eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi everyone,

I got an MSI Ge60 Apache Pro15,6" 860M version, I'm playing a lot of games and I'm a streamer. Im studying college thats why i cant build an desktop for my own. I just want an external build fro my laptop. I heard some products are selling by thunderbol 2. Is that work with my notebook? Im plan to buy an 960-980 Graphic Cards to playing game. But Are those thunderbolt 2 products work with these GPu? and is it work with my notebook? I knew how to build an PC but build an external GPU for laptop was extremely strange to me. =.=

Thanks for reading this,

Cheers,

Potumn

Hello.

This is my first thread on this forum, so I apologize in advance for any shortcomings.

I've decided to write in this topic because my laptop has more than three years, and I did not want to replace it with a new one.

For this reason I decided to upgrade my laptop. I replaced the CPU and added RAM. My laptopmodel is a Packard Bell TS 11 HR. The original set consisted of Intel i3-2330M processor, 4GB of RAM, integrated GPU IntelHD Graphics3000 and dedicated GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M. After the upgrade I have inside the i5-2410M CPU (not edited greater due to the max TDP), 8GB RAMand graphics cardsmentioned above. The performance of the laptop is actually very good, but what makes it can not achieve full potential, it is relatively weak NVIDIAgraphics. For this reason I became interested in the subject of anexternal graphics card. Because the eGPU set is very expensive in order to currency in my country (in Polandsuch this kits are not available) so I decided to do it myself (to see if it's worth to spend so much money). On the basis of articles and pinouts mPCI and PCIe I created project in Eagle and soldered to PCIe Riser, plugged it all to the power (PC PSU) and... nothing happend. It does not work - laptopdid not detect the graphics card. After plugging in the HPlaptopof my friend it displayed a message that the wrong device has been connected . I was accused of this, But one last browsing laptops proposed for eGPU saw on Your list Acer ASPIRE 5750G - laptop, which is mounted in the same motherboard, as in my Packard Bell TS 11 HR (P5WE0). So there is my question - what to do for this to work, or even if it work on my laptop. Accessories for eGPU is very expensive - if it turns out that it does not work it will be a waste of money. Below are photos and screenshots that might come in handy. Please help and sorry for the long post and my bad English.

post-35168-14494999833092_thumb.jpg

post-35168-14494999833333_thumb.jpg

post-35168-1449499983356_thumb.jpg

post-35168-14494999833781_thumb.jpg

post-35168-14494999834004_thumb.png

post-35168-14494999834252_thumb.png

Hello.

This is my first thread on this forum, so I apologize in advance for any shortcomings.

I've decided to write in this topic because my laptophas more than three years, and I did not want to replace it with a new one.

For this reason I decided to upgrade my laptop. I replaced the CPU and added RAM. My laptopmodel is a Packard Bell TS 11 HR. The original set consisted of Inteli3-2330M processor, 4GB of RAM, integrated GPU IntelHD Graphics3000 and dedicated GPU NVIDIAGeForce GT 520M. After the upgrade I have inside the i5-2410M CPU (not edited greater due to the max TDP), 8GB RAMand graphics cardsmentioned above. The performance of the laptopis actually very good, but what makes it can not achieve full potential, it is relatively weak NVIDIAgraphics. For this reason I became interested in the subject of anexternal graphics card. Because the eGPU set is very expensive in order to currency in my country (in Polandsuch this kits are not available) so I decided to do it myself (to see if it's worth to spend so much money). On the basis of articles and pinouts mPCI and PCIe I created project in Eagle and soldered to PCIe Riser, plugged it all to the power (PC PSU) and... nothing happend. It does not work - laptopdid not detect the graphics card. After plugging in the HPlaptopof my friend it displayed a message that the wrong device has been connected . I was accused of this, But one last browsing laptops proposed for eGPU saw on Your list Acer ASPIRE5750G - laptop, which is mounted in the same motherboard, as in my Packard Bell TS 11 HR (P5WE0). So there is my question - what to do for this to work, or even if it work on my laptop. Accessories for eGPU is very expensive - if it turns out that it does not work it will be a waste of money. Below are photos and screenshots that might come in handy. Please help and sorry for the long post and my bad English.

This is never going to work. Where do you get the power from? How do you solve the delays (CLKREQ & PERST#)? If you want to make the adapter yourself, go to hwtool's website, download the schematic of pe4c or pe4l, and design your own pcb.

