eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Pardon my slow reply, but there is an option for it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8198[/ATTACH]

It sadly doesn't show WHICH GPU is doing PhysX, but it does show if a GPU or CPU is doing PhysX. This is saddening for people like me who have iGPU+dGPU+eGPU. But at least it tells you something.

Oh I missed that one, thanks!

I'll test this next time i run BL2 or Chivalry :)

- - - Updated - - -

No one able to help me with this error ?

[PCI BUS section NOT found. If you are using a non-English language, than please edit the v:\config\devcon.txt file and remove the "PCI BUS" section. Otherwise that *whole* section will be excluded from allocation when performing compaction and compaction will fail.]

As far as I can tell, there's no "PCI BUS" section in my txt file.

I think this might be a @Tech Inferno Fan related question, sorry that I can't help you!

Any Thunderbolt news on the horizon? I've just bought a MacBook Air and the iGPU is obviously far from decent desktop cards.

I have a GTX 560Ti I can use, but from what I've collected there aren't really any good solutions available since the TH05 were recalled?

Any Thunderbolt news on the horizon?

Sadly no,but at this moment the best cost effective solution is thunderbolt Sonnet Echo express card adapter used with pe4l.

It should still give you very decent performance.

Any Thunderbolt news on the horizon? I've just bought a MacBook Air and the iGPU is obviously far from decent desktop cards.

I have a GTX 560Ti I can use, but from what I've collected there aren't really any good solutions available since the TH05 were recalled?

Yes sir you are correct. The ($70-90) TH05 was discontinued and yet no replacement :(

Their are other TB-solutions with very limited enclosures (both in size and power) that costs $400-1000.

If you are very lucky you might find a good deal of a used TH05 on ebay, although the ones I've seen has been around ~$400.

I wish you good luck and I hope you find one!

Best regards,

Niclas

EDIT: @Frula I forgot about the sonnet echo! But aren't the TB cables CRAZY expensive?

• Thumbs Up 1

You can buy on ebay/amazon original apple cable for 20-25$ and belkin at around 45$.

Alright, so let's add up the total:

Echo SE: ~$235 (incl. shipping) + PE4L2.1B: ~$90 (incl. shipping) + TB-cable: $20 = $345 <- And all this for the graphics adapter only, no enclosure, no power supply.

Too bad is so expensive for TB users :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, so let's add up the total:

Echo SE: ~$235 (incl. shipping) + PE4L2.1B: ~$90 (incl. shipping) + TB-cable: $20 = $345 <- And all this for the graphics adapter only, no enclosure, no power supply.

Too bad is so expensive for TB users :(

Guess I'll wait then, doesn't sound too tempting to fork out that much + the cost of a enclosure right now. I'll go ahead and upgrade the small 64GB SSD instead. :)

Guess I'll wait then, doesn't sound too tempting to fork out that much + the cost of a enclosure right now. I'll go ahead and upgrade the small 64GB SSD instead. :)

I'm sorry dude, but keep an eye out for used TH05's on eBay!

I'm sorry dude, but keep an eye out for used TH05's on eBay!

I'll be sure to do that.

On the same subject: Are there any benchmarks done on the MacBook Air 11" mid 2012 (using the 1,7GHz i5 CPU)? I'm guessing no since it's not mentioned in the first post of this thread.

I'll be sure to do that.

On the same subject: Are there any benchmarks done on the MacBook Air 11" mid 2012 (using the 1,7GHz i5 CPU)? I'm guessing no since it's not mentioned in the first post of this thread.

I didn't find anything either, but you should ask @google_peace, according to his thread he has a Macbook Air 2012 - 8Gb + TH05 + gtx560 + eGPU Setup 1.x.

Hope you find something!

Hi I am trying to set up an eGPU for my laptop but keep running into the same issue.

Setup

Laptop :- Msi CX623 (Windows 7, 4GB ram)

GPU :- Nvidia GTX 560 ti via PE4H 2.4a

PSU :- Corsair AX750

The eGPU is detected and runs well, until put under heavy load for about 5 minutes, at which point it corrupts, then black-screens or blue-screens.

I have looked at the standard trouble shooting guide but am not sure what to do next.

Power wise I bought a CX430M for the setup, but a friend has now given me an AX750 to test the system with and it has not made any difference.

I have tried setting jumper on the PE4H as suggested and initially thought this would solve the issue, but this has made no difference either.

I have tried a clean install of the drivers, and I have just been using standard Nvidia Drivers and have not used any other software solutions at this point as it seems like a hardware issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

I successfully got my eGPU config up and running.

