eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

GTX750Ti requires 256MB + 32MB of adjacent PCIe config space, as does GTX650 and GTX9xx. Unless you can get the DSDT override to work, you're not going to have space to host the eGPU unless you run with (unworkable) 2GB. If can't get a DSDT override to work then consider:

- using a GTX560Ti/660/670/760/770 which require 128MB+64MB+16MB (or less) PCIe config space.

- use Win8.1, which allows the eGPU to function even if the iGPU is not working. The idea there would be to use say Setup 1.30 to have the eGPU hijaak the iGPU PCIe config space so the iGPU would error 12 and eGPU work work. Still not idea since you would need an external LCD, no accelerated internal LCD mode.

First I'd like to say thank you @Tech Inferno Fan. You're amazing!

I think I'll get the GTX 670 and run it with an xbox 360 PSU. I like win 7. My rig has been running rock stable with it. If all goes well, I'll post a small guide.

First I'd like to say thank you @Tech Inferno Fan. You're amazing!

I think I'll get the GTX 670 and run it with an xbox 360 PSU. I like win 7. My rig has been running rock stable with it. If all goes well, I'll post a small guide.

very glad to know your success.. what the benchmark of you....is there any laggy response?

Short question: Are there any issues with external power usage when using riser cables?

So due to travel within the next few years, I'm currently rebuilding my machine into an ITX mini pc so it's easier to carry. I currently have i5 4670K and I'd like to use this in a M350 itx chassis with a 160W picopsu power supply. The TDP for the CPU is already 84W

This is the projected build

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kaiyoti/saved/BZvhP6

As you can see based on the estimated power usage on load, this does not leave much room for PCIEx16 which can go up to 75W from my research. I have an AMD 7950 3gb card that I would like to use.

Am I out of luck or do I need a full sized PSU? Are there risers that can supply power as well... so like a PE4C but with a x16 source?

Otherwise I'd probably stick with an itx board with mini pcie, should still allow me to game on highish settings.

Any tips would be appreciated.

However, when my eGPU is attached, the computer will take about 5-10 minutes to get into windows, CPU usage bounces between 50-80%, the mouse and audio both stutter, screen redraws are ABYSMAL, and I can't get the GTX at any speed other than 1.1. Furmark hangs at the beginning, but seems to do alright after a few seconds, giving a score of 2541. Perhaps I'm not versed well enough in eGPU Setup to get the settings right. Nothing seems to get the eGPU out of "[email protected] 10de:[email protected]" in Setup, or "PCI-E 1.1x16@x1 1.1" in CPU-z.

Sounds like your eGPU isn't capable of running reliably at Gen2 link speed. Use Setup 1.30 to switch your expresscard slot to Gen1 (PCIe Ports->Gen1), then re-test your eGPU functionality noting if this fixes the system slow downs you describe.

I am trying to make my connection setup nice and find this P22S-P22F extender. I also searched and found it is usd in this guide. This guide only use Gen1 speed but I have a PE4C V2.1 on Gen2. I can't find any info about its supporting gen or speed on web. I assume it will also work on Gen2 speed since it is just an extender with some wires and passive components, but I just want to be safe.

Has any one ever tried to use it with a Gen2 adapter?

Hello again, I've made some progress since my last post.

My GTX 660 has only been working on my external monitor with its port at Gen 1 speed -> dgpu ignored & off. (Ideally I want to run it on the external monitor.)

If its port is set to gen 2 the laptop will only load on its own LCD with GTX 660 showing error 43. Booting without 1.3, the card displays error 12.

My new problem is that the GTX 660 at gen 1 speed 99% of the time will load up on the external monitor up to log in screen and freeze once I'm typing in password. At one point I was able to actually load into main screen > check > device manager > and see the GTX 660 had no errors! But alas... display froze. My heart sank right then.

To reach this point I've been using Setup 1.3 > dgpu ignored & off > port 1 at gen 1 > (iGPU + eGPU) 36bit compaction b/c of DSDT override

Any ideas as to how I can get past this freeze / hang issue?

System details:

Samsung NP550p5c

Ivy Bridge Intel i7 - 3610QM

8GB RAM

iGPU - Intel HD 4000

Adapter - EXP GDC Beast w/ Dell DA-2 psu.

Dear Nando,

Today I upgraded my Lenovo T420 Ram to 16Gb. I am running on windows 8.1

3dmark06 benchmarks is 14810

And 3dmark11 is 3990only

This is too frustrating for me. Is there any problem here?

