eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

On 3/15/2016 at 5:02 PM, dan said:

hi,sparrowsp

could you upload some benchmark along with an gpu-z snapshot (wonder if gen 2 pci-e signal is stable on this laptop along with the beast adapter).I  am looking to upgrade my notebook and could one as yours be an valid option for me, also looking a thinkpad x230.

Thank you!

I will post my benchmark later no need setup or dsdt override.. just plug & play.. ;)

gtx 660.PNG

intel.PNG

Edited by sparrowsp

Hello techno guys. Im just a new member here. I would like to know if theres a solution with my diy egpu problem. I have a lenovo b490 i5 2.6ghz, 8gb ram dgpu nvidia 610m, exp gdc beast 8.3 via mpcie, gtx 750 ti, 600w atx psu, connected to external monitor. Everything works fine but the problem is, when im booting it up from set up 1.30 i always disconnect my external monitor and reconnect it after booting and logging in to windows, because when i dont, the loading screen and logo of lenovo will just hang and will not boot to the os and set up 1.30. If any of you guys have the same situation, can you share to me your solution, Im just afraid my vga connector will wear out in my orthodox process together with my egpu card.

30 minutes ago, Nosferato said:

Hello techno guys. Im just a new member here. I would like to know if theres a solution with my diy egpu problem. I have a lenovo b490 i5 2.6ghz, 8gb ram dgpu nvidia 610m, exp gdc beast 8.3 via mpcie, gtx 750 ti, 600w atx psu, connected to external monitor. Everything works fine but the problem is, when im booting it up from set up 1.30 i always disconnect my external monitor and reconnect it after booting and logging in to windows, because when i dont, the loading screen and logo of lenovo will just hang and will not boot to the os and set up 1.30. If any of you guys have the same situation, can you share to me your solution, Im just afraid my vga connector will wear out in my orthodox process together with my egpu card.

hi,you have to have a delay switch on the exp gdc beast board,try to adjust the time in sec from when the bios detect the external gpu.Good luck!

Hey guys,

I've been working on getting my eGPU working for several weeks now. I have an issue where the eGPU shows up error-free in device manager, but nothing else seems to see it and external monitors don't work. I've posted about this a few times with no responses, so I'm hoping someone here might have an answer or something to point me in the right direction. 

I'm using:

Bplus PE4C V3.0 w/ Dell D220P-01 220w PSU

(I also have a EXP GDC Beast V8.0 w/ same issue and tried two different ATX PSU's)

Dell Latitude e6440 w/ dGPU 

GTX 570

(Have also tried a GTX 560ti with the same issue)

I have seen a few posts describing the same issue, but none with the same Laptop or eGPU (Or a solution). I do have Nando4's Setup 1.30, but nothing I change there seems to get me any closer to a solution. If anyone knows anything that might help me, I would be very, very grateful. 

The new e6430 (igpu only) is arrived, i've tried and it worked like a champ, the strange thing is that: the igpu appear as disabled from bios, but the performance into gaming are better than in my t530 with optimus enabled egpu (same hardware)

anyway, the egpu acts as primary gpu so i can use it also into bios, linux or everywere.

no modding until now, my score in 3dmark 06 is 21000

@dan i had the same problem with my t530, i've changed primary for that cause, you can do a dsdt override to solve but is not an easy step..not for me at least, the guides over that forum are very hard to understand, i don't know why.. maybe I’m only a stupid guy..

@CrzyGK how many gpu are shown into device manager? have you tried to disable the dgpu into windows and restart? are you connecting the egpu before boot with no delay? what o.s are you using?

Edited by aldimeola81

@aldimeola81 I've tried using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Same issue on both). Currently using Windows 10. I have three GPU's showing up in device manger (Intel iGPU, AMD dGPU, and my eGPU). I have tried disabling the dGPU, but I'm not sure that's ever been successful, as I've always seen it appear in device manager after boot. In Setup 1.30 I have tried both the disable and demote option for the dGPU. I have tried using this with delay and without. I have seen everyone recommend this setup with no delay, so that's what I've been testing with the most. 

On 20/12/2015 at 10:26 PM, Taher_Kh said:

Hi guys,

i just wanted to ask if any one of u is using the  EXP GDC Beast with lenovo y510p ...

if any one is using it i want to ask what did he change exactly in the  pc "bios...." and does it work with the manufactor Bios ?

guys anyone can answer me plese i've been  waiting for more than 4 months now :02:

17 hours ago, CrzyGK said:

@aldimeola81 I've tried using Windows 10 and Windows 7 (Same issue on both). Currently using Windows 10. I have three GPU's showing up in device manger (Intel iGPU, AMD dGPU, and my eGPU). I have tried disabling the dGPU, but I'm not sure that's ever been successful, as I've always seen it appear in device manager after boot. In Setup 1.30 I have tried both the disable and demote option for the dGPU. I have tried using this with delay and without. I have seen everyone recommend this setup with no delay, so that's what I've been testing with the most. 

you need to disable dgpu on bios, with a bios commands or modded bios, try to see inside the e6440 thread, i haven't done yet to mine cause it works already fine but there are many mods for that laptops, bye.

