eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Be more specific, whats your system specs , gpu? setup 1.x?

What exactly doesn't work? Does it setup 1.x compacts it successfully ? is it a BSOD? etc...

my laptop is vaio vpcf11cgx

cpu : core i7 Q720 @ 1.6GHz

Ram : 4GB DDR3

Graphic : gt310m

windows : win 8.1 pro

Egpu : PE4H V3.2 + Sapphire r9 280x toxic + express card + 700 PSU

i test everything ...

i attach ke pic from my device manager and my dsdt ..

http://arashforus.persiangig.com/other/dsdt.dsl

post-19799-1449499690407_thumb.png

Upon viewing your comments I wondered if I could possible squeeze out some more battery savings? Yes, a further up to 0.3W gain was possible by (1) Disable USB 3.0 - function disable bit 27 (2) Use Throttlestop to decrease multiplier from x12 to x8. Function disable is at 0xFED1F418 on my HP. That may be different on yours. Find it by doing a PCI read of 0:1f.0 f0 (32-bit) but set the rightmost digit to zero, then add 0x3418 it. Use the RWEverything utility to do the pci read then the memory read/write for disabling USB 3.0. Doing a device manager rescan afterwards to see it disappear.

Now if I had a SSD I'd love to show a ~4.6W idling 2570P. That would be at least 2W better than as supplied by HP. The Haswell "power efficient" ULT (ULV) platform idles just under 4W. There might not be much in it at idle.

Might be worthwhile for you to modify your registry to adjust CPU parking, in turning it off when plugged into AC and maximizing core parking when on battery. Windows 7 by default won't park logical cores, so they're not being parked when idle (at least they weren't for me). I used similar instructions to the "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" reg hack to enable "Processor Performance Core Parking Min Cores" (0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583) and "Processor Performance Core Parking Core Override" (a55612aa-f624-42c6-a443-7397d064c04f). Set the former to 10% so that the min number of parked cores is 1 for a quad core with HT, and enable the latter so that Windows will park logical cores. When idle, I squeaked another .1 to .3W of power savings doing so. You can also modify "Processor Performance Core Parking Parked Performance State" (447235c7-6a8d-4cc0-8e24-9eaf70b96e2b) to force CPUs to enter a lower power state. The only side effect of doing all of this was that there is a slight pause when waking up cores or during web browsing.

Microsoft has detailed its CPU power management here

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/0/2/3027D574-C433-412A-A8B6-5E0A75D5B237/ProcPowerMgmtWin7.docx

Naturally, editing your registry can mess up your computer so be careful.

To bring this back to being related to eGPU stuff, you could use the same settings to maximize your CPU performance. Here's some discussion on performance effects of disabling core parking:

Possible perfect solution for Battlefield 4 spikes with high fps | EVGA Forums

• Thumbs Up 1

wow ... at all i create a large memory like instruction ... but now i connect my egpu and restart windows and windows doesn't start ... when it want to show win logo it crashes ant said : oh sorry there was a problem in windows ... wait to restart ... somthing like this and restart ... what can i do now ?

Hi NMR,

Great stuff.

Are you running the Sonnet to and external or internal screen (or are you able to do both?)?

Hey Relentless,

the sonnet ist only useable with an external display

wow ... at all i create a large memory like instruction ... but now i connect my egpu and restart windows and windows doesn't start ... when it want to show win logo it crashes ant said : oh sorry there was a problem in windows ... wait to restart ... somthing like this and restart ... what can i do now ?

Was the screenshot you showed us taken after DSDT override? with or without egpu?

Any can you show screenshots from setup 1.x, before and after each compaction you tested? Also show us setup.bat.

The more info the better.

Was the screenshot you showed us taken after DSDT override? with or without egpu?

Any can you show screenshots from setup 1.x, before and after each compaction you tested? Also show us setup.bat.