Please response..

thanks

Dear Nando,

Today I upgraded my Lenovo T420 Ram to 16Gb. I am running on windows 8.1

3dmark06 benchmarks is 14810

And 3dmark11 is 3990only

This is too frustrating for me. Is there any problem here?

Please response..

thanks

If you find that running with 8GB gives better performance then it seems, your machine too has the issue with the eGPU running slow with 16GB of RAM installed on a Lenovo.

I do not have any known reason for this. You may try to limit the RAM available to Windows to see if that makes a difference as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9541-e4310-how-get-16gb-ram.html#post128915 . Another thing to try would be a DSDT override, allocating the eGPU into 36/64-bit space (56.25GB) to see if that helps. Though users have had some difficulties doing the DSDT override on Lenovo machines: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi there, I'm new on this. I'm planning to buy a GTX 980 and a PE4C v2.1 to use with my laptop and a external monitor, I already have a 500 watt PSU so I'm not buying a Dell 220W DA-2 adapter.

My system:

• Dell XPS 15 L502x
  • Intel HM67 Chipset
  • Intel I7-2670QM
  • 4GB RAM (planning upgrade)
  • iGPU Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • dGPU Nvidia Geforce GT 525m
  • Two mPCIe2 slots (I'll use WWAN/TV slot)
  • Windows 8.1 Pro

eGPU components would be:

• EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5
  • PE4C-PM100C v2.1
  • Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W
  • External monitor
  • DIY eGPU Setup 1.x

My questions are: Performance will be 85% at least? Will exist bottleneck? Any suggestions?

Dear Nando, I never get error 12, and I was getting pretty cool benchmark result with GTX 560, but after upgrading to GTX 750ti the 3dmark06 is getting low below 15000, I wonder if the GTX 750ti is a good card then GTX 560....Please see attached images of post #4638 when my Lenevo T420 running 8GB RAM....please suggest me if it is necessary to get setup 1.3 software to get actual performance of GTX 750 ti....

Hi there, i have reveived my EXP GDC, connected cables, led light is red but system don't detect any device. (fans spining)

when i reboot my notebook it is freezing on asus logo.

Notebook Asus K53SV

i saw the Asus A53 on implementations list. i think both devices same. what should i do for this problem ??? sorry for my bad language.

Where do you want to place the eGPU? Just naked outside of the M350? Without additional power and a riser you might be able to make a GTX 750 Ti work that doesn't need additional power.

Hi Tech Inferno Fan,

i have an exp gdc and r9 270x with asus k53 notebook. i have problem with setup. system doesnt detect my egpu. should i buy your setup ? is this software useful for this setup (AMD graphics card)?

Hi. I just setup my egpu and i'm very happy with the performance. However I'd like to know how to enable 1.2 Opt on my system. I'm using EXP GDC, Lenovo Thinkpad W520, and GTX 560 Ti. Thanks.

If you already have purchased setup 1.x, from what I've read I think you Run Compact > ignore dGPU. Then > Videocards > dGPU Off. > run startup.bat > Chainload to OS

<strike>Optimus just doesn't work for my setup even if my eGPU is also Nvidia, but this might be worth trying if you haven't already done so. </strike>

Anyone more experienced correct me if i'm wrong, just trying to help.

If you already have purchased setup 1.x, from what I've read I think you Run Compact > ignore dGPU. Then > Videocards > dGPU Off. > run startup.bat > Chainload to OS

<strike>Optimus just doesn't work for my setup even if my eGPU is also Nvidia, but this might be worth trying if you haven't already done so. </strike>

Anyone more experienced correct me if i'm wrong, just trying to help.

Thanks anyway. I found out a small program called NvOptimusTestViewer64.exe can help you to determine whether Optimus is enabled and working. I don't need to do anything to get Optimus, it's already working. Very amazing.

Hi Nando,

I've read through almost every guide out there and cannot figure this part out - do I need to address/fix all the errors in the dtsd override? I receive hundreds of errors (tried guides to fix those etc.), and blue screen that forces me to reinstall windows/restore if I load the tables with the qwordmemory code. Basically do I have to do the override step for your setup 1.3 to work? Cause I'm really stuck there.

I'm using a 2540p win7 64 bit home with a 750 TI SC (essentially, copied a setup used by eddynator http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6851-12-hp-2540p-gtx750ti%402gbps-c-ec1-pe4l-2-1b-win7-%5Beddynator%5D.html except I have a SSD instead of a normal hdd if that matters.

