eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Yes; I thought it was since it is listed here http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-LIFEBOOK-AH532.pdf; maybe it's not how can I verify?

it's strange. it should works fine, are You sure that CPU is not broken? when You swap CPU back does it work on i5?

also i want to put egpu on my new alienware m15x is it possible?

You don't have ExpressCard or Thunderbolt but You have mPCI-e so it is possible.

Hi I'm new here and looking forward to know if my mother board is supporting eGPU. I'm very interested in and get a bit lost. Maybe because I discover the site :)

what kind of laptop do You have? BTW everything is explained on the first page.

it's strange. it should works fine, are You sure that CPU is not broken? when You swap CPU back does it work on i5?

I have a i3 and yes when I put it back everything runs fine. I admit it's a bit strange.

Hi, I’m new to gpus in general and am trying to setup an egpu. I am using a gtx 660 and can’t get it to work. I keep getting errors 12 (and sometimes 43). I’m running windows 7 on a Lenovo x230 with 4gb of ram. Also I’m using a 300 watt power supply with 18 amps on the 12V rail. I’ve tried a few things but I’m pretty new to this stuff and am not sure what to do. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

You don't have ExpressCard or Thunderbolt but You have mPCI-e so it is possible.

Excuse me sir the m15x has an expresscard slot :D. But i have an i7 720qm or 740qm. Let me know if it would work and also play it on internal lcd

- - - Updated - - -

Thank Bjorm I have a Sony Vaio VPCZ217GH i7 2620M intel HD3000 8Gb. This is a model of 2012. Thank also I have found some additional information in this post :)

Sir, You can also get it to work on internal lcd if you get a kepler/fermi compatible card such as the 660/660ti and 550ti. Cheers!

EDIT: Please do not consider this post, or read only the first few lines. Solved issue from remaking a DSDT override. I saw that error 12 in devices so I understood where it was coming from :33_002:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG I guess this is my unlucky day, after the CPU that does'nt work now it's the eGPU that is having troubles.

Trying to make the CPU work I took apart the laptop to find the CMOS that I took off and plugged back in. (that didn't change anything BTW).

Turned on the PC so I could play some BF3. Let me explain to you how my PC act after I plug in the eGPU through ExpressCard:

- plug in sound

- screen freezes then goes black

- connection lost (must reconnect)

Then I have my functionnal Gen2 eGPU.

Since when I tried, I plug the eGPU and that's all none of the black screen or whatsoever. I go to GPU-Z, no gen2 link, no clocks, take a look at attached.

I hope there's a workaround, I tried reinstalling drivers, but no changes.post-14575-14494996668603_thumb.gif

here is BF4, Multi, FHD + medium. Operation: blockade, 64x64. This often shots of fps it's when I was shot.

I reserved rights for this post and plot. Don't use it anywhere else without my permission.

[ATTACH]9882[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the graph bjorm! So compared to my 660 and 3615qm, your system does seem to get a boost in performance. A 760 could probably net be a constant 60fps if I turn a few settings to low but kept most on medium. If I bought a 670, medium should get me a constant 60fps.

Hi, I’m new to gpus in general and am trying to setup an egpu. I am using a gtx 660 and can’t get it to work. I keep getting errors 12 (and sometimes 43). I’m running windows 7 on a Lenovo x230 with 4gb of ram. Also I’m using a 300 watt power supply with 18 amps on the 12V rail. I’ve tried a few things but I’m pretty new to this stuff and am not sure what to do. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

X230, X230i & X230T expresscard adressing (eGPU) - Lenovo Community . If still get error 12 or error 43 then http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html#post27337 .

Excuse me sir the m15x has an expresscard slot :D. But i have an i7 720qm or 740qm. Let me know if it would work and also play it on internal lcd

Not possible in the traditional Nvidia Optimus way as the i7-720QM/i7-740QM never had an iGPU. Suggest you investigate if a downgrade to a i5/i7 dual-core engages the iGPU on those. If not, then suggest offload the m15x for a faster Gen2 capable system with an iGPU. Good budget options being a 12" HP 2560P/2570P, 14" -HP 4430s-Lenovo E420/T420-Dell 3450/E6420 or 15" HP 4530s-Lenovo E520/T520-Dell-3550/3560/E6520/E6530/E6540. See full list at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159

OMG I guess this is my unlucky, after the CPU that does'nt work now it's the eGPU that is having troubles.

Trying to make the CPU work I took apart the laptop to find the CMOS that I took off and plugged back in. (that didn't change anything BTW).

Turned on the PC so I could play some BF3. Let me explain to you how my PC act after I plug in the eGPU through ExpressCard:

- plug in sound

Since when I tried, I plug the eGPU and that's all none of the black screen or whatsoever. I go to GPU-Z, no gen2 link, no clocks, take a look at attached.

I hope there's a workaround, I tried reinstalling drivers, but no changes.[ATTACH]9888[/ATTACH]

VBIOS isn't being recognised. Try reflashing the BIOS with a copy from Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp .

You might need Setup 1.x to allocate PCI space for your eGPU, this is usually the fix for error 12. Error 43 indicates no driver. See my guide post in my sig if you have trouble following the main page.

