eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Please check if yours does and if it's set to gen1, set it to gen2. You can check it by running GPU-Z. It should say x1 2.0 when under load like shown.

Yes it's x1 2.0 , but it's weird i'am not getting 19k score.

I think it's because of the cpu.

I've just purchased Setup 1.x as I need it for an x2 setup once I can get x1 working first. I've tried the hotplugging and initialize video card trick but my laptop likes to freeze whenever I try to hotplug a mPCIe card so I can't do this to fix code 43. Is there anything else I could try?

I've just purchased Setup 1.x as I need it for an x2 setup once I can get x1 working first. I've tried the hotplugging and initialize video card trick but my laptop likes to freeze whenever I try to hotplug a mPCIe card so I can't do this to fix code 43. Is there anything else I could try?

Ensure lane2 is connected to your system and the PE4H, use PCIe ports->Link Width.x2 , hotplug lane1 then (if necessary) do Video cards->Initialize. Chainload to your OS.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've almost got my M1530 working in x1 mode with an (somewhat ancient, I know) 8800 GTX but the only problem is that the modded Verde drivers somehow refuse to detect a monitor connected to said eGPU. On launching Nvidia Control Panel, exact error is "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

Currently, only internal monitor works (not accelerated).

It seems that the modded drivers are installed correctly in Device Manager; the dGPU 8600M GT is being disabled by code 12 and the eGPU working properly and using the modded drivers (I assume this is due to the M1530 switching dGPU to secondary and eGPU to primary despite the 3.5GB TOLUD.)

AIDA64 shows: PCI-E 1.0 x1 port #4 In Use @ x1 (Leadtek WinFast PX8800 GTX Video Adapter)

The system has 4GB RAM and the eGPU is attached to the WWAN port via a self-made adapter (details to come).

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing and I need to be pointed in the right direction.

EDIT: Pulling out 2GB RAM gives a blank screen shortly after "starting windows" as if the eGPU is working, but the eGPU gives a code 43 instead.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention in my last post that I'm currently running in x1 mode for now. I'll add a second lane when I get x1 working. Strangely, a few times, the eGPU actually did come up with the windows login screen, allowing me to login before going blank again. The computer was loading extremely slowly (20+ minutes to login screen, I never did get into the desktop) every time this occurred.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention in my last post that I'm currently running in x1 mode for now. I'll add a second lane when I get x1 working. Strangely, a few times, the eGPU actually did come up with the windows login screen, allowing me to login before going blank again. The computer was loading extremely slowly (20+ minutes to login screen, I never did get into the desktop) every time this occurred.

Had virtually the same issue when my PE4L 2.1a flaked out from being bent around the pads area. Seemed to still be conducting and my eGPU could be detected but login was ultra slow and any load on the eGPU would fail. Suspect transmission errors due to crosstalk between the TX/RX differential pair. So you want to triple check your wiring of your self-made adapter.

the eGPU is attached to the WWAN port via a self-made adapter (details to come).
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nando, you're a genius! When I had a look at my adapter, guess what I found? The TX/RX and clock signal differential pairs were running together on a ribbon cable with no separation nor a guard ground wire in between. Once I separated these, it runs perfectly and it's stable. Just like that.

I also saw that the CLKREQ was not pulled to ground as it should be but this seemed to have no effect on my M1530 (probably not implemented/ignored).

Posted from my iPho... 8800 GTX

• Thumbs Up 1

Per my previous post, replace the GTX660 with a HD7870.

PCI compaction is only required if you have an error 12 against your eGPU preventing it's operation. That does not apply to you.

hi, so my laptop cannot upgrade to 1.1 or 1.1opt? because according to that table, only 1.0 is really bad, the others are doing very well.

hi, so my laptop cannot upgrade to 1.1 or 1.1opt? because according to that table, only 1.0 is really bad, the others are doing very well.

Unfortunately no. Per previous replies, your options for better performance with your Series-5 notebook with no iGPU or x2/x4 options are (1) replace notebook with a Sandy/Ivy Bridge one with iGPU for substantial x1.2Opt performance improvement (2) replace your NVidia card with something like a AMD HD7870 for a minor performance improvement.

Unfortunately no. Per previous replies, your options for better performance with your Series-5 notebook with no iGPU or x2/x4 options are (1) replace notebook with a Sandy/Ivy Bridge one with iGPU for substantial x1.2Opt performance improvement (2) replace your NVidia card with something like a AMD HD7870 for a minor performance improvement.

alright, so i will not be expecting 12-15k benchmark even if i switch to 7870 right? then i think i will just wait for a btr laptop. also if i buy a thunderbolt mpbr/other laptop now, i have to fork out another 200usd for a thunderbolt adapter? my gc and psu can remain right? i guess im stucked to expresscard laptops!

alright, so i will not be expecting 12-15k benchmark even if i switch to 7870 right? then i think i will just wait for a btr laptop. also if i buy a thunderbolt mpbr/other laptop now, i have to fork out another 200usd for a thunderbolt adapter? my gc and psu can remain right? i guess im stucked to expresscard laptops!