I sure hope I don't have to do that :( Cause I'm really really stuck with all these errors and reinstalls and I really want to just buy your setup right now and play some damn games. Please let me know if the override is needed - thank you!

Hi Nando,

I've read through almost every guide out there and cannot figure this part out - do I need to address/fix all the errors in the dtsd override? I receive hundreds of errors (tried guides to fix those etc.), and blue screen that forces me to reinstall windows/restore if I load the tables with the qwordmemory code. Basically do I have to do the override step for your setup 1.3 to work? Cause I'm really stuck there.

I'm using a 2540p win7 64 bit home with a 750 TI SC (essentially, copied a setup used by eddynator http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6851-12-hp-2540p-gtx750ti%402gbps-c-ec1-pe4l-2-1b-win7-%5Beddynator%5D.html except I have a SSD instead of a normal hdd if that matters.

I sure hope I don't have to do that :( Cause I'm really really stuck with all these errors and reinstalls and I really want to just buy your setup right now and play some damn games. Please let me know if the override is needed - thank you!

The GTX750Ti is one of the problematic cards that requires a contiguous 256MB+32MB of adjacent PCIe config space. All i-core or newer Elitebooks with just an iGPU would not be able to allocate that eGPU into 32-bit PCIe config space due to the bios-locked TOLUD setting being too high. Setup 1.30 can't perform PCI compaction there because there is no room to compact into.

The solution then is to either work through the DSDT override and get it working or use a NVidia card that has lower PCIe config space requirements such as a GTX560Ti/660/670/760/770. GTX650/750/9xx will all be problematic. Another method that could work is to use Win8.x and disable the iGPU. The idea there is to allow the eGPU to hijaak the iGPU config space. Win8 differs to Win7 in that it allows a secondary GPU to function even if the primary is disabled. If you got that to work you wouldn't have an accelerated internal LCD mode.

The other solution with your current eGPU is to run the system with 2GB of system RAM, as eddynator is doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow thanks for such a quick and in-depth response. Yes - I was aware of the issues - I just figured as long as I followed that guide I'd be okay (I really like this notebook for my work and the card is such a good deal). I also saw that others have gotten it to work.

If you read further down - eddynator had originally run it with 2 gb but had successfully switched to 4+2 at the end.

So basically in summary - my options are - install win8.. which is probably out of the question due to work.. fix the override errors (I've gotten them down to 149 - but I have no clue of why I'm getting so many - my current laptop has 28 for example and it's old/outdated etc).

How about win10 - will that allow me to disable igpu/work with your setup?

I also won't be using the internal for gaming - so it's fine if it's not accelerated. It will always be plugged into my 1080p viewsonic.

Okay - I will spend the weekend fiddling with the override - I've signed up for macforums to ask for some advice as they have a forum dedicated to it and this kind of stuff actually relaxes me (I shoulda been a coder I guess).

If that doesn't work.. is it possible to boot off a caddy hdd once I get a caddy in? I could install win8 into it and just hot swap (or leave it in) when I want to game. Or perhaps dual boot win7/win8 off same drive if needed (I've never looked into dual booting before but losing ssd would kinda suck).

In the mean time - I'm going to go see if the 2 gb memory option works - again thanks for the quick response. Maybe the other poster got this to work because he had win 7 enterprise and I have home.. or because I have ssd and he doesn't - I have no other changes to my system. Not really sure why it was so simple for him.

Wow thanks for such a quick and in-depth response. Yes - I was aware of the issues - I just figured as long as I followed that guide I'd be okay (I really like this notebook for my work and the card is such a good deal). I also saw that others have gotten it to work.

If you read further down - eddynator had originally run it with 2 gb but had successfully switched to 4+2 at the end.

So basically in summary - my options are - install win8.. which is probably out of the question due to work.. fix the override errors (I've gotten them down to 149 - but I have no clue of why I'm getting so many - my current laptop has 28 for example and it's old/outdated etc).

How about win10 - will that allow me to disable igpu/work with your setup?

I also won't be using the internal for gaming - so it's fine if it's not accelerated. It will always be plugged into my 1080p viewsonic.

Okay - I will spend the weekend fiddling with the override - I've signed up for macforums to ask for some advice as they have a forum dedicated to it and this kind of stuff actually relaxes me (I shoulda been a coder I guess).