The more info the better.

the first pic is before DSDT Override .... but the second is after DSDT Override ...

both of the pictures is with egpu ... that means when the windows is up i attach the egpu ...

my problem is i haven't Setup 1.x ... cause in my country i can't buy somthing with paypal or credit card ... if i have a setup 1.x i haven't problem ...

i email to seller Tech Inferno Fanever for helping in this case but he annoy me ...

now i test my pe4h with my old graphic ( Asus En7300 Gs 256 DDR2 ) and it works without DSDT override but with DSDT override it restarting in loading win 8 logo ... like my new graphic when attach to pe4h ... my new graphic is Sapphiire r9 280x toxic with 3GB GDDR5 ... my new graphic whit DSDT override is restrting in win 8 logo animation and without it , it freezes after logon screen ...

i don't know problem ...

another Q is the minimum range and maximum range that we set to DSDT override should be fix for all users ??? i can change it myself with my numbers ??

and i think the problem is the range of my Qmemory that i set to DSDT override ....

another Q is my pci ecpress is port 6 and port 2 and 3 is my reader card and my lan card ... i disbale port 2 and 3 ... can i set the range of port 6 over his range and get the range of port 2 and 3 in port 6 range ? ( :D sorry for my bad english )

the first pic is before DSDT Override .... but the second is after DSDT Override ...

both of the pictures is with egpu ... that means when the windows is up i attach the egpu ...

my problem is i haven't Setup 1.x ... cause in my country i can't buy somthing with paypal or credit card ... if i have a setup 1.x i haven't problem ...

i email to seller Tech Inferno Fanever for helping in this case but he annoy me ...

now i test my pe4h with my old graphic ( Asus En7300 Gs 256 DDR2 ) and it works without DSDT override but with DSDT override it restarting in loading win 8 logo ... like my new graphic when attach to pe4h ... my new graphic is Sapphiire r9 280x toxic with 3GB GDDR5 ... my new graphic whit DSDT override is restrting in win 8 logo animation and without it , it freezes after logon screen ...

i don't know problem ...

another Q is the minimum range and maximum range that we set to DSDT override should be fix for all users ??? i can change it myself with my numbers ??

and i think the problem is the range of my Qmemory that i set to DSDT override ....

another Q is my pci ecpress is port 6 and port 2 and 3 is my reader card and my lan card ... i disbale port 2 and 3 ... can i set the range of port 6 over his range and get the range of port 2 and 3 in port 6 range ? ( :D sorry for my bad english )

What error code are you getting? I was getting various (and spurious) errors when I was using a bad power supply. I was even able to run a weaker GPU (GT610) successfully, but once I stressed the PSU I would get issues.

If everything is working well, you have a dGPU only setup so it's a little more complicated. You can try using the info from here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html

to try and find a solution to your issue. If you're trying to use the AMD card as an eGPU, then you will most likely be disappointed in your performance due to the PciE 1.0 link / lack of Optimus and should consider a new laptop. If you're using it as a GPGPU and don't care about the 1.0 link, then you might not notice a performance impact but should consider dual booting into Windows 7 to enable a DSDT registry hack.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just found out that my AMD eGPU is plug and play on HP 2560p, Win 8.1 with DSDT override.

I just run (startup.bat) the following commands in setup 1.x before booting:

call pt MEM writefromfile 1 0xBCFD1000 dsdt.aml

call pci

call chainload mbr

So it doesn't wait for a gpu to be present. Then in windows I can plug the eGPU, start PSU and it gets detected and works right away.

Too bad I can't unplug it as I'd like (I need to disable it in device manager first, otherwise its bluescreen) .I guess this is how Nvidia users have it :)

• Thumbs Up 1

@arashforus I think the reason why the old card worked but not the new one is because the new one is trying to run pci-e 2.0, while the older one did not since it did not support it. The pe4h you have cannot do pci-e 2.0. You need a pe4l 2.1 or a pe4h 3.2.

i have PE4H 3.2 ... so it support pci e 2

i want to know how i can downgrade the pci e to 1 to work egpu

cause before i install all drivers it recognise my egpu and work fine but it's pcie 1

when i update drivers it recognize the egpu as a pcie 2 and after that my windows freezes in logon screen

how can i revert my pci express to version 1 ???

gentlemen I have nvidia settings manager the preferred system for Chrome is a iGPU and the inclusion of chrome immediately jumps the use eGPU and temps from <30 on the GPU flying at about 35C, temps still ok but why eGPU is loaded?

when there is no chrome temp are about 26C and use going to <5%, and when chrome is turned on.

n100.png

Hi guys I have been having problems with my setup over the last couple of days. It has gone from a one hit start up and go to a one hour nuisance to get started.

