eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

8 hours ago, greda146 said:

Was a little help means I bought this laptop Beast EXP GDC Independent External Video Card Dock and then I bought this NVidia GT 630 2GB GV-N630-2GI ei bought this EGPU setup e and now I have put in graphic EXP GDC so I joined all the this power supply LC Power Office 500W (LC500H-12V2.2) e and now I have this express card or Mini PCI-e Cable is when i connect the laptop express card is turned on and everything is working. Signs without EGPU setup works and begin to instaliravati drivers of graphics and that is whether it is normal that it is a normal process that you do not need a setup or EGPU. It is the Lenovo X201 is now whether it was normal to me now laptop only works on Nvidia grfickoj do not need the more graphic and if it's possible that I do not need dodnati monitor but to use his monitor of a laptop I would sOMEONE clarify it for me that now because I lost it for

To be able to use the internal LCD to be accelerated by the eGPU, a feature known as NVidia Optimus, you require:

1. An Intel HD or better internal graphics (HD iGPU)

2. A NVidia GTS450 or newer video card

3. Windows 7 or 8.x only. Windows 10 has broken NVidia Optimus so will not work https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8918-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem/

Now some systems' BIOS will switch off the HD iGPU upon detecting the eGPU on bootup. Maybe X201 is one? If so, need to ensure the BIOS does not see the eGPU on bootup by either using the delay switches (CTD/PTD) on it OR hotplug the expresscard after BIOS bootup but before the operating system loading.

You can check if NVidia Optimus is engaged by opening the NVidia control panel on the HD iGPU attached LCD, clicking Adjust Image. Then a NVidia logo will spin around. Alternatively, run a benchmark like Resident Evil 5 or 3dmark06 on the internal LCD with and without the eGPU attached. The results with the eGPU will be noticably faster.

I've read some post about impossibility of doing egpu setup over t530 for tolud problem and lack of modded bios  and i'm a bit scared, i've spent over 750$ for this project..

I'll be able 'to use the connection speed 3.0 pci express? I saw that the CPU supports it, or the chipset will 'work in 2.0? over your faq the speed of ivy bridge is unspecified, depens from cpu or is fixed regarding chipset?

the T530 with only Intel integrated will support 'optimus? or I'd better buy the version with even dgpu nvidia? generally for doing egpu mods is better a laptop with only intel HD gpu or a switchable intel/dgpu?
i've seen lenovo made a driver for optimus over windows 10 regarding t530 switchable graphics can i try to use it with my gtx960 or will be impossible?
thanks a lot!

(sorry for my bad english)

40 minutes ago, aldimeola81 said:
I've read some post about impossibility of doing egpu setup over t530 for tolud problem and lack of modded bios  and i'm a bit scared, i've spent over 750$ for this project..

I'll be able 'to use the connection speed 3.0 pci express? I saw that the CPU supports it, or the chipset will 'work in 2.0? over your faq the speed of ivy bridge is unspecified, depens from cpu or is fixed regarding chipset?

the T530 with only Intel integrated will support 'optimus? or I'd better buy the version with even dgpu nvidia? generally for doing egpu mods is better a laptop with only intel HD gpu or a switchable intel/dgpu?
i've seen lenovo made a driver for optimus over windows 10 regarding t530 switchable graphics can i try to use it with my gtx960 or will be impossible?
thanks a lot!

(sorry for my bad english)

Ivy Bridge supports maximum PCIe 2.0 (Gen2) speed on the expresscard/mPCIe slot.  BPlus PE4C V3.0 with it's soldered cable the eGPU adapter with best chance to provide glitch free Gen2 eGPU operation.

There are issues with Win10 Optimus mode: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8918-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem/ . Those problems have been confined to using the desktop driver. No reports yet in that thread of anybody modifying the mobile driver INF with desktop card PCI-IDs to see if it fixes the problem. A possibility. Otherwise Win7/Win8.x Optimus works well.

TOLUD issues can be solved with either:

1. modded/update/rollbacked BIOS that lowers TOLUD

2. getting the dGPU model, disable the dGPU and hijaak it's PCIe space using Setup 1.30

3. applying a DSDT override

32 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Ivy Bridge supports maximum PCIe 2.0 (Gen2) speed on the expresscard/mPCIe slot.  BPlus PE4C V3.0 with it's soldered cable the eGPU adapter with best chance to provide glitch free Gen2 eGPU operation.