Hey guys,

I have a question about CPU cooling. Ok correct me if I'm wrong but for laptop, the CPU and dGPU does share the same heat sink right? So if i disabled the dGPU then the fan won't be cooling the dGPU and also the CPU right? Because when I play games, my CPU temp is burning up. I tried to manually control the fan speed with 3rd party programs but it only increase the fan speed of my eGPU. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Usually only one fan in your laptop, not a separate one for CPU and dGPU (unless you have a larger / higher-end laptop). I can't software control my fan.

@angerthosenear, well installing XP is quite a pain on this laptop, I'll try it whenever I have some time @samiirds again I don't have much time, but yes I plug the fans to the power rail

Hey guys the i7-3632QM I've ordered came and after install and bios update, it doesn't run, I have a black screen only..

Laptop: Fujitsu AH532 i3-3120M

Any particular reason why you want to run winXP instead of 7/8.1 ?

EDIT: Please do not consider this post, or read only the first few lines. Solved issue from remaking a DSDT override. I saw that error 12 in devices so I understood where it was coming from :33_002:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG I guess this is my unlucky, after the CPU that does'nt work now it's the eGPU that is having troubles.

- plug in sound

I hope there's a workaround, I tried reinstalling drivers, but no changes.[ATTACH]9888[/ATTACH]

I see you edit now that I clicked reply.... Sometimes your eGPU will be Gen1 when not under load but swap to Gen2 while under load. Have GPU-Z open and visible while running a game or something and see if it swaps to Gen2.

----

You are such a ninja @Tech Inferno Fan ....

• Thumbs Up 1

X230, X230i & X230T expresscard adressing (eGPU) - Lenovo Community . If still get error 12 or error 43 then http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html#post27337 .

Not possible in the traditional Nvidia Optimus way as the i7-720QM/i7-740QM never had an iGPU. Suggest you investigate if a downgrade to a i5/i7 dual-core engages the iGPU on those. If not, then suggest offload the m15x for a faster Gen2 capable system with an iGPU. Good budget options being a 12" HP 2560P/2570P, 14" -HP 4430s-Lenovo E420/T420-Dell 3450/E6420 or 15" HP 4530s-Lenovo E520/T520-Dell-3550/3560/E6520/E6530/E6540. See full list at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159

VBIOS isn't being recognised. Try reflashing the BIOS with a copy from Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp .

so no way i can use an egpu on m15x while it plays on internal lcd ( my computer has nvidia 460m )

so no way i can use an egpu on m15x while it plays on internal lcd ( my computer has nvidia 460m )

Only the hack Chung-Gun/Ultramon methods given on the first post that allow *windowed* apps to be dragged over to the internal LCD. There you'd not be able to drag full-screen apps over. You'd also miss out on Optimus' x1 pci-e compression so would see greatly diminished DX9 performance with a NVidia card. That could only be corrected on your box if it's x2 capable where you'd combine mPCIe+EC or mPCIe+mPCIe ports to double bandwidth.

Overall though if I had your machine I'd offload it for a better eGPU candidate as mentioned in my last reply. Eg: A 15" HP Probook 4530s can be had for little money on ebay, is a Sandy Bridge system with an iGPU and a Gen2 expresscard slot, can be upgraded to a i7-quad and can have a 1080P LCD panel retrofitted. A 4530s gives excellent eGPU performance. I believe you'd find your m15x eGPU performance to be unacceptable compared to the GTX460M dGPU even.

Thanks for the response. I tried the BIOS update to no avail (still getting error 12). I'll try setup 1.x next. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Also thanks to angerthosenear for the driver info.

Only the hack Chung-Gun/Ultramon methods given on the first post that allow *windowed* apps to be dragged over to the internal LCD. There you'd not be able to drag full-screen apps over. You'd also miss out on Optimus' x1 pci-e compression so would see greatly diminished DX9 performance with a NVidia card. That could only be corrected on your box if it's x2 capable where you'd combine mPCIe+EC or mPCIe+mPCIe ports to double bandwidth.

Overall though if I had your machine I'd offload it for a better eGPU candidate as mentioned in my last reply. Eg: A 15" HP Probook 4530s can be had for little money on ebay, is a Sandy Bridge system with an iGPU and a Gen2 expresscard slot, can be upgraded to a i7-quad and can have a 1080P LCD panel retrofitted. A 4530s gives excellent eGPU performance. I believe you'd find your m15x eGPU performance to be unacceptable compared to the GTX460M dGPU even.

It has an igpu just found out sir. also 2 mpcie and 1 mxm slot

It has an igpu just found out sir. also 2 mpcie and 1 mxm slot

i7-720QM/i7-740QM has no iGPU. For Optimus to engage on a M15x R2 you'd need a dual-core i5/i7 (with iGPU) and the BIOS would need to enable and route the iGPU to the internal LCD. A quick google search suggests the M15x R2 only has the dGPU routed to the internal LCD.

