eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

No such luck. Same errors I was receiving before hand.

Can allocate no problem but will not boot correctly with Gen 2 speed set. Is this because I have a USB 3.0 on my laptop. I read that it is taken from the southbridge which could explain why it will not relocate correctly

Hello everyone I run driving DSDT for avero space 36bit setup on 1.3, but on the management device, you and I do not add anything when I restart the notebook I'm forced to reset the restart because problems do not understand what I did wrong I have done everything to letter, I would like to have more power on the band to operate better egpu (GTX 970)

thanks to all

Hi,

I have two questions which are still unsolved in the German forum.

1) Is a Quadro 2000 for eGPU supported by Optimus? It has a Fermi Chip and he used the latest driver of the Quadro but Optimus seems to be not activated. Probably the driver is too old and doesn't have Optimus yet included?

2) Another user has a Samsung NP350V5C-A0E and he was already able to establish a connection over mPCIe. He has a Intel HD as iGPU and already deactivated the AMD dGPU with Setup 1.x. The TOLUD is 3,0GB. He is using Win 8.1 (GPT) and was forced to use an USB-Stick for Setup 1.x. He deactivated also Secure Boot and switched to "UEFI and Legacy OS".

Setup 1.x Screen #1, Screen #2

Chainloading by mbr leads to this, with gpt to this.

No such luck. Same errors I was receiving before hand.

Can allocate no problem but will not boot correctly with Gen 2 speed set. Is this because I have a USB 3.0 on my laptop. I read that it is taken from the southbridge which could explain why it will not relocate correctly

working on issue

Hello everyone I run driving DSDT for avero space 36bit setup on 1.3, but on the management device, you and I do not add anything when I restart the notebook I'm forced to reset the restart because problems do not understand what I did wrong I have done everything to letter, I would like to have more power on the band to operate better egpu (GTX 970)

thanks to all

Can you please rephrase your question? I can not understand what it is you wish to do.

Another user has a Samsung NP350V5C-A0E and he was already able to establish a connection over mPCIe. He has a Intel HD as iGPU and already deactivated the AMD dGPU with Setup 1.x. The TOLUD is 3,0GB. He is using Win 8.1 (GPT) and was forced to use an USB-Stick for Setup 1.x. He deactivated also Secure Boot and switched to "UEFI and Legacy OS".

Setup 1.x Screen #1, Screen #2

Chainloading by mbr leads to this, with gpt to this.

Please ask your user to contact me directly here for Setup 1.30 use to resolve the problem.

Rumored Jan-22 release of Nvidia GTX960 series -> AKiTiO Thunder2 users note

GTX960Ti rumored to have 1536 cores and a US$250-$275 pricepoint. Very attractive when you consider the GTX970 has 1664 cores (+8.3%) and starts at US$320 (+16% to 28%).

See discussion at Newest GTX 960 rumor: Jan 22 launch, three variants - NeoGAF

Some speculate the 1536 core GTX960Ti could start at US$250. A pricepoint which would see it be the volume seller for NVidia.

Performance reference being:

960 Ti = GTX 780

960 = Between GTX 770 – 780

950 Ti = GTX 760>

Of particularly interest to AKiTiO Thunder2 owners wanting a card that fits straight into the chassis. Currently the GTX750Ti is too underpowered and the GTX970 are overpowered and pricey. A small/ITX GTX960/960Ti would be ideal.

EDIT: Suspect EVGA have released a GTX960/960Ti teaser at https://www.facebook.com/TEAMEVGA/photos/a.10150300503152838.360248.82461182837/10152988081807838/?type=1. Single slot. Wow!

10421160_10152988081807838_6827587896847366749_n.jpg?oh=cf8a6912fa1d74c2b35e5907751fb12c&oe=556ED423&__gda__=1428803286_37f998ab9be8e99f1152d1b524995d1b

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry if I expressed myself badly, I did the driving DSDT, using (DSDT EDITOR), but after the last step, there was written "succesfully completed" on prompt commands, then I went to check on management device if I had created large memory space, but no and then I restarted Windows, but it didn't start, so I had to do a hard repair. When it started I went to check again on the device manager and still nothing. I do not understand why I can't create it. I followed all steps without skipping one.