There are issues with Win10 Optimus mode: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8918-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem/ . Those problems have been confined to using the desktop driver. No reports yet in that thread of anybody modifying the mobile driver INF with desktop card PCI-IDs to see if it fixes the problem. A possibility. Otherwise Win7/Win8.x Optimus works well.

TOLUD issues can be solved with either:

1. modded/update/rollbacked BIOS that lowers TOLUD

2. getting the dGPU model, disable the dGPU and hijaak it's PCIe space using Setup 1.30

3. applying a DSDT override

then I can sleep, I bought the right parts and the model is supported though nobody seems to have tried yet.
if necessary, I'll buy 'definitely your setup. 1.30 (I'm curious to know if it works on USB drives made with  great  "Easy2boot"  I use to install several systems operating systems each day on different computers)

sorry if I insist but about the compatibility and plug and play  egpu install what  is better: a PC with only intel iGPU or iGPU + dgpu?

thanks.

38 minutes ago, aldimeola81 said:

sorry if I insist but about the compatibility and plug and play  egpu install what  is better: a PC with only intel iGPU or iGPU + dgpu?

thanks.

If are confident of doing a DSDT override then the T530 iGPU model would be the preferred option.  Usually less costly than the dGPU model. arteart successfully applied a DSDT override on a iGPU-only T430 at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/ which then gives a plug'n'play solution. 

11 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

If are confident of doing a DSDT override then the T530 iGPU model would be the preferred option.  Usually less costly than the dGPU model. arteart successfully applied a DSDT override on a iGPU-only T430 at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/ which then gives a plug'n'play solution. 

I'm not really familiar to use DSDT override, however, it seems to me possible to do .. but 'I'd rather do it on startup, with an external software independent from the OS (such as your setup 1.3) if it can do this ;  

it's sure I should 'to override, or any model works in its own way how can i know it before buy  a laptop?

Another doubt: the setup 1.3 write only into temporary memory or change something into bios? so is there any possibility of doing some permanent  damage with wrong setup or no? the configuration must be done every times windows boot or it can remember last used one?

in my Thinkpad I dual boot with 2 different ssd (use windows just to play games and ubuntu for everything else)
in ubuntu I do not think I'm gonna need 'to use the external GPU, the Intel card  will be' more 'than enough
to play hd movies.
I was also thinking of replacing the internal LCD panel with a FHD compatible with the model; do you think there will be problems in relation to egpu ? maybe using internal lcd the pci express 2.0 is too slow to hard gaming at high resolution?
sorry for all these questions, I discovered the world egpu for a week and I fell in love, then I read all the forums for hours but doubts are still many.

1 hour ago, aldimeola81 said:

I'm not really familiar to use DSDT override, however, it seems to me possible to do .. but 'I'd rather do it on startup, with an external software independent from the OS (such as your setup 1.3) if it can do this ;  

it's sure I should 'to override, or any model works in its own way how can i know it before buy  a laptop?

Another doubt: the setup 1.3 write only into temporary memory or change something into bios? so is there any possibility of doing some permanent  damage with wrong setup or no? the configuration must be done every times windows boot or it can remember last used one?

in my Thinkpad I dual boot with 2 different ssd (use windows just to play games and ubuntu for everything else)
in ubuntu I do not think I'm gonna need 'to use the external GPU, the Intel card  will be' more 'than enough
to play hd movies.
I was also thinking of replacing the internal LCD panel with a FHD compatible with the model; do you think there will be problems in relation to egpu ? maybe using internal lcd the pci express 2.0 is too slow to hard gaming at high resolution?
sorry for all these questions, I discovered the world egpu for a week and I fell in love, then I read all the forums for hours but doubts are still many.

Yes, a DSDT override can be applied in memory via Setup 1.30, alleviating the need to make registry changes (inc turning on test signing mode in Win8/10).

