eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hello together,

i have a working eGPU setup now with the help of you in this forum and especially with help of Tech Inferno Fan ... so thx for it.

Last little problem i have is that after chainloading from Setup 1.x software into Windows 8 (8.1) with the deactivated dGPU my Windows have to (re)install the nVIDIA drivers every time and wants another reboot. After that all is fine in the device manager until i do a reboot without the eGPU and work with the regular rig setup. Nex time i start Windows with the eGPU ... "you have to reboot the system to finish ....". Sombody knows what to do and can help me with this?

My rig is a Lenovo T530 with HD4000 + nVIDIA NVS5400 + eGPU nVIDIA 760. Is'nt it possible to run the dGPU with the Quadro Optimus drivers and the eGPU with the regular Geforce driver like i do? Do i have to install one driver for both cards?

Thanks & greets from Dresden

Power draw from my eGPU MSI Lightning GTX 680 in furmark.

-snip-

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

You really shouldn't try furmark, it's only good to burn VRMs, actually I don't think it's very risky on a lightning thanks to its good design and nice amount of vrms, but a reference GTX 680 at 285W could be in danger.

I have a friend who burnt his 780 with this crapware at 160% of power limit, that was rougly 400W though.

You really shouldn't try furmark, it's only good to burn VRMs, actually I don't think it's very risky on a lightning thanks to its good design and nice amount of vrms, but a reference GTX 680 at 285W could be in danger.

I have a friend who burnt his 780 with this crapware at 160% of power limit, that was rougly 400W though.

So he finally burnt that thing up? So sad to see such pretty hardware die like that. That's insane though, 400W power draw.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello together,

i have a working eGPU setup now with the help of you in this forum and especially with help of Tech Inferno Fan ... so thx for it.

Last little problem i have is that after chainloading from Setup 1.x software into Windows 8 (8.1) with the deactivated dGPU my Windows have to (re)install the nVIDIA drivers every time and wants another reboot. After that all is fine in the device manager until i do a reboot without the eGPU and work with the regular rig setup. Nex time i start Windows with the eGPU ... "you have to reboot the system to finish ....". Sombody knows what to do and can help me with this?

My rig is a Lenovo T530 with HD4000 + nVIDIA NVS5400 + eGPU nVIDIA 760. Is'nt it possible to run the dGPU with the Quadro Optimus drivers and the eGPU with the regular Geforce driver like i do? Do i have to install one driver for both cards?

Thanks & greets from Dresden

If your laptop handles the eGPU similar to mine... then checkout the Guide I slapped together in my sig. I have the eGPU running with standard drivers and the dGPU running with the GeForce driver (Quadro NVS 4200M running with the GT 520M driver (might be the GT 530M I forgot). This allows my dGPU to do PhysX operations.

Pretty much just install the eGPU driver, then install the dGPU driver after that. Should hopefully work.

Hmm so now I installed everything and I put my gtx 760 as eGPU, dm detected vga, but its not changing to nvidia gtx 760

Drivers were already up to date and I also tried to manually update the drivers again but didnt work

If you need more information please let me know.

Hmm so now I installed everything and I put my gtx 760 as eGPU, dm detected vga, but its not changing to nvidia gtx 760

Drivers were already up to date and I also tried to manually update the drivers again but didnt work

If you need more information please let me know.

Uninstall drivers for eGPU, use driver sweeper maybe in safe mode, reboot, and try again installing nvidia drivers.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ok I got it to show up now,

But I need it to work on internal screen.

I really dont get the part of installing Optimus and the nvam,inf files..

What do I do with the .inf files?

And does it actually work with the GTX 760?

My dGPU is GT 520M

Ok I got it to show up now,

But I need it to work on internal screen.

I really dont get the part of installing Optimus and the nvam,inf files..

What do I do with the .inf files?

And does it actually work with the GTX 760?

My dGPU is GT 520M

Is it because I need the setup 1.x?

Now my Nvidia controlplanel is not opening..

It get an error saying I dont have any Nvidia controlplanels

Eventhough I have 2

one GT520M dGPU

two GTX 760 eGPU

does this happen often? and how could I solve it?

Both cards are dedected by device manager and GPU-Z software

--

semi off-topic:

If a stock card is rated for 195W, why would it pull more than that when under load? aka why dos it pull more than rated? (even though it is stressed). Is there a % of over-pull to estimated like for computer builds (looking to build a desktop with two GPUs).

Power supplies have inefficiencies. Different power supplies also have different efficiency ratings. A power supply with an 80% power efficiency rating that's powering something that requires 195W would also use up an additional 39W which is bled off as heat from the power supply. At 80% efficiency, 234W of power would be required to power something that requires 195W. That's getting closer to the 285W, but that's also assuming that the card is running at absolutely full-tilt of 195W, which it likely isn't.

It could also be that because in the eGPU world you're only powering a video card, the PSU could actually be running less efficiently than it is actually rated at since these power ratings are completed while running a full system, not just the 12V lines that these eGPU setups require. The amount of load on a PSU also changes the amount of efficiency provided, typically anywhere between 40-60% load is where a PSU is most efficient and typically at 1% and 100% you're at the lowest efficiencies.

It is important that people do not confuse what the power supply is able to provide and how much power is actually being drawn from the grid to provide that power.

--- Just my two cents from a hardware guru who has lurked this forum for a long time, waiting for some decent convertibles that can be used with eGPUs.

