eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi All,

My laptop is Lenovo E420 and my eGPU is GTX 560 Ti.

My eGPU is stable if I use the G1 speed. Every time I try to use the G2 speed (from eGPU setup), the external monitor shows nothing and I can't connect to it. There is no error12 though. What could be the problem?

Also, my eGPU stops in a sudden at times and I receive an error that says "the display driver stops responding and has been recovered". Could this be the mini HDMI cable?

What happens is 'chainload Win7' searches for the first instance of /bootmgr on your partitions. In your case, it finds it on your Recovery partition first before your Win7 installation. So easiest solution is to use 'chainload MBR' instead which is how the system boots. Or, if you want to go the more painful route use Chainloader->grub4dos.Prompt to query your partitions to find where your Win7 resides on then use Chainloader->!Edit config to manually set the partition for 'chainload Win7' to use.

NOTE: since your system lacks a iGPU, it's not going to get x1.Opt pci-e compression nor internal LCD mode. Not a good DIY eGPU candidate system.

No no I realize that now that I might have been a little hasty in buying a DIY setup =). I just want to see if I can get at least some performance out of it but maybe thats not possible?. Right now I can allocate 128mb of pci space to it in setup 1.x but it runs like crap and is outperformed by my dGPU.

If i try to deprioritize my dGPU i can allocate 512mb of space but when i try to chainload it just gives me a blank prompt until i reset. And I cant remember what I did but i managed to allocate 512mb of space and boot up in 256 colors which i think is the "iGPU" taking over. Should i be looking at buying a suitable laptop instead or is there something i can do here?

If you hit F3 after setting Gen2 link speed on your port it then it will be added to your startup.bat as 'call iport g2 [port number]'. The chainloading line will be the last item in your startup.bat and will appear either as 'call grub4dos mbr' (MBR) or 'call grub4dos win7' (bootmgr). Yes, you can manually edit your startup.bat within Win7. Just open v:\config\startup.bat. There is a bunch of comments there to help you along. When all finished you can boot via Setup 1.x and just select the "automated startup via startup.bat" to do everything for you. If there's a 'call speedup lbacache' at the very start of your startup.bat then it then it will add ~3secs to your normal Win7 bootup process to configure your ports/pcie configuration/etc. Easy.

Perfect! I have everything setup now, I certainly noticed the difference between the G1 and G2 link when playing Just Cause 2.

G1:

Textures and such - High

High res shadows - off

Bokeh filter - off

Water modeling (or w/e it is called) - off

x4 AA

x8 AF

After establishing the G2 link, I was able to change the setting to the below and still have a higher framerate (read: silky smooth)

G2:

High res shadows - on

Bokeh filter - on

Water modeling - on

x32 CSAA

x16 AF

(essentially everything on and maxed)

Surprisingly this was only game I had to turn the settings down on, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Borderlands 2 I could all play on max on a G1 link with great performance. I want to give Sleeping Dogs a whirl but I'll wait for a sale.

Is there anything I have left to do? Or things I can do for optimization/increase boot time (other than 'call speedup lbacache')?

Thanks for your help nando!

Hi All,

My laptop is Lenovo E420 and my eGPU is GTX 560 Ti.

My eGPU is stable if I use the G1 speed. Every time I try to use the G2 speed (from eGPU setup), the external monitor shows nothing and I can't connect to it. There is no error12 though. What could be the problem?

Also, my eGPU stops in a sudden at times and I receive an error that says "the display driver stops responding and has been recovered". Could this be the mini HDMI cable?

Your PE4H isn't Gen2 capable. You need a PE4L 2.1b for that. The display driver suddenly not working could be due to the card being factory overclocked beyond it's capability (yes, it happens!) or the power supply being incapable of providing enough power to drive it. I'd suggest use MSI AfterBurner to lower the clocks and see if it solves the problem.

No no I realize that now that I might have been a little hasty in buying a DIY setup =). I just want to see if I can get at least some performance out of it but maybe thats not possible?. Right now I can allocate 128mb of pci space to it in setup 1.x but it runs like crap and is outperformed by my dGPU.

