eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I've got a question.

And while there are currently in the German forum two people who have a problem with their TOLUD. One is a Lenovo T530 and a HP Probook 6570b, both with Win 8.1 64bit, and both have the problem that show their GPU's error 12.

So one knows if it's a Problem of Win 8.1 64bit? :59:

So...

I bought a new 203w xbox psu. I soldered the floppy and the molex conncectors to the psu. Then, i tryed a lot of benchmarks and games, and everything is work fine!!No blue screen..:)

All in all, The psu caused the problem....

Thank you!

Wow, that went fast, good job dude!

I'm very glad that I could help you.

There's 20Gbps aggregate for the TB<->TB controller link. Though max through any single pci-e card is 16Gbps (x4 2.0). So for eGPU purposes TB2 is a 60% bandwidth increase over TB1 (10Gbps->16Gbps). An important detail that appears missing in the product literature.

Low price/performance ratio. Can't see gamers replacing their gaming desktop with one of these. Handy as it also ensures Intel's core CPU business isn't intruded upon by pluggable CUDA/OpenCL eGPU processing.

Looks like the Express III might do a little better than 4x PCIe...

post-19319-14494997014663_thumb.jpg

Here's the SE II for comparison...post-19319-14494997015069_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got a question.

And while there are currently in the German forum two people who have a problem with their TOLUD. One is a Lenovo T530 and a HP Probook 6570b, both with Win 8.1 64bit, and both have the problem that show their GPU's error 12.

So one knows if it's a Problem of Win 8.1 64bit? :59:

I'm running Win 8.1 64bit with no issue. I have to perform a DSDT override and PCI compation for it to work, but it does. I have a Fujitsu T901, I'm not sure about other units since it can vary from unit to unit - some are very finicky.

I'm running Win 8.1 64bit with no issue. I have to perform a DSDT override and PCI compation for it to work, but it does. I have a Fujitsu T901, I'm not sure about other units since it can vary from unit to unit - some are very finicky.

Ok, then I'll pass on that. Maybe even help more information about the systems.

One is a Lenovo T530:

i7-3520M

HD4000, no dGPU

8GB RAM

Windows 8.1 64bit

I know that Lenovo shloud have no problems with TOLUD.

And a HP Probook 6570b with:

Windows 8.1 x64

I7-3740qm

Intel HD4000, no dGPU

8GB DDR3-1600

UEFI-Hybrid(CSM)

BF200000 -> TOLUD

If that should help, for helping them...

Ok, then I'll pass on that. Maybe even help more information about the systems.

One is a Lenovo T530:

i7-3520M

HD4000, no dGPU

8GB RAM

Windows 8.1 64bit

I know that Lenovo shloud have no problems with TOLUD.

Hey guys, i'm the one with the T530 and TOLUD problems.

My latest try:

I used this howto (http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-28.html#post31421). My TOLUD value is 0xFED40000 ~ 4GB.

My DSDT table starts at 0xDAFE9000. I installed Setup 1.3a. With 'iasl -g' I created the dsl file and edited it with the QWordMemory entry. 'iasl file.dsl' complied without errors and i got the dsdt.aml file. I rebooted into Setup 1.3 selected 'Start Setup 1.x with command prompt' and executed "pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE9000 dsdt.aml" - no errors. After that, with F10 I started the menu-based Setup and selected the "PCI 36-bit PCI compaction" on the eGPU and the "Force 32bit" on the iGPU. Till here it worked flawlessly. With a chainboot into Win8.1, I get a BSoD or my notebook just restarts.

Any further ideas? :/

Hey guys, i'm the one with the T530 and TOLUD problems.

My latest try:

I used this howto (http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-28.html#post31421). My TOLUD value is 0xFED40000 ~ 4GB.

My DSDT table starts at 0xDAFE9000. I installed Setup 1.3a. With 'iasl -g' I created the dsl file and edited it with the QWordMemory entry. 'iasl file.dsl' complied without errors and i got the dsdt.aml file. I rebooted into Setup 1.3 selected 'Start Setup 1.x with command prompt' and executed "pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE9000 dsdt.aml" - no errors. After that, with F10 I started the menu-based Setup and selected the "PCI 36-bit PCI compaction" on the eGPU and the "Force 32bit" on the iGPU. Till here it worked flawlessly. With a chainboot into Win8.1, I get a BSoD or my notebook just restarts.

