eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi everyone, everything is working fine on my new egpu setup, except my internet CONNECTION.

I'll explain better, while using the egpu (R9 380) my connection falls at 0.2 mbs/s with 400 of ping.

If I start the laptop with the egpu off,so using the integrated hd 4400 my connection boosts at 5mbs/s with 35 of ping.

I've redone the test sevaral times, trying to exclude any other possibility, but I figured out it's obviously the new gpu slowing the connection. CAN SOMEONE HELP? 

To connect the egpu i've removed the wireless card.

MY setup:

Hp pavilion 450 g2

8gb ram

intel i5 4200k

egpu-- R9 380 4gb

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM AND A SOLUTION. THANKS!

I have been reading about egpu and I am thinking of trying it. I am currently using a Lenovo Y580 (Core i7-3610QM). I have a bunch of questions here which will definitely help me make a decision:

1.    Will a PE4C or EXP GDC be better for me? Saw guides for Y580 with EXP GDC but not PE4C. As I do not see Y580 in the hwtools.net compatibility tables, will it even be compatible?

2.    I have seen many post and guides about egpu with a Nvidia card but not AMD card. Do AMD cards have issues for egpu use? I am interested in the R9 380 as its cheaper and performs better (as per reviews) than GTX 960. If there are better options at that price or perhaps a 2nd hand card is better, please do recommend.

3.    Will it be an issue if the cable connecting to the mPCIe will constantly be under the weight of the laptop?

4.    I have read that there might be performance loss by using egpu setups. Is that true? Will it get bottlenecked by the adapter or my processor?

5.    Will the 220W psu that comes with those adapters be enough to power GTX960 or R9 380? 

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by onizukaeikichi

Okay guys, I'm getting a Sapphire R9 380x 4gb ddr5 and a eGPU adaptor that support PCI 2.0, I already have a eGPU adaptor that support PCI 1.1 and also I have another GPU (Sapphire R7 240 1gb ddr5) to make few tests.

I'm not really sure that changes will be huge, in reality I think performance will not vary more than 3-5%. But that's just an opinion!

As soon as my new adaptor and new GPU arrive I can make benchmarking tests to clear this topic out!

I mainly do this because there's so much confusion about PCI type and wrong suggestions can sometimes lead people to spend huge amount of money for nothing (I'm an example, I spent over 250USD only in adaptors because someone told me that PCI type matter and make a huge difference), maybe PCI will make a huge difference, who knows? I will discover if that's the truth.

-STAY TUNED-

Edited by stopchemtrails
Edit

Hi guys,

I've bought ThunderTek/PX: PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion and attached it to my Asus G75VX through TB1 and tried 3 different GPUs with it and they all showed completely different results.

- GeForce GTX 260 didn't work at all; Windows 10 would crash shortly after logon screen is shown,

- GeForce 650 Ti Boost would boot up but windows would disable the eGPU (seemingly at the samo point the above setup would crash), however the external screen connected to the eGPU could be used (this confuses me inexplicably),

- Radeon HD 5670 would work perfectly on first try. No issues at all.

All 3 cards are borrowed for testing only and I will have to buy something but I have no idea what to look for as the above gives me no conclusive clues what works and what doesn't.

So, as the title says, how do I know what will work and what should I look for when buying a GPU for my eGPU setup?

Thank you

Setup:

Asus G75VX

<- Thunderbolt cable ->

ThunderTek PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion (http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/ttpx.html)

<- Connected to 12V output of the PSU ->

500W PSU

<- Extra power for GPU ->

GPU

Edited by 1MyTh

Hi guys, I have a set up that works very mystically. It only works 20% of the time. 

My setup:

Asus K52jc 

I5 460m 

Win 7 ultimate

DSDT Override done

Dell 220w PSU

R9 380

Exp Gdc 8.0.

the drivers for the amd card was successfully installed out of sheer luck. Everytime after I shut down my PC there's only so few chance that the PC will boot into my external monitor with the installed drivers. How I get to install the drivers is simply booting up and checking out whether AMD installer let's me install the drivers( only sometimes the options appear) when it doesn't show I have to keep shut down and boot. I'm very frustrated to about this problem now. This laptop doesn't have the UMA graphics option so I have to turn on the GPU only after BIOS 

On 25/6/2016 at 10:01 PM, stopchemtrails said:

Okay guys, I'm getting a Sapphire R9 380x 4gb ddr5 and a eGPU adaptor that support PCI 2.0, I already have a eGPU adaptor that support PCI 1.1 and also I have another GPU (Sapphire R7 240 1gb ddr5) to make few tests.