If i try to deprioritize my dGPU i can allocate 512mb of space but when i try to chainload it just gives me a blank prompt until i reset. And I cant remember what I did but i managed to allocate 512mb of space and boot up in 256 colors which i think is the "iGPU" taking over. Should i be looking at buying a suitable laptop instead or is there something i can do here?

"Runs like crap" is correct. You have no x1.Opt capability due to no active iGPU so the GT425M will be faster. Time to look for a x1.2Opt capable notebook. Budget ones being a 14/15/17" Dell Vostro 3x50/3x60, 13/14/15/17" HP Probook 4x30s or 14/15" Lenovo E420/E520. Note: Ivy Bridge Probook 4x40s and Lenovo E430/E530 no longer have expresscard slots.

Perfect! I have everything setup now, I certainly noticed the difference between the G1 and G2 link when playing Just Cause 2.

G1:

Textures and such - High

High res shadows - off

Bokeh filter - off

Water modeling (or w/e it is called) - off

x4 AA

x8 AF

After establishing the G2 link, I was able to change the setting to the below and still have a higher framerate (read: silky smooth)

G2:

High res shadows - on

Bokeh filter - on

Water modeling - on

x32 CSAA

x16 AF

(essentially everything on and maxed)

Surprisingly this was only game I had to turn the settings down on, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Borderlands 2 I could all play on max on a G1 link with great performance. I want to give Sleeping Dogs a whirl but I'll wait for a sale.

Is there anything I have left to do? Or things I can do for optimization/increase boot time (other than 'call speedup lbacache')?

Thanks for your help nando!

Gen2 pci-e link speed gives a noticable improvement in bandwidth heavy games. Others that don't tax the pci-e link will show a small if any improvement over Gen1 speed.

Adding 'call speedup lbacache' will reduce the end-to-end runtime of your startup.bat. Only optimizations after that are to evaluate if every line beneath that one is necessary in your startup.bat. A basic startup.bat will take < 1s to complete. Can test your startup.bat runtime within Setup 1.1x's menu-based interface using Apply config.Run startup.bat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Your PE4H isn't Gen2 capable. You need a PE4L 2.1b for that. The display driver suddenly not working could be due to the card being factory overclocked beyond it's capability (yes, it happens!) or the power supply being incapable of providing enough power to drive it. I'd suggest use MSI AfterBurner to lower the clocks and see if it solves the problem.

PE4H isn't Gen2 capable? I bought the wrong product? Nooooooo! :hopelessness: I should have read thoroughly before purchasing. :hopelessness:

My eGPU load is above 90 % all the time when playing games & the egpu fails at times even when I use it not to play games. Are you sure it's the PSU that causes the problem? (...oh God please not another wrong product :hopelessness:)

<wall of text>

I am now having an issue when I run startup.bat my computer reboots. Here is my current file:

call speedup lbacache

call iport g2 1

call iport dGPU off

call vidwait 60 10de:1183

call vidinit -d 10de:1183

call pci

call grub4dos win7

Is there some glaring error? If I understand correctly:

call speedup lbacache - to speed up boot time (not sure about details)

call iport g2 1 - force G2 link on my port (eGPU is port 1)

call iport dGPU off - disable dGPU

call vidwait 60 10de:1183 - part of the compaction process (?)

call vidinit -d 10de:1183 - no idea, guessing the compaction process

call pci - initiate pci.bat, part of the compaction process it seems

call grub4dos win7 - chainload to win7 (I have a hunch this might be where the error is located)

For the chainload, when it was set to:

call grub4dos mbr

It went to the grub command line and did not even go to the choose OS or anything. When I select chainload win7 from the menu, it goes to my OS selection (Windows 7 or Setup 1.x). The same occured if I chose chainload mbr, but I was hoping it would boot straight to Windows 7.

There may be an issue because I use Windows 7 Enterprise, but I am not certain.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. Thanks for your help.