If that doesn't work.. is it possible to boot off a caddy hdd once I get a caddy in? I could install win8 into it and just hot swap (or leave it in) when I want to game. Or perhaps dual boot win7/win8 off same drive if needed (I've never looked into dual booting before but losing ssd would kinda suck).

In the mean time - I'm going to go see if the 2 gb memory option works - again thanks for the quick response. Maybe the other poster got this to work because he had win 7 enterprise and I have home.. or because I have ssd and he doesn't - I have no other changes to my system. Not really sure why it was so simple for him.

Yes, @eddynator got 6GB + eGPU with Win7 to work after successfully applying the DSDT override to create a large memory area and using Setup 1.30 to pre-allocate the eGPU into the large memory (56.25GB). See relevant quoted text below:

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 (A GREAT Victory!) (6gb, GTX 750ti sc, DSDT override, DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 software):

On May 24th I learned the way the dsdt file works, export, modify, repair, compile, /loadtable. But windows was unable to assign resources to my eGPU (error 12), I will not get in more details here.

On May 25th I got in touch with Nando, to ask about setup 1.3, I made a very happy 25$ donation and I got it the day after.

On May 26th I got ready my 1.30 setup, pci compaction, and my eGPU got the resources needed from the long memory range. Now the SD card reader, seems not to work (error 12) but I don’t care, I usually use micro SD, and plug it into the computer with an USB adapter, so it doesn’t bother me.

First testing, I windows experience classification: 7.6! (on graphics and game graphics) up from 3.3. So let’s play. But before… I have got the 3D nvidia kit, screen, glasses… would it work?

Yes it worked, I made a handmade video, to not lose fps with some recording software, and well, I was so excited that I just grab my mobile and start recording.

- my options are - install win8..

I must say that I never got it running under win8. But that was long time ago.

I had some bad experiences with Windows 8 and computers. When you install it, Windows 8 tries to install its own drivers. And you can afterwards install the latest drivers, but when you restart the PC it will come up with a black screen. What happened there? Windows didn't tell you must restart your computer to apply changes on drivers, and if you don't, and install e.g. last nvidia drivers, they will overlap the restart modifications. So you got that problem.

Something odd was happening with Windows 8 and my nvidia GPU. :P

But as I already told, that was long time ago.

Yes, @eddynator got 6GB + eGPU with Win7 to work after successfully applying the DSDT override to create a large memory area and using Setup 1.30 to pre-allocate the eGPU into the large memory (56.25GB). See relevant quoted text below:

Hi, sorry this part is kind of going over my head. I've been up for 24 hrs and 12 of those spent on this so that's part of it.. but in the quoted text he simply says he will not go into more details - I'm not sure what you mean by pre-allocate the eGPU into large memory (what memory? sorry again - not a pro at this stuff, learning as I read) - if so - can I do this with 8 gb or 4?

If I put in a 4 gb + 2, for some reason my main pc (current one), only sees 4 - haven't tried doing it with the HP because as edynator can attest.. the 2nd memory slot is a REAL pain in the arse to get to.

But hey on the plus side - I did have enough test before I have to go to take out the sticks and I'm up from 3.3 to 7.7 :D With 7.6 disk transfer rate and 6.5 processor score that's not bad!

Memory calculations though :( 5.5

I don't want to spam so I'll quickly respond to eddy - hey man - didn't know you were still around - I'm too new to PM but noticed you only had 2 posts and yet here you are :D Yes, I know you couldn't get win8 to work but I've read several posts where 2450p people did get win8 to work. I'll be happy to find links when I return if needed - but they never said how or I would've bookmarked them.

But do you mind pointing me in the direction of how you went about figuring out override issue? You said you have done a lot of reading - do you happen to know where/what? I'd be more than happy to do the same and post a guide after... do you think it has something to do with you having win7 enterprise and only 6 gigs of ram vs my 8? Any clue at all?

I mean brand new install and even though it's used, the laptop is a rock (I was waiting for a deal for ages and finally lucked into one), so what do all these errors mean - faulty hardware/poor combinations or? I couldn't figure out what the errors fundamentally mean during my research as I was tunnel visioned on simply finding ways to fix them.

