eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Ensure the expresscard slot is enabled in the bios. Boot Windows, power on the eGPU and plug in the expresscard into the expresscard slot, do a device manager scan. Does it detect a new device? If not then it would indicate either a problem with the expresscard slot or the eGPU adapter.

I usually hot plug the eGPU during windows start-up logo, test this too.

If nothing shows up this could be a case of a damaged cable.

Hi,

I m new here. This is a Crosspost, because the NBR forum is nearly dead.

I own a Terry Mobile 1341 Pro, which is a Clevo W130EW Barebone.

Specs:

i7-3632QM

8GB RAM

256GB Samsung 840 Pro

13.3" with 1366*768

Expresscard slot

Also I own a eGPU with GTX 460 and PE4L 2.1b and a XBOX 203W PSU.

I did a DSDT override because I got Error 12.

So, to my probleme:

I only get an x1.1 connection with 2.5Gbps. But all hardware (the chipset and the graphics card) supports x1.2.

How can I force the connection speed to 5Gpbs? Do I really need Setup1.x? And may I get a discount code for setup1.x?

I hope, I will get some useful answers. Thx!

Kind regards

blackydevil

Hey Nando, do you think we can safely assume win8.1 allows 1.2 link with disabled integrated graphics? Something like xp days?

I've now read a few people disabling the iGPU to allow the eGPU sufficient resources to overcome error 12 under Win8. Win8 does differ to Win7 in that it uses WDM 1.2. Rightly so, XP's WDM 1.0 also allowed the primary video device to be deactivated to allow other devices to work. It's only WDM1.1 (Win7) that absolutely required the primary device to be functional for others to work.

Hi,

I m new here. This is a Crosspost, because the NBR forum is nearly dead.

I own a Terry Mobile 1341 Pro, which is a Clevo W130EW Barebone.

Specs:

i7-3632QM

8GB RAM

256GB Samsung 840 Pro

13.3" with 1366*768

Expresscard slot

Also I own a eGPU with GTX 460 and PE4L 2.1b and a XBOX 203W PSU.

I did a DSDT override because I got Error 12.

So, to my probleme:

I only get an x1.1 connection with 2.5Gbps. But all hardware (the chipset and the graphics card) supports x1.2.

How can I force the connection speed to 5Gpbs? Do I really need Setup1.x? And may I get a discount code for setup1.x?

I hope, I will get some useful answers. Thx!

Kind regards

blackydevil

Welcome aboard and thanks for the heads up on the Clevo W130EW. I've added it to the eGPU candidate list.

Did you check if GPU-Z is showing x1 2.0 when you put the eGPU under load? if not, then yes, will need to switch the port into Gen2 mode. Is there a BIOS option to do that? If not, then consider obtaining Setup 1.x to do it. Discount coupones were abolished after HIT stole development donations as detailed.

Did you check if GPU-Z is showing x1 2.0 when you put the eGPU under load? if not, then yes, will need to switch the port into Gen2 mode. Is there a BIOS option to do that? If not, then consider obtaining Setup 1.x to do it. Discount coupones were abolished after HIT stole development donations as detailed.

Thank you for your quick response!

GPU-Z shows only x1.1 under load. and there is no bios option for activating Gen2 mode. Thanks for information about the coupons.

Will setup1.x defintly work for activating 1.2? Is it complicated to setup setup1.x with windows and linux on one disk? Are future updates included when purchasing setup 1.x?

Regard

blackydevil

Thank you for your quick response!

GPU-Z shows only x1.1 under load. and there is no bios option for activating Gen2 mode. Thanks for information about the coupons.

Will setup1.x defintly work for activating 1.2? Is it complicated to setup setup1.x with windows and linux on one disk? Are future updates included when purchasing setup 1.x?

Regard

blackydevil

Sorry to hear there is no BIOS facility to switch the expresscard slot into Gen2 mode. Setup 1.x will definitely switch the port to Gen2. As long as you have a MBR partitioning scheme it is very easy to install. In your case you could install it either as a Windows bootmgr menuitem or as a grub2 bootloader menuitem. Yes, a donation for Setup 1.30 will get any updates in the 1.3x branch for free.

I've now read a few people disabling the iGPU to allow the eGPU sufficient resources to overcome error 12 under Win8. Win8 does differ to Win7 in that it uses WDM 1.2. Rightly so, XP's WDM 1.0 also allowed the primary video device to be deactivated to allow other devices to work. It's only WDM1.1 (Win7) that absolutely required the primary device to be functional for others to work.

Hey Tech Inferno Fan does that mean some performance gain over Windows 7? I mean having eGPU fully running under Windows 8?

I decided to look around to make sure my computer was even able to run an external GPU and found I have hit a wall. I flashed my BIOS to the newest version (like 2.67 or something?) but my TOLUD is 3.5 GB (dfa00000). I thought the BIOS update was supposed to fix this? I only have 8GB of RAM so the 16GB problem shouldn't affect me either? Anyone know what might be wrong?