</wall of text>

<wall of text>

I am now having an issue when I run startup.bat my computer reboots. Here is my current file:

call speedup lbacache

call iport g2 1

call iport dGPU off

call vidwait 60 10de:1183

call vidinit -d 10de:1183

call pci

call grub4dos win7

Is there some glaring error? If I understand correctly:

call speedup lbacache - to speed up boot time (not sure about details)

call vidwait 60 10de:1183 - part of the compaction process (?)

call vidinit -d 10de:1183 - no idea, guessing the compaction process

call pci - initiate pci.bat, part of the compaction process it seems

call grub4dos win7 - chainload to win7 (I have a hunch this might be where the error is located)

For the chainload, when it was set to:

call grub4dos mbr

It went to the grub command line and did not even go to the choose OS or anything. When I select chainload win7 from the menu, it goes to my OS selection (Windows 7 or Setup 1.x). The same occured if I chose chainload mbr, but I was hoping it would boot straight to Windows 7.

There may be an issue because I use Windows 7 Enterprise, but I am not certain.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. Thanks for your help.

</wall of text>

Chainloading works prior to you doing any other activities. Regardless of if you use 'chainload win7' or 'chainload 'mbr' it will show the Win7 bootup menu where you select Win7 or DIY eGPU Setup 1.x. Only workarounds there are:

1. Use a USB install of Setup 1.x so the Setup 1.x won't be a menuitem.

2. Decrease the default timeout of the bootmgr menuitem from 30s to 5s so you don't need to select anything from the menu. Do that with 'bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 5'

As for the reboot problem, below I give details of your startup.bat. I'd suggest edit out the 'call pci' and 'call speedup lbacache' to see if the system chainloads OK. Add them back in one at a time to confirm which is the problem. The probably culprit is 'call pci' in which case try a more simplified PCI compaction like 32-bitA iGPU+eGPU. The resultant pci.bat may can be editted to a more simplified form.

call speedup lbacache - to speed up end-to-end-runtime processing of your startup.bat
call vidwait 60 10de:1183 - confirms the NVidia GTX660Ti is on the pci-e bus. Prompts to attach it if not found.
call vidinit -d 10de:1183 - sets the NVidia card to initialized state.
call pci - runs the results of your last pci compaction
call grub4dos win7 - chainload to win7

-snip-

call speedup lbacache - to speed up end-to-end-runtime processing of your startup.bat
call vidwait 60 10de:1183 - confirms the NVidia GTX660Ti is on the pci-e bus. Prompts to attach it if not found.
call vidinit -d 10de:1183 - sets the NVidia card to initialized state.
call pci - runs the results of your last pci compaction
call grub4dos win7 - chainload to win7

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, for some reason it works flawlessly now, really fast, etc.

tbh, I re-arranged it to the above but was never able to test (had to go to class), I just stated the issues I had before I re-arranged it. Glad to see it was this easy of a fix.

I think I will stick with this instead of trying to perform the DSDT method. My DSDT file is chock full of errors, and even with various guides I cannot find how to fix them, Setup 1.x is good enough for me!

I'll stick around and hope to help others (hopefully), thanks for your help nando.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, for some reason it works flawlessly now, really fast, etc.

tbh, I re-arranged it to the above but was never able to test (had to go to class), I just stated the issues I had before I re-arranged it. Glad to see it was this easy of a fix.

I think I will stick with this instead of trying to perform the DSDT method. My DSDT file is chock full of errors, and even with various guides I cannot find how to fix them, Setup 1.x is good enough for me!

I'll stick around and hope to help others (hopefully), thanks for your help nando.

Congratulations!

Do you mind posting your spec. and results?

Then Nando could put you up on the "news" list at page 1!

I should probably mention I am running the stock EVGA GTX 660 Ti without any overclocking or anything of that sort (not even the factory OC version)

I am running these with my laptop closed (to disable that display), and running Windows 7 Basic (disable Aero). I still have two external monitors hooked up. 3DMark is running on only one, the other is just the wallpaper, nothing else running.

3DMark06:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/16927753

(any reason why this seems really low?)

3DMark 11:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4629225

I will update this as I run other benchmarks.

Not sure what this is about, I guess I'll check for another driver update or something.

3DMark says:

Graphics driver is not approved

Hi,

My eGPU stops responding (and external monitor disconnected) at times not only when playing games but also when only displaying desktop (GPU load is low). I've tried to lower the GPU shader / memory / processor clock using Zotac Firestorm but it didn't help.

I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU since I've used my eGPU to play demanding games in ultra settings. GPU-Z shows GPU load reaches 99% all the time.

Can you give me some suggestions?

I'm using Lenovo E420, PE4H, Zotac GTX 560 Ti.

