eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Z565 uses a RS880 chipset so the expresscard slot will have a Gen2 x1 2.0 link. In which case you should select either a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b or a PE4H-EC060A 3.2, both with a soldered mHDMI cable. Earlier versions using socketted mHDMI cables only support pci-e 1.x (Gen1), contrary to what their website says. Answers to your other questions are covered in the DIY eGPU experiences [version 2.0] initial post.

Thanks for the reply!

Will I need to buy a power adapter for the PE4L or will the 430 watt power supply do it for me? I'm wondering because I don't know if I need to power the little board AND the video card or just the video card via the power supply I'm buying.

Also, should I just get a ATI GPU or Nvidia? I'm seeing mixed opinions and I don't exactly see my laptop on the list.

Hello I've got a simple question what will I need to setup egpu for my notebook? I want to use graphics card like radeon hd 7750 or 7770 is it overkill? I know that 7770 would run well games on my external 1080p monitor but will be express card port be sufficient for that card?

Edit: I've got Hp elitebook 8460p

Hello I've got a simple question what will I need to setup egpu for my notebook? I want to use graphics card like radeon hd 7750 or 7770 is it overkill? I know that 7770 would run well games on my external 1080p monitor but will be express card port be sufficient for that card?

Edit: I've got Hp elitebook 8460p

You didn't read the first page at all did you?

Go read the first page, then so a search for a thread for a successful Elite book implementation. I seem to recall someone with a 15" managed a very successful setup.

Wrapping the cable in aluminium foil could work?

But from what I've read so far in this matter, the issues are not related to interferences, they seems solely to poor connections/connectors, like the connectors don't properly clamp with enough force/area of contact on the wires, things like that.

Here's an interesting solution for powering an egpu with a power brick to increase portability:

330 Watt Power Supply (For X51 and M18X systems):

Amazon.com : Dell Alienware M18x 330W AC Adapter XM3C3 ADP-330AB B DA330PM111 : Laptop & Netbook Computer Chargers & Adapters : Computers & Accessories

DC Andromeda Jack

Genuine Dell 2YG07 Alienware X51 Andromeda DC Jack Cable Assembly | eBay

Andromeda Power Board

Dell D0HY5 Alienware X51 Andromeda Power Board Assembly | eBay

Now from what I can tell the power brick provides the 330W via 19.5v @ 16.9A and is converted on that power board to the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V lines. Not sure how many amps are carried on that 12V rail but it potentially can provide more juice than the Xbox 360 PSU (203W) and the most powerful picoPSU (196W). Kind of an expensive solution but I thought I'd go ahead and throw it out there.

Thoughts?

Yes, way too expensive, why don't you go with a Meanwell or Meanwell like power supply?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I've already got an ATX PSU that I'm happy with and don't plan on switching anytime soon. I just stumbled on it while browsing and thought it was an interesting solution --- especially if you want to use a high-end card and be mobile at the same time.

Never heard of Meanwell though....I'll have to take a look at their stuff.

Hey guys got all of my equipment ordered! I was wondering how long it took you guys to get your PE4L in the mail??

Also I got this great power supply for $20 after rebate! Great deal I believe and I invite you all to check it out

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Hi all

I am about to purchase the needed things for an DIY eGPU but first I have a few things I would like to ask.

I have the following laptops: Thinkpad T61, T500 and T410 all with integrated graphics. I am guessing my best bet would be to use the eGPU with the T410 due to it has an I7 cpu. However It would be great if I could also use it on my T500, would that be possible?

I have been looking at the PE4L v2.1b and PE4H v2.4a and I am really not sure which one I should by? The PE4H is around 30 USD more expensive than the PE4L.

Your help is much appreciated!

Hi all

I am about to purchase the needed things for an DIY eGPU but first I have a few things I would like to ask.

I have the following laptops: Thinkpad T61, T500 and T410 all with integrated graphics. I am guessing my best bet would be to use the eGPU with the T410 due to it has an I7 cpu. However It would be great if I could also use it on my T500, would that be possible?

I have been looking at the PE4L v2.1b and PE4H v2.4a and I am really not sure which one I should by? The PE4H is around 30 USD more expensive than the PE4L.

Your help is much appreciated!

Both T410 and T500 have expresscard slot right (just made a quick google)?

Then you should go for the PE4L-EC060A since it's GEN2 and cheaper.

I have one my self.

- - - Updated - - -

It takes about a week to ship from Hong kong to Sweden, so you could expect something in that range.

