eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Great! Thank you very much for your help!

They already called me and made me an proposal for replacement. In addition I asked them for purchasing a PCIEMM-060B and shipping it together with the replacement, so one of my friend could use the old PE4H with PCIe 2.0, if this works.

Congrats, nice to hear goodwill from companies!

If it turns out you wouldn't find a use for the PE4H I'd gladly buy it from you.

Nando: May I ask you to change the link directing to Hungarian site to THIS? It is original independent topic of this system. The one shown now is used to advertise and sell his own stuff of the creator. Nonetheless he is stating false informations.

Edit: Thank you too!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm curious to see how Haswell machines will work with eGPU. For work I am planning to pick up a X230T, but am holding off for the Haswell update/release. I wonder if we'll see any improvements due to a more powerful iGPU?

Also, I really hope that the PCIEMM-B cables are Gen2 compliant like BPlus says they are, because then I could timeshare my PE4H 2.4 between my computers!

We have 90-95% power of desktop GPU currently so I don't think there will be any improvement with Haswell's. Even if there will be some imprevement it will be some around measurement error, vide there is no poin to buy anything on Hasweel, the same situation as it was between Ivy and SandyBridge.

I'm curious to see how Haswell machines will work with eGPU. For work I am planning to pick up a X230T, but am holding off for the Haswell update/release. I wonder if we'll see any improvements due to a more powerful iGPU?

Also, I really hope that the PCIEMM-B cables are Gen2 compliant like BPlus says they are, because then I could timeshare my PE4H 2.4 between my computers!

I'm fully aware of what Haswell brings to the table performance wise, what I meant was what it brings to the table for us on eGPU assemblies. For example will we see better compression with the Intel 4600? What about those who will have the Iris 5200? Or maybe a revision will see PCI 3.0 on some of the motherboards?

I'm just speculating here, but Haswell's architecture and I/O compatibility could bring forth a slew of features that would make eGPU no more difficult to use than just plugging in a legacy USB device and configuring it in ”BIOS" (Setup 1.x). Of course, that all assumes that Intel and the manufacturers are willing to leave all this open and accessible to the end users like us...

Here is my egpu for my vaio SVZ , GTX 780 inno 3D HerculeZ X3 ultra + PE4L-PM3N + 350W flexatx fortron + Notebookcooler.

820540471.jpg

381676372.jpg

347830963.jpg

MOD NOTE: Please do not post excessively large images like this in the future and be sure to use the spoiler tag. See forum rules for further information

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with getting an eGPU to work with my DELL Vostro 3700 (4GB RAM, Intel i5 M540, Win7 Professional 64-bit). nando pointed me to this thread saying that my Laptop was a likely candidate for the 36-bit DSDT override. But I can't seem to be able to get this to work, and the error I'm getting is explained nowhere (at least, I couldn't find anything via Google).

Getting the DSL file was easy, but in there, I was told to look for this

<tt>

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))</tt><tt>

</tt><tt>Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))

</tt>

and then locate DWordMemory entries and append a QWortMemory entry. The trouble is: there are no DWordMemory in that section; the only DWordMemory entries in the whole file are further down in another section of the file:

<tt> Scope (PCI0)</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> {</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> {</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> }</tt><tt>

</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> {</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> WordBusNumber (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode,</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0000, // Granularity</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0000, // Range Minimum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x00FF, // Range Maximum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0000, // Translation Offset</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0100, // Length</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> ,, )</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> IO (Decode16,</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0CF8, // Range Minimum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0CF8, // Range Maximum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x01, // Alignment</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x08, // Length</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> )</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> WordIO (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode, EntireRange,</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0000, // Range Minimum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0CF7, // Range Maximum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0CF8, // Length</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> ,, , TypeStatic)</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> WordIO (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode, EntireRange,</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x0D00, // Range Minimum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0xFFFF, // Range Maximum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0xF300, // Length</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> ,, , TypeStatic)</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x00000000, // Granularity</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x000A0000, // Range Minimum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x000BFFFF, // Range Maximum</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x00000000, // Translation Offset</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> 0x00020000, // Length</tt><tt>

</tt><tt> ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)</tt><tt>

</tt>

I tried to append the QWordMemory entry there, and the file recompiled fine with just a few warnings. But after creating an awl file with just the compiler call

<tt>iasl dsdt_WN09.dsl</tt>

and subsequently loading the file into the registry

asl /loadtable dsdt_WN09.aml

I get the aforementioned error I don't understand:

<tt>Microsoft ACPI Source Language Assembler Version 3.0.1NT [Aug 29 2006, 14:17:49]</tt><tt>

</tt><tt>

</tt><tt>Copyright © 1996,2006 Microsoft Corporation</tt><tt>

</tt><tt>Compliant with the ACPI 3.0a Specification</tt><tt>

</tt><tt>

</tt><tt>Error: Invalid image size in update image (dsdt_WN09.aml)</tt>

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, and how I can get this to work?

I have attached the modified dsl file.

<tt>dsdt_WN09.zip

Any help appreciated, Pit</tt>

...I get the aforementioned error I don't understand:

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, and how I can get this to work?

I have attached the modified dsl file.

<tt>[ATTACH]7937[/ATTACH]

Any help appreciated, Pit</tt>

hi anyone, I'm new here, need help on using an external gpu on my laptop..,,

im using msi ge620dx, no expresscard slot,, is there an alternative for it???? pls I really wanted to upgrade it hehe...

cn i use thunderbolt instead???

