eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Many Thanks for Nando4 and Jacobsson

After you gave me an advice, I bought immediately a 1080P LCD from conrad, and got a great result

here is my new result for 3Dmark 06 : 16410 and 3D Mark Vantage : 14093

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO

may I ask a question to Nano4 : Is there actually any benefit to have a lower tolud..? Is a lower tolud can increase bandwidth..? And is there any performance gain if example I buy a GTX 770 or even the Titan compared to my GTX 660 in a pcie 1.1 .? perhaps 20 - 40 % maybe ..?

thanks for your help

That's much better!

Your CPU will always be the bottleneck for gaming, which I assume you are looking for when speaking of GTX770/Titan?

I would not recommend going higher than the GTX660 you have now, since your gaming experience will be limited by the CPU.

Even now your graphics card are lot better rated than the CPU =)

If you're looking for gaming you should consider upgrading your laptop to a PCIe GEN2 one that can hold an Ivy bridge 45W CPU, like the 2570P that I use for instance see my signature.

This laptop can be bought for ~$600 on eBay with a i5 CPU that you can upgrade to a i7 3740QM for another ~$250.

TLDR: If you're looking for high-end gaming, consider buying a notebook with a better CPU.

That's much better!

Your CPU will always be the bottleneck for gaming, which I assume you are looking for when speaking of GTX770/Titan?

I would not recommend going higher than the GTX660 you have now, since your gaming experience will be limited by the CPU.

Even now your graphics card are lot better rated than the CPU =)

If you're looking for gaming you should consider upgrading your laptop to a PCIe GEN2 one that can hold an Ivy bridge 45W CPU, like the 2570P that I use for instance see my signature.

This laptop can be bought for ~$600 on eBay with a i5 CPU that you can upgrade to a i7 3740QM for another ~$250.

TLDR: If you're looking for high-end gaming, consider buying a notebook with a better CPU.

I don't like gamming notebook since it's a big laptop and not mobile

I don't know which would be bottleneck in my system. As you know, I use GTX 660 non Ti and stilln't overclocked. And my CPU is intel i7 640m 2,8Ghz with turbo boost 3,458Ghz. While playing, I see the CPU will be constantly clocked at 3192Ghz

I'm planing buy a used vaio SVZ with i7 3612QM, but after see the spesification, that laptop is suck since no express card. And to use egpu, I need mpcie slot inside the laptop

I don't like gamming notebook since it's a big laptop and not mobile

I don't know which would be bottleneck in my system. As you know, I use GTX 660 non Ti and stilln't overclocked. And my CPU is intel i7 640m 2,8Ghz with turbo boost 3,458Ghz. While playing, I see the CPU will be constantly clocked at 3192Ghz

I'm planing buy a used vaio SVZ with i7 3612QM, but after see the spesification, that laptop is suck since no express card. And to use egpu, I need mpcie slot inside the laptop

I think you misunderstood me, my suggestion was to buy a notebook that is quad-core compatible, preferably Ivy bridge.

I agree, the expresscard slot is super convenient compared to mPCIe.

You could always go for a cheaper build with expresscard slot like the "Clevo W130ev" or maybe a "Fujitsu A532" from eBay.

EDIT: Or the Dell Latitude E6430!

Hello

ive got a couple of questions, it would be appreciated any help!!

Id like to build an egpu (gtx 660ti+pe4l v.2.1b) to mini pcie (wifi slot)

laptop specs: MSI cx61 series, intel i7-3940xm, 16gb ram, samsung 840 ssd 500gb.... the only bottleneck is the gpu: gt 635m+intel 4000HD graphics

Is it possible to make it with a better card... for example gtx 780 or gtx 770?

I don´t understand the following...

1) the pci 2.0 of the pe4l is a bottleneck to pci 3.0 gpu?

2) can the gtx 660 ti run at its maximun capacity?

3) Can it be played on internal display??

Thank you

I think you misunderstood me, my suggestion was to buy a notebook that is quad-core compatible, preferably Ivy bridge.