On a x1 1.0 link, AMD cards do better in 3dmark06 (DX9) that NVidia cards. You would get 3dmark06 of 12-15k if using a HD7870. I got 3dmark06=18432 using a pci-e 1.x link, i5-3320M and HD7870 here. Just be aware in that testing the AMD card no longer exhibited half-duplex crippled performance as seen with older AMD cards + Intel chipsets. I'm not sure if it was Intel or AMD that fixed that handshaking problem. So it would be best if you can borrow a HD78xx card to test to confirm performance is satisfactory.

Otherwise yes, $180 for a TH05 TB adapter + extra $$ for a TB-equipped notebook that would get you double the bandwidth of a Sandy/Ivy Bridge expresscard solution. Not worth the considerable $$$ outlay for TB over expresscard imho.

My old rig:

inspiron 1720

T7500

8600m GT

4GB RAM

Windows 7 64

eGPU: MSI GTX 560 ti

be quiet 430W PSU

PE4h 2.4a x2 link on port 3&4

I've set up everything, got 3dmark11 score of 2898, played AC3 and NFSMW for a couple of days with no problems and sudden everything changed

From 30+ fps AC3 now is 10+ and 3dmark11 score is now 1212!

Everything its like before setup wise, compaction, x2 link nothing changed except its just slower

Any idea what can it be?

post-7954-14494994075699_thumb.jpg

SCN000.BMP

Afterburner monitor shows all clocks normal during 3dmark. Just eGPU usage its half of what it was.

It become slower since when I exit AC3 and it froze to black screen and I had to reboot

Re installed drivers and still slow.

I don't know what to do except reinstalling win

Edit:

Processor was running at just 620mhz. It doesn't anymore after using it without eGPU.

Its all good now.

Hi i have been using my diy e gpu for a while but i dont understand whats limiting my performance and i dont think the specs are that low

post-5989-14494994076381_thumb.gif

I ran 3d mark 06 and got this result NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,TOSHIBA Portable PC score: 6407 3DMarks

I am using PE4H module with setup 1.1x could it be because it is running at 1x speed?

I am using a toshiba tecra r840 model

Many thanks

Hi i have been using my diy e gpu for a while but i dont understand whats limiting my performance and i dont think the specs are that low

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5613[/ATTACH]

I ran 3d mark 06 and got this result NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,TOSHIBA Portable PC score: 6407 3DMarks

I am using PE4H module with setup 1.1x could it be because it is running at 1x speed?

I am using a toshiba tecra r840 model

Many thanks

On a competing site I see you list you have the HD6450M model of the R840. Meaning, no iGPU, so no x1.1Opt (pci-e compressed) performance for you. That is why your 3dmark06 is so low.

You can improve it by either getting a PE4L 2.1b which will double bandwidth from your current pci-e 1.x to pci-e 2.0. Or alternatively, replace your GTX670 with an AMD equivalent HD7870/HD7950/HD7970. Maybe could even ask someone if they'd be prepared to swap out their iGPU systemboard for your HD6450M one in that way gaining Optimus pci-e compression?

Can see the performance differences between x1 1.0 and x1 2.0 as well as a GTX660 versus HD7870 here. Included too is x1.1Opt and x1.2Opt performance if you did manage to get a iGPU version systemboard.

Hello ,

I have a dell studio 1558 with i5 430m 2.26 ghz and ati 5470 . It has a HM55 chipset .

There is also a express card slot available .

PCI Express Controller

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #1 Empty

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #4 Empty

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #5 In Use @ x1 (Ricoh PCI-E Memory Stick Host Controller, Ricoh PCI-E SD Bus Host Adapter)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #6 In Use @ x1 (Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter)

Can anyone suggest me a good card for this setup as im confused to choose between ati and nvidia . Also wanted to know if my cpu will be a bottleneck in running games like battlefield 3 .

Thank you

Hello ,

I have a dell studio 1558 with i5 430m 2.26 ghz and ati 5470 . It has a HM55 chipset .

There is also a express card slot available .

PCI Express Controller

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #1 Empty

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #2 In Use @ x1 (Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #4 Empty

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #5 In Use @ x1 (Ricoh PCI-E Memory Stick Host Controller, Ricoh PCI-E SD Bus Host Adapter)

PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #6 In Use @ x1 (Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter)

Can anyone suggest me a good card for this setup as im confused to choose between ati and nvidia . Also wanted to know if my cpu will be a bottleneck in running games like battlefield 3 .

Thank you

Highest performance configuration would be a PE4H 2.4 running in x2 mode. Can choose either a NVidia or AMD card. I'd probably go a AMD 7xxx card if I had this notebook. Kizwan's DIY eGPU implementation: 15" Dell Studio 1557 + ATI Radeon HD 5870 @x2 a good example of how to do it. Keeping in mind, this is a twin cable solution that accesses the mPCIe slot. It's not for everyone.