Edited by aldimeola81

On 3/20/2016 at 3:48 AM, Nosferato said:

Hi dan. I try your fix like the different combination of the delay swith of my exp gdc beast but still same result. I still need to disconnect my monitor before booting. I even try to put a electric tape to the 22nd pin in my mpcie as suggested from different user as a result, the set up 1.x doesnt recognize any egpu. Do you think its a hardware issue from exp gdc?

Hi dan. I try your fix like the different combination of the delay swith of my exp gdc beast but still same result. I still need to disconnect my monitor before booting. I even try to put a electric tape to the 22nd pin in my mpcie as suggested from different user as a result, the set up 1.x doesnt recognize any egpu. Do you think its a hardware issue from exp gdc?

No, the pe4c do the same thing, is a problem regarding some laptop..

Computer: Mac Pro Desktop (Cylinder) with 12-core Xeon, 64GB Ram, internal AMD FirePro D700 Dual, 1 TB SSD.

eGPU: eVGA Nvidio 980 TI, AkiTio Thunder 2, 300W power supply, riser, etc.

Running latest El Capitan and installed Windows 10 via Bootcamp prior. eGPU Works perfectly in El Capitan. Windows 10 giving Code 12 for the 980 TI.

Purchased @Tech Inferno Fan Setup1.3  (Sorry to hear about the accident Nando4 :( ). Instructions clearly say needs partition to be MBR/BIOS and I have GPT/UEFI. Also says set BIOS to CSM/Legacy. Decided might be a good opportunity to clean house, so instead of mucking with things I backed up all my data, wiped the drive and did a clean install of El Capitan. During the install it asked me what type of partition. I tried to select MBR, but it told me it could not install El Capitan on an MBR partition, so I'm stuck at GPT again. Does this mean that Setup1.3 won't work while running Windows on Mac hardware?

Thank you for reading! I have a shiny new Vive just sitting here collecting dust, and a powerful PC with underpowered video. Sad day.

On 6. 3. 2016 at 3:55 PM, Mugsat said:

Hello mates,

I'm just little bit confused. I have Elitebook 8540w which contains :

edit: I'M using PE4L-EC060A 

CPU :Intel Core i7 840QM

Chipset:  Intel QM57 Express

4GB ram (for test i remowed the added 12ram)

With igpu - ati firepro m5800

running WINDOWS 10

Trying to connect Nvidia GTX 750 2GB

At first - I did LOT of reading about this DIY EGPU. 

I bought PE4L for expresscard. 

I have 350w PSU for GPU. 

I checked TOLUD - it is 3.25GB

I figgured out - I can't start with GPU - it throws some error about incorrect sound card is plugged in. 

WHen I start to windows, plug in and power up the GPU - i got known error 12. 

I readed about DSDT override. So I downloaded attached tools IASL and acpidump. 

iasl -g
acpidump -b

iasl -g is ok. 

When I'm trying decompile created .dat file, i got errors :

Non-ASCII character [0xCB] found in line 1, file offset 0x05
Non-ASCII character [0xA0] found in line 3, file offset 0x51
Non-ASCII character [0x93] found in line 3, file offset 0x53
Non-ASCII character [0x82] found in line 4, file offset 0x62
Non-ASCII character [0xEA] found in line 4, file offset 0x63
Non-ASCII character [0xA0] found in line 7, file offset 0x6B
Non-ASCII character [0x94] found in line 7, file offset 0x6E
Non-ASCII character [0xA0] found in line 9, file offset 0x91
Non-ASCII character [0x92] found in line 9, file offset 0x94
Non-ASCII character [0x93] found in line 9, file offset 0x95
18 non-ASCII characters found in input source text, could be a binary file
Error    4063 - Invalid characters found in file DSDT_1521.dat

So I tryied acpidump -b call. It gives me .dat file, that can be decompiled with iasl. 

BUT... again - i got some warnings in this step. 

iasl.thumb.jpg.35d620e6562ed33ba169aaefd

I still tryied to include described string into this decompiled file, and then put it back with 

iasl -oa dsdt.dsl

But I got errors in parsing 

Compiler aborting due to parser-detected syntax error(s)
dsdt.dsl  19723:                 0x01 = VGDD /* External reference */
Error    6126 -                      ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_EXP_EQUALS
dsdt.dsl  19954:                     0x00
Error    6126 -                        ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_INTEGER
ASL Input:     dsdt.dsl - 21815 lines, 776779 bytes, 7776 keywords
Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

I Also added dsdt.dsl file. 

Do anybody has some idea how to fix this issues? 