I agree, the expresscard slot is super convenient compared to mPCIe.

You could always go for a cheaper build with expresscard slot like the "Clevo W130ev" or maybe a "Fujitsu A532" from eBay.

EDIT: Or the Dell Latitude E6430!

By the way, I found something strange with my laptop when it shut down

If I don't remove the eGpu, then my windows willn't shutdown. a little hang on the shutdown screen. I waited it for 5 minutes but stilln't shutting down

If I removed with safety device symbol, then it will do the same thing too

That's why I must push the on/off button and force it to shut down

any advice..?

By the way, I found something strange with my laptop when it shut down

If I don't remove the eGpu, then my windows willn't shutdown. a little hang on the shutdown screen. I waited it for 5 minutes but stilln't shutting down

If I removed with safety device symbol, then it will do the same thing too

That's why I must push the on/off button and force it to shut down

any advice..?

Hmm that only happens to me when I remove the eGPU incorrectly. So when you use the 'device symbol' you see something like this but for audio device?

Hmm that only happens to me when I remove the eGPU incorrectly. So when you use the 'device symbol' you see something like thisbut for audio device?

Already did that method, but still have a same problem

is there something wrong with my system.?

Yeah you should test the card in a friends desktop just to be sure it is still ok.

The PE4L x1 connector is really shitty, but the card should not be able to just slid out, that I'm sure of.

Please report back if the card is functional or not.

I really wish I could help you more.

Thanks for the help.

I tried the card with my parents' desktop, and it seems to work (I just checked to see if it powers on, I didn't bother downloading drivers and actually using it).

They have a small prebuilt desktop, so I had to purchase a PCIe x16 riser. I thought maybe that would give it some stability, so I tried connecting the card to the PE4L again via the riser, and when I turned on the power it started smoking at the PCIe x1 connection ... Maybe I have a bad PE4L?

EDIT: Upon inspection, it appears that I burned out my PCIe riser (unless it came that way).

PE4L-PM060A Package Contents

500w psu

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ 4-Cores

Intel® HM86 Express Chipset

120SSD Kingston hyper

8GB (1x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz SODIMM

and

SAPPHIRE HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR5

ı want to try this system on mini pcı-e(wirelless) but every thing ok ı connectted PE4L-PM060A Package Contents with SAPPHIRE HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR but laptop doesnt see anything frown.png.pagespeed.ce.k7JIVwiiFa.png??

PE4L-PM060A Package Contents

500w psu

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ 4-Cores

Intel® HM86 Express Chipset

120SSD Kingston hyper

8GB (1x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz SODIMM

and

SAPPHIRE HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR5

ı want to try this system on mini pcı-e(wirelless) but every thing ok ı connectted PE4L-PM060A Package Contents with SAPPHIRE HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR but laptop doesnt see anything frown.png.pagespeed.ce.k7JIVwiiFa.png??

Boot with wifi in system, halt OS bootup with F8/F12, poweron the eGPU and carefully hotswap the wifi card with the PM060A connector end, continue OS load. That should at least get the video card detected since it will overcome any mPCIe whitelisting imposed by the BIOS. If you encounter error12 then you may also need Setup 1.x .

Boot with wifi in system, halt OS bootup with F8/F12, poweron the eGPU and carefully hotswap the wifi card with the PM060A connector end, continue OS load. That should at least get the video card detected since it will overcome any mPCIe whitelisting imposed by the BIOS. If you encounter error12 then you may also need Setup 1.x .

Ok I will try this as soon as.so ıf does it work ı must do it every start windows for using egpu?

Does the PCIe x1 connector have issues if you try to deliver too much power to it? The GTX 750 Ti draws power from PCIe alone, so I'm thinking maybe I need a PE4H instead of a PE4L.

Does the PCIe x1 connector have issues if you try to deliver too much power to it? The GTX 750 Ti draws power from PCIe alone, so I'm thinking maybe I need a PE4H instead of a PE4L.

