eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

@rhx123

Thanks for your benchmarks! :)

Would you mind looking at device manager to see what's the PCI address space required by the GTX 750 Ti? Older GTX 650 Ti card used to require a higher PCI space than all other nvidias. You will find it out in device manager > GTX 750 TI > Resources. Thanks!

I'm not sure if Setup 1.x changes these though, if you think they looks off I can get my X220 which doesn't need 1.x to run the card and look there.

post-10650-14494997530735_thumb.png

post-10650-14494997530627_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm finding it difficult to understand what you want to confirm.

Are you trying to ask whether it should work, or are you asking others if they have the same success as you?

I'm not sure if Setup 1.x changes these though, if you think they looks off I can get my X220 which doesn't need 1.x to run the card and look there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11472[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11471[/ATTACH]

I think this is enough, no need for the X220. Thanks.

However, this is bad news. :( If I read it correctly, it means a GTX 750Ti needs 16+256+32 MB of PCI address space, which is quite a lot. Same as AMD cards. Anyone can confirm?

Are you folks also successful at running eGPU using internal LCD without any modded.ini or Optimus drivers?

I am trying to let others know that I was able to run a few games on internal LCD straight out of the box GPU(EVGA gtx750ti SC) with standard drivers.

All this talk about running internal LCD ::: Nvidia Fermi cards and Nvidia Verde drivers and modified inf files is the past - DIY eGPU experiences - Page 122

I can confirm : works without old Verde drivers + modified ini. on the newest architecture (Nvidia Maxwell)

Nando speculated this whilst I was troubleshooting, as I need setup 1.x to get the 750Ti to work on my 2570p, but I don't need it to get the 780 or 650Ti working.

I hope this isn't a trend all the Maxwell cards will follow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nando speculated this whilst I was troubleshooting, as I need setup 1.x to get the 750Ti to work on my 2570p, but I don't need it to get the 780 or 650Ti working.

I hope this isn't a trend all the Maxwell cards will follow.

Yeah, that would be extremely irritating!

Yes, its been known for a while that the modern divers work fine without modifications - its usually the PCIe space that trips things up these days.

750Ti is very ideal eGPU, small, quiet, low power consumption, especially for Lenovos as it does not need setup 1.x - as you found out.

However with HP's it uses up too much PCIe space and needs setup 1.x.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is a very detailed PCIe scaling analysis, it also covers our x1.2 case. For both AMD and Nvidia, dx9-dx10-dx11. AMD is better in general, and way better in dx9.

Given the new 256MB PCI address space requirement, the only advantage for Nvidia vgas is the internal screen mode. Am I forgetting anything?

As those tests will have been carried out on a desktop, that wont have active Intel iGPU, the 1x tests wont have benefited from Optimus 1x Compression.

Plus we dont know if 256MB will be for all cards yet. The x50/x50Ti cards have had funky memory requirements in the past too.

Well, for me at least, easy internal screen is more important than fps, at least at this scale.

• Thumbs Up 1

The hijack trick works. Internal display still comes on but only in non-functional 4-bit grayscale. Hope that doesn't damage anything, it's definitely a bit unsettling.

Interesting result when using this method to make space for the eGPU in Windows 8:

After a few days/reboots Windows seemed to accept the 36-bit allocation of the iGPU, so it now runs flawlessly without needing a DSDT override.

Here is a very detailed PCIe scaling analysis, it also covers our x1.2 case. For both AMD and Nvidia, dx9-dx10-dx11. AMD is better in general, and way better in dx9.

Given the new 256MB PCI address space requirement, the only advantage for Nvidia vgas is the internal screen mode. Am I forgetting anything?

Not quite. That PCIe scaling test does not have NVidia's 1 pci-e compression (x1.Opt or x1.2Opt) engaged. With it I've tested a GTX670 against a HD7970 and the lower powered GTX670 beats the pants out of the HD7970 in games like NFS, DirtII/III, FFXIV bench. Only time AMD cards are worth considering is when x1.Opt/x1.2Opt isn't available due to using say a Thunderbolt x2/x4/x8 link, or when the system has no iGPU so can't engage x1.Opt/x1.2Opt, or if need it for bitmining. If a system is x1.Opt/x1.2Opt capable then NVidia is the performance and features king.