A Sandy Bridge notebook's expresscard slot gets the same bandwidth (x1 2.0 = x2 1.0) using a single cable since it runs the faster pci-e 2.x plus the CPU itself is faster than your 1st gen one. The PE4H 2.1b eGPU hardware to do it is cheaper and it's overall less complex to do. So an inexpensive SB system upgrade with expresscard slot such as a HP 4530s/6560b/8560p, Lenovo E520/T520/W520 or Dell 3550/E6530 is something else you may consider. The HP 4530s has been successful retrofitted with a 1080P screen too.

I finally got my X230 setup working well enough, thanks to a comment by Zak9909. Previously the eGPU was only working when not using the mSATA SSD at the same time. I booted Setup 1.x from a flash drive, but found that it could not chainload to my SSD which was on a GPT partition table. I tried the uefi chainload mode but Tianocore's UEFI-DUET got stuck and there's little information on it. So I reinstalled Windows 8 on my SSD this time using an MBR partition table. Then in Setup 1.x I did PCI compaction with the 32-bitA method (iGPU and eGPU only), and chainloaded with mbr mode. This is with everything plugged in at the beginning, and it worked. The only issue I still have is sleeping sometimes results in a blue screen or black screen. Also, initially I didn't realize I needed the patch to Setup 1.x that adds Series-7 chipset support, it's on the stickied thread here but not on DIY eGPU Setup 1.x Help. Setup 1.x even seems to fix the error with my BIOS not detecting the SSD after a forced shutdown, I run it without the eGPU and compact everything including the SSD - it shows up as Ricoh because I guess Lenovo meant for it to be used for a media card reader.

• Thumbs Up 1

DIY eGPU Setup 1.x chainloading fails for Lenovo G560 :(

My PC is lenovo G560

windows7 64bit

One physical HDD

The partition is only C drive on windows.

Chainloading does not work in normal menu.win and menu.mbr.

If grub4dos.Prompt is chosen, it will become a black screen and will stop.

I installed grub4dos and executed ls (hd[tab] command,

and hd0 and the partitions 0 and 1 were displayed.

I edited \config\menu.win into chainloader(hd0, 1)/bootmgr or chainloader(hd0, 0)/bootmgr,

but Chainloading does not work.

Please teach a right procedure

Someone please help me!!

Hi Konpei-island. What helped me was:

Boot into DIY Setup

Go to Chainload menu, select 'Prompt' to get the grub prompt (It was important for me to do it from DIY Setup, because my partition numbers changed between actual boot and getting into Setup 1.x - you can see why at the bottom of menu.lst)

Share the results of the following three commands:

ls (hd[tab]

find /Windows

find /bootmgr

I needed to comment out the if statements in menu.win, and then used:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Windows

chainloader (whichever partition the "find /bootmgr" command returned)/bootmgr

Just wanted to post my results with my eGPU setup and X230. Specs of my system are in my signature.

19,496 3DMark 06 score with an external display:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3360M Processor,LENOVO 2306CTO score: 19496 3DMarks

Now just need to get an enclosure for my system, any recommendations? I've been thinking about getting a cheap miniITX case to put it all in, to possibly boot the system by pressing the case button. Looks like the headers on the SWEX adapter are just regular old headers used to hookup PC switches. Anyone know if this is possible?

Hi Konpei-island. What helped me was:

Boot into DIY Setup

Go to Chainload menu, select 'Prompt' to get the grub prompt (It was important for me to do it from DIY Setup, because my partition numbers changed between actual boot and getting into Setup 1.x - you can see why at the bottom of menu.lst)

Share the results of the following three commands:

ls (hd[tab]

find /Windows

find /bootmgr

I needed to comment out the if statements in menu.win, and then used:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Windows

chainloader (whichever partition the "find /bootmgr" command returned)/bootmgr

Hi Zak9909

Thank you for your reply.

Go to Chainload menu, select 'Prompt' to get the grub prompt

However, it was displayed as "FAILURE RESTORE ROM INT 0X76 VECTOR

UNSUPPORTED DOS, DEVICE DRIVER OR TSR", it stopped at a black screen

Just a heads-up for future reference in case anyone's doing a search on it: another source of Code 43 error is having the PCI-Express power cable not plugged into the card! Just got my new GTX 660 replacement in and fired her up and spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out why I was getting this error now when it worked with my other card. So yeah, don't be stupid like me and forget about the cable.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to post my results with my eGPU setup and X230. Specs of my system are in my signature.

19,496 3DMark 06 score with an external display:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3360M Processor,LENOVO 2306CTO score: 19496 3DMarks

Now just need to get an enclosure for my system, any recommendations? I've been thinking about getting a cheap miniITX case to put it all in, to possibly boot the system by pressing the case button. Looks like the headers on the SWEX adapter are just regular old headers used to hookup PC switches. Anyone know if this is possible?

I bought a Fractal Core 1000, but it hasn't arrived yet. My only concern was the cable length and if it will reach to where my laptop is in my setup. I believe it will with this case.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.