eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

hello nando,

i just bought your setup 1.3 to make my egpu work but it doesnt....

i tried all solutions but it says no solution.

ive got a HP2570P with a gtx 750 ti.

can you help me please.

GTX750Ti has a large PCIe config space requirement, just like GTX650/GTX9xx and AMD cards. You will require a DSDT override which is explained how to do for a 2570P at http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge-33.html#post75316 .

Yes. I started The Witcher, Rayman Origins, and Kerbal Space Program, but fans didn´t move. I didn´t play for more than 1 minute, since I started hearing a little noise from the GPU (like data transfering, or electricity, I don´t know) and I was afraid of burning it. Should I try to put it under a harder load?

EDIT: You were right. It works!! I tried MSI Afterburner, and the fan speed was set to auto according to a temperature/speed curve. Now I'll try to do some benchmarks so I can post them here. Thank you very much for your help!

Coil whine [emoji1] my exp gdc v6 has a lot of it when gpu is under full load :-)

And for the fans why should they spin if the card is cool enough.

Hi everybody, i'm new guy use eGPU EXP GDC Beast more than 1 months, yesterday i update the last nvidia driver and play without problem but the day after i can't use eGPU but only one time i can connect and install driver-> restart-> from that point i can't use anymore

Dell XPS 15Z L511Z

i7-2640M 2.8Ghz

12GB Ram

GTX 970 GiGabyte Winforce 3XOC

Dell adapter DA-2 220W

Nvidia Graphics Driver 350.12

Can anyone help me with this ? Sorry for my bad English

Hi everybody, i'm new guy use eGPU EXP GDC Beast more than 1 months, yesterday i update the last nvidia driver and play without problem but the day after i can't use eGPU but only one time i can connect and install driver-> restart-> from that point i can't use anymore

Dell XPS 15Z L511Z

i7-2640M 2.8Ghz

12GB Ram

GTX 970 GiGabyte Winforce 3XOC

Dell adapter DA-2 220W

NvidiaGraphics Driver 350.12

Can anyone help me with this ? Sorry for my bad English

Maybe someone else with better knowledge will reply, but meanwhile Im going to state the obvious: one or more of your components have died: gpu, beast adapter or dell power adapter.

You should test all of them if possible (like test GPU on a desktop computer etc).

I had same symptoms when my Beast died (it was my own fault though - I connected wrong 4-PIN ATX power supply connector to Beast), I was able to game for one day, then restarted system and eGPU was not recognized anymore (just showed up as generic VGA in device manager), on next restart it did not show up at all in device manager.

Can you see the GTX 970 card in device manager?

Maybe someone else with better knowledge will reply, but meanwhile Im going to state the obvious: one or more of your components have died: gpu, beast adapter or dell power adapter.

You should test all of them if possible (like test GPU on a desktop computer etc).

I had same symptoms when my Beast died (it was my own fault though - I connected wrong 4-PIN ATX power supply connector to Beast), I was able to game for one day, then restarted system and eGPU was not recognized anymore (just showed up as generic VGA in device manager), on next restart it did not show up at all in device manager.

Can you see the GTX 970 card in device manager?

Yes, it show in device mangaer and i can install nvidia driver but i restart everything is doom and stuck, i think mcpie cable have issue

Hi nando,

i just bought setup 1.3 to make egpu wih my HP2570P and my newGTX 750 ti.

I tried all solutions but it doesnt work i have got code error 12.

ive got 16 Go dual channel RAM and i5 in my hp.

can you help me please?

Hi nando,

i just bought setup 1.3 to make egpu wih my HP2570P and my newGTX 750 ti.

I tried all solutions but it doesnt work i have got code error 12.

ive got 16 Go dual channel RAM and i5 in my hp.

can you help me please?

