eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

HP 530 has only a PCIe 1.1 2.5Gbps mPCIe slot (2Gbps after overhead).

Best value eGPU adapter is a Gen2-capable US$50 EXP GDC V6 from banggood http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/6643-exp-gdc-v6-v7-discussion.html#post88642

Your platform has Optimus driver support ending as of NVidia driver 306.97WHQL (~GTX680 max): http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql-3.html#post89243 . You may consider getting a 4Gbps capable EC-equipped Sandy Bridge or newer notebook instead to get easier eGPU connectivty, faster performance, plus newer NVidia drivers with better performance and more video card support. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57511

Hey thx for the previous answer ! i have got one more question : => i have a i5 3210m what can i put with this cpu ? i don't know wich gpu take caus i don't know if the cpu could run it ! if someone could tell me wich card will be good or not .. Thx

Hi, i want to ask a few questions about eGPU for my laptop.

Here's the detail:

Samsung 535u4x

8gb ram

a8 4555m 1.6ghz

Display VGA Dual Graphics with 1GB gDDR3 Graphic Memory

win 7 64bit

PE4L pm060a ver 2.1 (mPCIe)

PSU 500w

HIS Radeon R7 250 1gb ddr5

i've tried to plug in the PE4L mpcie cable to laptop wifi card slot before boot up the windows. When i was booting up the laptop went BSOD (atikmpag.sys error, i've already check this error it was a driver error from amd).And i've tried the hotplug too (sleep mode the laptop, turn on the egpu, plug in the cable, resume my windows) and when i check on device manager, it wont scan my ext VGA.

Here's the screenshot :http://i59.tinypic.com/nxw2ub.jpg

Tried to switch SW 1 and SW 2 repeatedly it's still doesn't works

My questions:

1. Did i miss something like setup 1.xx (as Tech Inferno Fan said) should installed to fix this?

2. was the Radeon R7 250 supported to do an eGPU?

I've seen many peoples were succeeded to run eGPU with Radeon HD not the R series, maybe the vga was supported only on pc desktop

Dell Precision M6600 (dGPU Firepro M6100) + eGPU Radeon 6570DSDT Override was needed, Hot Plugging the card once i load up DIY eGPU Setup, 36bit compaction on eGPU + dGPU, 32bit on none, load windows and the profit :)Pictures in this galleryOk, forum is not letting me format any changes.

Thank you very much!

I don't use my laptop as a portable one any more. Also it is standing on one book for better cooling, which will facilitate plugging to the mPCIe. I saw mPCIe extender in the form of narrow and wide cable somewhere here. I don't know whether it has good enough screening but it should be more convenient.

About the EXP GDC V6. From your link I find about possible "faulty mPCIe/EC cables". Don't want to risk now. The PE4C V1.2 has ATX 24-pin slot to conveniently turn on PSU, supports Linux and seems to be better in avoiding registration problems when booting. It is only $18 more expensive. Just want to be sure first that I don't need to solder the cable to the 2 units.

Also I have to note that I have Windows XP SP3. I saw confirmations that an eGPU can be recognized in WinXP. One may need to log out and then log in for this. But Optimus may not work albeit nVidia still release drivers for WinXP. I'll try Ultramon if fail with Optimus, or will try installed Linux or plug in external monitor. Win 7 or 8 will hardly ever be installed. First I should better upgrade HDD. And I have GMA950, not a HD iGPU. I haven't got whether Optimus is possible in this case but with smaller performance.

I have plans to buy a new laptop but that will be later. Now I would like to have temporary solution. Also the new laptop can have troubles which the current one will not have. So there are several reasons to try eGPU on the current laptop too. And as you mentioned, newer nVidia drivers can have no Optimus support.

And again about bandwidth. I didn't take into account bitmapped textures (compressed afaik) if they are loaded frequently. Don't recall about other informationally consumptive ingredients. Then transfer to the eGPU becomes comparable with transfer from the GPU (if used). But if I reduce resolution I have good chance to play a game with high or low details but the eGPU will work. Is there a known case when a game could be played with 25+ fps on eGPU because of low bandwidth of mPCIe v1? So "unsupported" videocards may be unsupported only relatively (but still be able to reveal better performance) if I understand everything correctly. I am also curious about eGPUs perspective as they are so convenient.

Update: Here is the source, where GPU switching in WInXP is said to be possible by mean log off/on. At the beginning I though that will be enough to disable iGPU in Device Manager. WinXP may be not smart enough. By the way, since some moment, if I am not wrong, there appeared the copy of IGPU. Also I have 3 monitors in Device Manager...

hi guys, just bought myself a dock and psu along with a gts 450 for my X200 P8600 with 3gb RAM (it was 4 but all the chat suggests 4gb is more hassle than it is worth).I was only able to get it all to work after flashing to the latest bios since doing that it loads the card through the TV/HDMI socket it wont display through the laptop and when it does load it does so at the expense of the internal intel graphics which cease to appear in device manager.I have tried plugging in the dock after the bios screen appears which causes a error 12 to appear over both. When I benchmarked with single display I only get a 3dmark 06 score of 4k, is this an indication of the optimus technology being disabled and if so how can I enable it? I puprosely built this to replace my Dell L502X which returns a score of 8k on 3dmark.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have some questions about the Setup 1.3 that I'd like to have answered.

Can you change the countdown time in the setup 1.3 menu (the one where you select the automated startup/menu/console)?