Hi Amad.

Could you please sum up what your findings are from all your troubleshooting so far?

I know that we recently had a user ( @rhx123 ) that sucessfully made an eGPU setup with the GTX750ti.

As I remebered he needed setup 1.x (from @Tech Inferno Fan) and DSDT override to make it work.

Oh, and he also uses the $99 EXP GDC v6.0 (shipping and 220W AC-adapter included) instead of PE4L/PE4H.

Hi Amad.

Could you please sum up what your findings are from all your troubleshooting so far?

I know that we recently had a user ( @rhx123 ) that sucessfully made an eGPU setup with the GTX750ti.

As I remebered he needed setup 1.x (from @Tech Inferno Fan) and DSDT override to make it work.

Oh, and he also uses the $99 EXP GDC v6.0 (shipping and 220W AC-adapter included) instead of PE4L/PE4H.

I haven't been able to get the card to work with the PE4L at all, as in it doesn't power up while connected and any LEDs that were lit up on the PE4L turn off immediately when the card is connected to it. The card doesn't appear to be the problem, as it powered on when connected to my parents' desktop (I didn't download drivers and use it though). My guess is that it needs more than a PCIe x1 connection to power the card (as it doesn't draw power from the PSU directly), and the fact that the EXP GDC uses a x16 connector seems to confirm my suspicions. In addition, the PE4L fried my PCIe riser, which might mean there's too much power being delivered through it and it needs a full length PCIe x16 connection.

EDIT: It appears that there's something wrong with the card. I tried it again at my parents' and while it does power on, the computer cannot recognize it.

Hallo Nando4

By the way I need your help again

For my vaio Z1 Series with schwitchable intel HD + GT330M ( There is a schwitch to change from Nvidia to Intel on the keyboard - Hybrid system )

My question : I did uninstall the driver for GT 330M before I installed the GTX 660. But actually can I Install a same Nvidia driver on my laptop ( one for GTX 660 desktop driver, and one for GT 330M mobile driver )

Would a software crash will occur...?

After I installed GTX 660, then I switch back to GT 300M, the GT 330M didin't recognized the driver

thanks

Hallo Nando4

By the way I need your help again

For my vaio Z1 Series with schwitchable intel HD + GT330M ( There is a schwitch to change from Nvidia to Intel on the keyboard - Hybrid system )

My question : I did uninstall the driver for GT 330M before I installed the GTX 660. But actually can I Install a same Nvidia driver on my laptop ( one for GTX 660 desktop driver, and one for GT 330M mobile driver )

Would a software crash will occur...?

After I installed GTX 660, then I switch back to GT 300M, the GT 330M didin't recognized the driver

thanks

According to the following laptopvideo2go links, driver 334.94 is the latest one that has both GT330M and GTX660 support. If running a newer version then edit in your GT330M into the nvamn.inf file to gain support for it.

LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers (GT330M)

LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers (GTX660)

Already did that method, but still have a same problem

is there something wrong with my system.?

Yeah, something is definitely wrong... Do you power up the eGPU during boot or when you're inside windows?

hi Tech Inferno Fan I did your advice but ı coudnt this I dont know where ı do mistake :( this is video

so.

anybody please tell me why did it do it?

hi Tech Inferno Fan I did your advice but ı coudnt this I dont know where ı do mistake :( this is video
so.

anybody please tell me why did it do it?

You haven't done it correctly. Per previous instructions, boot with the wifi card then halt Win7/8 from loading by pressing F8 or F12. You'll then see the Win7/8 startup boot menu. At that point, power on the eGPU and *carefully* swap the wifi card with the PM3N end of your PE4L 2.1b adapter. Then select the Win7/8 menuitem to allow Win7/8 to continue loading. The swapping of the wifi card to the PM3N has to be done after the BIOS has booted to overcome any mPCIe whitelisting.

Any benchmarks done for this setup?

None as yet unfortunately. Hopeful that someone will volunteer Thunderbolt2 eGPU implementation benchmarks.