Could someone please help me on the above issues please? I am sorry to be posting a lot, but I am really stuck and reading a lot online, tried many things but I still dont get optimus to work and my nvidia controlpanel says I dont have any nvidia cards at all so it wont open.

Now my Nvidia controlplanel is not opening..

It get an error saying I dont have any Nvidia controlplanels

Eventhough I have 2

one GT520M dGPU

two GTX 760 eGPU

does this happen often? and how could I solve it?

Both cards are dedected by device manager and GPU-Z software

This usually means you don't have the desktop driver (for your eGPU) installed.

My procedure for installing / upgrading drivers goes like this:

Uninstall eGPU

Reboot

Uninstall dGPU

Install eGPU

Reboot

Install dGPU

Hopefully something might be working at that time.

You will more than likely need Setup 1.x (from your post it seems like you don't have it?)

You will use that to perform compaction. This should have everything working (after a few hours of fiddling lol).

Thank you for you answer.

I still cant open nvidia's controlplanel.. I tried what you said and I am using the desktop version of the driver for eGPU

Are you getting any errors in device manager? Error 12 or 43?

For me:

Error 12 - fiddle with compaction and it should be resolved

Error 43 - driver issue

---

If not, I'm clueless. I had your same issue (of not being able to open nvidia control panel). I ended up having error 43 in device manager.

Hi guys, i wonder if anyone having error 12 for Asus K53SV?

I'll be using the PE4L-EC060A adaptor for the set up.

But do i have to run Setup 1.1 first for this particular notebook?

I did saw someone using this exact notebook for eGPU in one of these threads, but i cant recall his forum name to ask :(

Hi guys, i wonder if anyone having error 12 for Asus K53SV?

I'll be using the PE4L-EC060A adaptor for the set up.

But do i have to run Setup 1.1 first for this particular notebook?

I did saw someone using this exact notebook for eGPU in one of these threads, but i cant recall his forum name to ask :(

I don't know for your particular model laptop. But error 12 tends to be a resource allocation issue. So yes, you will probably have to run Setup 1.1 (or the current 1.2) to get rid of that error.

Hiya angerthosenear, Thankyou for the quick reply.

But could you help me check my TOLUD to see if its possible to run eGpu with my system without memory allocations?

Cause the process to allocate memory is kinda confuse me. Unless its an auto run software :D

Here is the screenshot of my Device Manager.

post-19054-14494996293595_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys, this is my first time posting so bear with me. First of all I want to say that you guys are awesome! If not for this community, my laptop would have been in the PC graveyard by now. I had read, researched, and learned a lot from this forum and online. I didn't even know you can do an eGPU last week. :) To give back to the community, I want to share my DIY project.

Laptop:

Thinkpad E420

i5 2430M

8 GB RAM

eGPU Setup:

GTX 560 Ti

550W PSU

PE4L-EC100A 2.1b (a.k.a 100cm cord length) - FYI, I originally planned to buy the PE4L-EC150A (150 cm), but the seller said it may not be stable at Gen2 due to the length of the mini HDMI cable. This is a very useful piece of advise I want to share for people looking to a longer cable.

The components will be arriving in a week, and while waiting, I ended up sketching my table design. It allows POWER and MOBILITY!!! Check out the pics below. Hope you guys like it. :)

Table design:

Black laptop table --- only costs $5 on sale courtesy of my thoughtful wife :-)

Custom mouse pad --- built it myself and it is fold-able too. Costs more than the table itself.hehe

The PSU and video card will be mounted in the backside. I'm still debating the best material to build the cage from.

post-19063-14494996296906_thumb.jpg

post-19063-1449499629669_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello guys, sorry for asking this, but I'm not really good with these power consumption requirements, so I would like to ask, I bought a radeon R9 280X recently and it is on its way, so now I am looking forward to buy a power supply, according to the spec sheets, the GPU needs a 750W PSU, but since I'm in a tight budget, is it okay for me to use a lower PSU like 650W?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

is it okay for me to use a lower PSU like 650W?

Yes ofc, when the manufacturer says that you need xxxW they mean with total system.You will be running only the card.

Your card has 250w power cosumption so you can use lower psu.Just check that psu has sufficent amperage on rails.

But could you help me check my TOLUD to see if its possible to run eGpu with my system without memory allocations?

Cause the process to allocate memory is kinda confuse me. Unless its an auto run software :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9388[/ATTACH]

No idea how to check the TOLUD or anything of that sort. Setup 1.x is pretty much auto run software. You have to fiddle with settings a little bit, but it isn't overly intensive to setup/figure out. I know there are some videos somewhere that can assist with the install / setup process.

Hello guys, sorry for asking this, but I'm not really good with these power consumption requirements, so I would like to ask, I bought a radeon R9 280X recently and it is on its way, so now I am looking forward to buy a power supply, according to the spec sheets, the GPU needs a 750W PSU, but since I'm in a tight budget, is it okay for me to use a lower PSU like 650W?

750W is recommended for an entire system. You should be fine with a well built 450W, possibly even less.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes ofc, when the manufacturer says that you need xxxW they mean with total system.You will be running only the card.

Your card has 250w power cosumption so you can use lower psu.Just check that psu has sufficent amperage on rails.

Okay! Thank you so much for the information.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9388[/ATTACH]

Your TOLUD is 3GB. You do not need to do a DSDT override and it is unlikely that you will need to run compaction. An eGPU will likely be plug and play.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.