Hello everybody and thank you for your work.

Lenovo E520, Sandy Bridge, Intel HD3000, TOLUD=2.75Gb

PE4H 2.4a, express card set to Gen1 in BIOS. So I am running x1 link.

eGpu GTX560 OC - almost got crazy before realized correct power wiring

PSU 430W (looks like not enough for top performance)

I had to disable Virtual WiFi miniport adapters (never used anyway and error 12 gone now) and wait until system is ready before enabling eGPU.

Basically, card is recognized by the system and I can access NVidia control panel and set applications like p.135

3DMark Vintage (first test, Jade Nash):

iGPU: about 3-5fps (or 0-5 :)

eGPU: about 10-12 fps and crash at test 3 (probably the PSU issue).

Now, I am using ProcessExplorer to check the eGPU memory usage during the game (online MMO, no extreme textures) and can see that the only difference is eGPU memory usage, iGPU memory is untouched. The problem is, I only get 8fps at any quality settings (okay, 14 at lowest :D ). And I am a little surprised, because 3DMark runs faster.

Now, at the moment I have my external screen connected to my laptop.

And, of course, the problem.

I am switching my external monitor to eGpu and my system hangs. I can see the primary monitor switch to external monitor, can see secondary on my laptop screen and rotating mouse busy. I can't even start task manager, when I disconnect the monitor my system goes back after a while without any problems. I "think" it may by a driver or smth caller dwm.. dws or smth like that, but I am not sure. I tried with the older GT630 and have same symptoms.

Any of you have ideas what the problem is? Help is very appreciated (settings @ nvidia control panel?).

PSU 430W (looks like not enough for top performance)

I had to disable Virtual WiFi miniport adapters (never used anyway and error 12 gone now) and wait until system is ready before enabling eGPU.

Basically, card is recognized by the system and I can access NVidia control panel and set applications like p.135

3DMark Vintage (first test, Jade Nash):

iGPU: about 3-5fps (or 0-5 :)

eGPU: about 10-12 fps and crash at test 3 (probably the PSU issue).

Now, I am using ProcessExplorer to check the eGPU memory usage during the game (online MMO, no extreme textures) and can see that the only difference is eGPU memory usage, iGPU memory is untouched. The problem is, I only get 8fps at any quality settings (okay, 14 at lowest :D ). And I am a little surprised, because 3DMark runs faster.

Now, at the moment I have my external screen connected to my laptop.

And, of course, the problem.

I am switching my external monitor to eGpu and my system hangs. I can see the primary monitor switch to external monitor, can see secondary on my laptop screen and rotating mouse busy. I can't even start task manager, when I disconnect the monitor my system goes back after a while without any problems. I "think" it may by a driver or smth caller dwm.. dws or smth like that, but I am not sure. I tried with the older GT630 and have same symptoms.

Any of you have ideas what the problem is? Help is very appreciated (settings @ nvidia control panel?).

You plugged the external monitor into the laptop and not the eGPU? The whole point of using an external monitor is to bypass the limited PCI-E link between the card and the laptop, while using the internal screen requires burdening this small link even more by sending the rendered data back to the laptop. Plugging the monitor into the laptop is like using the internal screen.

You plugged the external monitor into the laptop and not the eGPU? The whole point of using an external monitor is to bypass the limited PCI-E link between the card and the laptop, while using the internal screen requires burdening this small link even more by sending the rendered data back to the laptop. Plugging the monitor into the laptop is like using the internal screen.

That's the problem. It crashes when I plug the monitor. And I think I figured out why, while trying to solve the 3DMark crash. That Intel device/setting panel for screen were complaining during the test about screen resolution and I kicked it from tray. So now it works (although, monitor is not recognized all the time) and seems to work faster.

That "Intel thing" most likely not recognized that the primary monitor has changed and were trying to set the old one, not supported by new primary screen.

That's the problem. It crashes when I plug the monitor. And I think I figured out why, while trying to solve the 3DMark crash. That Intel device/setting panel for screen were complaining during the test about screen resolution and I kicked it from tray. So now it works (although, monitor is not recognized all the time) and seems to work faster.

That "Intel thing" most likely not recognized that the primary monitor has changed and were trying to set the old one, not supported by new primary screen.