If going that route then the T530 dGPU model then has some more flexibility than the iGPU model. You can disable the dGPU and hijaak it's PCIe config space to host the eGPU making the DSDT override unnecessary.

Changing HD to FHD panels may require an upgrade from a single to dual-LVDS cable that connects from the systemboard to the LCD panel. Investigate on the forums or with Lenovo. These are the highly praised 95% gamut LVDS panels found in W520/W530 systems:

http://lepus-tech.com/Laptop-LCD-LED-Panel/Panel-15.6/B156HW01-V4 (matte)

http://lepus-tech.com/Laptop-LCD-LED-Panel/Panel-15.6/B156HW01-V7 (glossy)

Accelerated internal LCD mode requires part of your x1 2.0 expresscard bandwidth to shuttle display image data across. An external LCD attached to the eGPU uses that x1 2.0 bandwidth exclusively, so will give better gaming performance.

@Tech Inferno Fan

I hope at least to succeed, I read only cases of failure on the T530 with only iGPU in various forums in all languages .. I hope to change things, because I bought it for this project when I saw that he was among Recommended laptops.

about the w510 I was right to change it or you could get similar results with a egpu?
the NVIDIA Quadro FX880M also supports Optimus I saw, and I saw that AIDA64 recognize  PCIExpress as 2.0 ..maybe your software could get it running well in internal display?

the W510 has already 'a great screen FHD and a cpu i7-920XM extreme, I am very sorry to sell it.

1 minute ago, aldimeola81 said:

@Tech Inferno Fan

I hope at least to succeed, I read only cases of failure on the T530 with only iGPU in various forums in all languages .. I hope to change things, because I bought it for this project when I saw that he was among Recommended laptops.

about the w510 I was right to change it or you could get similar results with a egpu?
the NVIDIA Quadro FX880M also supports Optimus I saw, and I saw that AIDA64 recognize  PCIExpress as 2.0 ..maybe your software could get it running well in internal display?

the W510 has already 'a great screen FHD and a cpu i7-920XM extreme, I am very sorry to sell it.

W510 is only Gen1 (x1 1.1) eGPU capable. Definitely want a Gen2 capable 2nd-gen i-core or newer machine like the W510. Furthermore, the W510 has no active iGPU so could never provide NVidia Optimus.

Though one big positive of the W510 is according to http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=94738  is has the highly regarded B156HW01 v4 LCD (FHD, dual-channel LVDS 40-pin, matte, 95% gamut). You may then consider swapping your W510 and T530 LCDs.

1 hour ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

unfortunately I can not; the customer (my brother) wants to use the w510 with 3D modeling programs and screen fhd is the thing that 'convinced him.

if it will work 'well, I'll buy' another panel of w510 and will put it on the T530, of course I will inform 'first on cable and compatibility.

edit: someone has already done an egpu setup over t530 igpu only

http://blog.lastlog.de/posts/setup-1.x/

for now you just have to wait, you're very kind, thank you.

Edited by aldimeola81

On 12/30/2015 at 10:53 AM, ErxT said:

Hello everybody,

Greetings to everybody from Estonia.

I am new to this forum and also new to the eGPU community. I have opted for the eGPU probably for similar reasons than you.

Here is where I stand. Having had some recommendations from some links on the internet and fellow enthusiasts from Estonia, I have assembled a following setup:

Laptop:

Dell Latitude e6420 

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM 
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
256GB Samsung PM830 SSD 
14" WSXGA 1600x900 
Intel® HD Graphics 3000 

Windows 7 Professional

eGPU:

Cooler Master 130 Elite 
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Classified 
PE4L-EC060A 
Seasonic G-550

Bitfenix Recon

Yesterday, I booted it up and all the fans started working at full speed. Then I plugged it into the computer and nothing happened. After restarting, the fans slowed down but still nothing. Can you guys point me to right direction? :)

i got a small update. I tried all the possible positions on the two switches on the adapter, but unfortunately again, with no results. I also update my bios from A8 to A22. Sad to say, that also didn't work. Are there severe problems with my setup? Do I need to read some extra material or is the eGPU software required to make this setup work?