With endpoint setted in 4:00 gb I reached 3DMark11 10860 on the internal display, and 12270 on the external one. I think that if I can successfully conclude this DSDT guide, I could achieve a better result by setting endpoint 52.xxgb.

Windows 7 64-bit

I7 4700hq

8 ram

IGPU = hd 4600

dgpu = Gtx 860m

eGPU = Gtx 970 (PC4E 2.1) mpcie

Thank You

Sorry if I expressed myself badly, I did the driving DSDT, using (DSDT EDITOR), but after the last step, there was written "succesfully completed" on prompt commands, then I went to check on management device if I had created large memory space, but no and then I restarted Windows, but it didn't start, so I had to do a hard repair. When it started I went to check again on the device manager and still nothing. I do not understand why I can't create it. I followed all steps without skipping one.

With endpoint setted in 4:00 gb I reached 3DMark11 10860 on the internal display, and 12270 on the external one. I think that if I can successfully conclude this DSDT guide, I could achieve a better result by setting endpoint 52.xxgb.

Windows 7 64-bit

I7 4700hq

8 ram

IGPU = hd 4600

dgpu = Gtx 860m

eGPU = Gtx 970 (PC4E 2.1) mpcie

Thank You

The only time you need to allocate the eGPU to 36-bit space is when TOLUD is so high that the eGPU cannot be allocated to 32-bit space. From the sounds of it, you have a functional eGPU without needing to do that.

I believe you have a MSI GE60 for which no existing implementation guide exists. Would you mind submitting one so others with the same system could leverage your pioneering work? There are plenty of existing examples in Implementation Guides . Ideally your guide would list the parts used, the system details (RAM, CPU, OS), 3dmark11/13/06 benchmark results on an *external LCD*, and some pics to bring it all to life.

Thank you

I thought that by doing so, I would have reached an higher speed. So, does it dipend only by changing from gen1 to gen2 to have 5gbts? I thought that endpoint would have change in that sense. I'll try to do a guide as clear as possible, my pleasure.

Thank you

I thought that by doing so, I would have reached an higher speed. So, does it dipend only by changing from gen1 to gen2 to have 5gbts? I thought that endpoint would have change in that sense. I'll try to do a guide as clear as possible, my pleasure.

Thank you

In your case the best performance is obtained when running a Gen2 link and with the dGPU off. That gains you 4Gbps+c performance (previous x1.2Opt). That is expresscard set to Gen2-5Gbps, 10B/8B encoding dropping that down to 4Gbps raw data rate + NVidia's x1 pci-e compression + accelerated internal LCD mode. No need for a DSDT override if both your iGPU and eGPU are allocated and working in Device Manager.

Yes, your first ever guide for a eGPU attached to a MSI GE60 would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I take this opportunity and ask for my last doubt. Why my card isn't detected when I put it on the msata port? I've a PC4E 2.1(mpcie). Thanks

mSATA port uses SATA instead of PCIe for the data transmission. Only way it would work as either is if MSI chose a port that supports multiplexing of the PCIe and SATA lines. That would be PCIe1/SATA4 or PCIe2/SATA5 as per http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6882-series-8-flexible-usb3-pcie-sata-pcie-i-o-some-more-x2-2-0-possibility.html#post94382 .

Since attaching your eGPU to that port doesn't see it registered we can assume that either they've chosen a non-multiplexed port OR configured the BIOS to not multiplex a port that has the potential to allow multiplexing.

Would require further research on your part by mapping out the SATA and PCIe ports to know what is the deal there.

I was searching a bit but couldn't find anything about this, my google fu is not doing well lately so if this is a stupid idea please tell me.

I was planning on shelling out on a GTX970m laptop but always had the dream of setting up a perfect eGPU setup, then I saw the laptop i wanted to buy had a M.2 PCI-Express x4 (16gbps!) slot aboard. And my mind went racing, what if i just link that to a gpu?