The intel control panel should not matter because it will only see displays directly connected to the IGP. You should not be connecting the monitor to the IGP. You should be connecting it to the eGPU. When connected to the eGPU the monitor appears under the Nvidia control panel.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting data, but I completely disagree with the conclusion. Sure - the 3dmark11 score is significantly higher with the i7QM CPU than the i5M, but the graphics score is largely independent of the CPU used (i.e. graphically, the 760 is way ahead):

GTX560ti (i5 vs i7) scores 4402 vs 4420 graphics and 3844 vs 6709 physics

GTX760 (i5 vs i7) scores 7440 vs 7445 graphics and 3630 vs 6128 physics

So the graphics score is largely independent of the CPU used and the i7 is better for physics. the GTX760 is around 70% higher scoring for graphics alone.

If you look at the detailed scores, you can see that the graphics test scores are similar for each card, irrespective of the CPU used, but when graphics and physics are enabled, you get a better result with the i7. The raw graphics numbers on the GTX760 are around 70% higher than that of the GTX560ti (30+fps vs 20+fps)

From the data presented, I'm guessing that you've got physics set to CPU (as advised in first post of this thread), and my conclusion is instead: If you want physics enabled, then get an i7QM, otherwise there's little point getting anything better than a GTX560ti. If you can avoid physics (which you might need to do for decent framerates anyway), then there is tangible benefits from a GTX760.

The 3dmark tests are terribly inaccurate when compared to real games. Real games are much more CPU intensive than 3dmark.

Hi,

I accidently stumbled upon diy egpu and I was instantly intrigued. I use several laptops, mostly small ones with igpus.

So I have pulled the trigger and decided to initially make a setup for my thinkpad x220. (hd3000 igpu, sandybridge chipset)

The idea is to make the setup as small and portable as possible, perfomance is of secundary concern.

I do some mild gaming, mostly blizzard games, which will run good on low/mid gpu's.

The components I have selected:

- PE4L 2.1b with express adapter and soldered cable ($58, already ordered and shipped)

- Low profile Zotac GTX650, this card only uses 64w and will be solely powered by the pci lane.(~$100, pending suggestions)

I will decapitate the vga part of the mounting bracket, lowering the height more. Very small and low power.

zt-61008-10m_image1.jpg

- Uknown enclosure of own making, as small as possible ofcourse, thinking black aluminium, small perf'd vent holes matching thinkpad look.

- Yet unselected ac power adapter, need some help with this.

About the power adapter, is there a goto proven ac power adapter for the PE4L? The 12v output is somewhat limiting. I have access to a large variety of laptop adapters at work (HP, toshiba, lenovo..etc) but all are in the 15-20v range.

I am hesitant to buy a "universal" adapter or import a "high quality replacement" from china. I think clean power is very important, bad psu is an underestimated cause of errors and issues.

Ideally I want, high efficiency, low ripple NR, proven brand in a small package. I assume a 90w quailty adapter would drive the 75w pci lane well, but more watt is no problem. Price is secunday concern. Ideally no soldering on the wires needed.

I have ofcourse googled but its kind of tricky, the 12v part results in lots of bad hits with car stuff and converters.

Am I going the right way?? :saturn: Plz advice.

Okay so I got everything in but.. Nothing is happening.. Everything is plugged up correctly. I have the ATX 24 pin in the little board, PSU is plugged in to the wall. Everything is hooked up to the graphics card but nothing happens but I switch any switch in any combination.

EDIT: I have this floppy adapter hooked up to the PE4L assuming that it would power it instead of having to have the 12V DC jack, but still nothing.

Hello,

I have a Fujitsu T900 running Windows 8 with a first gen core i7 and 4 GB of RAM. It has a mPCIe for the wireless I think and a Express Card 54. I want to get a GTX 760 and am wondering what setup I would need and which would be better: 1.Opt or 2.x speeds? I'm confused by a lot of what's said in the introduction on the first page, so forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about. :P

It's very true that real game benchmarking is the only benchmarking that matters - though most games are still not particularly multi-threaded, so the CPU isn't that significantly a bottleneck (you'd still see a significant improvement for a GTX760 over a GTX560ti). Physics is exactly the kind of thing that can be easily multi-threaded and hence explains how the 3dmark combined test is massively CPU-bound.

Of course - I should link to evidence for my claims...

Both T410 and T500 have expresscard slot right (just made a quick google)?

Then you should go for the PE4L-EC060A since it's GEN2 and cheaper.

I have one my self.

- - - Updated - - -

It takes about a week to ship from Hong kong to Sweden, so you could expect something in that range.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.