I think this is enough, no need for the X220. Thanks.

However, this is bad news. :( If I read it correctly, it means a GTX 750Ti needs 16+256+32 MB of PCI address space, which is quite a lot. Same as AMD cards. Anyone can confirm?

Yes, that GTX750Ti requires 256MB+32MB+16MB in a similar way to AMD or GTX650 cards. That's going to complicate some system's configurations like the Sandy/Ivy Bridge Elitebooks. They would need either Win8 (with a eGPU hijaaking iGPU space via Setup 1.x) or using Win7/8 with a DSDT override + Setup 1.x.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you solve your problem. I have same. .....please tell what I do...

What GPU are you using?

I ended up using a different GPU, although you could try the hijacking trick with setup 1.x (36-bit compaction on igpu, force egpu to 32-bit). Hopefully this will cause dwm to load into the egpu at boot, but I haven't tried.

Hi, I wanted to know if someone on here could help me out? I have an HP 8460p with an Intel Core i5-2520m 2.5Ghz processor with intel integrated graphics, 8GB of DDR3 ram, and I wanted to know if I could set up an eGPU? If I could, what would be the best setup available (GPU/what version of the DIY eGPU is the best- do I need)? I don't want to buy a GPU that would cost alot and give me half performance. I was thinking of picking up a 750ti, R7 260, 7770 or an R9 270. Also, it says my Laptop supports Express Card gen 2.0. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, I am really tired.

Hi, I wanted to know if someone on here could help me out? I have an HP 8460p with an Intel Core i5-2520m 2.5Ghz processor with intel integrated graphics, 8GB of DDR3 ram, and I wanted to know if I could set up an eGPU? If I could, what would be the best setup available (GPU/what version of the DIY eGPU is the best- do I need)? I don't want to buy a GPU that would cost alot and give me half performance. I was thinking of picking up a 750ti, R7 260, 7770 or an R9 270. Also, it says my Laptop supports Express Card gen 2.0. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, I am really tired.

All the cards you've shortlisted are more complex to configure with a 8460P. That is, they need both a DSDT override and Setup 1.x software to get going due to requiring a full contiguous 256MB pcie config space. Furthermore, my testing has found AMD cards are worse performers at x1 2.0 levels, mainly because NVidia cards get x1 pci-e acceleration. NVidia cards better AMD again by providing an accelerated internal LCD mode courtesy of Optimus.

Therefore, the simpler, higher performance and better featured cards for your system that are plug'n'play (have 128MB+ contiguous pcie config space requirements) are a GTX560Ti, GTX660, GTX660Ti GTX670, GTX760, GTX770. I recommend the mini-ITX GTX670/GTX760 by ASUS and MSI due to their compact dimensions. The only regrettable omission from your shortlist is the Maxwell GTX750Ti that packs a large power per watt ratio. I'll leave it to you to decide if the configuration complexity is worth it it for you to have one of those cards.

Hallo TI Expert

I have a little problem here with my 3D mark 06 and 3D mark Vantage score, and need your advice

Firstly here is my specification :

- Vaio VPCZ11C5E with i7 640M cpu HM57 Chipset

- PE4H v2.4 + Ec2C

- OCZ ZT550W PSU

- Asus GTX 660 ( Non Ti )

- The dGpu already turned off permanently through bios

I use this setup with my internal LCD, but the score from both benchmark always <10.000. The 3D Marrk06 result 9839, and the 3D Mark Vantage result 9704 as shown in this link :

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Sony Corporation VAIO

I just don't know what happend, since Nando4 said, that if pcie compression engaged, the score should be minimal >10.000

And for this problem, I already know if the optimus is engaged with optimus tool ( picture attached )

Please help me for this problem and thanks a lot for giving your time ready my post

Additional : I Try playing counter strike global offensive with 1080p resolution, and any anti aliasing, or filtering disabled, and shadow quality very low, But I just get low than 30fps every time, and the cursor even a little laggy.

please give me advice, what should I do

Have you tested different settings i Nvidia control panel?

