eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hello. I am in need of help.

I purchased a 2570p after reading this thread and looking into a laptop I could upgrade my Compal 14" to that could take my quad i7 and reduce the weight while adding on an eGPU.

I have a i7 3820qm and 8 GB of RAM with an 8.1 UEFI install.

I have a PE4L 2.1 and 660ti card. When I plug the card in I am able to install drivers and after a restart Windows recognizes my device and says it is working with no errors but I cannot output to any external monitors and if I try to open the nvidia control panel nothing happens.

Hello. I am in need of help.

I purchased a 2570p after reading this thread and looking into a laptop I could upgrade my Compal 14" to that could take my quad i7 and reduce the weight while adding on an eGPU.

I have a i7 3820qm and 8 GB of RAM with an 8.1 UEFI install.

I have a PE4L 2.1 and 660ti card. When I plug the card in I am able to install drivers and after a restart Windows recognizes my device and says it is working with no errors but I cannot output to any external monitors and if I try to open the nvidia control panel nothing happens.

Uninstall existing NVidia and Intel iGPU drivers, use the DDU utility to remove all Intel and NVidia GPU registry entries. Reinstall latest iGPU and NVidia desktop drivers and test again.

Thank you. I was able to get it working today. Turns out the issue was not enough power being supplied. Thought 300w from an old machine would be enough. Had it working briefly and blew the power supply out completely when I ran 3D Mark.

T510 is Gen1 only capable. Have you tried reinstalling your OS or drivers to attempt to correct your issues?

Sory i know this is impromptu, but have been following this thread for sometime now. But just decided to give it a try Hence Just registering.

I have an old HP Dm4 1165 dx laptop with four gigs of RAM , Intel HD Graphics, Windows 7 OS with a pre Core i5 450m (2.4 Ghz dual) Pre-SandyBridge processor.. It doesnt have an External PCI Express card slot but I plan to take out the Wireless Card (mPCI-e slot) for this purpose. I also plan to get the PE4C (Specifically PE4C-PM060A V3.0) from hwtools.net . From my Studies I feel I can use the x1.1Opt or X1.0 Opt to get "5.0 Gbps" with the Internal Gpu.

Can you please recommend someone who has successfully run a similar setup with the same specs to ease my Setup of the components and also recommend a RECENT compatible Nvidia Card to get (Incase I get a PCIe 3.0 compatible Laptop in Future). Power should not be an Issue as i have loads of Atx power packs hanging around.

Thanks In advance

Sory i know this is impromptu, but have been following this thread for sometime now. But just decided to give it a try Hence Just registering.

I have an old HP Dm4 1165 dx laptop with four gigs of RAM , Intel HD Graphics, Windows 7 OS with a pre Core i5 450m (2.4 Ghz dual) Pre-SandyBridge processor.. It doesnt have an External PCI Express card slot but I plan to take out the Wireless Card (mPCI-e slot) for this purpose. I also plan to get the PE4C (Specifically PE4C-PM060A V3.0) from hwtools.net . From my Studies I feel I can use the x1.1Opt or X1.0 Opt to get "5.0 Gbps" with the Internal Gpu.

Can you please recommend someone who has successfully run a similar setup with the same specs to ease my Setup of the components and also recommend a RECENT compatible Nvidia Card to get (Incase I get a PCIe 3.0 compatible Laptop in Future). Power should not be an Issue as i have loads of Atx power packs hanging around.

Thanks In advance

Your system is only Gen1 capable being a Series-5 system. Furthermore, no expresscard slot. Given how inexpensive notebooks are these days you might want to upgrade to a better eGPU candidate system with a Gen2 expresscard slot. A personal favorite being a 14" Dell E6430 or 15" Dell E6530 which are both very mod friendly:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#3rd

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html#post118135

In any case, I uses a same generation HP DV4-2000 to do a mPCIe eGPU implementation here. I needed a CLKRUN delay to get eGPU detection: Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - DIY eGPU experiences .

Ok Thanks.

But please Confirm if i can do the x1.1Opt or x1.0 Opt since I have an"Intel Hd Graphics"

If yes, does it mean i would at least be getting performance similar of close to the X2 setup? (ie x1 + Optimus +External Lcd)

Thank you. I was able to get it working today. Turns out the issue was not enough power being supplied. Thought 300w from an old machine would be enough. Had it working briefly and blew the power supply out completely when I ran 3D Mark.

So I got my new power supply and everything is working.

Elitebook 2570p

i7 3820qm

8 GB Ram

MSI GTX 660TI

Windows 8.1

Benchmarks:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

Are these results pretty good for my setup or should I be scoring higher?