Answered your query previously at

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-485.html#post132887

Hi everyone,

Beast arrived today and after few hours of chat with rgpu (to who I am really thankful), we can't figure out my issue. In points:

- laptop Dell 7720 with dGPU GT 650M

- today updated BIOS to latest A16

- laptop has 3D screen and iGPU Intel HD 4000 is not visible in Device manager (it means 650M is the only available card)

- EXP GDC Beast is supplied with ATX 400W PSU

- using miniPCI version instead of wifi

- today tested GTX 660 and older 8600GT cards

- neither one of them was visible in Device manager - neither one as VGA adapter

- with rgpu checked the cable connections, all are good

- eGPU not visible in Device manager, but if I turn off the power supply, my laptop screen will become black, hard reset required

- I tried the same steps with disabled/uninstalled 650M, no progress

Thank you for any help, much appreciated. I will post any photos if required.

Thank you once again

you should provide more details. like when you are using GTX 660, then you are not powering it from PSU - because your PSU has no PCI-E power cable. It probably has not got enough power.

In case of 8600GT - it draws max 43W (Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com), but I am no expert on this matter - I do not know if Beast can supply that much power from PCI-E lane alone or if such old card is at all supported. because this card only supports PCIe 1.0 x16. Experts should comment if he can use it by default, he might need some 1.3 setup or whatever to switch to PCIe 1.0?

Im using a gtx 960, 500w psu, pe4c v2.1, and Lenovo g505 laptop with mpci connection. My gpu doesn't get detected at all and when I try to remove the whitelist I get an error 201 when trying to flash my bios to remove whitelist any help?

p.s. When ever I boot with gpu connected I get black screen help?

Thanks for all the info on this thread and the linked, Wikis and guides. My EXP Beast arrived yesterday, i bought it to see if I could liven up my old Precision M4400 so with this hopefully a 750ti and it's new QX 9300 it would stay pretty potent for another year or two since my newer laptop is more limited gpu wise. After wresting around with it I got the install but got the Code 12 when I was first testing with a GT 430, so dropped from 4gb to 3gb and walla it was working, was getting some strane issues, If I ran the GT 430 as the main and GPU and external display only I would lose either my Wifi or my audio. Luckily after getting the GTX 750ti installed that issue went away and its been relatively smooth sailing with that card other then a weird keyboard backlighting issue which i had to mess around with. I was worried after runnning 3dmark06 and the 750 ti barely outscored my discrete Quadro 1700m. I fired up The Crew, a game my 1700m can't play on lowest above 25FPS, and the game was running in 1080p at 30-60FPS so that was successful, BF4 was a disaster ( lots of FPS stutter and Frame lag) and GTA V was running a lot better until i tried to move then the FPS dropped like mad. I know to get the 4gb and the card I have to prob do the DSDT override but that is a bit over my head atm and the current OS is not staying because it has been acting weird for the last 5 months even though it says it should be fine. Again thanks for the thread I will be reading more and might have some questions here in a few days.

[h=1][/h]

you should provide more details. like when you are using GTX 660, then you are not powering it from PSU - because your PSU has no PCI-E power cable. It probably has not got enough power.

In case of 8600GT - it draws max 43W (Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com), but I am no expert on this matter - I do not know if Beast can supply that much power from PCI-E lane alone or if such old card is at all supported. because this card only supports PCIe 1.0 x16. Experts should comment if he can use it by default, he might need some 1.3 setup or whatever to switch to PCIe 1.0?

Hi,

right now I am testing third GPU - Nvidia GTX 745 (OEM). This one should take 55W and min power requirement 300W (it has no 6 or 8 PIN so power goes only to GDC Beast).

To be sure, I tried another PSU - ATX 300W from older desktop (I m lucky to have that HW around...)

Unfortunately, still the same result. my eGPU doesn't get detected in Device manager at all !! Tried to turn it on/off as described, plug/unplug, uninstall Nvidia drivers... only what I got is that after reboot it will install again my dGPU 650M... iGPU is not visible, too, (what I read) because my laptop Dell 7720 has 3D screen = no Optimus = Intel HD 4000 never visible...