Any further ideas? :/

Boot Setup 1.30 -> DOS prompt, type 'pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE9000 dsdt.aml' to do the DSDT substitution, then type 'chainload mbr'. Confirm that you have a Large Memory area in your device manager. If this works then that eliminates the DSDT substitution being the cause of the BSOD. Proceed then to add that line to your startup.bat, run 'setup', set PCI compaction->endpoint=56.25GB and then PCI compaction->Run compact, setting the scope to eGPU only, select Startup.bat->Test run then Chainloader->Test run.

Please tell me, please...

Does any one have any experience in creating eGPU using the PCI-E 3.0 x 16 such as: MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G and GV-R928XOC-3GD ???

As I know PCIe passive adapter PE4H and such supports PCI-E 1.0, 2.0, or 2.1 only...

Here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-External-PCI-E-graphics-card-Expresscard-Set-ATX/221491_1480989524.html

saw adapter supports PCI-E 3.0 (not an advertisement:)) Can the people who have something to say about this???

Sorry for my english.

Boot Setup 1.30 -> DOS prompt, type 'pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE9000 dsdt.aml' to do the DSDT substitution, then type 'chainload mbr'. Confirm that you have a Large Memory area in your device manager. If this works then that eliminates the DSDT substitution being the cause of the BSOD. Proceed then to add that line to your startup.bat, run 'setup', set PCI compaction->endpoint=56.25GB and then PCI compaction->Run compact, setting the scope to eGPU only, select Startup.bat->Test run then Chainloader->Test run.
Thank you for your reply. I'll test it, when I'm at home later in the evening (CET).

Please tell me, please...

Does any one have any experience in creating eGPU using the PCI-E 3.0 x 16 such as: MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G and GV-R928XOC-3GD ???

As I know PCIe passive adapter PE4H and such supports PCI-E 1.0, 2.0, or 2.1 only...

Series-5 (1st gen i-core) or earlier notebooks only support PCIe 1.x on their expresscard/mPCIe ports.

Series-6 to 8 (2nd to current 4th gen i-core) support PCIe 2.x on their expresscard/mPCIe/Thunderbolt ports.

PCIe 3.x is available on 3rd gen or newer notebooks but only on their Northbridge. That where dedicated graphics is attached. Occasionally Thunderbolt controllers are attached there too but their downgrade the link to pcie 2.x only. So for eGPU purposes we are still on PCIe 2.x at the moment.

These adapters advertise PCIe 3.x capability because some, like the PE4H 2.4, have a H1PA adapter allowing attachment to a desktop pci-e slot. Its there that you could extract full PCIe 3.x performance.

Boot Setup 1.30 -> DOS prompt, type 'pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE9000 dsdt.aml' to do the DSDT substitution, then type 'chainload mbr'. Confirm that you have a Large Memory area in your device manager. If this works
It doesn't :( I did exactly as you said. DSDT substitution, chainload mbr. Then i can choose Boot Win 8.1 or Setup. If I choose Windows and the Expresscard with the eGPU is plugged in, BSoD. if it's not connected, Windows starts up, as soon as i plug in the Expresscard, BSoD with the Error "BAD_POOL_HEADER". And there's no 'Large Memory'...
then that eliminates the DSDT substitution being the cause of the BSOD. Proceed then to add that line to your startup.bat, run 'setup', set PCI compaction->endpoint=56.25GB and then PCI compaction->Run compact, setting the scope to eGPU only, select Startup.bat->Test run then Chainloader->Test run.

@Tech Inferno Fan

It did it like 10 times now :D here are some Screenshots.

edit: sorry, i dont know how to make thumbnail views for the screenshots

edit2: now i used a newer version of iasl from this site: https://acpica.org/downloads/binary-tools

Now, it won't compile.

edit3: The line where the error shows up is (7160):

Name (_IRC, 0x00) // _IRC: Inrush Current
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd ..

C:\Windows>cd ..