When reading some forums I saw that people who updated their BIOS were able to fix their problem as long as they only had 8 gigs of ram, which is why im confused I still have DFA00000.

Can someone confirm or deny this statement I found?

"The latest X230 bios per X230 expresscard adressing (eGPU) - Page 3 - Lenovo Community does change TOLUD to allow an eGPU to be accomodated in 32-bit pci-e address space *if* it detects an eGPU during bios bootup. Meaning you must have powered on the eGPU and have it attached to the X230T before powering on the X230T. Ensure too the PCI Reset Delay jumper (SW1) is set to position 1 (0 seconds) so it doesn't add any detection delay."

If this is true, it will only be dfa00000 until I plug in the new eGPU in.

Whelp. My top notch quality internet is out. So a minor update for now.

Any good external fps loggers and whatnot? Much better than me just mentally logging (and forgetting) the fps.

Testing will be done in the "Test Range" for now.

From the 30 seconds I was able to play, It seemed to have better frame rate with DX11.1 rather than Mantle. Of course 30 seconds of playtime isn't worth much.

Hopefully I will regain Internet, but I doubt it. So assume testing will be done tomorrow, which also means I can test DX11.1 vs Mantle both as an eGPU and on a desktop (my last part comes in tomorrow).

----

SIDE NOTE:::

You CAN disable the iGPU in Win8. I had to due this due to horrendous bugs in BF4.

I will do testing on this in benchmarks to see if that helps with eGPU performance.

Whelp. My top notch quality internet is out. So a minor update for now.

Any good external fps loggers and whatnot? Much better than me just mentally logging (and forgetting) the fps.

Testing will be done in the "Test Range" for now.

From the 30 seconds I was able to play, It seemed to have better frame rate with DX11.1 rather than Mantle. Of course 30 seconds of playtime isn't worth much.

Hopefully I will regain Internet, but I doubt it. So assume testing will be done tomorrow, which also means I can test DX11.1 vs Mantle both as an eGPU and on a desktop (my last part comes in tomorrow).

Did you test a AMD card with the BF4 patch and Catalyst 14.1? Details of using Mantle in BF4 are at Mantle renderer now available in Battlefield 4 - News - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Did you test a AMD card with the BF4 patch and Catalyst 14.1? Details of using Mantle in BF4 are at Mantle renderer now available in Battlefield 4 - News - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

R9 280X with Catalyst 14.1. I have the onscreen infos showing that it is in fact using Mantle as the renderer.

I am able to switch between both DX11.1 and Mantle.

---

Results (sorta kinda):

I can only use log parts of what is going on. Since Mantle is a new thing, I can't log fps and whatnot with an external program.

Little chart action::

DirectX 11.1

Mantle

P12H37U.png

The CPU usage has dropped some while using Mantle. And yes, it is noticeable. The framerate (unloggable) is upwards of 10+ fps higher than DX11.1.

So yes! Mantle is a noticeable improvement from DX11.1 for those with AMD cards.

Tomorrow (perhaps), I will test the same thing, but in a desktop. I will use the same GPU, but of course the CPU would be different. We are more concerned about the change in performance rather than exact numbers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good day!

I have a laptop HP EliteBook 8470p (B6Q22EA) with a graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7570M

PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) + 2Gb DDR- 5 Sapphire <radeon r9="" 270="" dual-x="" oc="" with="" boost=""> (RTL) DualDVI + HDMI + DP + Crossfire

When connecting PE4H put R9 270 driver , after reboot AMD Radeon HD 7570M works ( with discharge resolution and color to a minimum level ), and R9 270 is shown with an error in the hardware manager .

Please suggest whether this configuration is buildable , AMD Radeon HD 7570M + RADEON R9 270 ? I think they clash at the driver level .

Decide whether to use the problem Setup 1.30?

Or simply consider purchasing GTX660 ( for example) and this card will work without problems?

P.S. Instead tried to use RADEON R9 270 RADEON HD 4870, also use a laptop HP Probook 4530s with integrated graphics card and switchable ATI - the result is negative .

If you disable the ATI card on HP Probook 4530s with the card RADEON HD 4870 PE4H I got 12 errors , but the attempt failed DSDT correction (I can not get rid of errors at compile :( )

I'm sorry for my english

</radeon>

Good day!

I have a laptop HP EliteBook 8470p (B6Q22EA) with a graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7570M

PE4H-EC060A V3.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter) + 2Gb DDR- 5 Sapphire <radeon r9="" 270="" dual-x="" oc="" with="" boost=""> (RTL) DualDVI + HDMI + DP + Crossfire

When connecting PE4H put R9 270 driver , after reboot AMD Radeon HD 7570M works ( with discharge resolution and color to a minimum level ), and R9 270 is shown with an error in the hardware manager .

