eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Does it show up in device manager at all? You might have a resource allocation issue. Do you have Setup 1.x? If so, does it detect your eGPU? If the thumb drive works, then connection wise it might be fine. Just a software issue (perhaps).

No... It doesn't show up anywhere. Is there a trial version of the Setup 1.x I could test with? I was hoping not to put any more money into this project, at least not until it worked :)

Hey guys,

I have a question about CPU cooling. Ok correct me if I'm wrong but for laptop, the CPU and dGPU does share the same heat sink right? So if i disabled the dGPU then the fan won't be cooling the dGPU and also the CPU right? Because when I play games, my CPU temp is burning up. I tried to manually control the fan speed with 3rd party programs but it only increase the fan speed of my eGPU. Any suggestion? Thanks.

I've opened up my y580 a number if times the only way to adjust the fan is to manually sever the two other wires but leaving the positive and negative to the fan, thus the fan will run at full speed. You can .attach a switch to return the fan to normal function once you deactivate the dGPU the fan should have less work to do as it is only cooling the CPU. Not sure what is wrong with yours.

I'd be interested because xp is still my main os (for working purposes), so even if I have a dual boot with win7 x64 (which I actually never use) I'd be very glad to play dx9 games on xp. My machine is a Lenovo E520, by the way.

Can't run your applications from within win7? With win7 pro or higher you have xp mode available. XP is going to be no longer supported soon, you should start looking to upgrade to a modern os.

No... It doesn't show up anywhere. Is there a trial version of the Setup 1.x I could test with? I was hoping not to put any more money into this project, at least not until it worked :)

You would have to talk to @Tech Inferno Fan about this. There is no trial version I'm aware of.

I've opened up my y580 a number if times the only way to adjust the fan is to manually sever the two other wires but leaving the positive and negative to the fan, thus the fan will run at full speed. You can .attach a switch to return the fan to normal function once you deactivate the dGPU the fan should have less work to do as it is only cooling the CPU. Not sure what is wrong with yours.

My fan is a 3-wire. I did this lol:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/3437-thoughts-how-fix-insanely-hot-laptop-75c-idle-100-c-load-2.html#post59136

Works quite well, don't have to open it up for full fan speed.

Maybe I need to put a switch just like you said. Thanks by the way!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I guess you'll have to take off the wifi card but just to make sure take a look again and see if there isn't another mPCIe slot (convenient if you want to play online games). You'll have to make a DSDT ovveride because there isn't enough memory allocation for the eGPU or you'll get a "error 12". That would be the last thing before drivers install. I think so. Do you have a power supply (PSU)?

I will purchase one I dont have any now same time I will purchase the GPU :-) The point is to prepare it well to be sure it will work. You are right first point is to check if I have an available mPCIe slot.

I will purchase one I dont have any now same time I will purchase the GPU :-) The point is to prepare it well to be sure it will work. You are right first point is to check if I have an available mPCIe slot.

Yes that's the best thing to do :)

i has an question regard power source, i read it in another forum that too much of voltage/amp can destroy the parts, is it only happen to laptop charger or you has to be careful when choosing PC PSU as well ? Say i want to use something like this Huntkey 450W, which can double as part when i build a new PC, would there be any incident ? I rather concerned about this matter since i had to change my card twice because bad power source.

i has an question regard power source, i read it in another forum that too much of voltage/amp can destroy the parts, is it only happen to laptop charger or you has to be careful when choosing PC PSU as well ? Say i want to use something like this Huntkey 450W, which can double as part when i build a new PC, would there be any incident ? I rather concerned about this matter since i had to change my card twice because bad power source.

The components will only take the power they need. You won't overpower anything by having a larger power supply. I use a 550W PSU for my eGPU. You could even use a 1000W if you wanted, there will be no harm.

You might be thinking of overvolting a component or forcibly sending it too many amps. But PSUs are smart enough to not do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello again,

I posted with this problem back on page 217 but I didn't get a response (which is understandable, because my question was somewhat jumbled)

I bought a new HDMI cable, which was what I suspected to be the problem, and the eGPU is still stubbornly undetected. This time, I tried plugging a USB thumb drive into the PE4H, which was detected and showed up on the OS as would be expected.

Has anyone heard of the PE4H itself being bad? I could probably return and replace it if it's likely to be the problem.

I think I'll conclude my post here in an effort to not confuse my question. I'm happy to try anything you guys have to suggest (including but not limited to standing on my head and singing the alphabet backwards. But you'll have to convince me it will help ;))

Thanks,

Sompom

Yes, there have been faulty PE4H units. Plugging in a USB stick into a PE4H and having it detected is not an indicator of a working PE4H. The USB part of a PE4H is pretty much a direct line to the USB controller. It does nothing to test the pci-e lane(s) on the PE4H. That's the part that must be working for a video card to be detected.

