eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

1 hour ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Set your eGPU gear to run at Gen1 speed using the PCIe Ports->Gen1 Setup 1.30 menu. EXP GDC doesn't use a soldered cable like PE4C 3.0 does and is reknown for causing Gen2 instability as a result.

why?cable EXP is poor quality?PE4C 3.0 donesn't use cable soldered is support gen 2?thanks

is not possible change only cable?if I change cable with better quality?

Edited by franck

3 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

And where do you think you could get a "better quality" cable?

It's not like Audioquest makes HDMI to Expresscard cables.

buy cable HDMI cut cable and solder

5 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

And where do you think you could get a "better quality" cable?

It's not like Audioquest makes HDMI to Expresscard cables.

buy cable HDMI cut cable and solder

1 hour ago, Arbystrider said:

And what to?

Think about it.

example:https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-Speed-SUPERFLAT-Ethernet/dp/B017C1S0AG/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1471521576&sr=8-52&keywords=hdmi+cable

cut and solder

15 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Experiment with chainloader settings (mode=MBR/bootmgr, remap=selected/inselected) until can get it to chainload to the Windows bootmenu upon which select Windows. The you too set your eGPU gear to run at Gen1 speed using the PCIe Ports->Gen1 Setup 1.30 menu. If using a EXP GDC then note it doesn't use a soldered cable like PE4C 3.0 does and is reknown for causing Gen2 instability as a result.

So, does this mean chainload should work even without a functioning eGPU? I have tried every setting i found but could not get it to run. could this be a hardware issue?

Hi! I Have a setup of ASUS n56vz and gtx650 gpu. dGPU is disabled and compactification is working (with DIY eGPU of course). According to YouTube, everything should work fine - i see both HD4000 and GTX in devices list and both working. But all apps are using just HD4000. Nvidia control panel also working, but shows my internal display connected only to iGPU. I suppose, Optimus just not working (not installed?) by some reason. Drivers are 361.75 Desktop. Win10 x64 LTSB.
I would be very grateful for some help)

Edit: Also, FurMark does see 2 gpu's, and eGPU is primary, but HD4000 is used as GL renderer.

Edited by razz3r
Update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i have a gtx 960 connect via express card but its still error  code 12, and if i connect express card before power on my lap, the screen if freeze in black

My lap: HP dv6t 2300

bios ver: f.1c

dgpu: nvidia 320m

i7 - 8GB ram

window 7 pro 64 bit (or window 10 pro 64 bit if necessary)

Pls help me, more detail more helpful. THanksssssss

Hi, forgive me if it's not correct to post this here. 

I'm using Dell E6230 with 16GB RAM, Windows 10, exp gdc using EC slot and nvidia GTX460

I start by pluging eGPU to the laptop and external monitor and turn on the laptop. Then it show up on external monitor with only eGPU in device manager (without iGPU)

Then I install the lastest nVidia driver and reboot the laptop after finish. After show up the windows logo, it just stuck there, nothing happen.

So, what should I do now? And what should I need to read cuz I'm newbie here and don't know where to start.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Hi, forgive me if it's not correct to post this here. 

I'm using Dell E6230 with 16GB RAM, Windows 10, exp gdc using EC slot and nvidia GTX460

I start by pluging eGPU to the laptop and external monitor and turn on the laptop. Then it show up on external monitor with only eGPU in device manager (without iGPU)

Then I install the lastest nVidia driver and reboot the laptop after finish. After show up the windows logo, it just stuck there, nothing happen.

So, what should I do now? And what should I need to read cuz I'm newbie here and don't know where to start.

See details at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/2141-12-dell-e6230-hd7870gtx660x4gbpsc-ec2-pe4l-21b-win7-Tech Inferno Fan/#post37197

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

You cannot disable your primary GPU (iGPU or dGPU) under Win7 as doing so prevents the eGPU from working. Re-enable it and try again. Only win8/10 (or older XP) allows the eGPU to work when the primary GPU is disabled so try one of those OS if need primary GPU disabled.

Hi, after i enable and install driver for dgpu (nvidia 320m), my egpu (gxt 960) show code 43. I tried to uninstall both and reinstall driver egpu and dgpu, but it's still error code 43.

What can i do?

Untitled1.jpg

Edited by Toan

12 hours ago, Toan said:

Hi, after i enable and install driver for dgpu (nvidia 320m), my egpu (gxt 960) show code 43. I tried to uninstall both and reinstall driver egpu and dgpu, but it's still error code 43.

What can i do?

Windows uses a unified driver for both your NVidia GPUs. Problem is Win7 uses the old GT320M driver that doesn't support the GTX960. Pls upgrade to Win8/10 where you can disable the Nvidia dGPU and install the Nvidia eGPU driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2016 at 1:57 PM, franck said:

amd card work internal lcd laptop?I have cpu intel hd4000

rx470 or 480?

please help,buy rx 470 or gtx960?with rx470 work internal screen laptop or work only external lcd?thx

Edited by franck

6 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

rx470 does not provide an accelerated internal LCD. GTX960 does via the NVidia Optimus feature.

ok thanks nando,therefore rx 470/rx480 work only external lcd?