For some reason I am getting crashes after the windows logo (sometimes). Sometimes it works fine (I have no idea what enables this though). My process is decidedly simple. Boot up, DIY eGPU setup, get the card detected, chainload to win7 using bootmgr (used to work fine all the time). However now it often just black screens and hangs after the windows logo disappears.

One thought I had would be to simply re-install setup 1.x (as I messed around a little to try and get the startup.bat to work). How would I go about doing that? If you know what my problem could be or just know how to wipe 1.x off for a fresh re-install please let me know.

Cheers!

Hi guys I have been having problems with my setup over the last couple of days. It has gone from a one hit start up and go to a one hour nuisance to get started.

For some reason I am getting crashes after the windows logo (sometimes). Sometimes it works fine (I have no idea what enables this though). My process is decidedly simple. Boot up, DIY eGPU setup, get the card detected, chainload to win7 using bootmgr (used to work fine all the time). However now it often just black screens and hangs after the windows logo disappears.

One thought I had would be to simply re-install setup 1.x (as I messed around a little to try and get the startup.bat to work). How would I go about doing that? If you know what my problem could be or just know how to wipe 1.x off for a fresh re-install please let me know.

Cheers!

Need to figure out if you have a software or hardware issue. Doing a fresh Win installation + Setup 1.x may help. On the other hand if you black screen is because your hardware has deterioted and has a fault (eg: frayed/damaged/bent eGPU adapter cable causing electrical crosstalk, bad psu), then of course a software rebuild won't help. If you had a second test eGPU adapter then could quickly isolate the issue. Without it requires a process of elimination.

• Thumbs Up 1

gentlemen I have nvidia settings manager the preferred system for Chrome is a iGPU and the inclusion of chrome immediately jumps the use eGPU and temps from <30 on the GPU flying at about 35C, temps still ok but why eGPU is loaded?

when there is no chrome temp are about 26C and use going to <5%, and when chrome is turned on.

What plugins are you using? I've seen Flash and Java use a noticeable amount of CPU even when I don't have any websites that should use those plugins. Check out Process Explorer, it's like resource monitor on steroids. You can queue up a GPU column and see what's tasking the GPU. I don't think that you can tell it to watch one GPU over another, but maybe you can shut down processes one by one to see what's spinning up your eGPU.

Hello all! Thanks for stopping by to help me out.

Been looking to attempt the building of an eGPU for my late 2012 Mac Mini for the past year but unsure what exactly are my options and what would be best for my system. I already have Windows 8 installed and looking at using the Sonnet Echo Express setup... Would this be recommended? What's the best guide for my setup?

I also see that building the eGPU would require the cutting of wires from the GPU power supply, which I am unsure how to do. Are there more thorough instructions or is there an option from someone/somewhere to buy the wires pre-cut?

Link: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3326-mac-mini-gtx660-echo-express-w7-%3D-black-screen.html#post47227

Would appreciate if anyone could help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks again!

What plugins are you using? I've seen Flash and Java use a noticeable amount of CPU even when I don't have any websites that should use those plugins. Check out Process Explorer, it's like resource monitor on steroids. You can queue up a GPU column and see what's tasking the GPU. I don't think that you can tell it to watch one GPU over another, but maybe you can shut down processes one by one to see what's spinning up your eGPU.

the only one extension in my chrome is mightytext and it's not rtesponsible for this bumps og GTX760. this loading are during opening new sites or refreshing existing ones, it strange that it is fixed to the eGPU.

the only one extension in my chrome is mightytext and it's not rtesponsible for this bumps og GTX760. this loading are during opening new sites or refreshing existing ones, it strange that it is fixed to the eGPU.

Chrome does support GPGPU web rendering

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1220892?hl=en

Maybe Chrome thinks it's smarter than you and enabled this by default? Try this from guru3d's forums:

If you go to Settings-->Show Advanced Settings and untick the box labeled "Use hardware acceleration when available" you no longer have GPU acceleration within the browser.