Thanks for your guide - and I hope I can replicate your success without needing to mess with win8 (I have it on my other laptop and god I hate it.. and it just wouldn't work well for work). Okay I guess I'm gonna be late again.. have to teach my student something about confidence intervals and t scores... I don't know lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya,

Thanks for your report - I have read quite a bit of successful ones with your setup but I guess I went with the wrong laptop - I'm really happy with it for work purposes but yeah =/

If I do most of the steps you mention, I get issues (usually just doesn't start). Maybe I'll just buy the x230 lol. That's part of the reason I love this setup - I can have backup laptops.. and it's flexible.. etc.

Hi,

I am reporting back with my 750Ti I mentioned about on post #4626

I ran into an error code 12 with my X230. However, I did find a way around it; although someone more experienced can tell me the underlying mechanisms.

If I plug in my egpu system with the external monitor attached to the gpu (1080p via VGA to DVI) prior to boot, I will not get past the bios password screen, where I just end up with a sustained black screen.

If I plug in the egpu setup after I have booted into windows, I get an error 12 in device manager.

Now, if I plug in the egpu setup without my monitor attached prior to boot, the entire system boots up and I get no errors in device manager (below is a screen shot of my memory allocation). Further, if I plug in the monitor at this point, I get video on the monitor (but not on the laptop).

Overall, I am unsure how this works and whether there are lost benefits. Furthermore, I am unsure if I have optimus working at all as I only installed Nvidia drivers for the 750 ti and not any optimus driver. Nevertheless, I am pleased I have gotten this far.

Thus, the following is my setup and benchmark results:

Lenovo Thinkpad X230 2306-CTOBIOS 2.62

2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 ram

Smasung 840 EVO SSD

PE4L v 2.1 to expresscard adapter (set to 1 on both settings)

EVGA NVIDIA 750 Ti (non-superclocked) 2 GB (347.88 Nvidia Drivers)

EVGA Corsair 600w 80+ Bronze

Windows 7 64 bit

3DMark06 (1280x800; PhysX NOT set to CPU; no HDMI audio): 18862 (8 gb ram); 19177 (16 gb ram)

I also have a T430S so I ran the same setup as well. The same problem and workaround also occurred with the T430S.

Lenovo Thinkpad T430S 2353-9VU BIOS 2.62

2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 ram

320 GB HDD

PE4L v 2.1 to expresscard adapter (set to 1 on both settings)

EVGA Nvidia 750 Ti (non superclocked) 2 GB (347.52 Nvidia Drivers)

EVGA Corsair 600w 80+ Bronze

Windows 8.1 Pro

3DMark06 (1280x800; PhysX set to CPU; no HDMI audio); 21359

3DMark Demo Firestrike 1.1 (1920 x 1080): 3649

Cinebench R15: 78.68 FPS

If anyone wants, I can upload pictures of my memory allocation during the two scenarios.

Cheers,

Louiek

edit/update

Hi again Nando - regarding what you said about needing windows 8 to disable igpu "Another method that could work is to use Win8.x and disable the iGPU. The idea there is to allow the eGPU to hijaak the iGPU config space"

I have managed to do this in windows 7, albeit with 2 gb of ram - it's kind of rough to do (sometimes it works some times it doesn't and I have to disable/enable/restart couple times). Would the setup help me in this instance or is it simply working due to only having 2 gb of ram? (the internal and external will not work together even on 2 gb). And I'm still receiving hundreds of dsdt errors.. still no luck finding a working explanation anywhere.

My next step is to try and setup win8 if all else fails and dual boot it. I'm downloading the trial right now. Will I need setup for win8 or did you mean I will simply be able to disable internal gpu with win8 and have this thing work with 8 gb of ram w/o the dsdt override needing to be fixed?

Speaking of Thinkpads.. I'm not sure if is relevant but the code I found on some other page had a fixed number for memory length - is this what you also meant and what I should try?:

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

0x0000000000000000, // Granularity

0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum, set it to 48.5GB

0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum, set it to 56.25GB

0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset

0x00000001F0000000, // Length calculated by Range Max - Range Min.

,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

the 56.25 sounds familiar to what eddy seem to have been saying. I'm going to try that later tonight after jerry rigging a 2nd hdd into the hp (just don't feel like doing the entire restore/reinstall again (for some reason my restore points would not work).

edit: Oops I take that back - I can have both laptop IGPU and egpu going at once.. just never checked to extend. But I can still disable igpu from DM and it shows 'no resources allocated' to it. Hm. I wonder if there's some way I can do the same with more ram. Each time I tried this in the past I'd just get black screens on both.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.