I'm not really sure that changes will be huge, in reality I think performance will not vary more than 3-5%. But that's just an opinion!

As soon as my new adaptor and new GPU arrive I can make benchmarking tests to clear this topic out!

I mainly do this because there's so much confusion about PCI type and wrong suggestions can sometimes lead people to spend huge amount of money for nothing (I'm an example, I spent over 250USD only in adaptors because someone told me that PCI type matter and make a huge difference), maybe PCI will make a huge difference, who knows? I will discover if that's the truth.

-STAY TUNED-

Okay guys, PE4C v3.0 arrived and I tested benchmark between PCI1 and PCI2 as I mentioned above.

I tested both with an overclocked Sapphire R7 240, now I bought an R9 380x and I will soon test it too.

PCI GEN1:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2491MHz) x2
GPU model:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 9.17.10.4229/AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 15.300.1025.1001 (2108MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D9
Mode:
1280x720 fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Medium
Tessellation: Disabled

PCI GEN2:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2491MHz) x2
GPU model:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 9.17.10.4229/AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 15.300.1025.1001 (2108MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D9
Mode:
1280x720 fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Medium
Tessellation: Disabled

Worth noting that in the above post, the GPU (R7 240) is very underpowered and will almost never be bottlenecked by bus utilisation.

It is also a Radeon card, which implies that it's (probably) running on an external monitor, which then implies that there is no PCIe bus overhead from Optimus.

24 minutes ago, Arbystrider said:

Worth noting that in the above post, the GPU (R7 240) is very underpowered and will almost never be bottlenecked by bus utilisation.

It is also a Radeon card, which implies that it's (probably) running on an external monitor, which then implies that there is no PCIe bus overhead from Optimus.

Maybe you are true, but a gain of 5fps on 40.5fps total is more than 10% of increased performance... Anyway I wrote I'm waiting a new card, a great one with which I'll repeat the test... Probably you didn't read the whole post ;)

On 6/12/2016 at 1:54 AM, gharimanto said:

I've got little problem with my system after booting.

It was six months ago, but I'm lazy to fix that. But I cannot tear up my laptop forever.

My system specification is described in below (signature)

First, I plug expresscard (ec) into laptop and booting. It was running normally. eGPU detected and it's nothing problem. I can run any games smoothly and benchmark any programs.

But after I shutdown the system and unplug the ec and booting again, I saw bluescreen on the screen that describe whea_uncorrectable error.

So, I must force shutdown with keeping press the power button until system was off.

And this accident got my system, again and again.

What's the solution ? 

Hopefully, I can found it on this thread.

3 weeks and I cannot resolve this problems

anyone ?

after several attempts and several laptops I've found one that works 100% with a egpu,
I recommend this configuration to those who are not very experienced; that  one works out of the box.

dell e6430 iGPU only, pe4c, and video card I used a gtx980 and an external monitor.

zero problems on windows, linux and anywhere.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12899017

Edited by aldimeola81

Hey guys! It's been a while. I finally got my eGPU running, but I cannot get it to use the internal display for the life of me. I am using the nVidia 306.97 drivers and I have Setup 1.30, but I'm kind of at a loss on what to do with it aside from whitelisting. I've been also getting Error 12, so maybe that's why the iGPU and the eGPU aren't playing nice with each other? My TOLUD I believe is 2.75GB so I'm not quite sure why it's being fussy. Maybe I should use PCI-compression on Setup 1.30?

Just to make sure:

TOLUD

ir4MjJd.png

Here are my specs:

Laptop: SL400

IGPU: GM45

RAM: 4GB

EGPU: PNY GT 640 DDR3 (temporary)

EXP GDC BEAST V8

PSU: 90W Laptop Charger 12v

Let me know if you need anything else!

Edit: I was reading the FAQ about the internal LCD display, and I'm thinking maybe it could be my GPU? If so, it's not the end of the world. It works just fine, but I'll shop around for low profile cards in the meantime.

Edited by Beer

Update: Got my Optimus drivers to work :D and it turns out I have to do a DSDT override. I've been stuck with Error 12 for a while, so I took out a stick of RAM and lo and behold, the internal display worked. I'll keep everyone posted when I do the override and/or if something horrible goes wrong haha

Edit 2: My override went smoothly! Got my internal display working! You guys are all awesome <3

Edited by Beer

Hi there, 

i just bought a HP Probook 6460b (Motherboard 68SCE) and i'm planning to build an egpu for it with an "old" gfx lying on my desk (EVGA GTX 950 SC) and i'm courious about some things:

i've read somewhere (can't remember where, it was years ago) that using EFI installed windows 8 or newer will enables you to use egpu without pcie compaction or dsdt override.

