eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Comparable performance can be found here. GTX560Ti, GTX660, GTX660Ti and GTX670 recommended. GTX650 not due to having quite large PCIe config space requirements making it difficult to accomodate on some platforms. The mini-ITX Asus GTX670 recommended due to it's compact sizing. Maybe compare performance scaling with cost in your market to see which is the best value money?

Does using a graphics card with the interface for example 3.0 or 2.0 affect something in the eGPU set up?

for example the MSI N660TI PE 2GD5/OC has an interface of PCI express 3.0 whereas an asus ENGTX560 Ti DC2/2DI/2GD5 will this affect the eGPU in some way? and if were to use the 1x on the PEY4H as my laptop can go PCI-E 1.0 x1 only? In addition, can i use EC2C(Express card to the converted port adapter) in the 1x along with a PM3N(mini PCIe card to the converted port adapter) in 2x interface in the PEY4H? please tell me if im making any sense.

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon the world of eGPU's today when deciding what MBP to buy.

I don't have the money right now for the MBP with the GT750M installed so I plan on buying the model with Intel Iris Pro graphics only. If I get this I'll probably buy an eGPU around Christmas time.

I've seen a few threads about MBP's and eGPU's but I would just like some clarification.

With this model of MBP, would an eGPU work fine over Thunderbolt and do I need an external monitor? I've seen a few people say you can pump it back into the display but I've seen others saying it will only work on an external monitor. Can somebody clarify this for me please?

also would the 2.2GHz CPU be sufficient for games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Watchdogs?

The 2.2GHz CPU will boost up to 3.4GHz, which is very good. Imho I would take the 2.5GHz Version as it will offer +300MHz for 100$.

But still, the current 15" MBPr have very fast CPUs and the stock version should be fast enough.

Take a look at here, I have done some gaming benchmarks also. I definitely recommend the Iris Pro only model, because you won't get internal screen Optimus support with 750M. The only disadvantage so far is that OSX hack doesn't work with the mid 2014 15" Iris model. I try to track down the reason from the console system log.

Well thankfully I don't need it to work on OSX. I will be gaming using Bootcamp. The only reason that I'm getting a MBP is because I'm a photographer and Macs are definitely my preference when it comes to editing, and the MBP is perfect for editing on the go. I will be using Windows for my gaming and OSX for everything else.

Update: Five AKiTiO Thunderbolt eGPU implementations so far:78:

Now summarized in table form at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24225-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box.html#post98210 .

Same format applied also now to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 where it's also the recommended enclosure for Thunderbolt eGPU implementations and the most popular so far.

Should make it easier to home in on the important details.

So i think that you can sleep safe with the dell adapter :) also it comes included in the kit and the PE4C v2.0 support also a PC atx PSU.

This weekend i will mesure the consumption of the GPU+PE4C+DEll PSU from a plug watt meter at idle and at full load :)

Hey, I wonder if you have done the benchmark for the rig and what you think of it so far. Looking forward to your new posts.

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a 750 ti, and an EXP GDC (from banggood) for my ThinkPad T420. Am I right in saying that this combination works well? I've been doing quite a bit of research, this thread is great (it would be better if it were searchable haha, i had to write a script to download it and format all the pages into one so I could use Ctrl+F). A few people have had success with similar to this. You can use this with the internal screen too, is that correct?

Another option would be to get an R9 280x (cheap ex-miners on eBay). However, does this work with the internal LCD? I'm not sure if it does.

Thank you.

this thread is great (it would be better if it were searchable haha, i had to write a script to download it and format all the pages into one so I could use Ctrl+F).

I often have the same problem here. I can't believe there's no autopager (Firefox add-on) rule for a site like techinferno. Any reason why nobody has ever created one?

Sorry for the OT.

Update: Five AKiTiO Thunderbolt eGPU implementations so far:78:

Now summarized in table form at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24225-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box.html#post98210 .

Same format applied also now to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 where it's also the recommended enclosure for Thunderbolt eGPU implementations and the most popular so far.

Should make it easier to home in on the important details.

6th underway! Ordered the Akitio Thunderbolt 2 and expect it 17th of september. Just a quick question, I'd like to connect the following card: MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com (MSI GTX 770). Will this work with the Akitio TB 2?

6th underway! Ordered the Akitio Thunderbolt 2 and expect it 17th of september. Just a quick question, I'd like to connect the following card: MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com (MSI GTX 770). Will this work with the Akitio TB 2?