Am I missing something? Could Setup 1.30 solve this damn issue pls ? Are any other options to try? Red light is on, fans are spinning, miniPCI is instead of wifi... Malfunction of GDC Beast?

Thank you guys, this answer could definitely help also to another user here, Megaxxx, who has probably the same laptop as me.

EDIT: to provide more details about my testing:

- I guess my TOLUD is 3GB (on image below)

- I didn't uninstall the Wifi drivers, will do after this post (image of wifi module below)

- each time I plug/unplug eGPU my screen goes black - that is weird, especially because no eGPU found in Device manager

- using Windows 7 64bit

- in my BIOS I don't see any option to disable dGPU

post-35291-1449500003146_thumb.jpg

post-35291-14495000031268_thumb.png

Hi, I have bios A16 there is no way to disable the built-in video card, this can be done by setting Setup 1.30, or flash the BIOS on the unlocked (there should be such a possibility). You disappear from the manager built dGPU 650M?

Hello again, I ran 06, 11 and 13, but as it was the first time I did this, I don´t understand the results. My laptop is:

HP Elitebook 8460p

i5 2520m 2.5 GHz

8GB RAM

iGPU: Intel HD 3000

no dGPU

SSD Samsung Pro 840 500GB

eGPU: Asus Strix Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 DirectCU II OC Edition 2GB

I tried the three benchmarks with internal LCD, connection with expresscard x1.2.

With 3Dmark06 I had a problem. When I ran the software, It changed my screen colors to a lower setting and when the benchmark finished, it threw a 0 result.

3Dmark11

Score P6213

Graphics Score 7963

Physics Score 3709

Combined Score 3801.

3Dmark13

Fire Strike 4734

Sky Diver 11125

Cloud Gate 8801

Ice Storm 24068

As I said, I don´t understand any of these results, if they're high or low...

Ok I fixed the d4 thing now I need help with disabling my apu and running the egpu I longer get error 12 because I dsdt override. I have all the drivers installed, but even when i disable apu it still says its running how do I fix also its wlan connection not expresscard, any help?

I know it's a bit of a older system but I was wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the eGPU performance.

Imgur

a few games in my testing have improved performance over the integrated, so I am not fully trusting the benchmark. I am assuming the express card only being PCIe 1.1 is bottlenecking the 750ti just wondering if there is anything I can do to improve that?

Specs. Dell Precision M4400

Core 2 Extreme QX9300 @ 2.55 (stock speed undervolted)

3gb of ram DDR2 800 (if I run 4gb I get Code 12)

discrete GPU Quadro FX 1700m

eGPU is the EXP Beast over express card and the card is a GTX 750ti 2gb, PSU is a OCZ Fatality 550 watt

I know it's a bit of a older system but I was wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the eGPU performance.

Imgur

a few games in my testing have improved performance over the integrated, so I am not fully trusting the benchmark. I am assuming the express card only being PCIe 1.1 is bottlenecking the 750ti just wondering if there is anything I can do to improve that?

Specs. Dell Precision M4400

Core 2 Extreme QX9300 @ 2.55 (stock speed undervolted)

3gb of ram DDR2 800 (if I run 4gb I get Code 12)

discrete GPU Quadro FX 1700m

eGPU is the EXP Beast over express card and the card is a GTX 750ti 2gb, PSU is a OCZ Fatality 550 watt

Yes. If you acquire a PE4H 2.4a eGPU adapter you can run up to a x4 1.1 link as has been done at http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/8326-15-dell-m4400-gtx460-r9_290%408gbps-mpcie1%5E4-pe4h-2-4a-win7-%5Bhishamkali%5D.html . Though you may want to compare cost against a system upgrade to say a 15" HP 8570P or Dell E6540 where you'd get a simpler x1 2.0 expresscard configuration along with a faster CPU that's upgradable to quad-core.