Got my EXP GDC Beast working with my Elitebook 2560p, thanks to Tech Inferno Fan's tool.

Specs:

Elitebook 2560p

i7 2640m

8 GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Here is my 3DMark score with the 4870 @x1.20: 11692

Here is my 3DMark score with iGPU only: 4601

What I find weird is that my CPU score is actually 600 points lower when I use the eGPU. Does anyone know if that could have something todo with the eGPU?

Also I noticed with the HD4870 the framerates are extremly inconsistant (though I'm not sure this is a problem of the card itself and not because I'm using only one lane)

post-36371-14495000263425_thumb.jpg

Of course here I could just activate vsync and then it runs perfectly. For games like CS:GO is just too often goes under 60fps though, so that's not really a solution here. I will try it out with my GTX970 next week.

Hey Nando,

I have a Lenovo t430u (i7 3517u, 8gb ram,nvidia 620m dgpu) and Im using an exp gdc beast with a dell DA-2 power supply and an nvidia gtx 760. My problem is that when the beast is plugged into my mpcie port on my laptop the nvidia card doesn’t show up in the device manager regardless of what I do (uninstall drivers, plug in mpcie at different times etc). I have a nvidia 620m dgpu and when I try to install desktop graphics drivers for the 760 the 620 will be the one to show up in device manager instead. Will setup 1.x be able solve my problem and make the correct graphics card show up in the device manager and be usable?

Hey Nando,

I have a Lenovo t430u (i7 3517u, 8gb ram,nvidia 620m dgpu) and Im using an exp gdc beast with a dell DA-2 power supply and an nvidia gtx 760. My problem is that when the beast is plugged into my mpcie port on my laptop the nvidia card doesn’t show up in the device manager regardless of what I do (uninstall drivers, plug in mpcie at different times etc). I have a nvidia 620m dgpu and when I try to install desktop graphics drivers for the 760 the 620 will be the one to show up in device manager instead. Will setup 1.x be able solve my problem and make the correct graphics card show up in the device manager and be usable?

Boot with wifi card in the mPCIe slot, halt Windows from loading using F8/F12, hotplug the eGPU mPCIe adapter in it's place, and continue loading Windows. That method overcomes any mPCie whitelisting the BIOS may apply. Is the eGPU showing up in Device Manager? If not, do the same but boot into Windows, then sleep the system, replace the wifi card with mPCIe eGPU card, resume Windows. Is it detected.

If no in both cases, then suggest test in another notebook. If still get no detection then it's pointing to a faulty EXP GDC adapter. I'll advise that PE4C V3.0 is preferred over EXP GDC due to it's better Gen2 stability because of it's soldered cable: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-3-x-2-x-discussion-10.html#post135033

Hey Nando,

Doesn't show up at all?

For me setting PTC to 7S fixed that problem. Not sure if it's a good solution tho, but it seems to work fine.

Your system is only Gen1 capable being a Series-5 system. Furthermore, no expresscard slot. Given how inexpensive notebooks are these days you might want to upgrade to a better eGPU candidate system with a Gen2 expresscard slot. A personal favorite being a 14" Dell E6430 or 15" Dell E6530 which are both very mod friendly:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#3rd

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods.html#post118135

In any case, I uses a same generation HP DV4-2000 to do a mPCIe eGPU implementation here. I needed a CLKRUN delay to get eGPU detection: Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Single Post - DIY eGPU experiences .

Ok Thanks.

But please Confirm if i can do the x1.1Opt or x1.0 Opt since I have an"Intel Hd Graphics"

If yes, does it mean i would at least be getting performance similar of close to the X2 setup? (ie x1 + Optimus +External Lcd)

Please i wan to know if to go ahead with the purchase for now. Would be getting a PCIe 3.0 capable System at the end of the year Definitely.

Hey guys - hoping someone can help me before I redo everything.

So I have a 750 TI eGPU running (clean dsdt on *2540p and 2570p), using nando's setup 1.3 - no issues - but I wanted to upgrade to 670 and took a shot at a cheapo generic 670 card (OEM specs, no brand on it).

I thought that these cards were plug and play and didn't need an override, so I plugged it into my bplus 2.1a adapter.. and nothing. I have it running off a 12v rail through a 400w ATX. I wasn't sure whether or not to mess with the other power settings but I did it anyway, and eventually I got it going. I had it boot up windows, recognize the monitor, then the monitor would flicker if I extended to it. I'm not sure how I did this as I couldn't replicate it before work.