Hello,

I have problem with my eGPU setup, which contains:

Lenovo T420i

• Intel Core i5 2430m
  • Intel HD 3000
  • 10 GB RAM (8 + 2)
  • 240 GB SSD
  • Windows 10

EXG GDC Beast ExpressCard

Gainward GTX 460 764 MB

450W PSU

Performance of my eGPU is really bad. According benchmarks its perfromance is about 50 - 70 % lower in comparison with other people using this GPU in conventional PC. It seems like GTX460 is working in some power saving mode because even its fan is working on lowest speed even when benchmark runs. I've tried many possible solutions, but nothing works.

• My eGPU is connected to external monitor and I'm using latest desktop drivers.
  • Hotplug is not working in my case, I have to swich the laptop off, connect ExpressCard EXP GDC and then turn the laptop on. When I hotplug eGPU into booted computer, nothing happens - eGPU is not detected in device manager.
  • I had to swich to gen1 speed because when I'm using "automatic" option, eGPU setup is not working - device manager says that GTX 460 is OK (but it is not - external monitor is not working) and on integrated HD3000 is warn sign and Code 43 error. When gen1 everything seems working fine but with very low performace.
  • I also tried to completely remove iGPU and eGPU drivers and reinstall it.
  • HD audio from nvidia is deactivated.

Thank you for your advice

Edited by Was3k

I recently bought a Nvidia GeForce 960 Strix from Asus and a EXP GDC Beast 8. When I first started I had the error 43 in the device manager, after a few hours I fixed it with the Nvidia Display Driver Uninstaller and the DIY eGPU Setup 1.3, then the error code 12 appeared and I could never fix it. Then a few hours later, the error code 43 appeared again and when I tried to fix it like the 1ºst time, it didn't work.

I have search almost every page of google and I couldn't find a solution, If someone knows how to fix please reply.

On 11/16/2015 at 0:49 PM, CB400SF said:

1) driver problem: uninstall nvidia drivers with driver cleaner (eg driver sweeper from guru3d) and try install with lastest nvidia driver.

2) hardware problem: install the GTX 760 on a desktop and see if it works. and get another graphics card(I recommend a card using diffrent core, eg. GK106(gtx 660)) and install it on egpu to determine whether the egpu is bad or not.

3) BIOS problem: if there is no good after you done 1) and 2), the problem is on your motherboard BIOS or its design.

4) PCIe link speed: go bios setup and see if there is menu called like 'expresscard speed' or something, and if the menu exists, try set to Gen1.

maybe you already done with all of 1~3, I guess, hope 4) helps.

the 4) worked on Thinkpad X220.

Should I set the External GPU on Gen1?

Edited by Face

Can someone plese explain why my nvidia 960 is hidden in devicee manager and dosent display anything? It sometimes works but when i reboot this happens imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20151230%2F8f05fb4cad39df3533c15c3b2a932966.jpg&key=0b689fc1d60a0432b3a318a4874b909d7fc444b083a6e280965cf795c8a42373

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Tried everything and still cant get it to work.. after a clean windows instalation I cant even install the driver all I see is microsoft basic display adapter (still hidden) and diy egpu setup dosent even recognise the card at all.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hello,

I have dell e5430 and exp gdc aries v7.0a. It works fine when i connect it via mpcie slot but I bought another cable for expresscard slot and now when i plug it in, nothing happens. The gpu and exp gdc switches on but nothing is detected in my device manager. Any guess whats going wrong?

Hello everyone.
Writing through an interpreter.
Ask advice from the forum participants. Describe the problem and options who have tried to correct.
*** Have available the asus n750jv
ATX 700 watt. EXP GDC ver.8.3 E. connect via a PCIe cable. Video card GTX 760.
Windows 10 / GPT / RAM 8 gb/ hdd 1tb.
In the BIOS there is no possibility to disable dGPU.
EXP GDC indicator light is blue light.
*** Describe the problem. 
Video card is defined in Windows, but throws an error 43.
When booting DIY eGPU Setup from USB fails: "'compact' crashdumped so cannot do PCI Compaction on this system." 
In the main menu there is no "PCI compaction"

We tested the performance on the asus n53s laptop (Windows 10 / MBR) no problem!!!