Best regards,

Mugsat

tolud.jpg

dsdt.rar

Still nobody able to help? :(

Additional question - will setup 1.3 help in this case

Edited by Mugsat

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, Mugsat said:

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, Mugsat said:

Hi Mugsat! the best method to do DSDToverride for me is to use DsdtEditor ,found here:http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62nts

Easy and clean extraction of the dsdt.aml,used by me in windows 7,8,10 never failed.

Previous you have to install java in order to work properly.then you have to install asl compiler version 4.0 for windows 7 and version 5.0 for windows 10.

• Founder
6 hours ago, dan said:

hey,is Tech Inferno Fan allright?

I read something about an accident.

Hope it is ok.

We haven't heard any news but we're hoping he makes a recovery soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, I am having a bit of trouble getting my egpu detected.

I have a lenovo w530: ( I researched to make sure it would work and there were others that had a successful egpu set up on the w530, none with the same problem though :( )

i7 3720qm

16 gb ram (2x8gb two ram slots are faulty)

1tb hdd 

intel hd 4000

nvidia quadro k1000m

Win 7 Prof. 64 bit service pack 1 (can upgrade to 10 if that would help)

gtx 660 graphics and testing with a gt 520 as well (works - tested)

corsair vs450 psu ( works - tested)

gdc v8 beast egpu express card slot. (?)

All hardware is tested and working. (not sure about the adapter though). I switch off the laptop and plug the express card slot in. the adapter lights up (blue) and graphics cards fans spin when i switch on the laptop. But when i get into windows there is no detection. I thought maybe the pcie lane on the adapter was broken (usb port on the v8 works fine though, tested my mouse on it) but the gt 520 doesnt need external power, and it still spins up showing that the pcie lane is still giving power as well.

Bios:

Express slot is - enabled (Have tested a usb hub and it works in the express card slot)

network rom option - disabled

display method is - Nvidia Optimus (Have tried setting it to only intel graphics but still doesn't detect egpu)

Operating system automatic optimus detect - enabled.

Express card speed i set to gen 1 (also tried automatic, doesn't work)

So does this mean new adapter needed? (Hope not) 

or is lenovo leaving me with a whitelist present? (could whitelisting even prevent detection from expresscard? dunno - im a noob)

Please help! I'm a student so this is an expensive en-devour already.

Edited by GreenApples

How can I do it so that I don't have to go into the menu to deactivate the dGPU everytime? Even when I select the preselected option (run setup.bat) the dGPU is not disabled.

I feel like I am missing a step.

Thanks

I just realizd I had to press F3 to add it to startup.bat

Edited by aoe2exp

19 hours ago, Brian said:

We haven't heard any news but we're hoping he makes a recovery soon. 

Thanks for answering.

wish him to recover very soon.

• Brian pinned this topic
Hi guys,

i just wanted to ask if any one of u is using the  EXP GDC Beast with lenovo y510p ...

if any one is using it i want to ask what did he change exactly in the  pc "bios...." and does it work with the manufactor Bios ?

guys anyone can answer me plese i've been  waiting for more than 4 months now :02:

Hey I have a y510p but I use pe4c v3.0 adapter. What you need to change is configuration tab, change graphic device to UMA only.

One thing I'll tell you is that I'm not satisfied with performance as I have a gtx970 and internal laptop screen and can't go beyond 48-49fps no matter what graphic settings I have on games, also I have more fps drop than without Egpu. So would only recommend doing this if you're gonna be using external screen mostly as fps aren't limited.

I have my exp gdc with gtx770 up and running only con is, its on a second monitor. I have seen people who had there exp gdc on there internal display and thats what i need, i only can't find how to do this. Does any of you know? and can you guys help me out?

Hello and for the past two days I have been tryiing to get my EGPU set up to work on myHP probook 6540P with intel HD 300 graphics. I have about 8 gb of ram as well and used the DIY program. I keep getting error 12 and I tried doing the DSTD override but I'm getting confused on how to do it. In addition I read HP whitelisted certain ports which makes this a little complicated either way, with the DIY program I was able to make it detectable but i'm still getting error 12. Can anyone help and would upgrading to window's 10 be useful to me? Since I used to run an egpu on my asus rog but I do not have that anymore so I'm trying to run the egpu on this older laptop

Hello eveyone.

So I am new to the forum.

And I have searched for my problem but couldn't find anything so if I missed it sorry upfront.

I have all  a packard bell easy note tv44hc

İ5-3230

8 gb DDR3

and 2gb geforce710m

I plugged and made all the connections with a evga gtx 970

I don't have external  monitor so I want to use my laptops monitor.

have my 1.30 setup usb booted.

First of all I cannot deselect normap

I tried a variety of options and I always end up with "[MDR] NOREMAP=Y Disk remapping disabled" black screen after chain loader test run.

I will be very glad if you help. Thanx.

Nvidia's Optimus drivers can pair internal Intel graphics with the Nvidia card to display onto the laptop screen. Look around the forums a bit and there should be some info.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.