Basically - I'm sort of confused about what to plug where - I thought the 12v would be enough, should I hook up the Y splitter from the adapter to the top of the card too or how does that work? And should I redo the entire dsdt override/try to run this without setup 1.3? I tried doing it without the external monitor and setup would recognize the card using the 12v rail sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't - but when I would boot, the system just hangs.

Main reason I bought this thing is I thought it would be plug and play but google isn't showing much in terms of what to plug where aside from 12v into your adapter and into your express slot (I have pe4L) and you're good to go.

Any help would be great.

Ahh dammit - after hours of messing with it I think I either broke the card or the card was already broken because now the fan doesn't even spin. I've tried all the methods out there and nothing works. Back to my 750 TI and I guess. At least it's portable I guess. Maybe I'll buy another egpu adapter and a brand-name card this time. Maybe I wasn't/am not getting enough power or something - not sure how that's possible with a 350W atx that's powering up my 750 right now but I guess 750 TI barely takes anything to run by comparison. Oh well, was really looking forward to today ><

Hello!

I`m a new member.

I`ve just finished my TURBO configuration and ... it doesn`t work!

Problem description

1. What's the problem?

eGPU not detected. (Detect only nVidia Geforce GT 750M)

2. Have you consulted the Troubleshooting FAQ to resolve the issue?

- yes

3. Have you consulted the Pre-Purchase FAQ --> "2. How can I check if my notebook is compatible with an eGPU?"

- yes

Platform Description

1.Windows 10 Preview

2. MacBook Pro 15 retina mid 2014, 2.5 Core i7, Geforce GT 750M

3. 16 GB

4. GigaByte GeForce GTX 970 1178Mhz

5. Corsair 600w CX600w

6. Akito Thunder2 PCIex box

What i check

- I connect both 6 and 8 pin to eGPU

- I made molex-2-barell from base Akito DC power barell connector and Molex-2-2xSata

- I use standart thunderbolt-thunderbolt from Akito box

- I use paperclip tip

What i try:

- Turn off eGPU

- Connect eGPU with MacBook

- Power up Macbook with OPTION key

- Power up eGPU (blue light appear and cooler on eGPU started)

- Choose boot from Windows

- eGPU not detected

- Turn off eGPU

- Connect eGPU with MacBook

- Power up eGPU (green light appear and cooler on eGPU started)

- Power up Macbook with OPTION key

- Choose boot from Windows

- eGPU not detected

---

Also i have MacMini mid 2011, core i5 with 16GB Ram

If the solution isn`t find i can install Windows and test configuration.

What i doing wrong?

Hi,

I have the lenovo G570 (4334) i5 2410M.

I've already got 8GB RAM and replaced the main HDD with a SSD.

I've even been able to run some demanding games (like GTA V, civ beyond earth) without major issues but want to be able to push the graphics a bit more.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in running an eGPU in this laptop?

Thanks

Bert

hy!

I'm new here!

i've a dell latitude e6530 with hd 4000, 16GB RAM, windows 7 64 Bit and a vidock 4 with an gtx750ti OC!

So i need do DSDT Override my laptop, because my tolud is over 3,5gb!

So i did it like writen down at your manual but i still got now this error:

post-36500-14495000276054_thumb.jpg

Does anybody know the problem or a solution?

I'm logged an with my account but i'm listed in the group administrators!

BR from Austria

Hi,

i have problem with my eGPU

it cant work with internal LCD

i keep getting the error 43 and error 12

but when i run it with external LCD it work nice

and i played bf4 and complete shadow of mordor game with it

and the internal LCD shutdown by it self when the external is working

i have EXP GDC Beast

with GPU GTX 750 ti FTW

my laptop is HP Pavilion Dv6-6c65sx Windows 8.1 pro

with i7-2670QM

and intel hd 3000 + AMD 7690M xt GPU

the amd gpu is already dead and disabled by bios

and 8gb ram

the 43 error can dissapear if i disable and enable the egpu again

but it wont work

i can see Nvidia control panel when i click right on desktop ONLY when i use external LCD

but not working with internal

and also the GeForce Experiance cant detect gpu with internal LCD

but the driver installer can detect it

and everything is nice with external LCD but im using TV and my neck is hurts my :c

the GPUz detect the eGPU but the normal core + mem clock is 0 and the default is normal

to make the external LCD works with me i had to set bios setting to PCI vidio and enable something with PCI express Graphic setting i forgot what was it clear.png:P

i hope some one can help me with this

Hello

my current setup is:

- LenovoG560

- i3, 4 gb of ram

- GTX 550 TI to an external Monitorthrough VGA using express card

I'm currently using it with the DIY Egpu setup 1.30 and i have troubles.

