eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks, I´ve read plenty of stuff but still have some doubts. Like, if there is a difference in using a pe4l vs a exp gdc v6.0 with this laptop.

Yes there is a preference for the BPlus PE4C V3.0 over EXP GDC as explained in the headers at:

https://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-3-x-2-x-discussion.html

https://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/6643-exp-gdc-beast-ares-v7-v6-discussion.html

1. What's the problem?

Black screen .

2. Have you consulted the Troubleshooting FAQ to resolve the issue?

The ptd/ctd dont worked. Just force closed my pc

3. Have you consulted the Pre-Purchase FAQ --> "2. How can I check if my notebook is compatible with an eGPU?"

Yes. Have seen a few people get worked with my laptop

Platform Description

1. 8.1 Os

2. İ7 3632qm

3. 8 gb RAM

4. Exp gdc beast / gtx 960 4gb ftw

5. Dell 220 w adapter.

Dgpu : 635m

Also dont have a whitelist anymore . I have flashed a modded one.

Im trying since one week and dont know what to do anymore

Hello guys & gals!

Since I've been out of the eGPU game for over a year I was thinking that it's time to sell of my stuff.

The most desirable hardware I own would probably be the Thunder2Box (unmodified) along with PE4L 2.1b / EXP GDC / and more.

Should I make a sales thread for this @Tech Inferno Fan and if so, where do I do it?

This doesn't mean I wont be lurking around in the forums now and then, this is still a very existing subject to me and I the community will continue to grow!

I'd also like to thank Nando for all interesting discussions over the years, it's been a blast!

I'm looking forward to come back with a new implementations in the future =)

EDIT: Dammit, reading all these new implementation threads makes me wanna implement something new =)

Hello,

I have a Y510p, with modded bios. I'm using PE4C and I managed to use the wifi slot. The eGPU is detected in cpuz & by amd driver detect. But it seems like my laptop is not using it, instead it's using the same 750M :culpability:

post-40958-14495001312499_thumb.jpg

any ideas ?

Hello,

I have a Y510p, with modded bios. I'm using PE4C and I managed to use the wifi slot. The eGPU is detected in cpuz & by amd driver detect. But it seems like my laptop is not using it, instead it's using the same 750M :culpability:

any ideas ?

Have you yet tried inactivate the dGPU in BIOS to see if your system will accept your eGPU as primary card?

EDIT: Sorry assumed you had an iGPU as fallback

Have you yet tried inactivate the dGPU in BIOS to see if your system will accept your eGPU as primary card?

EDIT: Sorry assumed you had an iGPU as fallback

In I have the slv7 mod for bios. and on video config i can't find any option to deactivate eGPU, I only enabled PEG, but i don't think that helped in anyway.

Hi guys

It looks like my setting is a bit different than others because I already have a NVIDIA dGPU installed in my system:

Notebook: Fujitsu Celsius H710

CPU: Intel Core i7-2720QM (4 Cores)

Memory: 16 GB RAM

dGPU: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M

I know that this is definitely not the worst setting to work with, but of course never enough when it comes to serious gaming. And in my case I mainly wanted to play Second Life in higher settings. So I bought an EXP GDC V7.0 Beast and an ASUS GeForce GTX 750 which I connected to my Expresscard slot. Everything worked out flawlessly. I could Plug & Play the adapter and the card and everything was up and running smoothly. Windows detected both cards immediately and I can now switch between them as I like by activating/deactivating either of them. I even have the same driver for both cards (359.06).

But... I forgot about this 1x, 2x, 4x, and 16x restriction thing. I guess that this is the reason, why my new GTX 750 (eGPU) is definitely much weaker than the pre-installed Quadro 1000M (dGPU). HWiNFO64 is telling me, that my dGPU (NVIDIA Quadro 1000M) is running on a PCI Express x16 Bus #1 (Version 2.0), while the GTX 750 runs on the PCI Express x1 Bus #2 (Version 2.0). When I open the detailed information about the cards, I get it confirmed that my dGPU is running @16x:

NVIDIA Quadro 1000M [Fujitsu]

Version: 2.0

Maximum Link Width: 16x

Current Link Width: 16x

Maximum Link Speed: 5.0 Gb/s

Current Link Speed: 5.0 Gb/s

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (GM107-300)

Version: 3.0

Maximum Link Width: 16x

Current Link Width: 1x

Maximum Link Speed: 8.0 Gb/s

Current Link Speed: 2.5 Gb/s

So the situation is pretty much clear for me – and indeed: the GTX 750 is much weaker in all the benchmarks I tested (more than 50% lower performance) although the card itself should be much better. Can I do anything against this 1x restriction of the GTX 750 which is (I guess) because of the Expresscard slot restriction? Is there anything which I can improve there or is this the maximum I can get? Would it make sense to buy a PE4H v2.4a and try to get 2 lanes running (a second lane with the existing mPCIe slot)? Or should I try the PE4C v2.1 to get the chance for PCIe 2.0? I mean, is my setting by default so bad that I can’t get a better gaming performance on this Notebook? I guess that even a better GPU won’t help here.