Hi everyone,

I got an MSI Ge60 Apache Pro15,6" 860M version, I'm playing a lot of games and I'm a streamer. Im studying college thats why i cant build an desktop for my own. I just want an external build fro my laptop. I heard some products are selling by thunderbol 2. Is that work with my notebook? Im plan to buy an 960-980 Graphic Cards to playing game. But Are those thunderbolt 2 products work with these GPu? and is it work with my notebook? I knew how to build an PC but build an external GPU for laptop was extremely strange to me. =.=

Thanks for reading this,

Cheers,

Potumn

Unfortunately, the MSI GE60 does not have a ThunderBolt port; the only TB-equipped laptops by MSI are the WS60 and GT60.

Somewhat irrelevant now, but the 900 series gpus are TB2 (x4 2.0) capable as shown http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#post89707

The power is come from ATX PSU, CLKREQ and PERST are from mPCIe in my laptop.

Schemes have seen, but they are the parts that are not available in my country.

You can use similar parts which you can buy in Poland, or you can buy the genuine ones on ebay.

Hello everyone,

I'm comming to you as I've got some troubles to get my eGPU setup working.

This is my laptop configuration :

PC : Clevo P170HM

CPU : Intel Core i7 2820QM 2.30 GHz

GPU : NVidia GTX 580M

RAM : 16Go DDR3

And now, here is my eGPU hardware setup :

PCI-E adaptor : EXP GDC Beast mini PCI-E version

Power : 550W external power supply

eGPU : Gainward NVidia GTX 970

My problem is that I've got a code 12 error when i'm on windows. I cannot disable my internal GPU and choose another one with my BIOS configuration neither.

So I bought eGPU setup 1.30 in order to solve this but all my attempts are not really conclusive for now.

Here is the setup that gives the best result for now :

post-35236-14494999836111_thumb.jpg

With this setup, I manage to get 0.5S of boot animation but then everything goes dark. Windows is running but nothing is displayed.

I don't know if it is a setup problem or a driver problem (even if I Installed the eGPU drivers).

I'm hoping that you'll help me to solve this problem.

Thank you !

P.S. : Both swithes ont the beast adaptor are on the off position. I tried other switch configurations but the laptop won't even boot.

Hello everyone,

I'm comming to you as I've got some troubles to get my eGPU setup working.

This is my laptop configuration :

PC : Clevo P170HM

CPU : Intel Core i7 2820QM 2.30 GHz

GPU : NVidia GTX 580M

RAM : 16Go DDR3

And now, here is my eGPU hardware setup :

PCI-E adaptor : EXP GDC Beast mini PCI-E version

Power : 550W external power supply

eGPU : Gainward NVidia GTX 970

My problem is that I've got a code 12 error when i'm on windows. I cannot disable my internal GPU and choose another one with my BIOS configuration neither.

So I bought eGPU setup 1.30 in order to solve this but all my attempts are not really conclusive for now.

Here is the setup that gives the best result for now :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14685[/ATTACH]

With this setup, I manage to get 0.5S of boot animation but then everything goes dark. Windows is running but nothing is displayed.

I don't know if it is a setup problem or a driver problem (even if I Installed the eGPU drivers).

I'm hoping that you'll help me to solve this problem.

Thank you !

P.S. : Both swithes ont the beast adaptor are on the off position. I tried other switch configurations but the laptop won't even boot.

Please run Save Diags->compact_fails. Then reboot windows, run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount as admin to get V: drive. WINZIP/WINRAR the v:\diag folder, upload to mediafire.com and send me the link. FYI: you should not be ignoring the dGPU as doing so allows allocation of other devices over it. Windows7 requires the primary GPU to be active and functioning for secondary ones to work. Win8.1 allows secondary ones to work even if the primary doesn't.

Thank you for your answer.

In fact, disabling the dGPu was to release the resources for the eGPUin order to resolve the code 12.

But if you say that using windows 8 would simplify the process, I will probably go back to it.

Anyway, here is the diag you requested.

Thank you for your help

You have a NVidia dGPU and eGPU. Proceed to uninstall ALL existing NVidia drivers, run DDU to clear all NVidia entries from the registry, then install the latest NVidia desktop driver.

Upon reboot if you have error 12 then proceed to perform compaction. The diags show you have sufficient 32-bit PCIe config space to host both.