Please suggest whether this configuration is buildable , AMD Radeon HD 7570M + RADEON R9 270 ? I think they clash at the driver level .

Decide whether to use the problem Setup 1.30?

Or simply consider purchasing GTX660 ( for example) and this card will work without problems?

P.S. Instead tried to use RADEON R9 270 RADEON HD 4870, also use a laptop HP Probook 4530s with integrated graphics card and switchable ATI - the result is negative .

If you disable the ATI card on HP Probook 4530s with the card RADEON HD 4870 PE4H I got 12 errors , but the attempt failed DSDT correction (I can not get rid of errors at compile :( )

I'm sorry for my english

</radeon>

Based on previous experience with Elitebooks you'd have two solutions to consider depending on which OS you are running

Win7 [WDM 1.1]: (1) require a unified driver that covers both the HD7570M + R9 270, eg http://leshcatlabs.net/ .Then you'd require a DSDT override and Setup 1.30 to get the eGPU allocated into 36-bit PCI config space. or (2) NVidia GTX660 will probably be OK with it's lower PCI config space requirements without needing DSDT override or Setup 1.30.

Win8 [WDM 1.2]: disable the dGPU/iGPU to free up resources for the eGPU to overcome error 12. Means you won't be able to run them concurrently unless resort to actions like for Win7.

Based on previous experience with Elitebooks you'd have two solutions to consider depending on which OS you are running

Win7 [WDM 1.1]: (1) require a unified driver that covers both the HD7570M + R9 270.Then you'd require a DSDT override and Setup 1.30 to get the eGPU allocated into 36-bit PCI config space. or (2) NVidia GTX660 will probably be OK with it's lower PCI config space requirements without needing DSDT override or Setup 1.30.

Win8 [WDM 1.2]: disable the dGPU/iGPU to free up resources for the eGPU to overcome error 12. Means you won't be able to run them concurrently unless resort to actions like for Win7.

Thank you!

I work with Win7. I will try the proposed solutions and be sure to tell about the result.

Thank you!

I work with Win7. I will try the proposed solutions and be sure to tell about the result.

Greatest success - error 12. And HP EliteBook 8470p configuration graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7570M + PE4H-EC060A V3.2 + R9 270, and in the configuration of HP Probook 4530s with RADEON HD 4870 card in the device PE4H-EC060A V3.2.

I can not get rid of the error when compiling a file with the extension DSL to a file with the extension ASL!

Please suggest whether to be relieved of my file dsdt.dsl errors?

If not here, then where can I get help?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If DSDT correction does not solve my problem, please confirm that only Setup 1.30 solve my problem.

dsdt.zip

Greatest success - error 12. And HP EliteBook 8470p configuration graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7570M + PE4H-EC060A V3.2 + R9 270, and in the configuration of HP Probook 4530s with RADEON HD 4870 card in the device PE4H-EC060A V3.2.

I can not get rid of the error when compiling a file with the extension DSL to a file with the extension ASL!

Please suggest whether to be relieved of my file dsdt.dsl errors?

If not here, then where can I get help?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If DSDT correction does not solve my problem, please confirm that only Setup 1.30 solve my problem.

I can confirm that only setup 1.3 solved my problem (black screen hang issue) on my 8440p. I would recommend setup 1.3 just for its handiness.

I find it highly likely setup 1.3 would fix you error 12.

I found a way that the eGPU works!

Boot into Setup 1.3, Menu Based

64bit address room for the iGPU

Force 32bit room to the eGPU

chainload windows and VOILA! The eGPU works. Now my iGPU has error 12 but who cares? :D

I'm gonna test it some further ;)

Thx everyone, especially Tech Inferno Fan!

Can I do these steps in Setup 1.2? I installed Windows 8 but just can't to get the .aml file. I'm kinda giving it up.

Thanks for your help

EDIT: Hey guys, I don't why but I decided to just plug the GTX 660 and install the drivers. It showed the GFX with error 13 (I can't remember) asking me to restart. After some tries, I plugged the GFX before turning on the laptop, then went into setup 1.2, enabled gen2, then chainloaded without any compaction at all. AND IT'S WORKING. GPU-Z gives me the @2.0 with Physx and all enabled. I guess I'm some real lucky guy lol

I'm going to do tests and play some BF4.

I can confirm that only setup 1.3 solved my problem (black screen hang issue) on my 8440p. I would recommend setup 1.3 just for its handiness.

I find it highly likely setup 1.3 would fix you error 12.

I took the opportunity to return Palit GTX660 card for testing and first saw the image on the connected monitor. But the design of the chip card GTX660 powered top makes the idea PE4H useless. Housing is not closed and all weakly secured. I will continue to try to run the AMD products. All hopes Setup 1.3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.