Thanks in advance.

HI Folks,

i got a Problem with my eGPU. I have a Notebook based on the Compal NBLB2 (i7, 4GB RAM, HD 5650M). I set up the PE4H + PM3N and installed Setup 1.x. The Device Manager shows my eGPU (430 GT) and there is no error. However i don't get a signal to my external Monitor. The Display Switching SHortcuts don't work(there just the Cursor mit this little circle shown for a sec.) In the resolution change menu is no graphic card detected and the Nvidia control panel tells my that i don't use a Display that is connected to a Nvidia GPU . I already tried to install the DNA modded drivers, but there was no change. Please consider helping me.

Best regards.

HI Folks,

i got a Problem with my eGPU. I have a Notebook based on the Compal NBLB2 (i7, 4GB RAM, HD 5650M). I set up the PE4H + PM3N and installed Setup 1.x. The Device Manager shows my eGPU (430 GT) and there is no error. However i don't get a signal to my external Monitor. The Display Switching SHortcuts don't work(there just the Cursor mit this little circle shown for a sec.) In the resolution change menu is no graphic card detected and the Nvidia control panel tells my that i don't use a Display that is connected to a Nvidia GPU . I already tried to install the DNA modded drivers, but there was no change. Please consider helping me.

Best regards.

Try to set the eGPU PCI port speed to G1.

I successfully installed Setup 1.1x but when I get into the menu-based option it doesn't detect the eGpu, I've triple checked to make sure that all of the cords are correctly attached and when I turn it on all of the fans are working including the GPU fan. Is it possible that the fact that I have a 54mm ec slot will be unable to see the 34mm ec card that I put in?

Hi,

My eGPU stops responding (and external monitor disconnected) at times not only when playing games but also when only displaying desktop (GPU load is low). I've tried to lower the GPU shader / memory / processor clock using Zotac Firestorm but it didn't help.

I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU since I've used my eGPU to play demanding games in ultra settings. GPU-Z shows GPU load reaches 99% all the time.

Can you give me some suggestions?

I'm using Lenovo E420, PE4H, Zotac GTX 560 Ti.

Thanks in advance.

Is there any particular reason why you are using the PE4H over the PE4L?

Assuming I am looking at the correct E420, you have a second-gen i-Series, therefore it should support PCIe 2.0 through your ExpressCard slot. It might be just me, but people who use the latest PE4L ver 2.1b have fewer problems on newer equipment that those who use the PE4H.

I cannot really help to fix your problem since I have the PE4L.

Maybe check in the Setup 1.x that you have established a G2 link (assuming it supports it). That alone helped the performance on my setup significantly.

Hopefully nando will chime in seeing he is more versed in this matter.

Is there any particular reason why you are using the PE4H over the PE4L?

Assuming I am looking at the correct E420, you have a second-gen i-Series, therefore it should support PCIe 2.0 through your ExpressCard slot. It might be just me, but people who use the latest PE4L ver 2.1b have fewer problems on newer equipment that those who use the PE4H.

I cannot really help to fix your problem since I have the PE4L.

Maybe check in the Setup 1.x that you have established a G2 link (assuming it supports it). That alone helped the performance on my setup significantly.

Hopefully nando will chime in seeing he is more versed in this matter.

Well to purchase PE4H was a wrong decision indeed. I knew about eGPU for the first time not from notebookreview / techinferno forum and there they recommend PE4H instead of PE4L. I just knew PE4H only support G1 speed recently. How careless I was. :(

I have tried to set G2 link but I couldn't connect to external monitor. No error 12 though.

Do you suggest that I replace my PE4H with PE4L 2.1b?

Recently I purchased the DIY eGPU application and it seemed to install fine by running all 3 bat files. I also have run the recent update.

The eGPU is detected successfully, however when in menu mode the application stops when I either attempt to disable the dGPU through it OR run the compaction process. It's odd cos the cursor on the screen keep flashing but does not respond to any input. When running the compaction it stops on the following line:

copy R:\config\pci.bat (ramdisk) -> c:\config\pci.bat (drv) ...

Anyone seen similar? It appears as though the application cannot write to the mounted drive.