Did this work only with a full and legit x64 EFI bios or this will work too with the "experimental" hp efi module for sandy bridge pro/elite book ?

I've read somewhere that Maxwell card eat more memory than keplers and olders, am i right?

and lastly and not the least, i get over 200 errors with DSDT editor and 1 with command line tutorial (all with the original parsed DSDT, without the modification) can someone with a probook 4430s/6460b Elitebook 8460p/w had the same problem and found any solution?

thanks by advance, my egpu knowledge wasn't updated since 5 years (PE4H, GTX570 x2.1, C2D and only 2Gigs of memory so not really up to date or usefull for my case nowaday)

HP Probook 6460b

i5 2520m

12GB DDR3 1333MHz (4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 + 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL8)

Hitachi 250GB 7200rpm

planned egpu => EVGA GTX 950 SC + EXP GDC Beast

ps: sorry if my english hurts your eyes, but i'm doing my best as i didn't write in the Shakespeare language from years, notify me errors and i'll correct them for future readers ;)

Hi guys, I'm looking for someone who can help me to figure out how can I fix the black screen I'm getting everytime windows load.
This is what I have:
Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200
EXP GDC Beast V8.0 (mPCIe)
EVGA 500 Watts PSU
Nvidia GTX 1070

Now the history:
Since 6 month ago I started to use the eGPU to improve my gaming performance. I got a Nvidia Gtx 650 Ti Boost from a friend, and I tried in the EXP GDC Beast and it runs pretty good! Sometimes it crashes and the whole screen freezed, but that card was already doing that before and I used it (i guess it was faulty, idk).
Anyways, I decided to buy the new GTX 1070 and replace my Gtx 650, so I clean all the drivers from the previous card. Then I turned off the laptop, and I replaced the card. When I turn on the laptop it works perfect.....no black screen...no errors! But I didn't have the drivers, so I downloaded the latest driver. I had windows 10 fully updated and everything seems to work fine, but when I was installing the Nvidia drivers it just gave me a black screen during installation, and I have to forcefully turn off my laptop. I turned on again and it passed the bios, but as soon as it was going to finish loading windows, the screen just went black again. 
I tried to install drivers again without connecting the card, and it didn't work. So I tried once more time but I deselected everything (geforce experience, hd audio, etc...) except the graphic driver. So I restarted the laptop and it kept crashing just after load windows....but I restarted it a few more time and suddenly I could get in to the desktop....and I could even play Rocket League with Max setting and it works perfect! 60 fps. Then I close the game and the screen went black again. And it happens the same over and over again. I tried everything, changing the switches on the EXP GDC, disabling and unistalling Intel HD4600 drivers (that's the iGPU, my Toshiba doesn't have dGPU), I even unistall LAN and WiFi drivers. 
I didn't know what to do so I erase everything from my hard disk, and I install Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I installed fully while using the Nvidia GTX 1070 on the eGPU....the I installed the drivers for the Nvidia and it happened again! Black screen everytime windows was finishing loading (Note: is not a "black" screen, the monitor goes stand by because no video signal, but I can even hear the system sounds of windows getting initializing....you know, like the "dam dum din" that makes when you sign in) I didn't know what to do. So I read some forums here but I didn't find anything similar, I just read that it might be something related to gen2 link speed, that might could be fixed by downgrading it to gen1 speed. So I purchased the setup 1.30 DIY and I installed it, and when I run the "setup 1.30 menu-based" while using my eGPU the screen shows nothing, like all the menu just dissapear, however I can run it perfectly without using my eGPU. 

I don't know what can I do. Please guys help me! I'll let you know any information you need,  I even have a video on Youtube showing the whole problem. I really realky really appreciate any help, any advice. Thanks in advance. (Sorry for the long post, and sorry for my english, it's not my native language, I hope you could understand everything) 

I am new to eGPU, and was wondering if I could use it with the following setup:

Alienware M15x (See spoiler, because I know that sometimes people get that one mixed up with the previous model of the same laptop

Spoiler

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm3.st

An Intel Core I7 740QM

8GB RAM

An Internal AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800

an open Express card slot OR the removal of the WiFi card to use the internal mPCIe slot.

I am thinking of getting either GTX 1060 or GTX 1070 to use with the eGPU (Unless those will not work very well with my set-up).

I recently successfully got my egpu working (topic is mentioned in this thread somewhere)

I have one question. I bought a dell adapter for power ( model adp-220ab b )

and I am looking for an extension for it but I cant see any 8 pin to 8 pin that match the design, did dell design it in such a way it cant be extended?

