems to get allocated into the large memory space when I hot-plug it. Thanks!

Set closeunusedbridges and try pci compaction again. If have more issues then pls email me.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how to install the software , Who Can Help me please ?

What software are you talking about?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, I have a problem with an eGPU set up. I did everything right but in device manager i'm getting error 35. Do you now how to fix it?

MacBook Pro Retina 650m

GTX 980

OSX 10.9

Windows 8.1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.