Chrome does support GPGPU web rendering

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1220892?hl=en

Maybe Chrome thinks it's smarter than you and enabled this by default? Try this from guru3d's forums:

If you go to Settings-->Show Advanced Settings and untick the box labeled "Use hardware acceleration when available" you no longer have GPU acceleration within the browser.

huge thanks for this :) I did it but after this, every single refresh still bumps eGPU usage :/

@bjorm I get a GPU usage bump whenever anything changes. So when I refresh the page or other graphical changes (page loading or loading), there is some GPU usage. If it is on internal only then that is a different story. If I monitor GPU usage / GPU memory usage. I can have over 500MB GPU mem usage while NOT gaming. Just with a bunch of stuff on my screen at once (plus 4 monitors hooked up to GPU).

• Thumbs Up 1

PE4H 2.4b + EC2C + PCIEMM060B passes Gen2 test with AMD Radenon HD7xxx

As many of you know, BPlus at one stage advertised their PE4L 1.5 and 2.4b as Gen2 capable with their newer PCIEMM060B cable. In private discussion they indicated testing with a desktop + AMD Radeon HD7xxx found this to be the case.

I earlier tested a PE4H 2.4b + EC2C + PCIEMM060B with my HP 2570P and a MSI GTX660Ti finding it failed Gen2 testing, as did a number of other eGPU users upon which I advised them to cease that advertising. However in an unusual twist, testing the exact same eGPU hardware using a 2570P + Gigabyte AMD HD7xxx Radeon found it works at Gen2 speed.

It still does indicate that the soldered cable of a PE4L 2.1b or PE4H 3.2 has the better pci-e signal integrity and those earlier editions of the hardware be avoided if using a NVidia card.

• Thumbs Up 2

PE4H 2.4b + EC2C + PCIEMM060B passes Gen2 test with AMD Radenon HD7xxx

As many of you know, BPlus at one stage advertised their PE4L 1.5 and 2.4b as Gen2 capable with their newer PCIEMM060B cable. In private discussion they indicated testing with a desktop + AMD Radeon HD7xxx found this to be the case.

I earlier tested a PE4H 2.4b + EC2C + PCIEMM060B with my HP 2570P and a MSI GTX660Ti finding it failed Gen2 testing, as did a number of other eGPU users upon which I advised them to cease that advertising. However in an unusual twist, testing the exact same eGPU hardware using a 2570P + Gigabyte AMD HD7xxx Radeon found it works at Gen2 speed.

It still does indicate that the soldered cable of a PE4L 2.1b or PE4H 3.2 has the better pci-e signal integrity and those earlier editions of the hardware be avoided if using a NVidia card.

Bummer, I was planning on downgrading to a PE4H 2.4 for my 560ti, as I figured out what was causing my problem. It was simply the fact that I had the PE4L on too tight a bend in the case, having a more flexible PCIEMM-060B cord that comes with the PE4H 2.4 would have fixed this issue. Would you recommend I hold off on my purchase?

Also I have been trying to find a mini HDMI male to mini HDMI male on www.dx.com without much success. Anyone got a current link or an alternative?

Do you think a normal hdmi cable would work with two of these ? Or would the signal degradation be too great? Sorry for all the questions.

Hi,

I just have few questions regarding this project; I am posting here because y'all seem to be expert at this category. I've never touched a project like this before, that's why taking some precautions and asking over here at the forum.

I have a Dell xps 15 L502x; 2.00Ghz Turbo boost 2.9 i7-2630QM (basically a piece of garbage) with GT540M and intel HD 3000/ 8gb ram (Optimus Prime technology -.- yeah right it doesn't even switch graphics card properly while gaming)

here's my topic I need help with:

I am new to this and I am not sure whether to go through with http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2824-%5Bguide%5D-dell-xps-15-l502x-gtx650ti%40x1-1opt-pe4h-pm3n.html this guide and get the old pe4h instead of the new pe4L. If pe4L, do I need to install the setup 1.x from somewhere? I am a bit confused.

And also what gpu+psu combination do you folks recommend ?

Thanks for helping the newbie!

Buhnanafone

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.