Can someone make any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.06.2015 at 0:18 PM, rorschach_ said:

you should buy nando's egpu setup. i solved my problems with egpu setup. (asus k53sv)

how did you solved whilisting problem?

Hello been trying for a few days to get this all working but i'm nearly beaten.

My setup is:

Pe4c v4.1 with M.2 M key

Evga gtx 960

Dell da-2 adapter

Intel i5-6600T

8gb Ram

Clevo N350DW

There's good news and bad news everything is pretty much plug and play when in UEFI mode the card is recognized, driver installed, connect it to an external monitor and hdmi works but the performance gets progressively slower and laggy until the monitor will eventually no longer receive a source. This is while browsing not even playing games or anything. [Edit] Just ran valley benchmark. GTX 960 was running at 3 fps, graphics 1544mhz, memory 3505mhz, temp 41C compared 5fps of Intel 530. [EDIT]

I've tried running it in MBR mode but the laptop wont boot, just a blank screen and a beep. I did manage to get it to boot with taping what i think was the perst# pin, number 50, i've since lost the pinout diagram annoyingly. Which gave some very unstable results (likely poor taping by me ha)  but it did eventually recognise the card, driver installed but received code 43 in device manager. I can't get 1.30 setup to work either, chainloading fails under mbr2 and startup.bat and i try to switch it to mbr but it just loops so i try option 3 (menu based? maybe can't remember) and it goes to screen with some functions along the top f5/f6 to search for ichip? sorry i should have taken a pic. Basically i haven't a clue how to use this. I might have another go at usb boot with uefi but after setting up the usb and attempting boot from it through uefi it just reboots normally into windows. I'm definitely missing something there. Recently been trying to find a way to see what the M.2 port is doing but not found anything yet. My head is filled with so much rubbish that i don't understand ha. Anywho, if anyones got anything to add please do.

gpuz.jpg

Edited by Thematics
More info

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! i hope some one can help me,

I set up everything as described ("buster"-Adapter, 600W xilence PS, Gigabyte GT730)

After Windows starts i get a nvlddmkm.sys blue screen, sometimes a dxgkrnl.

I read up on some suggestions that this might be caused by a driver conflict with my dGPU, a ATI card.

I tried a few fixes, but non really worked.

In setup 1.30 the card is only detected after some time in the Dos-Menu, and when i check the status, it says inaccessible. chainload failes with MBR and MBR2

Unfortunately i have no means of testing the Hardware but i`m hoping someone can tell me this is a simple software issue :)

help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

hello I have a problem with exp gdc 8.4d,crash with heaven or play with games 

I have used setup 1.30 without results

my HW:

clevo p170em

egpu gtx950 pcie 2.0 x1 with exp gdc 8.4d 5.0gbs mpcie

8gb ram

i7 3630qm 2,4ghz

the card work on peripherals and work on gpuz,only problem crash games, heaven ecc,solution?

Edited by franck

3 hours ago, franck said:

hello I have a problem with exp gdc 8.4d,crash with heaven or play with games 

I have used setup 1.30 without results

my HW:

clevo p170em

egpu gtx950 pcie 2.0 x1 with exp gdc 8.4d 5.0gbs

8gb ram

i7 3630qm 2,4ghz

the card work on peripherals and work on gpuz,only problem crash games, heaven ecc,solution?

Set your eGPU gear to run at Gen1 speed using the PCIe Ports->Gen1 Setup 1.30 menu. EXP GDC doesn't use a soldered cable like PE4C 3.0 does and is reknown for causing Gen2 instability as a result.

7 hours ago, Aganebifutigo said:

Hello! i hope some one can help me,

I set up everything as described ("buster"-Adapter, 600W xilence PS, Gigabyte GT730)

After Windows starts i get a nvlddmkm.sys blue screen, sometimes a dxgkrnl.

I read up on some suggestions that this might be caused by a driver conflict with my dGPU, a ATI card.

I tried a few fixes, but non really worked.

In setup 1.30 the card is only detected after some time in the Dos-Menu, and when i check the status, it says inaccessible. chainload failes with MBR and MBR2

Unfortunately i have no means of testing the Hardware but i`m hoping someone can tell me this is a simple software issue :)

help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Experiment with chainloader settings (mode=MBR/bootmgr, remap=selected/inselected) until can get it to chainload to the Windows bootmenu upon which select Windows. The you too set your eGPU gear to run at Gen1 speed using the PCIe Ports->Gen1 Setup 1.30 menu. If using a EXP GDC then note it doesn't use a soldered cable like PE4C 3.0 does and is reknown for causing Gen2 instability as a result.

• admin changed the title to eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.