*** That tried to do to solve the problem ***

1.1. Remove drivers from dGPU using DDU
1.2. Installing drivers for the eGPU
1.3. Error 43 remained.
1.4. Disable dGPU in DIY eGPU Setup.
1.5. Disk conversion: GPT to MBR 
1.6. Reinstall Windows on version 8\8.1.\10 and MBR
1.7. Tried options with switching delays in the EXP GDC
1.8. Checked all connections
1.9. Tried to change ATX
1.10. Just tried all the variants described above, after reinstalling windows

Again note that in a system with a asus n53s laptop no problems, no problems found and DIY eGPU Setup on the same USB loads fine and everything works.

Can someone tell me how to solve the problem with the " 'compact' crashdumped so cannot do PCI Compaction on this system." And the lack of the item "PCI compaction" In DIY eGPU Setup. Assume that if to solve this problem, then everything will work perfectly.
Wrote a private message to forum member "Morv". He described ( https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1636-diy-egpu-experiences-version-20/&page=76 ) are identical (same as me) the problem that he had with the asus n550jv, but he apparently does not see the message. I wonder how he solved this problem in 2013. 

Thanks to all who helped with advice.

I have just finished hooking up my psu, to a gtx 760. It is connected to the Atikio box, with a molex powered risercable. Everything is getting power. My thunderbolt connection shows the box is attached. Device Manager also shows the Nvidia 760 and I installed the recommended drivers it suggested. (I tried the exe from nvidia, but it kept saying it could not see the device.)

I have ran Fallout 4 on high, 1080 p and it is highly laggy.  The only other game I had installed on this laptop was Burnout paradise which should be able to run with no issues on a GTX 760 but is lagging as well. 

I have the zbook 15 (g1 series).

- Intel i7-4700MQ

- GTX 760

- 32 MB ram

- Thunderbolt cable

- 500 watt OCZ psu (which I used to have this and the gfx card in a desktop for a while now)

It responds when I unlug thunderbolt and plug it back in. It knows there is a device. It just seem to really be utilizing it. 

These are the steps I initially followed. 

https://odd-one-out.serek.eu/thunderbolt-2-egpu-setup-using-akitio-thunder2/

What could I be missing? 

Some Updates:

I discovered after I got through all this that Windows 10 and Optimus do not get along for these setups. I have downgraded to windows 8.1.  I am not using an external monitor. (I could, but I was under the impression if you have Optimus, that's how you can use your own laptop screen)

It is detected in Device Manager fine, it accepted the 8.1 drivers like a champ and my thunderbolt screen still says the box is an allowed device.  I tried to run fallout 4 on high settings 1080p, and it was like slower than just running the zbook with default mobile graphics. So something must be wrong. 

Is there a specific driver I should try? 

If you want to use Optimus, you currently have to have the following setup:

- Laptop with Intel Iris iGPU that can power the internal display

- NO dGPU (Geforce or Quadro) activ in the system (disabled in the BIOS)

- an external Nvidia eGPU

- Windows 8.1 (for the MacBook users for sure, should be your best option as well)

6 hours ago, Dschijn said:

If you want to use Optimus, you currently have to have the following setup:

- Laptop with Intel Iris iGPU that can power the internal display

- NO dGPU (Geforce or Quadro) activ in the system (disabled in the BIOS)

- an external Nvidia eGPU

- Windows 8.1 (for the MacBook users for sure, should be your best option as well)

Thank you.  

- The Zbook 15, does have the Intel Iris Technology. :encouragement:

- This might be my issue. I assume the D in dGPU is for discrete. I do not show an option for this. The closest I have is Hybrid Graphics, with options Enable, Disable, and Auto. If I use Enable or Auto, I get all three display units in Device Manager: Intel, Quadro, Geforce. If I select Disable, I only get the Quadro and the Geforce.  If it would help the discussion I am more than happy to provide all the options my bios gives. I could be over looking it.:dispirited:

- I do have the external setup. I have the power supply (500 watt ocz, which was used when it was in a desktop), Zotac GTX 760, Into a 8x to 16x Molex powered riser card, which then connects into the Akitio Thunderbolt 2 box, and the out put is a 9ft Thunderbolt 2 cable. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.