HP 8460p w/ iGPU HD3000

• PE4L-EC060A V2.1b
  • MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition w/Twin Frozr cooler
  • PC P&C Silencer 500w PSU (80 PLUS BRONZE)

Everything worked just as the forum FAQs indicated. I have one glitch in that the bios is currently locked and I believe the PC card slot is running at PCIE 1 instead of 2.0. HP is sending me a boot USB to unlock the bios then I can verify and change it to 2.0. Does the Nvidia Optimus compression operate at both pcie 1.1 and 2.0? Or do I have to wait until I can set the slot to 2.0 to see that compression?

post-14816-14494995754991_thumb.gif

I benchmarked as is and will run them again after I can get the slot configured for 2.0. Still a huge improvement over the internal HD3000.

Cloud Gate| 3DMark Vantage | 3DMark11

with HD3000 2982 | P2112 | ---------

with eGPU 9538 | P15791 | P5669

Asus g55 and g75 I think never got thunderbolt. It was featured in press and got some coverage but it was just a marketing lie. Those notebooks had no thunderbolt, ever.

Also the iGPU is missing on those notebooks, only Nvidia GPU exists so no optimus.

And third thing, those notebooks are everything but not light. Those are huge and heavy desktop replacements.

The list is sorted from thin and light to heavy duty. You will also see that most of recommended the green-marked laptops are just that, thin and light.

Regarding thunderbolt, you have a couple of ASUS systems (confirmed from our stores in Sweden), for example: Asus G75 & ASUS G46VW.

For the "switchable graphics" option you are correct, the G-series seems to lack an iGPU. But if you are looking for a pure TB implementation these are great options, especially the G46 since it is 14", 45W CPU and have 900p/1080p options.

I have big doubts those Asus have Thunderbolt connectivity, even if their description say so. The port is not Thunderbolt it is a MiniDisplayPort with an icon like a thunder in a circle or sqare that confuse buyers. Asus had some comments on the issue and they clarified the situation stating about displayport and not thunderbolt. It was supposed to become a standard option in august 2012 but it never happened.

Anyway G55/G75 are EOL, and any used laptop you can find on ebay won't have thunderbolt.

For this year Asus launched G750 model, it features thunderbolt but no optimus is possible.

Hmm that's very interesting!

I'm aware of that it is a mini display port connection, so you're saying those can't be thunderbolt?

According to ASUS they have TB.

This source claims that TB is optional instead of the mDP, so both of us might be right.

The only thing I'm sure of is that there is certain models with TB, so that's important to be clearly noted in the list!

EDIT: In this unboxing video the sticker on the laptop says "Nvida Optimus" and about 13 min 30s in the video you can clearly see the TB-logo .

2011+ Apple MBA/MBP mDP port can fuction as either mDP or Thunderbolt. It's a clever marketting technique by Intel/Apple to get more vendor uptake since TB can be integrated without requiring additional port space. Though internally does require a Thunderbolt controller.

I don't cover G46 model, I speak solely for G55 and G75 models.

This forum post is explaining most of the questions: G55 Thunderbolt clarification

So far I was not able to see on the market a single model with Thunderbolt of those series. Yes, I saw thunderbolt mentioned a lot of times in descriptions, but it was falsely advertised as being equipped with thunderbolt. In reality it was only a display port.

Buyers should pay attentions to those kind of specs, because lot of times those are not accurate.

As for this year, so far I can see that Asus launched the G750 (17 inch) and they are claiming thunderbolt on each model. I tend to believe them. There are 3 submodels JW (Nvidia 765M - thunderbolt, one single mPCIe occupied by Wifi), JX(Nvidia 770M - one single mPCIe occupied by Wifi), JH(Nvidia 780M - not launched yet - one single mPCIe occupied by Wifi plus two more free), but none of them have Optimus enabled.

Also, in some countries I can see that Asus replaced the old N56/N76 line with the new N550/N750 line - all body aluminium which features a Nvidia 750M, Optimus is enabled and there is a free mPCIe port at least on the N750JV model.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything worked just as the forum FAQs indicated. I have one glitch in that the bios is currently locked and I believe the PC card slot is running at PCIE 1 instead of 2.0. HP is sending me a boot USB to unlock the bios then I can verify and change it to 2.0. Does the Nvidia Optimus compression operate at both pcie 1.1 and 2.0? Or do I have to wait until I can set the slot to 2.0 to see that compression?

I benchmarked as is and will run them again after I can get the slot configured for 2.0. Still a huge improvement over the internal HD3000.

