eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Noticed these things popping up on eBay.

New USB 3.0 PCI-E 1x to 16x Powered 1M Express Extender Riser Adapter Card UK | eBay

Not very useful for us at the moment, but it shows that:

a) PCIE1x can be carried though USB3.0 Cable

B) If a UK seller can sell this, at profit, with 1st class delivery, for £6, then it shows how much this kind of kit truly costs.

It's also interesting to note that that adapter also looks like it has the 6pin through-hole mounting point for PCIe 6pin power connector, even though Molex is soldered on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Noticed these things popping up on eBay.

New USB 3.0 PCI-E 1x to 16x Powered 1M Express Extender Riser Adapter Card UK | eBay

Not very useful for us at the moment, but it shows that:

a) PCIE1x can be carried though USB3.0 Cable

B) If a UK seller can sell this, at profit, with 1st class delivery, for £6, then it shows how much this kind of kit truly costs.

It's also interesting to note that that adapter also looks like it has the 6pin through-hole mounting point for PCIe 6pin power connector, even though Molex is soldered on.

Anybody want to test this socketted mPCIe product to see if can do a Gen2 link?

Yep, equivalent to a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b product but with socketted ends and way lower cost.

Question is, does this thing transmit pci-e 2.0 reliably? Appears he's using high quality USB 3.0 ends and USB 3.0 cables with strict tolerance to achieve USB 3.0's 5Gbps transmission rate. If this can transmit 5Gbps pci-e 2.0 reliably then this socketted product would be ideal for mPCIe users. A socket ends mPCIe eGPU product highly desired as discussed in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2958-pe4l-pm060a-mini-pcie-extender.html#post40824

It's not mPCIe though sadly, it's just 1 PCIe 1x slot.

It's designed for desktop users to have 4+ GPUs for *coin mining.

But I don't mind picking one up just for testing if you think it would be useful.

It's not mPCIe though sadly, it's just 1 PCIe 1x slot.

It's designed for desktop users to have 4+ GPUs for *coin mining.

But I don't mind picking one up just for testing if you think it would be useful.

Whoops. Quite right. Rather than a mPCIe board, it's a 1x-to-x16 extender board. If this guy did make a mPCIe board with a USB 3.0 connector on it, then we may finally have a socketted mPCIe eGPU solution. Whoever is making them probably hasn't contemplated extending his market to expresscard/mPCIe notebooks. Would be nice for us if they did.

Whoops. Quite right. Rather than a mPCIe board, it's a 1x-to-x16 extender board. If this guy did make a mPCIe board with a USB 3.0 connector on it, then we may finally have a socketted mPCIe eGPU solution. Whoever is making them probably hasn't contemplated extending his market to expresscard/mPCIe notebooks. Would be nice for us if they did.

Given that they seem to be sold by lots of different sellers on eBay, I would assume he isn't related to the OEM, just an importer.

However, if USB3 cables can handle Gen2, maybe that knowledge would help BPLUS develop something that has a chance of catching up with the EXP GDC.

I just got home with a nice MSI GTX 560 Ti :) wish me luck, I will set it up and report back in a few minutes.

Well.... Error 12 here, so I will need to do some wizardry to get it working :(

Dell E6430, only igp, and only 4GB RAM - I was hoping I will avoid getting here... Seems Win8.1 was a bad choice for this setup.

Anyone can help me out? I started reading the instructions but got lost after a few steps. Isn't there anything that doesn't need me to alter system files?

Well.... Error 12 here, so I will need to do some wizardry to get it working :(

Dell E6430, only igp, and only 4GB RAM - I was hoping I will avoid getting here... Seems Win8.1 was a bad choice for this setup.

Anyone can help me out? I started reading the instructions but got lost after a few steps. Isn't there anything that doesn't need me to alter system files?

I'd search in the main DIY eGPU thread. I think there is another E6430 implementation in there. I did my crossfire test with the E6420 under Ubuntu, and normal testing under Win7:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5622-%5Bblog%5D-crossfire-testing.html#post82280

You'd have to look around for E6430. Do you know if you are using a MBR or UEFI/GPT install of Win8.1?

Post the details in the main thread so more people can help you out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi All,

I have an error 12 with the following setup:

Dell E6430 - Core i5, 4GB RAM, only igp, MBR

EXP GDC with Expresscard

MSI GTX 560 Ti

I need some assistance where to start fixing my issue...

Hi All,

I have an error 12 with the following setup:

Dell E6430 - Core i5, 4GB RAM, only igp, MBR

EXP GDC with Expresscard

MSI GTX 560 Ti

I need some assistance where to start fixing my issue...

E6430 would have the same issue with TOLUD=3.5GB that I had with the E6230 in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 . Fortunately, mine dynamically adjusted down to 3.25GB from a mix of installing more RAM and getting the eGPU detected by the bios once on bootup . You could try the same. If that doesn't work for you then the solution is to use a DSDT override/substitution to allow the eGPU to be hosted outside of 36/64-bit pcie space. You may also need Setup 1.x to preallocated the eGPU into that area if Windows isn't willing to do it.

E6430 would have the same issue with TOLUD=3.5GB that I had with the E6230 in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 . Fortunately, mine dynamically adjusted down to 3.25GB from a mix of installing more RAM and getting the eGPU detected by the bios once on bootup . You could try the same. If that doesn't work for you then the solution is to use a DSDT override/substitution to allow the eGPU to be hosted outside of 36/64-bit pcie space. You may also need Setup 1.x to preallocated the eGPU into that area if Windows isn't willing to do it.