The Huntkey PSU has 12V1/16A and 12V2/18A. As a dual-rail PSU you'd need something like a PE4H 3.2 to be able to use all of it. Otherwise a PE4L 2.1b will use only use only part of the the power. We can estimate it to be 12V1/16A (192W). If intending to use it with a PE4L 2.1b then suggest look at a Corsair CX430 PSU instead which has a single 12V/32A (384W) rail and is only $25AR. CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

• Thumbs Up 1

The components will only take the power they need. You won't overpower anything by having a larger power supply. I use a 550W PSU for my eGPU. You could even use a 1000W if you wanted, there will be no harm.

You might be thinking of overvolting a component or forcibly sending it too many amps. But PSUs are smart enough to not do that.

Yes, there have been faulty PE4H units. Plugging in a USB stick into a PE4H and having it detected is not an indicator of a working PE4H. The USB part of a PE4H is pretty much a direct line to the USB controller. It does nothing to test the pci-e lane(s) on the PE4H. That's the part that must be working for a video card to be detected.

The Huntkey PSU has 12V1/16A and 12V2/18A. As a dual-rail PSU you'd need something like a PE4H 3.2 to be able to use all of it. Otherwise a PE4L 2.1b will use only use only part of the the power. We can estimate it to be 12V1/16A (192W). If intending to use it with a PE4L 2.1b then suggest look at a Corsair CX430 PSU instead which has a single 12V/32A (384W) rail and is only $25AR. CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

The PSU i picked are simply just an example of overkill option, angerthosenear's answer are satisfying enough for me, but thank you nando for your technical support, as i said, i plan to get an PSU with intention to use in new PC rig later so a little overboard is no issue.

Just noticed that my PE4H is only PCIe gen 1, bummer. Should have gone with PE4L-EC060A instead. Guess that Setup 1.x and its x2 connection is unavoidable if i want more juice out of my card then

The PSU i picked are simply just an example of overkill option, angerthosenear's answer are satisfying enough for me, but thank you nando for your technical support, as i said, i plan to get an PSU with intention to use in new PC rig later so a little overboard is no issue.

Just noticed that my PE4H is only PCIe gen 1, bummer. Should have gone with PE4L-EC060A instead. Guess that Setup 1.x and its x2 connection is unavoidable if i want more juice out of my card then

I'm having some trouble with the eGPU, after the error 12, error 43 appeared. I couldn't manage to solve it. So I decided to reinstall setup 1.2 since it previously created a drive from which it could operate. And that drive always showed an mounting error on windows startup.

I formated the drive. Ran the setup1.2 install but an error came: Cannot create eGPU-setup-120.img.

Since files were already extracted on C:, I just ran the setup, but then it hangs

Should I mount the Setup 1.x image and create devcon.txt (recommend Y=YES)? [N,Y

]?Y

[eGPU-Setup-mount]: Attempting to mount eGPU-Setup-120.img as v:

I hope I won't have to reinstall Windows.

EDIT: AFter just leaving the setup-mount step by logging off and restarting the PC, the v-drive has mounted. Now I have a v-drive empty...

EDIT2: Ok Setup finishes but the mounted drive is still empty

I'm having some trouble with the eGPU, after the error 12, error 43 appeared. I couldn't manage to solve it. So I decided to reinstall setup 1.2 since it previously created a drive from which it could operate. And that drive always showed an mounting error on windows startup.

I formated the drive. Ran the setup1.2 install but an error came: Cannot create eGPU-setup-120.img.

Since files were already extracted on C:, I just ran the setup, but then it hangs

Should I mount the Setup 1.x image and create devcon.txt (recommend Y=YES)? [N,Y

]?Y

[eGPU-Setup-mount]: Attempting to mount eGPU-Setup-120.img as v:

I hope I won't have to reinstall Windows.

EDIT: AFter just leaving the setup-mount step by logging off and restarting the PC, the v-drive has mounted. Now I have a v-drive empty...

EDIT2: Ok Setup finishes but the mounted drive is still empty

Error 43 just means you have no driver installed. This usually means you are really close to have it fully working. Aka it's good that you see error 43 after you usually have error 12.

Make sure v: is unmounted, possible disable the diyegpusetup mount from startup. reboot computer. then uninstall, delete the c:\eGPU\ folder (backup your pci.bat, startup.bat if you want), then reinstall Setup 1.x

• Thumbs Up 1

Error 43 just means you have no driver installed. This usually means you are really close to have it fully working. Aka it's good that you see error 43 after you usually have error 12.

Make sure v: is unmounted, possible disable the diyegpusetup mount from startup. reboot computer. then uninstall, delete the c:\eGPU\ folder (backup your pci.bat, startup.bat if you want), then reinstall Setup 1.x

Yaaay thanks for your answer that did it. I had to delete the eGPU folder in safe mode. Reinstalled setup 1.2 and everything is all right. Thank you so much.

EDIT: hey @angerthosenear, my eGPU setup is kinda acting weird. Same issue happened, I plug the HMDI through ExpressCard, black screen then fans start spinning like hell and I get error 43. I'm not sure what exactly I've done but I removed the HDMI cable and plugged it back and that solved the issue. It's good that it's working but I feel it's unstable. I should also mention that I got a new CPU, but I'm not sure that it's the cause.