Thanks so much for your input

Hi.

I've got a Dell M4700, EXP GDC (mPCIe) and an nVidia GTX 770. This combo has been working perfectly without any modifications.

Recently I decided to replace the CPU (runs too hot, over 75°C at load). So, I swapped out the 3720QM with a 3940XM. Then, problems arose...

Now, none of my discrete GPUs are detected anymore. Only the iGPU (intel). K2100M and GTX 770 are nowhere to be found.

I got the setup 1.30 earlier even though I didn't need it then. If I start it now, in menu mode, I get a grey box telling me the eGPU isn't detected. Tried to change a few settings but nothing happens (no idea what I'm doing).

If i put the 3720QM back, the GPUs comes back and works just fine again.

Is there any logical explanation for this behavior?

Okay.. strange problem just happened when messing about with setup 1.x and internal setup without external hooked up using 2570p and 680 gtx evga using bplus 2.1a. (Have been using for about a year without issues, also have a clean dsdt override that I did to make this setup work with my 750TI before getting the 680).

If I right clicked on external before, the nvidia panel would show up but on the internal it would not - this didn't bother me as I always have used externals.

But the other night I was bored and wanted to mess about without the monitor so I reran setup 1.x, wasn't really sure what to run if anything (but it wouldn't recognize the card until then). Got it working (still is) but the usb xbox 360 wired controller is no longer recognized by games. It's recognized in windows, no flags of any kind but in all of the games I've tried (fallout 4, shift 2, bastion, don't starve, others etc.) it defaults to keyboard/mouse.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice before I reinstall everything (something I don't want to do). I tried various work arounds like starting windows without setup 1.x as before, rerunning setup 1.x with other options (including just plain reset), starting without the card, then plugging it in, but it still recognizes nvidia on both screens (unlike before) and regardless of which screen is main, the controller isn't being recognized. Seems like an odd bug to have, hoping for some advice.

Thanks.

Newbie here, possibly on the wrong the thread, im using E-gpu Beast EXP GDC, Asus GTX560Ti 1GDDR5 worked a treat coexsisting with my laptop's 240m on dual monitor, so i blindly assumend anything would work, purchased myself a Msi GTX960 2GDDR5 to improve my experiance & got CODE 12.

I'm conisdering getting instead a GTX770 lightening BUT, im still not 100percent what is the problem & im asking myself if its something todo with the 2gb ram on these cards becuase the gtx560ti only had 1gb ram & worked?

I'm using Lenovo Y550P *PM55 chipset, 4GB ram, Windows 7, 700watt psu.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So around the same time the forums here went down, the EXP GDC died. I'm not sure if it's just solely the DC adapter that's dead and maybe it can be replaced, (the company that I bought the board is giving me hell and a limb for the past week to prove that it's actually dead. I don't think I'm going to get my money back, let alone an actual repair without being $25 in the hole.) or maybe the ATX ports work. I do have a generic 300w PSU, but I don't know if the amperage (15A) will wreck/under-power both my GPU and whatever remaining ports left.

Either way, my eGPU journey is definitely on hold. Had I known I was going to get screwed by GearBest, I would had hold off. I'm pretty sad about it, but it is what it is. Maybe I'll take a stab at trying to fix it myself. Maybe the solder needs to be reheated, I don't know lol.

Hey I've been searching all over to see if there is any information regarding my problem, but I have failed to find any information that gives any advice to solve it. 

I recently decided to hook up my egpu dock, the PE4C v2.1, paired with a Thermaltake TR2 430W and a GTS450. I remember the first time I installed the egpu, it worked fine and I eventually used a GTX470 on the dock. Later I thought my laptop died because it wouldn't turn on (couple months later), but upon fumbling around with it, I got it to come back to life by taking out some faulty ram. Now that I hooked it back up like I had it before, all I'm getting is a solid red light and no power whatsoever...There is also no detection between the dock and the laptop as well. I'm truly at a loss right now...I have no idea what is wrong. I've tried turning the laptop off and turning it on while hooked up, I've tried using x1 and x2 (x2 doesn't even have any light). I really need some help figuring out how to get this to work again.

Hey I've been searching all over to see if there is any information regarding my problem, but I have failed to find any information that gives any advice to solve it. 