I don't know how to set up the configuration for it, i download the drivers of the GTX and it is working in my external monitor, but the problem begins when i open World Of Tanks (the game) the FPS rate is strange. when i start the match is usually going at 60 fps like in my regular tower PC but when the game is at 4 minutes and start to be threes and other objects it falls to 17, 8, 21,12,18, 8.... fps and start lagging a lot. how can i instal this properly? or fix the issue, moreover when i try to start the computer using the setup 1.30 it appears an error and it says me press another key to reboot. for rebooting i cant have conected the graphics card cos the screen is black, so i poen the laptopwithout the graphic i open windows 7and when windows is running i plug in the card and the monitorscreen opens.

hy!

I'm new here!

i've a dell latitude e6530 with hd 4000, 16GB RAM, windows 7 64 Bit and a vidock 4 with an gtx750ti OC!

So i need do DSDT Override my laptop, because my tolud is over 3,5gb!

So i did it like writen down at your manual but i still got now this error:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15193[/ATTACH]

Does anybody know the problem or a solution?

I'm logged an with my account but i'm listed in the group administrators!

BR from Austria

ViDock support is at https://www.facebook.com/VillageViDock and Village Tronic Support .

Good luck.

Hello

my current setup is:

- LenovoG560

- i3, 4 gb of ram

- GTX 550 TI to an external Monitorthrough VGA using express card

I'm currently using it with the DIY Egpu setup 1.30 and i have troubles.

I don't know how to set up the configuration for it, i download the drivers of the GTX and it is working in my external monitor, but the problem begins when i open World Of Tanks (the game) the FPS rate is strange. when i start the match is usually going at 60 fps like in my regular tower PC but when the game is at 4 minutes and start to be threes and other objects it falls to 17, 8, 21,12,18, 8.... fps and start lagging a lot. how can i instal this properly? or fix the issue, moreover when i try to start the computer using the setup 1.30 it appears an error and it says me press another key to reboot. for rebooting i cant have conected the graphics card cos the screen is black, so i poen the laptopwithout the graphic i open windows 7and when windows is running i plug in the card and the monitorscreen opens.

Hi Guys,

I have a FSC Amilo Xi3670 (QX9300/8GB/4500MHD+NV130M). I used my eGPU with AMD 6850/7850 1GB VRAM cards before, but I thought it is time to change to Nvidia. So I bought a Quadro K2000D 2GB VRAM as I need 10BPC. Anyway so I tried to run this setup but it seems it is just not willing to work. (Error 12). As I can see it is down to the DSDT and so I tried to do it myself. I had 3 errors at the beginning after a bit of research there is only 1 error left, but I can not solve it.

Could anyone help with this please? Will this even solve the issue (error12)? As I mentioned I used to use my eGPU setup with no problem whatsoever with the AMD cards.

post-31077-14495000277856_thumb.jpg

DSDT.txt

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Hey all,

I have been looking all over the forums, and cannot find a solution to my problem anywhere.

I am using the EXP GDC Beast, with a Sapphire R7 260X card via ExpressCard to my HP EliteBook 8460p.

Drivers and everything are installed, the card is seen fine in device manager, but with the Code 12 cannot allocate resources error. I have performed a DSDT override, but the error persists (Radeon HD 7400M internal graphics also disabled).

I will attach some screenshots of my memory allocation, and any help is appreciated.

post-36539-14495000281322_thumb.png

post-36539-1449500028159_thumb.png

post-36539-14495000281865_thumb.png

post-36539-14495000282131_thumb.png

Hi

Sorry for bothering but I´ve got this gpu freezing-everything-blocking issue with an eGPU. The adapter is a PE4H-EC2C-060B and the GPU is a GeForce GTX660Ti. OS is Win 8.1. After freezing, usually while gaming, I take out and put the expresscard quickly and the eGPU recovers from the freeze.

Here I have an AIDA64 report in case anyone is interested.

https://mega.co.nz/#!FMpmwBbT!D-qXNdP06B4WYYuzNOH_P8h7ERXc1cne-ccPh-YiX2k

Hi

Sorry for bothering but I´ve got this gpu freezing-everything-blocking issue with an eGPU. The adapter is a PE4H-EC2C-060B and the GPU is a GeForce GTX660Ti. OS is Win 8.1. After freezing, usually while gaming, I take out and put the expresscard quickly and the eGPU recovers from the freeze.

Here I have an AIDA64 report in case anyone is interested.

https://mega.co.nz/#!FMpmwBbT!D-qXNdP06B4WYYuzNOH_P8h7ERXc1cne-ccPh-YiX2k

Change PSU and try again

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.