Set "prefer performace", physx GTX660, also add 3dmark in the program list for nvidia high performance processor. Post your result here.

Hallo TI Expert

I have a little problem here with my 3D mark 06 and 3D mark Vantage score, and need your advice

Firstly here is my specification :

- Vaio VPCZ11C5E with i7 640M cpu HM57 Chipset

- PE4H v2.4 + Ec2C

- OCZ ZT550W PSU

- Asus GTX 660 ( Non Ti )

- The dGpu already turned off permanently through bios

I use this setup with my internal LCD, but the score from both benchmark always <10.000. The 3D Marrk06 result 9839, and the 3D Mark Vantage result 9704 as shown in this link :

I just don't know what happend, since Nando4 said, that if pcie compression engaged, the score should be minimal >10.000

And for this problem, I already know if the optimus is engaged with optimus tool ( picture attached )

Please help me for this problem and thanks a lot for giving your time ready my post

Additional : I Try playing counter strike global offensive with 1080p resolution, and any anti aliasing, or filtering disabled, and shadow quality very low, But I just get low than 30fps every time, and the cursor even a little laggy.

please give me advice, what should I do

Do all your benchmarks using an external LCD. In addition, run Counter Strike on an external LCD. Those Z11 machines have a 1080P LCD so internal LCD mode consumes a significant portion of the x1 bandwidth. Using an external LCD, including disabling the NVidia sound devices ensures the x1 bandwidth is used exclusively for eGPU video traffic.

Do all your benchmarks using an external LCD. In addition, run Counter Strike on an external LCD. Those Z11 machines have a 1080P LCD so internal LCD mode consumes a significant portion of the x1 bandwidth. Using an external LCD, including disabling the NVidia sound devices ensures the x1 bandwidth is used exclusively for eGPU video traffic.

Hallo

thanks for the answer

yes, all the benchmark I did use the internal LCD since I didn't have external lcd

Hallo

thanks for the answer

yes, all the benchmark I did use the internal LCD since I didn't have external lcd

There you go, internal screen has significantly lower performance than the external screen, so your score seems normal.

hi,ıhave

PE4L-PM060A Package Contents

500w psu

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ 4-Cores

Intel® HM86 Express Chipset

120SSD Kingston hyper

8GB (1x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz SODIMM

and

SAPPHIRE HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR5

ı want to try this system on mini pcı-e(wirelless) but every thing ok ı connectted PE4L-PM060A Package Contents with SAPPHIRE HD 5830 Xtreme 1GB GDDR but laptop doesnt see anything :(

must ı setup DIY eGPU Setup 1.x ?

where can ı download it and how can ı setup.?

@jacobsson

Yes, send US$25 donation to Tech Inferno [email protected]. Thank you.

I'm having a little issue with my eGPU setup and was hoping you could help. I can get my eGPU (Nvidia 560 ti) to work on my Lenovo X230T. The problem is it runs at x1.1 instead of 1.2, and I'm not sure if that's the reason that everything I play, regardless of settings, has somewhat of a stutter every now and again. It will play at high fps but will stutter a lot. Any ideas?

Many Thanks for Nando4 and Jacobsson

After you gave me an advice, I bought immediately a 1080P LCD from conrad, and got a great result

here is my new result for 3Dmark 06 : 16410 and 3D Mark Vantage : 14093

may I ask a question to Nano4 : Is there actually any benefit to have a lower tolud..? Is a lower tolud can increase bandwidth..? And is there any performance gain if example I buy a GTX 770 or even the Titan compared to my GTX 660 in a pcie 1.1 .? perhaps 20 - 40 % maybe ..?

thanks for your help

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.