Nando4, thanks! I tried DSDT override yesterday without success, but today I found an MSDN article where it is explained that DSDT override is disabled in Win8.1 by default. To enable it, you have to switch testsigning ON via bcdedit. After I found this out, everything went smooth :) Now the card is recognised and I have no error12 anymore. According to GPU-Z I am at PCI-E 1.1 x16@x1 1.1

Update: With some load according to GPU-Z the bus changes to PCI-E 2.0 x16@x1 2.0 :)

I'm trying to reconcile my benchmarks with @Tech Inferno Fan's Implementations: Thunderbolt, expresscard and mPCIe eGPUs post, but I'm having little luck.

I've run Unigine Heaven on Extreme settings at 1920x1080 and achieved a score of 750. What does this mean? By cross-referencing the above benchmark post, I'd be in the bottom third performance-wise, which is kind of weird given that I'm running a 15" Haswell MBP retina and using the Thunderbolt TH05 with a GTX 670 OC.

I've also downloaded 3DMark and ran Fire Strike (score: 5,405), Cloud Gate (score:17,627, and Ice Storm (score:115,705). I'm not sure what these scores mean, but I think that's DX 11, 10, & 9, respectively. But those scores don't match up with anything on the leaderboard.

I'm looking for some insight as to what these numbers mean. I frequently get unrecoverable black screens when playing specific MMO's (TESO & TSW), but none for others (EVE and SC2). So, I'm trying to diagnose what's going on and if these benchmarks have anything to say about it.

(Note: setup is in my signature, but benchmarks were run using an Antec 80 bronze 450W PSU instead of my modded xbox psu)

hello guys!

ive hit the problem...

i bought EXP GDC v6.0

i received it today, well reasons of buying that thingy wasnt to gameabout, but to make proper PC based mediacenter

i have oldish Samsung r70 for all this setup, with known problem of Videooverheat and eventual death

so after reading a lot i found this EXP GDC V6.0 thingy

lucky for me that Laptop has extra Mpci-e slot, but after getting that thingy, installing it to my oldish machine, ive hit the problem,

it dose recognize my GPU (also oldish or rather OLD, radeon 2400pro (dual monitor(vga) and S-video to component plug) ) but it dose nothing... exactly nothing, as well as it shows me Base System Device code28

any ideas?

Please let me know if I should post this to another topic...

So about performance: I ran 3dmark and got disappointing results. My igpu did around 40k score at the Ice Storm test and the egpu GTX560Ti scored only 18k: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3320M Processor,Dell Inc. 0CPWYR

Is this normal? Any suggestions what I could configure differently?

Please let me know if I should post this to another topic...

So about performance: I ran 3dmark and got disappointing results. My igpu did around 40k score at the Ice Storm test and the egpu GTX560Ti scored only 18k: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3320M Processor,Dell Inc. 0CPWYR

Is this normal? Any suggestions what I could configure differently?

Compare against a similar specced system at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 to see if you are getting the correct level of performance.

Yes, but atm you should not order anything from him - seems the guy is offline and not shipping/responding to paying customers :(

That thing looks even more industrial than the PE4L :)

Did he rip you off?

That thing looks even more industrial than the PE4L :)

Did he rip you off?

No, not me - it was not convincing enough for me based on the pictures so I went for the EXP GDC. But two local guys were complaining. To be fair: In the meantime it turned out he had some kind of life issues so we shall wait and see...

No, not me - it was not convincing enough for me based on the pictures so I went for the EXP GDC. But two local guys were complaining. To be fair: In the meantime it turned out he had some kind of life issues so we shall wait and see...

I understand, but I don't really see the point of buying it since it cost ~$60 (excl. shipping, taxes, etc etc). I just found it rather primitive looking =)

Let's hope he gets his life back on track and makes something awesome for us!

If you have an accessible mPCIe slot (eg: wifi), then you can implement a x1.2Opt GTX770 eGPU. You'll need a PE4L-PMxxxA 2.1b + PSU + GTX770 + Setup 1.x (to disable the GTX660M to allow eGPU to run as Optimus device).

I've been reading various egpu forums, mostly $cost$ per benchmarks score, for fun and now this seems to me like a pretty good solution in replacing my 660m, which is dead (I think). So, forgive my ignorance if what I'm asking has been asked 9274581 times but I'm finding a lot of contradictory/difficult-to-grasp info, or maybe I'm reading/understanding it wrong... I have a y580, and my OS doesn't detect my 660m, sometimes if I wiggle the three mini cables on the bottom (one of which I had to replace, for the PSU), one of them will get it working for one boot albeit running extremely hot and glitchy.

Anyway, for my specific situation, am I correct in thinking that I don't need to "perform Setup 1.x" since my 660m is pretty much as good as disabled. And do I still need to get a "PE4L-PMxxxA 2.1b" even if I wasn't planning on the GTX 770? All I'm really looking for is something that can easily score ~4k - 5k on a 3DMARK11 run, with my budget for the card itself (not the connectors/adapters) being about $100. I already have a 750W psu, so can someone shove me in the right direction? Any, and all responses are welcomed and appreciated.

Then I'd definitely go for the GTX750ti + the $99 EXP GDC v6.0 (220W ac-adapter + shipping includedi) from yoybuy.com

Thanks for the reply, the GTX 750 Ti is a bit too steep for me, I was actually looking at getting a gtx 650 ti. Thanks for the reply + mentioning yoybuy, they have better deals than aliexpress & ebay for some things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.