So i found this

P4SM2 (PCIe x4 to M.2 NGFF adapter) - M-FACTORS Storage

Then just link that to one of these

PCI E Express Extension Cable Flex Ribbon 4X to 16x Extender Riser Card Adapter | eBay

And im done? for around 70 dollar?

Am i missing something?

Edit: Except the fact i hardly need a eGPU if i buy that GTX970m laptop (pci-e to mxm sli config maybe?)

and i found a list of laptops with a M.2 type M slot that should just be pci-e compatible and not only sata. I includes the Clevo i want to buy

80mm PCI-e M.2 NGFF (2280)

Notebooks/Devices

Sager NP8651 / Clevo P650SE

SONY VAIO Pro 13 (bootable)

So also a Via 13 pro, would make more sense in that but still not a perfect target.

Hi everyone!

I finally set up an eGPU (PNY GTX 970), and when connected to the thunderbolt port, the fans spun up. When I looked it the device manager, the egpu did not show up. I am currently using an Asus ROG G750JM, connected to a ThunderTek adapter. The egpu is plugged into a Corsair CX 600w psu. Does anyone know a solution to this problem. I am currently on Windows 8.1 with 24 gb of ram.

New to this forum and new to eGPU's in general. I think I'm posting this in the right place. I need some help with this.

I have an ASUS G75VW-AS71. (Ivy Bridge quad-core i7-3610QM, GTX 660M, 16 GB DDR3, Windows 7 HP)

I've looked around a bit, and I think I have a basic idea of what I want to do.

My G75VW has a 10Gbps Thunderbolt 1 port, and I think that would probably be the best interface to use.

I've also heard of some users having to circumvent an Error 12, and would like to avoid it if possible.

So, I have some questions.

1. Would TB1 be the best interface to use?

2. How would I go about avoiding this Error 12, and if I cannot, how do I deal with it?

3. What PCIe adapter should I use?

4. Is there anything else I should know?

New to this forum and new to eGPU's in general. I think I'm posting this in the right place. I need some help with this.

I have an ASUS G75VW-AS71. (Ivy Bridge quad-core i7-3610QM, GTX 660M, 16 GB DDR3, Windows 7 HP)

I've looked around a bit, and I think I have a basic idea of what I want to do.

My G75VW has a 10Gbps Thunderbolt 1 port (Update: probably just a mini-displayport), and I think that would probably be the best interface to use.

I've also heard of some users having to circumvent an Error 12, and would like to avoid it if possible.

So, I have some questions.

1. Would TB1 be the best interface to use? (Update: since this appears to be a mini-displayport, and not a TB1 port, how well would USB3 work?)

2. How would I go about avoiding this Error 12, and if I cannot, how do I deal with it?

3. What PCIe adapter should I use?

4. Is there anything else I should know?

5. Since the alleged TB1 port is actually probably not a TB1 port, how well would USB3 work? Are there any USB3 PCIe adapters?

Update: This appears to have been a similar situation: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6723-[guide][email protected]

In this post, similarly to my goal, an ASUS ROG G-series laptop with 10 Gbps Thunderbolt 1 (Update: probably just a mini-displayport) was used to power an NVIDIA GPU.

This appears to be very similar to my situation, other than that I'm running Windows 7. Should I just follow this? Is there anything else I should do or try?

Update: Specs, etc.:

Here's a self-made diagram of all the parts visible and accessible after opening the one-screw user-accessible bottom panel:

Other parts would likely be accessible after removing more screws.

kNLBBUC.png

I/O:

DVD/CD burner

4x USB 3.0

1x Thunderbolt (Actually probably just a mini-displayport. :/)

1x HDMI

1x VGA

1x Ethernet port

@Mocha_Bean

If you follow my signature you might find some interesting stuff in there, for instance how to see if it's TB or not ( I just went to an Apple store and tested my G46VW on a TB-display).

Thanks; might try something similar. The nearest Apple store is about ~80 miles away, but I might be able to try something of the sort.

My eGPU had been working fantastically for quite a while when i decided to try out the fast start up option for windows, thats when things got screwed up.

After that the eGPU would no longer detect so i turned fast start off and it WOULD detect however only the hdmi output worked, the DVI - D output would not display.

Any ideas on a fix?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.