You need to change generation in BIOS, from Generation 1 to Generation 2 in Device Configuration :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes it more like ~12%, I compare my 3Dmark 11, and there it's ~5%. But 3Dmark Vantage would be (in my case) better, because (I think) the PCI-e Speed would be the liminted there.

Once again thanks, but I really think I'll keep the Fujitsu and hopefully I'll be able to manage with the DSDT override thing (although I clearly don't know in which obscure area I'm stepping in lol)

OK, so I've got the laptop, it's nice, silent, quite fast. I'm not used to Windows 8 but it's fine. Now, I need to know how to make a DSDT override, I'll be buying the PE4H and GPU (probably 660 or 760) in the next couple of days. However, I'll really need to do the DSDT override specially that the laptop came with a unique 4 Gb stick of RAM. Could it be possible to run the eGPU setup with this configuration or won't it run at ALL?

Ok from what I understand it won't run at all.

OK, so I've got the laptop, it's nice, silent, quite fast. I'm not used to Windows 8 but it's fine. Now, I need to know how to make a DSDT override, I'll be buying the PE4H and GPU (probably 660 or 760) in the next couple of days. However, I'll really need to do the DSDT override specially that the laptop came with a unique 4 Gb stick of RAM. Could it be possible to run the eGPU setup with this configuration or won't it run at ALL?

Ok from what I understand it won't run at all.

If you want better performance, you should look into getting the PE4L v2.1. It allows for proper PCI 2.0 connections thus giving you better performance. Unless I missed something and you are running a non Sandy Bridge or higher CPU?

If you want better performance, you should look into getting the PE4L v2.1. It allows for proper PCI 2.0 connections thus giving you better performance. Unless I missed something and you are running a non Sandy Bridge or higher CPU?

Thanks for your answer, I'll get the PE4L v2.1 for more performance since I've a i3 3120m Ivy Bridge. The ExpressCard slot is 34, would the PE4L fit? And how to fix the TOLUD?

Oh and another thing, I live in France, from where can I buy it?

Thanks for your answer, I'll get the PE4L v2.1 for more performance since I've a i3 3120m Ivy Bridge. The ExpressCard slot is 34, would the PE4L fit? And how to fix the TOLUD?

The ExpressCard slot is 34, would the PE4L fit?

-Yes no problem, it's 34mm sized.

And how to fix the TOLUD?

- Check out @Tech Inferno Fan 's post: "Win8: Perform a DSDT substitution within Setup 1.1x to overcome TOLUD issues"

- You, can always check ebay for a deal or just buy one from here (the main supplier: Bplus in Taiwan).

Good luck to you sir!

• Thumbs Up 1

You need to change generation in BIOS, from Generation 1 to Generation 2 in Device Configuration :)

Thanks @bjorm. I'll change to Gen 2 as soon as I get the bios unlock from HP.

Most of the benchmarks indicate my setup is now CPU limited (i5-2520M). Did your 8460p come with the i7-2630QM or did you do a CPU upgrade? Would you recommend a CPU upgrade as worth the boost in performance?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an ideal eGPU setup for a Lenovo W520 (see signature for details of the laptop). The main issue is: I have very large 3D data sets/meshes that are very taxing (stuttering) on my current GPU. Since school/work is paying for the setup, I figure I might as well get the best eGPU setup as possible. I know the GTX 690 and GTX Titan have gotten rave reviews/incredible benchmarks. But will they be overkill for the PCI-E slot bottleneck effects? Will the GTX 780 even be overkill?

Any and all help/instructions for a high-end eGPU setup for my laptop would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you.

The most powerful card you can plug in right now into that is the 780. Due to memory bandwidth limitations dual gpu cards are not and probably will not be supported through expresscard solutions. For that people are waiting for 2014 Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt update. A user named carage (on nbr forums I think) got a Titan running with his W520, but the difference was very small compared to his 670 4gb. So it is possible, but the card will be held back by memory bandwidth, and I think even more so in 3d applications.

Hey guys, well Im thinking about buying an egpu setup for my hp pavilion dv7-6b77dx. I dont have an express card, so I think im stuck on taking out my wifi adapter. One problem Im having though, is im not sure if the PM3N will fit. Even if it does, I dont know if the cable (what is it just a mini HDMI?) will fit either. I will put a picture of what Im saying, if you do not fully understand. I dont want to spend all of this money just to have an adapter not fit haha. Please go easy on me, I dont normally post on forums and Im kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff. Thanks :)

**Here is the picture compared to my thumb.

post-15307-14494995794702_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.