Yes. anyway is not a good idea use an egpu on internal laptop monitor cause the bandwidth will be divided from back and front connection and will be practically slow.. Much better to go on external big monitor to enjoy the GPU power, if you got at least 2.0 connection and you will use external monitor, you can buy rx470, otherwise go to gtx960.. Anyway if the price is not so different go to nvidia without regret, i've used the msi gtx960 and it worked like charm, no noise, has backplate, warm, pretty, looking perfect for egpu, bye.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 5:00 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

EXP GDC has been noted to be problematic maintaining a reliable Gen2 signal. You've identified the solutions as either downgrading the signal to Gen1 or to use a PE4C V3 (with more reliable soldered cable).

So I just got the PE4C V3.0 mpcie and it is unstable on Gen1 and Gen2. It may be faulty and I contacted the seller for replacement, You think it could be a driver problem?

Wonder if I could get some input on this.

Alienware m14x r2

Windows 10 64-bit

unlocked bios a13

gen3 i7 core

16 gigs ram

GTX650m

eGPU

EXP Beast V8.4d dock

Gigabyte GTX970 Extreme gaming edition

430W EVGA PSU

After some tinkering I was able to disable the onboard vid card (GTX650m) with the unlocked BIOS no problem, booted into windows 10 everything worked great, no error 12 nothing. I ran some tests worked fine. I powered down the laptop then booted back up and got 8 beeps on post. this means the LCD is toast, well not quite, powered off my eGPU and power cycled twice laptop booted into windows with no issues. So when I shut down power on my eGPU, power up the laptop, everything turns on then it does the 8 beeps again. Any insight would be greatly appreciated not very many folks hooking eGPU's up to alienware pc's. I am going to test the other modes when I get home to see if that will change anything.

Update:

I tried the different modes and it still would cause the 8 beeps on post. I did the hot swap method with the WLAN card, changed to the beast pro adapter and powered back on from sleep mode, video card was detected and worked like a charm. Is there a mode I need to change in the bios to allow to bypass the internal display and just use an external monitor?

Edited by slade2099
update

• 3 weeks later...

I have some "magic" on my laptop and need an advice. 

I have very cheap mPCI-E adapter (12$, like this https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/2016-PCI-Express-1X-and-USB-to-Mini-PCI-express-High-Quality-Mini-Pci-e-Adapter/32610100408.html?detailNewVersion=&categoryId=200003088) and it's must support only PCI Gen1 (2.5 Gbps). I also forced my PCI port to use Gen1 (PCI 1.1 x1).

When i'm not load my eGPU - it says that work on 1.1 x1. But when I play games - HWiNFO and GPU-Z says that my GPU (GTX 750Ti) use PCI 2.0 x1 with 5 Gbps. But it is probably impossible...

I use GPU with optimus on internal laptop screen. Is my PC lie to me? How can I test real PCI-E bus speed of my eGPU?

P.S. Sorry for bad english.

Edited by Desm0nt

6 minutes ago, Desm0nt said:

I have some "magic" on my laptop and need an advice. 

I have very cheap mPCI-E adapter (12$, like this https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/2016-PCI-Express-1X-and-USB-to-Mini-PCI-express-High-Quality-Mini-Pci-e-Adapter/32610100408.html?detailNewVersion=&categoryId=200003088) and it's must support only PCI Gen1 (2.5 Gbps). I also forced my PCI port to use Gen1 (PCI 1.1 x1).

When i'm not load my eGPU - it says that work on 1.1 x1. But when I play games - HWiNFO and GPU-Z says that my GPU (GTX 750Ti) use PCI 2.0 x1 with 5 Gbps. But it is probably impossible...

I use GPU with optimus on internal laptop screen. Is my PC lie to me? How can I test real PCI-E bus speed of my eGPU?

P.S. Sorry for bad english.

Use CUDA-Z to measure the Host-to-Device Bandwidth using the following reference. x1 1.1 would be ~190MiB/s, x1 2.0 ~380MiB/s.

Reference CUDA-Z Host-to-Device Bandwidth

NGFF.M2-32Gbps (x4 3.0): 2842 MiB/s link

TB2 -16Gbps (x4 2.0): 1258 MiB/s link

TB1-10Gbps: 781MiB/s link

TB1-8Gbps (x2 2.0): 697MiB/s link

EC2-4Gbps (x1 2.0): 373MiB/s link

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Use CUDA-Z to measure the Host-to-Device Bandwidth using the following reference. x1 1.1 would be ~190MiB/s, x1 2.0 ~380MiB/s.

Thanks for advice.

Optimus PCI-E Compressin has no any effects on these results?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is it possible to connect the desktop gpu to the laptop gpu circuit so that the full x16 power can be utilized?

Like,maybe add another circuit in between the laptop gpu and egpu?

• admin changed the title to eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.