I recently decided to hook up my egpu dock, the PE4C v2.1, paired with a Thermaltake TR2 430W and a GTS450. I remember the first time I installed the egpu, it worked fine and I eventually used a GTX470 on the dock. Later I thought my laptop died because it wouldn't turn on (couple months later), but upon fumbling around with it, I got it to come back to life by taking out some faulty ram. Now that I hooked it back up like I had it before, all I'm getting is a solid red light and no power whatsoever...There is also no detection between the dock and the laptop as well. I'm truly at a loss right now...I have no idea what is wrong. I've tried turning the laptop off and turning it on while hooked up, I've tried using x1 and x2 (x2 doesn't even have any light). I really need some help figuring out how to get this to work again.

Does Setup 1.3 detect it at all? Or is this your laptop that's faulty? It sounds like it's a voltage/power issue

i have problems with pe4c 3.0 .

couldnt find solution.

System Windows 10 
Fujitsu lifebook u572   
cpu i7 3517u   8gb ram
Tagan TG500BZ 500w
zotac gtx 950 (100% tested)
when i connect my old video adapter(geforce 9600gto) to pe4c mpcie  BIOS loading windows loading video goes to external monitor.
when i am trying to do same with gtx950 nothing happend- bios doesnt load/// no video on both monitors(internal and external) 
i tried hot swap in sleep( windows 10 doesnt have standby) /hot turn on in sleep / turn on with perst delay-> black screen, and nothing.

device manager and nvidia installer cant see device if i turn on it on boot manager screen

if I hot swap wifi with mpcie in sleep mode gpu fan is working and it is not detectable in device manager

Should Perst delay on 3rd position make 14 sec longer picture to appear when u starting system? Because it takes like same time on my old GeForce 9600 gto ... (Maybe sw1 and sw 2 are broken)
Dont even know what should I try :(

30 minutes ago, Roman said:

Pi have problems with pe4c 3.0 .

couldnt find solution.

System Windows 10 
Fujitsu lifebook u572   
cpu i7 3517u   8gb ram
Tagan TG500BZ 500w
zotac gtx 950 (100% tested)
when i connect my old video adapter(geforce 9600gto) to pe4c mpcie  BIOS loading windows loading video goes to external monitor.
when i am trying to do same with gtx950 nothing happend- bios doesnt load/// no video on both monitors(internal and external) 
i tried hot swap in sleep( windows 10 doesnt have standby) /hot turn on in sleep / turn on with perst delay-> black screen, and nothing.

device manager and nvidia installer cant see device if i turn on it on boot manager screen

if I hot swap wifi with mpcie in sleep mode gpu fan is working and it is not detectable in device manager

Should Perst delay on 3rd position make 14 sec longer picture to appear when u starting system? Because it takes like same time on my old GeForce 9600 gto ... (Maybe sw1 and sw 2 are broken)
Dont even know what should I try :(

Pls work through https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8947-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/ including jumpering the PSU to be always on and also test isolating pin 22 of the mPCIe adapter to bypass the BIOS detection black screen on boot.

Hi Nando,

Just want to thank you for your software!!!!

At the moment I´m runing Windows 8.1 with my eGPU with no problems.

I´m using your DIY eGPU 1.20 version with my MBPr 2012 and Zotac 970, the performance is great, and the best part for me is how the internal MBPr temperature is reduced drastically.

What is really funny is I spended last weekend testing the eGPU with a coupple of friends and one of them have one huge PC, watercooling, 32 ram, Geforce 970, etc... when we test both with Heaven Benchmark I allways got high scores!! xD I feld so proud...

Another courious thing is before i bougth the 970 I was trying de eGPU with a GTX 660 Ti and it work without your soft doing nothing special, just install the drivers,

Thank you so much again!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys,

I am facing some problems trying to get my egpu to work. This is my setup:

Thinkpad T430

i5-3320m
8GB RAM
160GB SSD

Win7 Prof. 64bit

ASUS GTX670 mini

450W beQuiet! PSU

EXP GDC Beast
Thermaltake Core V1

After some fiddling around, the eGPU works, but the whole system slows down.

I performed a DPC-latency-check - red area. I narrowed it down to the egpu, which means that this device is not working properly.
I also tried booting Windows first, then hot-plugging the egpu - I get Error code 12.

As this is a wll known issue, I wanted to perform a DSDT Override - but as I am not a techy guy, I just can't get it to work as the instructions provided just do not seem to work for me.

I have read that another T430 owner performed such an override, so it should be possible. Is there someone that can help me? 

I spent money and time into this setup.. I would be happy to get this working by christmas..

Sorry for my english btw ;)

How can I get internal screen to with Nvidia? When I try to run a game it closes just after it opens. Setup: gtx 970, 500w psu, Pe4c version 3.0. Just got Nvidia card because of play on my laptop screen. Help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.