I've also noticed I can't save screen shots, the setup of CUTEMOUSE fails and if I use the keyboard on the blue menu screen, I can't scroll past menu selection 2 (so i have to select with the numbers on the keyboard).

My setup is as follows:

Macbook Pro 17" Late 2012

OSX/Win 7 (Bootcamp)

TH05 Thunderbolt adapter

eGPU = MSI Radeon 7770

Recently I purchased the DIY eGPU application and it seemed to install fine by running all 3 bat files. I also have run the recent update.

The eGPU is detected successfully, however when in menu mode the application stops when I either attempt to disable the dGPU through it OR run the compaction process. It's odd cos the cursor on the screen keep flashing but does not respond to any input. When running the compaction it stops on the following line:

Anyone seen similar? It appears as though the application cannot write to the mounted drive.

I've also noticed I can't save screen shots, the setup of CUTEMOUSE fails and if I use the keyboard on the blue menu screen, I can't scroll past menu selection 2 (so i have to select with the numbers on the keyboard).

My setup is as follows:

Macbook Pro 17" Late 2012

OSX/Win 7 (Bootcamp)

TH05 Thunderbolt adapter

eGPU = MSI Radeon 7770

You can hit F2 to disable disk writes, where it will run completely off ramdisk. I've had another MBA/MBP user report disk write issues with Setup 1.1x. Haven't had access to a MBA/MBP to investigate what's going on.

You should disable your dGPU only if you have an iGPU listed. Reason being, Win7 will only allow the eGPU to work as long as the primary video card is active. My understanding is that the Radeon/NVidia equipped MBPs do not have the iGPU active in any OS other than MacOS. You can also use 'call iGPU [on off]' or 'call dGPU [on off]' at the command prompt to enable/disable the iGPU/dGPU followed by 'call grub4dos mbr' to chainload to the bootloader.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I will give that a go now. I'm assuming I hit F2 while in the menu mode?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I just tried that. I can confirm that I put it in the ramdisk only mode in the menu screen as it change the display details in the main menu screen, however it still failed the compaction process on the same line:

Are there any other setting I need to force?

i have a problem with standby mode, if i was in standby mode, i have speed x1 egpu. So i must restart my notebook after standby for full speed (x4 egpu). I haven't found a solution.

i have a problem with standby mode, if i was in standby mode, i have speed x1 egpu. So i must restart my notebook after standby for full speed (x4 egpu). I haven't found a solution.

Im not versed in EGPU but does it help or have you tried "Hybrid Sleep Mode" in the Power Options which is off by default... If this is windows 7 atleast.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

You are running in x4 mode. When I did x2 testing I found a HP DV2000 did maintain the link width after a resume. A Dell Inspiron 1440 (x1E) would reset the port back to x1. So the system's bios is resetting the ports.

It may be technically possible to set the port to x4 in Windows. The way to do that would be using devcon to disable the port, then use setpci and a tool like r-w evverything to do PCI and memory writes. You'd be duplicating those done within Setup 1.x to set x4 mode. Once done, you'd enable the port again using devcon.

Well to purchase PE4H was a wrong decision indeed. I knew about eGPU for the first time not from notebookreview / techinferno forum and there they recommend PE4H instead of PE4L. I just knew PE4H only support G1 speed recently. How careless I was. :(

I have tried to set G2 link but I couldn't connect to external monitor. No error 12 though.

Do you suggest that I replace my PE4H with PE4L 2.1b?

I would, the G2 link is a massive jump in performance, I noticed it right away. plus the adapter is smaller! Albeit it holds onto the card a little bit more loosely, but if you mount your card well, it won't budge.

Hopefully you will be able to exchange it if you are going to do so.

tbh, I almost bought the PE4H myself, but I kept re-reading the post on NBR to make sure, I missed it almost every time.

Hmm..

Tech Inferno Fan, could you perhaps make a note that the PE4L 2.1b is a more optimal decision for most people so people don't make this error in the future? I noticed a few people doing this. Especially since there is some old info floating around. Perhaps something like the following:

If you computer has the following, the following adapter is recommended:

Thunderbolt -> TH05

ExpressCard -> PE4L 2.1b EC060A

mPCIe -> PE4L 2.1b PM060A

G1 with multiple ports:

PE4H

Not sure if I got the specifics correct, but that was more for a template.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.