There are no 6 AKiTiO Thunderbolt eGPU implementations: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 . 3 required PCIe risers and 3 didn't. So by the current rate you have a 50% chance of it working without a PCIe riser. You may then want to add a powered PCIe riser to your shopping list. They're a couple of bucks from ebay.

306.97WHQL driver documentation has a Support Products list.

Nando4 I Found a GeForce 9600M GS lying around in my house and is there a driver for this that can support for NVIDIA OPTIMUS?

and a question that i had a few days ago Does using a graphics card with the interface for example 3.0 or 2.0 affect something in the eGPU set up?

for example the MSI N660TI PE 2GD5/OC has an interface of PCI express 3.0 whereas an asus ENGTX560 Ti DC2/2DI/2GD5 will this affect the eGPU in some way? and if were to use the 1x on the PEY4H as my laptop can go PCI-E 1.0 x1 only? In addition, can i use EC2C(Express card to the converted port adapter) in the 1x along with a PM3N(mini PCIe card to the converted port adapter) in 2x interface in the PEY4H? please tell me if im making any sense.

@Gass

Did you monitor your temps while gaming on the system?

Sorry to hear that it died on you, good to hear you had warranty =)

Yes, I have no losses, but now I'm not using the egpu as I am afraid that if I'll come back to my warranty service provider with the same issue, they will refuse to give me that warranty again...

Answering your questions about temperatures - I was monitoring temperatures only for my GTX 480, and it was very low, as my GTX480 has Arctic cooler so the GPU temperature does not reach more than 35 C.

What relates to my laptop temperature - my main indicator is my fan speed, and on the games I was playing it was not spinning at full power, which means it was not loaded so much.

I'm confused what to do next. I need to collect some additional information to be sure that egpu is not harming my system, but to do that, seems I need to go to very deep level of electronics.

Yes, I have no losses, but now I'm not using the egpu as I am afraid that if I'll come back to my warranty service provider with the same issue, they will refuse to give me that warranty again...

Answering your questions about temperatures - I was monitoring temperatures only for my GTX 480, and it was very low, as my GTX480 has Arctic cooler so the GPU temperature does not reach more than 35 C.

What relates to my laptop temperature - my main indicator is my fan speed, and on the games I was playing it was not spinning at full power, which means it was not loaded so much.

I'm confused what to do next. I need to collect some additional information to be sure that egpu is not harming my system, but to do that, seems I need to go to very deep level of electronics.

Why wouldn't they grant you another warranty issue?

I had friends that had bad SSD's died back-to-back with same warranty covering twice (this could be a bad mobo that they didn't take care of).

I wouldn't worry if I were you, but I would have a look at the temps anyway.

Really hope you resolve it!

There are no 6 AKiTiO Thunderbolt eGPU implementations: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 . 3 required PCIe risers and 3 didn't. So by the current rate you have a 50% chance of it working without a PCIe riser. You may then want to add a powered PCIe riser to your shopping list. They're a couple of bucks from ebay.

I got the AKiTiO Thunder2 to work with the Intel Thunderblot NUC and HD 7870. A molex powered PCIe riser is required though.

Do you think it is worth waiting for the Broadwell Macbook Pro next year or get the Haswell Macbook Pro now?

Thanks for providing us with a wealth of information on the various eGPU setups!

• Thumbs Up 1

I got the AKiTiO Thunder2 to work with the Intel Thunderblot NUC and HD 7870. A molex powered PCIe riser is required though.

Do you think it is worth waiting for the Broadwell Macbook Pro next year or get the Haswell Macbook Pro now?

Thanks for providing us with a wealth of information on the various eGPU setups!

Thunderbolt 3 is slated for Skylark, the platform after Broadwell. So no improvements in TB2 bandwidth in the 2015 i7-quad Broadwell Macbook Pro 15"

Broadwell's 22nm->14nm die shrink should see turbo boost improvements just like the Sandy Bridge 32nm -> Ivy Bridge 14nm did http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181 . You'll of course see a faster iGPU too.

A NUC straddles the line between a notebook and a desktop. There have been others looking to use a NUC for eGPU connectivity. As you are the first to do so, would you mind providing a GUIDE of how you got it all to work? (pics, benchmarks, steps)? There are several guides is this forum already that can be used as a template.

The generous user contributed GUIDE are what keeps the eGPU momentum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.