Sure your system might be x2 capable (check if your ports meet the criteria). However, an x2 eGPU implementation is more costly (PE4H 2.4 + mPCIe/EC or mPCIe/mPCIe + Setup 1.x) due to requiring more parts, more configuration tinkering and is more cumbersome to start as need to access the underside of the system to attach cables. Even then you'd only be running x2 1.0, which is slower than x1.2Opt. x1.2Opt is what you'd get with a Sandy/Ivy bridge system with an iGPU using only a single cable.

So then I'd recommend once again offloading your machine for a faster, more battery efficient and better Sandy/Ivy Bridge eGPU candidate. With the lower eGPU cost and factoring in offloading your current system, you might find the final solution might be cheaper than extending the existing M15x R2 too. It will outperform it by a considerable margin.

Hello again,

I posted with this problem back on page 217 but I didn't get a response (which is understandable, because my question was somewhat jumbled)

I bought a new HDMI cable, which was what I suspected to be the problem, and the eGPU is still stubbornly undetected. This time, I tried plugging a USB thumb drive into the PE4H, which was detected and showed up on the OS as would be expected.

Has anyone heard of the PE4H itself being bad? I could probably return and replace it if it's likely to be the problem.

I think I'll conclude my post here in an effort to not confuse my question. I'm happy to try anything you guys have to suggest (including but not limited to standing on my head and singing the alphabet backwards. But you'll have to convince me it will help ;))

Thanks,

Sompom

Hello again,

I posted with this problem back on page 217 but I didn't get a response (which is understandable, because my question was somewhat jumbled)

I bought a new HDMI cable, which was what I suspected to be the problem, and the eGPU is still stubbornly undetected. This time, I tried plugging a USB thumb drive into the PE4H, which was detected and showed up on the OS as would be expected.

Has anyone heard of the PE4H itself being bad? I could probably return and replace it if it's likely to be the problem.

I think I'll conclude my post here in an effort to not confuse my question. I'm happy to try anything you guys have to suggest (including but not limited to standing on my head and singing the alphabet backwards. But you'll have to convince me it will help ;))

Thanks,

Sompom

Does it show up in device manager at all? You might have a resource allocation issue. Do you have Setup 1.x? If so, does it detect your eGPU? If the thumb drive works, then connection wise it might be fine. Just a software issue (perhaps).

---

Stands on head.

Starts singing

zʎxʍʌnʇsɹbdouɯlʞɾᴉɥƃɟǝpɔqɐ

Any particular reason why you want to run winXP instead of 7/8.1 ?

I'd be interested because xp is still my main os (for working purposes), so even if I have a dual boot with win7 x64 (which I actually never use) I'd be very glad to play dx9 games on xp. My machine is a Lenovo E520, by the way.

Sir, You can also get it to work on internal lcd if you get a kepler/fermi compatible card such as the 660/660ti and 550ti. Cheers!

Thank you; I checked my mother board is from Sony Bios: INSYDE and Chipset HM67. My external graphic card is an ATI Radeon 6650M.

Sorry to ask but 660ti is that about the motherboard type or graphic card type ?

Thank you; I checked my mother board is from Sony Bios: INSYDE and Chipset HM67. My external graphic card is an ATI Radeon 6650M.

Sorry to ask but 660ti is that about the motherboard type or graphic card type ?

The 660ti is the graphic card (GPU), the 6650M is discrete graphic card and not external. What is you CPU, and do you have an ExpressCard slot?

The 660ti is the graphic card (GPU), the 6650M is discrete graphic card and not external. What is you CPU, and do you have an ExpressCard slot?

My cpu is an intel core i7 2620 I don't have a ExpressCard slot. I think that my discrete graphic card is a intel HD3000 in the CPU.

My cpu is an intel core i7 2620 I don't have a ExpressCard slot. I think that my discrete graphic card is a intel HD3000 in the CPU.

The Intel HD3000 is the integrated graphic card. You can actually run the eGPU on the internal screen because you have a Intel HD that allows Optimus to switch from it to the eGPU (external GPU).

Now if you don't have the Expresscard slot you probably have the mPCIe (it's a wifi device slot). But that would mean you'll have to open the laptop in order to plug the eGPU setup.

The Intel HD3000 is the integrated graphic card. You can actually run the eGPU on the internal screen because you have a Intel HD that allows Optimus to switch from it to the eGPU (external GPU).

Now if you don't have the Expresscard slot you probably have the mPCIe (it's a wifi device slot). But that would mean you'll have to open the laptop in order to plug the eGPU setup.

Thank you yes I think I have a mPCIe (I have wifi on). Does it mean to remove the wifi card by an other one to manage eGPU ?

Aso Is that requires some software to be installed in addition of the graphic card drivers or did ti work by itself ?

Thank you yes I think I have a mPCIe (I have wifi on). Does it mean to remove the wifi card by an other one to manage eGPU ?

Aso Is that requires some software to be installed in addition of the graphic card drivers or did ti work by itself ?

I guess you'll have to take off the wifi card but just to make sure take a look again and see if there isn't another mPCIe slot (convenient if you want to play online games). You'll have to make a DSDT ovveride because there isn't enough memory allocation for the eGPU or you'll get a "error 12". That would be the last thing before drivers install. I think so. Do you have a power supply (PSU)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.