C:\>cd tool_new

C:\tool_new>iasl -g

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140114-32 [Jan 14 2014]

Copyright © 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation

Table [RSDT] obtained from registry, 196 bytes

Table [RSDT] written to "RSDT_TP-G4.dat"

There are 20 tables defined in the XSDT

Table [FACP] obtained from registry, 268 bytes

Table [FACP] written to "FACP_TP-G4.dat"

Table [DSDT] obtained from registry, 65365 bytes

Table [DSDT] written to "DSDT_TP-G4.dat"

Disassembly of DSDT

Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]

Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)

Parsing completed

Disassembly completed

ASL Output: dsdt_TP-G4.dsl - 561971 bytes

C:\tool_new>iasl.exe dsdt_TP-G4.dsl

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140114-32 [Jan 14 2014]

Copyright © 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 2503: Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)

Remark 2120 - ^ Control Method should be made

Serialized (due to creation of named objects within)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 3912: Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)

Remark 2120 - ^ Control Method should be

made Serialized (due to creation of named objects within)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 5393: Method (_Q16, 0, NotSerialized)

Warning 3115 - Not all control paths return a value ^ (_Q16)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 5891: Method (GBIF, 3, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 7037: Method (MHGI, 1, NotSerialized)

Remark 2120 - Control Method should be made Serialized ^ (due to creation of

named objects within)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 7610: Name (_IRC, 0x00)

Error 6103 - ^ Reserved name must be a con

trol method (with zero arguments)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 8305: Method (NBCI, 4, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 8307: Name (_T_0, Zero)

Remark 2011 - Use of compiler reserved name ^ (_T_0)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 8577: Method (NVSB, 1, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 9467: Method (_PLD, 0, Serialized)

Warning 3115 - Not all control paths return a value ^ (_PLD)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 9467: Method (_PLD, 0, Serialized)

Warning 3107 - Reserved method must return a value ^ (Package require

d for _PLD)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 12334: Method (SCMP, 3, NotSerialized)

Remark 2120 - ^ Control Method should be made Ser

ialized (due to creation of named objects within)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13429: Method (MHPF, 1, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13449: Method (MHIF, 1, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13618: Method (GOBT, 1, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13666: Method (NVOP, 4, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13668: Name (_T_0, Zero)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13803: Method (NVPS, 4, NotSerialized)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13805: Name (_T_1, Zero)

Remark 2011 - Use of compiler reserved name ^ (_T_1)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 13806: Name (_T_0, Zero)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 15298: Method (PMON, 2, NotSerialized)

Remark 2120 - ^ Control Method should be made Serialized

(due to creation of named objects within)

dsdt_TP-G4.dsl 15614: Method (SCMP, 2, NotSerialized)

Remark 2120 - ^ Control Method should be made Serialized

(due to creation of named objects within)

ASL Input: dsdt_TP-G4.dsl - 15664 lines, 523393 bytes, 6707 keywords

Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 3 Warnings, 18 Remarks, 2951 Optimizations

C:\tool_new>

post-22739-14494997017037_thumb.png

post-22739-14494997017314_thumb.jpg

post-22739-14494997017643_thumb.jpg

post-22739-14494997017981_thumb.jpg

post-22739-1449499701834_thumb.jpg

OMG. I can't be so damn stupid :D Must be a hard week.. ;D I'll give it try...

Edit: @Tech Inferno Fan

The first five steps cant be executed in DOS mode. The 'pt MEM writefromfile ...' command was executed in the Setup DOS prompt.

As you are not seeing the "Large Memory" area in device manager use the following method to see if the modified DSDT table is being used:

- ensure you've loaded the DSDT table in Setup 1.30, then chainload to Windows

- Run 'iasl -g' to extract the in-memory DSDT table. Then use notepad to view the resultant dsdt*.aml. Search for the 'QWordmemory' entry.

If you find it then something is amiss with your DSDT table. If you don't find it then something has gone wrong with the method you are applying to load the DSDT table.

@Tech Inferno Fan

"pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xDAFE9000 dsdt.aml" 'works', but Windows won't start - only a BSoD...

Maybe the mistake is in my dsdt_....dsl File. Like described here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-264.html#post82012

If I use your iasl.exe from that howto-package, my dsl compiles. If i use a newer iasl.exe Version from 2013 oder 2014 I get the error messages like in my post above. Is there a chance to fix this error? Or is there another opportunity to create an error-free dsl file that I can compile to this needed .aml file?

Edit: Even a non-edited dsl File won't compile... Same error.