Firstly, ensure Chainloader->Test Run works prior to any PCIe compaction.

Then proceed to do compaction testing the following configuration settings. This gives 16 (2*4*2) combinations to try. After each, select Chainloader->Test Run to see if you can successfully chainload the OS, error 12 gone and system stable.

* endpoint = 3.87GB, 4GB

* scope (selected when you do Run Compact) = eGPU, dGPU+eGPU, All except SATA+, ALL

* closeunusedbridges = off, on

* ignore = NONE

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello everybody! I'm new to the eGPU software, but after a bit of fiddling with the EXP GDC Beast and rebooting several times, I finally got the thing to be recognized in eGPU 1.3. I'm not sure what I should do next. I'm trying to get the GPU to run while using the internal monitor.

I have a Compaw Presario CQ57 laptop.

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Intel 6 series chipset

Intel i7 2620m CPU

I'm trying to get a GTX 660 to work on this laptop. As my PSU I'm using a Dell ac adapter running 12v on 18a.

SCN000.BMP

Hello everybody! I'm new to the eGPU software, but after a bit of fiddling with the EXP GDC Beast and rebooting several times, I finally got the thing to be recognized in eGPU 1.3. I'm not sure what I should do next. I'm trying to get the GPU to run while using the internal monitor.

I have a Compaw Presario CQ57 laptop.

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Intel 6 series chipset

Intel i7 2620m CPU

I'm trying to get a GTX 660 to work on this laptop. As my PSU I'm using a Dell ac adapter running 12v on 18a.

Set Chainloader->mode=MBR. Confirm chainloading works by doing a Chainloader-Test Run.

Then reboot back into Setup 1.30, highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and hit F1. Over 20 different PCIe compaction scenarios as listed to try. After each successful run do a Chainloader->Test Run and check system stability and error 12 removal.

Hi,

I'm writing here because I spent the whole day on the new graphics card but without success :(

What I've got:

Lenovo T540p (iGPU+dGPU)

Geforce GTX 970

The Geforce shows up in the device manager but with error 12 (not enough ressources). Of course, I read the FAQ and tried the following things:

1. DSDT override: the command "iasl -oa dsdt.dsl" shows 8 syntax errors with weird combinations of commands ...like some words/commands/signs are completely missing or mixed up and I have no idea how to fix them

2. PCI compaction with Setup 1.3.

2a. normal: no solution is found

2b. ignore[dGPU]: When I start the compaction there are 2 ACPI errors ("Argument count mismatch for method \_SB_.PCI0.VID_.GLIS 2 1 (20100") and at the end when it says "press [enter] to return to menu" the system freezes an I have to hard reboot it.

3. In the boot option when I select the chainloader, I directly get back to the boot selection...nothing happens...is this right?

Here is a picture of the PCI memory:

post-35262-1449499983776_thumb.png

As far as I understood, the laptop should be able to handle the eGPU since the TOLUD is low enough, right?

So what can I do next? Or do you have a hint for one of the above problems? I'm a bit lost here...

Thanks!

inspire

Hi,

I'm writing here because I spent the whole day on the new graphics card but without success :(

What I've got:

Lenovo T540p (iGPU+dGPU)

Geforce GTX 970

The Geforce shows up in the device manager but with error 12 (not enough ressources). Of course, I read the FAQ and tried the following things:

1. DSDT override: the command "iasl -oa dsdt.dsl" shows 8 syntax errors with weird combinations of commands ...like some words/commands/signs are completely missing or mixed up and I have no idea how to fix them

2. PCI compaction with Setup 1.3.

2a. normal: no solution is found

2b. ignore[dGPU]: When I start the compaction there are 2 ACPI errors ("Argument count mismatch for method \_SB_.PCI0.VID_.GLIS 2 1 (20100") and at the end when it says "press [enter] to return to menu" the system freezes an I have to hard reboot it.

3. In the boot option when I select the chainloader, I directly get back to the boot selection...nothing happens...is this right?

Here is a picture of the PCI memory:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14692[/ATTACH]

As far as I understood, the laptop should be able to handle the eGPU since the TOLUD is low enough, right?

So what can I do next? Or do you have a hint for one of the above problems? I'm a bit lost here...