Is it possible to auto-boot all the way to windows 8.1 through setup 1.3? Like could you set boot default to setup 1.3 then chainload to windows 8.1 manually or do you still have to manually select windows 8.1 after chainloading?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to join the community after skimming the website for a couple of weeks and plan on making an eGPU setup for the next 2-3 months and want to ask for a few questions.

((((((((I have a Win 8.1(64bit) )))))))))) additional info

I want to ask if where can I buy a pcie X16 adapter with a free setup 1.30 or setup 1.x or whatevs XD.

I cant seem to find this website "Harmonic Inversion Technology" (HIT) I only see ads and it looks like their website is down.

I want to do this so I cant make much of a hassle with a friend because Im asking him to buy this online and I dont want him to buy again Its too much of a hassle

( ITS COMPLICATED SORRY)

(Just think of me as I am low on budget)

Thanks for any reply :)

Setup 1.3 has to be bought separately. Previously it was free for everyone but companies abused the TOU so it now costs money. If you are using win 8.1 and have a PC with uefi or a Mac I can help you parse your partition to efi which makes egpus nearly plugnplay

If you are using win 8.1 and have a PC with uefi or a Mac I can help you parse your partition to efi which makes egpus nearly plugnplay

Not the guy you were talking to, but I'm curious how using UEFI would affect plugnplay-edness

Not the guy you were talking to, but I'm curious how using UEFI would affect plugnplay-edness

Win8.1 UEFI install often resolving error 12 issues in Macbooks and HP Elitebooks. HP Elitebooks also gaining hotplug capability when moving from a MBR (BIOS) to UEFI install.

Likely reason for this is during bootup, the firmware UEFI framework does a more comprehensive PCIe device configuration than when a legacy boot it used.

Hello everyone.

It seems to me after spending countless hours that i have to buy set up 1.30 for all this to work.

I that true?

No its not hours mate just read and follow the instructions given to you by Tech Inferno Fan, if you are able to understand the whole concept of it, in no time your setup will be up and running

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No its not hours mate just read and follow the instructions given to you by Tech Inferno Fan, if you are able to understand the whole concept of it, in no time your setup will be up and running

I guess I can't figure it out[emoji25]. Maybe someone could throw in help please.

I guess I can't figure it out[emoji25]. Maybe someone could throw in help please.

Just post your difficulty here with you error logs and mention Tech Inferno Fan for sure he will chime in right away or send him a PM

Can anyone please tell if I do set up 1.30 or whatever, will I need to do anything else?

Please follow template at How to ask help efficiently? in presenting your problem.

So far we know you have a GTX760, are seeing an error 42 and having problems getting the internal LCD mode to work. No other detail on what hardware you are working with makes it difficult to give an response to your questions.

Please follow template at How to ask help efficiently? in presenting your problem.

So far we know you have a GTX760, are seeing an error 42 and having problems getting the internal LCD mode to work. No other detail on what hardware you are working with makes it difficult to give an response to your questions.

I am apologizing.

I have HP DV7t-7000 quad edition

I7-3610mq

With Nvidea GT650M

8 GB of RAM

MSI HAWK GTX 760 2GB

*PE4H-PM3N*

As I sad I would like to make a set up where I would be able to use my laptop screen.

I am apologizing.

I have HP DV7t-7000 quad edition

I7-3610mq

With Nvidea GT650M

8 GB of RAM

MSI HAWK GTX 760 2GB

*PE4H-PM3N*

As I sad I would like to make a set up where I would be able to use my laptop screen.

Accelerated internal LCD mode will not activate unless you have an active primary Intel iGPU AND you've disabled the GT650M. The latter often done by modified BIOS or using Setup 1.30

Also, PE4H 2.4 has had problems maintaining a Gen2 link on many platforms. It's therefore only listed as a Gen1 capable device and requires the hosting port to be forced to run at Gen1 speed. If your BIOS sets it to the default of Gen2 then you may an unreliable link under load with frequent driver stopping/starting, or even just a failure starting the driver. You can force your mPCIe slot to run at Gen1 speed using Setup 1.30.

I would definitely recommend to use a powered riser! As my power consumtion tests have shown, the AKiTiO PSU might be used beyond it specs.

The Optimus "problem" might refer to my too much testing and playing with settings. Will reinstal Windows 8.1 when I get my GTX 970 back (had to send it back because of coil noise problems under load). I am pretty sure it will work again, as many people (including me) had it working.

Hi@all,

i also consider to setup and assemble an eGPU solution. But I am still wondering about the advantage of optimus enabled:

Is it "just" the use of the external eGPU in connection with the main (built in) screen - or will it also boost the performance? Afaik the optimus technology will drop the performance. Regarding the mobility aspects of an eGPU solution optimus would be great but than i have to deal with less performance - right?

@Dschijn: it is probably to naive to mentioned it but maybe a PRAM-Reset (alt+cmd+p+r pressed while rebooting) could help?

Hi,

I followed every single step of this article, but my laptop,HP 2570p, failed to overcome error 12 as you con see below.

post-28294-14494998586376_thumb.png

I didn't get the errors while doing "5. Create a dsdt.aml file with the 'iasl -oa dsdt.dsl' compiler directive. " this part.

Any idea for solving this problem? Now, my system uses i7-3820QM, 8gb + 4gb ram, gigabyte GTX 970 windforce UDV OC, pe4l 2.1b, x2 pcie, 0 delay.

Thanks,

JJ Lee

post-28294-14494998586102_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.