Thank you, Tech Inferno Fan, for YOUR answer. That is, to date, possibly as eGPU maximum i can install the Radeon HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 using PE4H ? I understood correctly or not? Thank you.

Configuration:

Fujitsu lifeBook NH751

Windows 7 ACPI×64-based PC

I7-2670QM (4×2.20GHz)

Intel Sandy Bridge-MB IMC

Platform: Huron River

Dual DDR3 SDRAM 8 Gb (2×4Gb)

Intel HD Graphics 3000

NviDiA GeForce GT 525M

I found a way that the eGPU works!

Boot into Setup 1.3, Menu Based

64bit address room for the iGPU

Force 32bit room to the eGPU

chainload windows and VOILA! The eGPU works. Now my iGPU has error 12 but who cares? :D

I'm gonna test it some further ;)

Thx everyone, especially Tech Inferno Fan!

Are there any benchmarks for very demanding games like Crysis 3? I'm a little concerned about how performance scales here. A 20% decrease in frame rates could make all the difference in playability.

Right, so I recently got a HP Elitebook 2570p, and I'm now attempting to get an egpu working on it. However, when I plug in my expresscard, nothing happens. I've tried the things listed in the faq to no avail. I've also tested the graphics card and it works fine. Here's my setup:

PE4L v2.1b

HP Elitebook 2570p

EVGA GTX 480

Corsair CX600 PSU

Some help please?

Thank you, Tech Inferno Fan, for YOUR answer. That is, to date, possibly as eGPU maximum i can install the Radeon HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 using PE4H ? I understood correctly or not? Thank you.

Configuration:

Fujitsu lifeBook NH751

Windows 7 ACPI×64-based PC

I7-2670QM (4×2.20GHz)

Intel Sandy Bridge-MB IMC

Platform: Huron River

Dual DDR3 SDRAM 8 Gb (2×4Gb)

Intel HD Graphics 3000

NviDiA GeForce GT 525M

Your system has an expresscard slot and is Gen2 capable. You'll need a PE4L-ECxxxA 2.1b (Gen2) hardware and take it from there. HD6990 is a dual-gpu card that will not work. A NVidia GTX560Ti or GTX660 or newer is recommended over AMD cards for your system since you have an Intel iGPU where NVidia's driver engages x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode. For the NVidia card you'll probably need Setup 1.30 to disable the dGPU to get the Optimus functionality.

I found a way that the eGPU works!

Boot into Setup 1.3, Menu Based

64bit address room for the iGPU

Force 32bit room to the eGPU

chainload windows and VOILA! The eGPU works. Now my iGPU has error 12 but who cares? :D

I'm gonna test it some further ;)

Thx everyone, especially Tech Inferno Fan!

Are you saying the eGPU works without the primary video card working in Windows 8.x? Interesting. Worthwhile for you to 3dmark06 benchmark your video card which I presume is a NVidia one. If you get a score of < 10k then the x1 pci-e compression isn't engaging due to the iGPU not being functional. In which case you may wish to continue trying to get the DSDT override working to get the iGPU and eGPU allocated and working to gain faster eGPU performance, particularly with DX9 apps.

Right, so I recently got a HP Elitebook 2570p, and I'm now attempting to get an egpu working on it. However, when I plug in my expresscard, nothing happens. I've tried the things listed in the faq to no avail. I've also tested the graphics card and it works fine. Here's my setup:

PE4L v2.1b

HP Elitebook 2570p

EVGA GTX 480

Corsair CX600 PSU

Some help please?

Ensure the expresscard slot is enabled in the bios. Boot Windows, power on the eGPU and plug in the expresscard into the expresscard slot, do a device manager scan. Does it detect a new device? If not then it would indicate either a problem with the expresscard slot or the eGPU adapter.

Are you saying the eGPU works without the primary video card working in Windows 8.x? Interesting. Worthwhile for you to 3dmark06 benchmark your video card which I presume is a NVidia one. If you get a score of < 10k then the x1 pci-e compression isn't engaging due to the iGPU not being functional. In which case you may wish to continue trying to get the DSDT override working to get the iGPU and eGPU allocated and working to gain faster eGPU performance, particularly with DX9 apps.

Indeed! It works!

post-22739-14494997023699_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.