Thanks!

inspire

Set Chainloader->Mode=MBR, do Video Cards->dGPU[off], then do Chainloader->Test Run. Sometimes disabling the dGPU is enough to free up resources to allow the eGPU to be allocated.

Set Chainloader->mode=MBR. Confirm chainloading works by doing a Chainloader-Test Run.

Then reboot back into Setup 1.30, highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and hit F1. Over 20 different PCIe compaction scenarios as listed to try. After each successful run do a Chainloader->Test Run and check system stability and error 12 removal.

Okay, so I did this. I did a PCI Compaction on the iGPU, then I chainloaded into Windows 8 successfully. I don't know where the error stuff is. Now there's a display adapter generically listed as, "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." What should I do now? post-35242-14494999838202_thumb.png

Hello all ! ,

I recently bought an adapter from EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

replaced the internal wifi card , plugged it in with GPU and PSU, booted system , installed latest nvidia drivers

All went well without problem. Device Manager reports all 3 gpu's (iGPU HD3000 , dGPU GT525m , eGPU GTX680) without errors.

However with the eGPU plugged in , nvidia control panel no longer works , reporting that there is no display attached to an nvidia gpu (im only using internal LCD) , and thus i cannot select optimus eGPU for processing.

What am i missing here ? Should i perform some other action first ? for example disabling dGPU to make optimus work with eGPU+iGPU ? Would disabling dGPU solve the "no display attached to nvidia gpu" error message and finally allow me to proceed ?

Mind , i only used latest HD3000 drivers + latest Nvidia notebook drivers.

No bootloaders etc

Thanks in advance for your valuable help!

Install the drivers.

Right Click > Properties to view errors

So I installed the driver! Then I restarted and after a couple of tries got the GPU detected, and chainloaded into Windows 8. Now it's giving me the code 43. I don't know what to do from here.

post-35242-14494999838583_thumb.png

So I installed the driver! Then I restarted and after a couple of tries got the GPU detected, and chainloaded into Windows 8. Now it's giving me the code 43. I don't know what to do from here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14697[/ATTACH]

Remove all existing NVidia and Intel drivers, use DDU to remove all NVidia and Intel references from the registry. Download and install latest Intel HD3000 and NVidia drivers. If still problematic, check your power wiring. If using a mPCIe adapter then use any PCIe Reset Delay (CLKRUN/PERST#) on the eGPU adapter in preference to hotplugging after boot.

Remove all existing NVidia and Intel drivers, use DDU to remove all NVidia and Intel references from the registry. Download and install latest Intel HD3000 and NVidia drivers. If still problematic, check your power wiring. If using a mPCIe adapter then use any PCIe Reset Delay (CLKRUN/PERST#) on the eGPU adapter in preference to hotplugging after boot.

Okay, will do! Just wondering what exactly hotplugging is? Also, with this Beast eGPU adapter using the 6s, 7s, and 14s switches don't really yield much success from booting the laptop when it's shut down. I have been unplugging the HDMI to mPCIe cable, I power it, then I plug it in once the screen turns on. Even doing this I have to reboot eGPU 1.3 at least a couple times for it to recognize the GPU.

Set Chainloader->Mode=MBR, do Video Cards->dGPU[off], then do Chainloader->Test Run. Sometimes disabling the dGPU is enough to free up resources to allow the eGPU to be allocated.

Hi,

I followed your instructions and when I chose "test run" there is this message:

Warning: status all_alloc isnt yes some unallocated pci devices exist......"

when I continue anyway, the gtx970 has an error code 43 in the device manager and wifi as well as my bluetooth mouse dont work...so I tried reinstalling the nvidia and intel drivers but the result is always error 43

I also tried the PCI compaction with all possibilities like it is mentioned in the F1 help but the best I could come up with is a successful boot to windows with error 43...I just cant find a way to avoid this error. Tech Inferno Fan, do you have another idea?

Hi guys,

I am few clicks from ordering either BPlus or Beast... but to be really sure, if anyone of you have any recommendations/experience with this laptop, please help.

Link for this laptop:

Review Dell Inspiron 17R-SE-7720 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

For this chipset should work miniPCI (instead of wifi).

Which one should work better?

Any possible compatibility issues?

Setup 1.30 required?

Recommended GPU ?

Stuttering, BSOD?

Anything you know might help, thank you once again.

Heyo! I tried doing this but it still yields the same result. Error 43.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.