Thanks Nando for the reply, I will have to think about the PE4H. The M4400 is my secondary system, my main system is a Toshiba S55-A5188 with a i7 4700mq and 12gb of DDR3 and HD 4600 graphics (which is better then the precision 1700m by a bit). I just decided to give this a go to see if I could get some games to run that the Toshiba and precisions graphics couldn't handle. I saw that banggood has the Mini PCIe cable for sale for $20 I might get that and try it in the Toshiba, any ideas what the system would be running? I would assume at least gen 2 PCIe? Also is the ac adapter that you can use with the Beast the Dell DA-2 220 watt adapter?

Its detect but, not functioning the the gpu is brand new, using pe4c v2.1, and the fans only spin if it over heats says on the manual any way to fix this and get it properly working the laptop g505 says its fine but it wont run any help?

Heres a pic: http://gyazo.com/deecc3d7647cee6740b245a43a4caba2

p.s. when ever I right click my desktop the mouse load sign will just load forever and not change why is that?

Its detect but, not functioning the the gpu is brand new, using pe4c v2.1, and the fans only spin if it over heats says on the manual any way to fix this and get it properly working the laptop g505 says its fine but it wont run any help?

Heres a pic: Gyazo - deecc3d7647cee6740b245a43a4caba2.png

p.s. when ever I right click my desktop the mouse load sign will just load forever and not change why is that?

Your power supply unit is probably not enogh for the 960. I occasionaly had this error with my 660ti with only a 350W PSU which could only bear 19.5A on the 12V rail.

Hi, everybody

I buyed PE4C V2.1 with PM100C, and then I plug in vga card to PE4C, and then plug in power supply. power supply turn status on and then 2 green led. and turn vga card fan. and then laptop power off and 1 red light led. and then laptop power on but laptop black screen, and power supply status off, just after laptop is boot and open.

Laptop is Acer Aspire 5733

RAM 4 GB

iGPU intel HD

VGA Card is Sapphire R9 285

Power Supply is crossair 450 watt

RAM : 4GB

When Laptop status on, If I powersuppyle status turn on, again 2 green led and turn vga card fan, but windows 7 or windows 8.1 not see vga card. add remove hardware window search new hardware but not find.

and then I change switch 2 (500ms) laptop is open, PE4C 2 green led and turn vga card fan but not see windows 8.1 my vga card, I do not see a PCIe hardware list.

What is the problem? Help me please

Hi, I have bios A16 there is no way to disable the built-in video card, this can be done by setting Setup 1.30, or flash the BIOS on the unlocked (there should be such a possibility). You disappear from the manager built dGPU 650M?

Hi Megaxxx, yes, my eGPU is not visible in Device manager. I'll wait for any advise or do you have any ideas? Do you also have the 3D version of Dell 7720?

@Nando4 is probably the best techpro guy here... so I guess answer from him might be most helpful for us.

Thank you

Hi Megaxxx, yes, my eGPU is not visible in Device manager. I'll wait for any advise or do you have any ideas? Do you also have the 3D version of Dell 7720?

@Nando4 is probably the best techpro guy here... so I guess answer from him might be most helpful for us.

Thank you

Hi, I have a matrix monitor FullHD LED, glossy anti-glare. I have been buying at a problem that propodaet of despechera eGPU card.

Solution:

Remove the battery, wait, plugged in without the battery. Both cards appear in the Device Manager, but nVidia GeForce GT 650M again with an error for lack of resources. Next, disconnect both cards Manager, turn off the notebook, insert the battery, turn on the laptop, and both employ the cards since nVidia GeForce GT 650M. Works.

Next, check the settings:

The nVidia control panel settings to set "preferred graphics processor: a high-performance processor nVidia", "power management modes: preferred maximum performance." Then we go into the power settings, additional power plan settings, Pci express- link state power management - from network: Off.

Then he came along the A16 BIOS flashed him more was no such problem!

Ok I fixed the d4 thing now I need help with disabling my apu and running the egpu I longer get error 12 because I dsdt override. I have all the drivers installed, but even when i disable apu it still says its running how do I fix also its wlan connection not expresscard, any help?

Hi,

How fixed you d4?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.