Welcome to the forum. This is the DIY eGPU forum area where DIY stands for do-it-yourself. So some self initiative is necessary to get a working solution. Can begin by reading through the FAQs posted on the initial post of this thread. Your questions plus more are answered there.

Which version of iasl do you use?

I found that using IASL version 20120620 (from

) rather then the latest version yielded different compile results (fewer errors/different warnings).

You should try and see if it makes any difference for you!

I used the version referred to in this thread, which is way older than the one you're recommending. iASL reports version 20091214. I will try the newer version on Monday and get back to you with results.

But can anybody tell me whether I've at least appended the QWordMemory entry at the right spot in the file?

Greetings, Pit.

Hello,

I have an issue with my EGPU.Here is my config :

Sony vaio SVZ

PE4L v2.1b

GTX 780

diy setup

I have the same configuration than mickjoa for the setup of nando , and i succesfully set up the drivers 320.18.

The card is correctly installed , i can have a dual screen with hdmi cable connected , and can O/C the card with msi afterburner.

But when i lauch a bench , BSOD ... and the pc restart.

With 3Dmark11 , it crashes just before the first screen of the first bench...

Do you think it's can be the psu ? I've modded the psu but i'm not sure of the connection :/

What do you think ?

Hello,

I have an issue with my EGPU.Here is my config :

Sony vaio SVZ

PE4L v2.1b

GTX 780

diy setup

I have the same configuration than mickjoa for the setup of nando , and i succesfully set up the drivers 320.18.

The card is correctly installed , i can have a dual screen with hdmi cable connected , and can O/C the card with msi afterburner.

But when i lauch a bench , BSOD ... and the pc restart.

With 3Dmark11 , it crashes just before the first screen of the first bench...

Do you think it's can be the psu ? I've modded the psu but i'm not sure of the connection :/

What do you think ?

I think you use an ATX psu. Should check the 12v rails' output. That little titan is a quite hungry beast. It is possible, that simply cant get enough juice under load.

Of course there can be plenty of other problem, but try to close out one after the other.

I just tested the new PCIE-MM-060B cable with a PE4H 2.4a ( PM3N 1.1 ) and it's NOT Gen2 compatible.

Since they advertised so on their site, can I claim a refund?

What steps did you use to test this? Did you conifugre Setup 1.x or your BIOS to use Gen2? Also, did you do any benchmarks, or did you only check GPU-Z while the GPU was idle?

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that you've provided no proof whatsoever that the cable fails Gen2 compatibility.

What steps did you use to test this? Did you conifugre Setup 1.x or your BIOS to use Gen2? Also, did you do any benchmarks, or did you only check GPU-Z while the GPU was idle?

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that you've provided no proof whatsoever that the cable fails Gen2 compatibility.

I don't have much time, for short I have the same issues like when I soldered my own HDMI Hot Plug cable.

The Device Manager recognizes the GTX 560, but the NV Control Panel and CudaZ do not.

All Graphics run from the iGPU ( HD4K ).

When I set it to Gen1 Speed everything works.

I don't have much time, for short I have the same issues like when I soldered my own HDMI Hot Plug cable.

The Device Manager recognizes the GTX 560, but the NV Control Panel and CudaZ do not.

All Graphics run from the iGPU ( HD4K ).

When I set it to Gen1 Speed everything works.

OK, well if you get more time, please run some more tests to see if it's something that can be fixed with a bit of tweaking, or not at all.

OK, well if you get more time, please run some more tests to see if it's something that can be fixed with a bit of tweaking, or not at all.

So well, I tried a few things.

PCI Compaction and what not.

It still refuses to run at Gen2.

The effect is exactly the same as I had before.

ONarhWyl.jpg

My PE4L can (was able) to run at Gen2 so I do not think that the issue is on the Notebook's side.

Two little things that bug me:

1. In both modes, working Gen1 and not working Gen2, the GPU is allocated normally.

In working Gen2 mode it is allocated in the Big Memory section.

2. In Setup 1.X the eGPU shows up like this: "p2 x1.2: NVidia [email protected]"

• Thumbs Up 1

That's too bad that it didn't work for you. I wonder if anyone else has had similar results? I know that @jacobsson is waiting for theirs to arrive so I'm interested to see if he gets similar results as yours.

I wouldn't mind paying $20 for a flexible cable at least, but the shipping cost is just insane when you consider that it's the same as the product itself. I'm also considering picking up the mPCIe extension board, maybe I can bundle them together.

That's too bad that it didn't work for you. I wonder if anyone else has had similar results? I know that @jacobsson is waiting for theirs to arrive so I'm interested to see if he gets similar results as yours.

I wouldn't mind paying $20 for a flexible cable at least, but the shipping cost is just insane when you consider that it's the same as the product itself. I'm also considering picking up the mPCIe extension board, maybe I can bundle them together.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm running a t410 with switchable graphics (intel HD and Nvidia NVS). Will I need setup 1.x to make this work? I've already ordered a pe4h-ec2c and a nvidia gtx 650 2gb.

There are two reasons why disable the dGPU in a Optimus configuration is desirable. (1) it allows the eGPU to be given Optimus priority. That is, the eGPU can render the image and display it using the iGPU in internal LCD mode. Along with that feature you get x1 pci-e compression accelerating DX9 up to 300% and (2) in some cases disabling the dGPU allows the eGPU to be hosted in 32-bit pci-e space. So yes, it is desirable to disable the NVS dGPU.

Check your bios to see if there is a Optimus type setting to disable the dGPU. If there isn't one then yes, Setup 1.x software can do it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.