I haven't been able to get the card to work with the PE4L at all, as in it doesn't power up while connected and any LEDs that were lit up on the PE4L turn off immediately when the card is connected to it. The card doesn't appear to be the problem, as it powered on when connected to my parents' desktop (I didn't download drivers and use it though). My guess is that it needs more than a PCIe x1 connection to power the card (as it doesn't draw power from the PSU directly), and the fact that the EXP GDC uses a x16 connector seems to confirm my suspicions. In addition, the PE4L fried my PCIe riser, which might mean there's too much power being delivered through it and it needs a full length PCIe x16 connection.

EDIT: It appears that there's something wrong with the card. I tried it again at my parents' and while it does power on, the computer cannot recognize it.

You mention earlier that you tried to fit in some various adapters (before I told you it was 12v) if remember correctly, did you ever managed to power anything with those? :S

"the PE4L fried my PCIe riser"

Do you mean that you've use any additional hardware except for the PE4L itself?

The theory of that the GPU might have drawn to much power from the EC-cable doesn't really make sense, since I have connected a GTX660/GTX670 on the PE4L and forgot adding DC-power a lot of times w/o any damage to the hardware (only PE4L leds lighting up).

One thing I'm thinking about is the pin jumper on the PE4L (located near the wires, beside R5 & R6), maybe just maybe it needs to be in another configuration in order to utilize 5.5/2.5mm DC power. Please don't test this before reading up about it!

What jumper setting are you on right now? (not the SW1/SW2)

You haven't done it correctly. Per previous instructions, boot with the wifi card then halt Win7/8 from loading by pressing F8 or F12. You'll then see the Win7/8 startup boot menu. At that point, power on the eGPU and *carefully* swap the wifi card with the PM3N end of your PE4L 2.1b adapter. Then select the Win7/8 menuitem to allow Win7/8 to continue loading. The swapping of the wifi card to the PM3N has to be done after the BIOS has booted to overcome any mPCIe whitelisting.

None as yet unfortunately. Hopeful that someone will volunteer Thunderbolt2 eGPU implementation benchmarks.

http://i.hizliresim.com/nPrWBl.jpg Do you mean this there .I start with wifi card this there.after that ı swap the wifi card with the PM3N end of your PE4L 2.1b adapter.after selected windows 7. does it true? If ıt work,must I do this every want to using PE4L 2.1b adapter?

You mention earlier that you tried to fit in some various adapters (before I told you it was 12v) if remember correctly, did you ever managed to power anything with those? :S

"the PE4L fried my PCIe riser"

Do you mean that you've use any additional hardware except for the PE4L itself?

The theory of that the GPU might have drawn to much power from the EC-cable doesn't really make sense, since I have connected a GTX660/GTX670 on the PE4L and forgot adding DC-power a lot of times w/o any damage to the hardware (only PE4L leds lighting up).

One thing I'm thinking about is the pin jumper on the PE4L, maybe just maybe it needs to be in another configuration in order to utilize 5.5/2.5mm DC power. Please don't test this before reading up about it!

What jumper setting are you on right now? (not the SW1/SW2)

I didn't try plugging in any other AC adapters (they didn't fit). It seems like the card was already defective in the first place, after trying it with my parents' desktop. Either way, it shot sparks when I plugged it in the first couple times and when I tried using a PCIe riser with it, it fried the riser. I'm shipping the card back this weekend to see if a new one will work.

http://i.hizliresim.com/nPrWBl.jpg Do you mean this there .I start with wifi card this there.after that ı swap the wifi card with the PM3N end of your PE4L 2.1b adapter.after selected windows 7. does it true? If ıt work,must I do this every want to using PE4L 2.1b adapter?

You swap the wifi at that screen, then select Win7 to continue loading. If the video card is now detected then yes, you must do this everytime. Or otherwise use the undo-whitelisting feature of Setup 1.x to provide a mechanism to avoid having to swap the wifi/PM3N.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.