Yaaay thanks for your answer that did it. I had to delete the eGPU folder in safe mode. Reinstalled setup 1.2 and everything is all right. Thank you so much.

EDIT: hey @angerthosenear, my eGPU setup is kinda acting weird. Same issue happened, I plug the HMDI through ExpressCard, black screen then fans start spinning like hell and I get error 43. I'm not sure what exactly I've done but I removed the HDMI cable and plugged it back and that solved the issue. It's good that it's working but I feel it's unstable. I should also mention that I got a new CPU, but I'm not sure that it's the cause.

Woo! Glad you got that figured out.

What is your boot sequence like?

turnon->Setup 1.x-> (compaction and stuffs) -> chainload os -> ??? (blackscreen here?)

What adapter are you using? PE4H or PE4L or something else? The face you replugged to fix might just mean you had a bad connection, I get the same full fan speed issue if the eGPU power cycles while my computer is on.

Once you get to the OS are you able to install the eGPU driver (nvidia card? if so I would try driver 327.02 - I can confirm this is a stable driver for eGPU)

Then reboot and see what happens. Hopefully that driver will rid of your error 43 and such.

@angerthosenear well actually

turnon->Setup 1.x-> (compaction and stuffs) -> chainload os -> plug eGPU --> blackscreen

Now the blackscreen isn't the issue, I always had it and I think it meant that monitoring is switched from iGPU and handled by eGPU.

After the blackscreen the eGPU fans start spinning like at 100% and there's error 43. But anyways it's like it's working right now so I won't bother you with it. Thanks again.

PS: I have the PE4L 2.1

... I should also mention that I got a new CPU...

So what did you get! I am thinking of sticking a 2960XM in but wondering if I will melt the board... :nightmare:. Has anyone ever tried putting a 55 Max TDP CPU in a laptop chassis that's supposed to be rated for 45 Max TDP only? I understand I need to get a bigger power supply, and do fun stuff with the heat sink and fan, but wondering if the delivery system can take it.

Btw, I uploaded a few pics of my setup (I updated my original post - link in my sig). I think I need a larger desk now haha.

Hello,

I'm currently hesiting between purshasing the rmbp late 2013 and air 2013.

So i would like to know witch of these computer will be the best to use an egpu.

I saw that there is an existing solution for the macbook air here : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4271-2013-11-macbook-air-win7-sonnet-echo-expresscard-pe4l-internal-lcd-%5Bus%24250%5D.html

But I would like to know if there is an existing solution to the rmbp that allow to play on the inboard screen.

I would like to know if the thunderbot 2 is ( or will be ) used , and if it will really increase performance.

Thank you.

PS : I m sorry for my english, it s not my mother tongue.

Hey guys!

I'm struggling with error 12 in this setup:

apple rMBP 15" 2012 + Sonnet Echo Express se Thunderbolt-to-PCIe + PCIe riser mod 8x to 16x + AMD Radeon R9 290 (have 6770 too) + win7 BIOS + nando's Setup 1.3

I know that some people were successful with 13" rMBP and Sonnet EEse, but looks like my 15" is a different beast.

It has dGPU only (no iGPU!) in bios mode and all compaction methods fail!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

So what did you get! I am thinking of sticking a 2960XM in but wondering if I will melt the board... :nightmare:. Has anyone ever tried putting a 55 Max TDP CPU in a laptop chassis that's supposed to be rated for 45 Max TDP only? I understand I need to get a bigger power supply, and do fun stuff with the heat sink and fan, but wondering if the delivery system can take it.

Btw, I uploaded a few pics of my setup (I updated my original post - link in my sig). I think I need a larger desk now haha.

I did to a Latitude E6520. Short turbo boost only went up to around 60W, but it would sustain 55W indefinitely if I kept it cool enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys!

apple rMBP 15" 2012 + Sonnet Echo Express se Thunderbolt-to-PCIe + PCIe riser mod 8x to 16x + AMD Radeon R9 290 (have 6770 too) + win7 BIOS + nando's Setup 1.3

I know that some people were successful with 13" rMBP and Sonnet EEse, but looks like my 15" is a different beast.

I don't own a MACBook but I'm pretty sure you have an iGPU. What's your CPU?

Hey guys!

Hello, post us some pictures. Like setup 1.x after entering menu based, and after each compaction.

Details on your entire setup will help as well. I'm thinking it might be allocation, and could use a DSDT Override.

Show use some pics from windows of the display adapters allocated address as seen in:

device manager -> display adapters -> choose your igpu/dgpu/egpu -> properties -> resources -> memory range.

Preferably of any compaction you tried.

Do some setting not boot? Like compacting everything at 4GB.

Edit: I've just seen you said any compaction method fail, how so? are you sure tried all the options in the order

showing in the help menu?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.